Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195382 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #4095 on: June 07, 2022, 08:14:11 PM »
Aren't you contagious days before symptoms arise anyway?  There's so much grey areas with these testing things.  You feel sick, stay at home or limit public contact where you can.  I don't see what a COVID test is going to do to make you do things differently anyway than you normally would if you get sick.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4096 on: June 07, 2022, 08:39:41 PM »
I mean, if you want to judge then go ahead? If the tests aren't accurate then why are so many people relying on them? How can you say they aren't accurate if it's showing many people getting it?

I just shared that I was testing and haven't popped for it yet, I didn't expect that of all things to raise eyebrows. Jeeze. I also live with my parents until I move out next week, as I've been here for a few months, so there's that on top of everything else...

At the end of the day I just want to know if I have it. And I've been to proper testing places as well. I'm not just relying on these home tests. Would never have thought being proactive was questionable.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4097 on: June 07, 2022, 08:43:19 PM »
I mean, if you want to judge then go ahead? If the tests aren't accurate then why are so many people testing positive? How can you say they aren't accurate?

I just shared that I was testing and haven't popped for it yet, I didn't expect that of all things to raise eyebrows. Jeeze. I also live with my parents until I move out next week, as I've been here for a few months, so there's that on top of everything else...

At the end of the day I just want to know if I have it. And I've been to proper testing places as well. I'm not just relying on these home tests

Are you feeling sick?

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4098 on: June 07, 2022, 08:44:17 PM »
Mike, I'm not trying to bust your balls. I'm really not. You can test where and whenever you want. But I find it interesting why people do things the way they do in regards to Covid. You struck me as someone that didn't seem all that concerned, or at least was accepting life as it was, so when you said you were testing daily, I noticed.

To address this, until last year I worked with my family in a business of 4 employees. Currently I am not only back living with my family but I now work in a large space with hundreds of people, and as I already said my girlfriend, who I just spent a week with, has it badly. So I just want to know.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4099 on: June 07, 2022, 08:45:13 PM »
I mean, if you want to judge then go ahead? If the tests aren't accurate then why are so many people testing positive? How can you say they aren't accurate?

At the end of the day I just want to know if I have it. And I've been to proper testing places as well. I'm not just relying on these home tests

Are you feeling sick?

No, but I can have it and be asymptomatic. Anything else to ask...? If I have it, I can't bring it to my job.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4100 on: June 07, 2022, 08:47:13 PM »
I personally just don't understand the sense in testing daily if you're not even feeling sick regardless of close contacts but rules are pretty relaxed over here, no one gives a shit about it anymore in the slightest.  If you're asymptomatic, then you wouldn't know you're bringing it to your job.  Probably lots of people in the same boat.  They wouldn't test cause they're not sick.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4101 on: June 07, 2022, 08:47:40 PM »
I personally just don't understand the sense in testing daily if you're not even feeling sick regardless of close contacts but rules are pretty relaxed over here, no one gives a shit about it anymore in the slightest.  If you're asymptomatic, then good for you I guess.

I mean I've given you every reason under the sun to understand why I'm doing it, this isn't rocket science Kade, not sure what else I can tell you. Lethean gets it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4102 on: June 07, 2022, 08:49:58 PM »
I personally just don't understand the sense in testing daily if you're not even feeling sick regardless of close contacts but rules are pretty relaxed over here, no one gives a shit about it anymore in the slightest.  If you're asymptomatic, then good for you I guess.

I mean I've given you every reason under the sun to understand why I'm doing it, this isn't rocket science Kade, not sure what else I can tell you. Lethean got it.

All good Mike, you do you, apologies if I offended.  I just have a strong and it seems controversial opinion on the matter, don't mind me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4103 on: June 07, 2022, 08:51:15 PM »
It's all good, Mike.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4104 on: June 07, 2022, 08:51:42 PM »
Sorry if I sound perturbed but I was once dogged here for not wearing masks much anymore back in 21, but now I'm testing after a big fest and getting questioned about it? :lol

I thought so. And I certainly didn't dog you then, and I'm not dogging you now. I guess I was wondering what changed for you.

You just seem super concerned now about it.

I also work at a shipping facility with hundreds of employees...

Why would feel more susceptible at Progpower than you would at work with "hundreds of employees"?
Surely you don't test everyday after work, do you?

Again. Not super concerned. I don't fear covid. But I would like to know if I have it before going to work there each day. I'm not sure how you keep misinterpreting this as some fear or huge worry that I have. I'm just doing my part to stay aware. I don't feel more susceptible, I never said that. My point is that if I got it at the fest then I don't want to spread it anymore than I already might have.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4105 on: June 07, 2022, 08:52:08 PM »
All good folks, just felt like I wasn't getting my points across no matter how clear I was trying to be. No hard feelings buddies

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4106 on: June 07, 2022, 10:02:25 PM »
I just want to know why you think you got it specifically from the fest, when you and anyone else could have caught it elsewhere in Atlanta. At the pizza place, at wholefoods, at the MARTA rail-line where lots of random people are in a congested space, in their hotel rooms, the airport. We who attended all took this risk, and even though they did all they could by requiring testing/proof of vaccination, people still caught it apparently. Would you then assume with those protocols that everyone should've been fine. Imagine if someone who had a vaccination card ended up being asymptomatic and ended up being positive later on. Those that tested seems to me like the people who are for sure, not spreading the virus.

I am more concerned about it raining, me getting soaked, and it being pretty cold in McCray's when I went to eat. I say this because last time I had gotten myself soaked at work, and it was cold when I left, then a few days later had a cold with congestion, runny nose, and all that fun stuff.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4107 on: June 07, 2022, 10:22:59 PM »
Mike, I'm not trying to bust your balls. I'm really not.

And yet you are.  :biggrin:

Then in that case, probably best to avoid them for the next couple of weeks anyway. Not sure what testing has to do with it. These tests aren't 100% accurate. Not even close.

You're right... there is a strong likelihood of false negatives, but positive results are rarely 'false-positives'.  Positive RAT is pretty much always accurate (I've not heard personally, or in any news or medical releases, of issues around false positives)  And knowing if/when one is positive is never a bad thing - and it's never a bad thing to be proactive about it.  If not for the person that tested and told the crew (based on very mild symptoms) from the event I was at, I would've never masked and isolated in my own house for the 36 hours before my own symptoms came on, which ultimately saved the rest of the jingle.family from catching it.  So yeah, testing after being at an extremely high risk event ...  :tup

Being in indoor spaces elbow-to-elbow, unmasked for 60-90 minutes at a time, multiple times over a four day period is a HIGH risk event.  None of the other things you listed Ben are anywhere near as high risk as being inside Centre Stage for up to 20 sets of concerts.  It's completely logical to think and be concerned about catching it in that environment.  But I guess ignorance is bliss for some.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4108 on: June 07, 2022, 11:49:25 PM »
Ben, I never said I got it just from PPUSA. You also make a lot of assumptions about me in that post but they are invalidated by a post I already made the other night:

I don't see what the problem is with testing frequently. I had to travel to O'Hare and spent over 5 days in Atlanta around thousands of people.

You would not have had to lecture me if you just read that... sheesh.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 12:02:09 AM by Melphina »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4109 on: June 08, 2022, 12:30:33 AM »
I am more concerned about it raining, me getting soaked, and it being pretty cold in McCray's when I went to eat. I say this because last time I had gotten myself soaked at work, and it was cold when I left, then a few days later had a cold with congestion, runny nose, and all that fun stuff.

Getting cold and rained on doesn't cause the flu or a cold.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4110 on: June 08, 2022, 12:31:28 AM »
Ben, I never said I got it just from PPUSA. You also make a lot of assumptions about me in that post but they are invalidated by a post I already made the other night:

I don't see what the problem is with testing frequently. I had to travel to O'Hare and spent over 5 days in Atlanta around thousands of people.

You would not have had to lecture me if you just read that... sheesh.

I wouldn't be so sure on that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4111 on: June 08, 2022, 08:50:17 AM »
Kind of confused why you guys went so hard on him for testing after he said his gf (who I didn't even know was at the festival!) was positive.  It should be a no brainer at this point if you have a known close contact positive that you should test yourself to make sure the spread stops there.  I dont think his past of questioning mask use has any correlation to testing after known exposure.  I'm one of those "I'm over covid" types of people at this point, but all that still makes sense to do.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4112 on: June 08, 2022, 08:58:39 AM »

Getting cold and rained on doesn't cause the flu or a cold.

Right... as Stads often reminds us, correlation is not causation.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4113 on: June 08, 2022, 09:00:29 AM »
Marc, this was my response after Mike mentioned his girl.

OK. If your girl has it and you're a close contact, I get that. The way you posted was that you were just testing just because..

My only point was this constant testing seems excessive. Not MIKE's constant testing, but more in general. If anyone who goes to a high risk event, or has a close family member with it, then just assume that you may have it. I mean, other than getting time off from work, what's going to change?

Not directing this at Mike, but I think people are getting obsessed with constant testing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4114 on: June 08, 2022, 09:07:51 AM »
A lot of companies have specific time off policies for covid, mine for example does as it does not go against your allotted sick time.  So it is important to know if you have it and need time off from work.  I'm sure every company is different regarding this though. 

I'm not even sure who is obsessed with constant testing these days.  It may just be the bubble I live in, but most people don't seem to regularly test themselves unless they feel sick or had a known exposure.  I was at the same festival, I saw Mike there.  I have felt fine and I have not tested myself.  If Mike or someone else I had chatted with had told me they had covid, I may need to test myself just to make sure I don't expose others.  That hasn't been the case for me. 

It's no surprise people got covid at the festival though.  It's 4 long days indoors.  It's basically expected to happen.  I was never too worried, vax, boosted, and covid recovered from omni.  It's possible I could get it again, just not very likely at this time.  It seems I made it out fine as we are 4 days past the ending of the festival. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4115 on: June 08, 2022, 09:10:04 AM »
Cool.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4116 on: June 08, 2022, 09:11:20 AM »
Kind of confused why you guys went so hard on him for testing after he said his gf (who I didn't even know was at the festival!) was positive.  It should be a no brainer at this point if you have a known close contact positive that you should test yourself to make sure the spread stops there.  I dont think his past of questioning mask use has any correlation to testing after known exposure.  I'm one of those "I'm over covid" types of people at this point, but all that still makes sense to do.

All of this, seriously

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4117 on: June 08, 2022, 11:49:20 AM »
and similarly, Wilderun just had some members get sick with covid and advised anyone who met them at progpower to get tested.  It's just the common practice in these times. (I saw their set, but did not meet them or get close to them)

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4118 on: June 08, 2022, 02:20:56 PM »
I was hanging with them for a while.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4119 on: June 08, 2022, 02:21:33 PM »
Dammit! :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4120 on: June 08, 2022, 07:29:18 PM »

Not to get into it again, I just find it bizarre even with close contacts, if you're not sick, why continually test yourself.  As Tim said, it's gets obsessive. 

Again, over here everything is relaxed as fuck so I'm obviously just seeing it from a different perspective.  Here you can be around close contacts galore and go to work and about your business as per normal, you don't need to worry until you start feeling sick, which is sensible IMO.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4121 on: June 08, 2022, 07:39:07 PM »
I'd say any time you are near someone who gets covid, you mind races. Some, feel ok as long as there are no symptoms.   Others are more cautious because they are worried they were near those who got it.

Individual decision.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4122 on: June 08, 2022, 08:14:30 PM »
Didn't realize testing a few times equaled obsessive but okay.  Jeeze.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4123 on: June 08, 2022, 10:57:43 PM »
Didn't realize testing a few times equaled obsessive but okay.  Jeeze.

I don't know, I don't want to get into it again but I feel sometimes people continually test like they are almost looking for a positive result.  I'm not aiming that at you but some of the workers I have have come across that way where I am.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4124 on: June 09, 2022, 04:54:39 AM »
This isn't directed at anyone specifically, just something that has evolved over the last 2.5 years in society.  What does it matter what other people do when it quite literally has ZERO impact on you (royal)?  That's one of the big things that this fucking pandemic has done to society I believe - so much questioning/challenging other peoples choices, actions, behaviours.  TBH, it's my (and a lot of other people) belief that not worrying until you start to feel sick is very much NOT sensible (generally speaking).  Case in point - my situation.  If I did nothing until I was symptomatic, then I am 100% certain that the jingle.family would have caught it.  And we all know this virus hits everyone differently, from asymptomatic, to sniffles, to a case of a bad flu, to hospitalization, to death.  Jingle.son had asthma as a child, so for me (and many others), it would be far from sensible to just wait to see symptoms before taking action.

But in the end, you do you (I type that with no sarcasm at all).  Genuinely, everyone can do what works for them, and I ain't gonna be bothered if it has no impact on me or my wellbeing in any way.  I did me (for my situation, I didn't see a need to test until I was symptomatic).  Mike can do Mike - if wants to test daily, who fucking cares and it shouldn't it matter or bother or make anyone wonder anything/

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4125 on: June 09, 2022, 05:53:46 AM »
Bingo, Chad.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4126 on: June 09, 2022, 07:01:22 AM »
This isn't directed at anyone specifically, just something that has evolved over the last 2.5 years in society.  What does it matter what other people do when it quite literally has ZERO impact on you (royal)?  That's one of the big things that this fucking pandemic has done to society I believe - so much questioning/challenging other peoples choices, actions, behaviours.  TBH, it's my (and a lot of other people) belief that not worrying until you start to feel sick is very much NOT sensible (generally speaking).  Case in point - my situation.  If I did nothing until I was symptomatic, then I am 100% certain that the jingle.family would have caught it.  And we all know this virus hits everyone differently, from asymptomatic, to sniffles, to a case of a bad flu, to hospitalization, to death.  Jingle.son had asthma as a child, so for me (and many others), it would be far from sensible to just wait to see symptoms before taking action.

But in the end, you do you (I type that with no sarcasm at all).  Genuinely, everyone can do what works for them, and I ain't gonna be bothered if it has no impact on me or my wellbeing in any way.  I did me (for my situation, I didn't see a need to test until I was symptomatic).  Mike can do Mike - if wants to test daily, who fucking cares and it shouldn't it matter or bother or make anyone wonder anything/

It's more than the last 2.5 years.  We're moving toward two decades now of this line of thinking.   This is a key part to most of what I write over in P/R.  Does it REALLY bother you if, say, I THINK life starts at conception or birth?  I'm talking about the concept, the idea.   Does it REALLY bother you if, say, I'm uncomfortable around certain people?  Does it REALLY bother you if, say, I own no guns, one gun, or 50 guns?   Of course not, but we're at the point now where our FEELINGS are all that matter.  If I'm UNCOMFORTABLE - something I control, not you - that is deemed enough now to demand you to act differently. 

We are so insecure as a society that it's not enough to tolerate, to live-and-let-live.   If you don't live your life like me, it's seemingly an affront to me.   It's got to stop at some point; the question is whether we will realize it ourselves or whether it will be foisted on us by someone else.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4127 on: June 09, 2022, 09:00:50 AM »
What does it matter what other people do when it quite literally has ZERO impact on you (royal)? 

Not much.  But I'm not seeing that it "matters" to anyone in this thread.  And not sure why people are reporting posts.  After reading through the whole thing, seems like a big "nothing to see here."  My take from reading the posts:  Melphina posted that he tested 4 times, while being asymptomatic.  TAC, Woflk, and maybe another one or two questioned why someone would test that many times and asked why, since it is a bit odd to test that many times, especially if not having symptoms.  Melphina for some reason took the questioning personally and got defensive, causing TAC and Wolfk to feel they had to explain themselves and re-post the same thing, of basically "I just find it strange that someone would test that many times for no reason."  And round and round following the same pattern.  Am I missing something?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4128 on: June 09, 2022, 09:22:38 AM »
I bowed out yesterday.

And I love Mike!

Offline Melphina

« Reply #4129 on: June 09, 2022, 09:45:56 AM »
What does it matter what other people do when it quite literally has ZERO impact on you (royal)? 

Not much.  But I'm not seeing that it "matters" to anyone in this thread.  And not sure why people are reporting posts.  After reading through the whole thing, seems like a big "nothing to see here."  My take from reading the posts:  Melphina posted that he tested 4 times, while being asymptomatic.  TAC, Woflk, and maybe another one or two questioned why someone would test that many times and asked why, since it is a bit odd to test that many times, especially if not having symptoms.  Melphina for some reason took the questioning personally and got defensive, causing TAC and Wolfk to feel they had to explain themselves and re-post the same thing, of basically "I just find it strange that someone would test that many times for no reason."  And round and round following the same pattern.  Am I missing something?

Uh.. well, I got defensive when people told me to "stop worrying" and I kept listing a plethora of valid reasons why I was testing and Kade continued to grill me about it and was told that it was obsessive to take less than a handful of tests. But yes, "for some reason" I got defensive. I do not understand why on earth someone would find it strange that I test once a day after a crowded festival in a big city. Come on. Don't gaslight me please, that's really what this feels like when I explain myself to exasperation and I'm still met with people who are confused by my reasoning. I think I've been completely normal and fair and reasonable. Sorry for the trouble. I'll shut up about it now :/