Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195333 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #3955 on: May 03, 2022, 04:06:17 PM »
Hang in there Chad.

I'm hangin, man
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3956 on: May 03, 2022, 05:02:31 PM »
Bottom line... me taking my mask off for about 10 minutes at this event to sip a drink and eat some food has now led to 3 days (and counting) of being sick - this morning I couldn't function whatsoever.  Isolating from my family for 10 days while wearing a mask in my own house.  Kinda doesn't seem worth some nachos, a couple of slices of pizza, and a Jack-and-Ginger.

You most likely would have caught it regardless of that 10 minutes or not. Masks primarily prevent you from spreading, they do a much worse job at protection.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3957 on: May 03, 2022, 05:21:02 PM »
Feel better, dude.

I just had to get a rapid test since my brother (who went to Morsefest with me this weekend and who I went to dinner with last night) tested positive this morning.  It came back negative, but it could be a false negative, so I will be masking the rest of the week to be on the safe side in regards to those around me.  I feel like I have the flu today, so who the hell knows.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3958 on: May 03, 2022, 05:50:30 PM »
Hope you are back to 100% soon Chad!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3959 on: May 03, 2022, 06:00:10 PM »

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3960 on: May 03, 2022, 06:39:11 PM »
Just to throw my own experience in here, I tested positive for covid last Friday. Wasn't too surprised about it considering I attended three concerts and one PAX East-adjacent party within the span of a single week.

I'm vaccinated with J&J and have a single Moderna booster. I would say my immune system is well above average; the only time other than this I remember being substantially sick within the past decade was my senior year of college after I went without sleep for at least 40 hours.

I started with a scratchy throat on Wednesday, which developed into a sore throat and a mild fever the next day. On Friday morning my throat and fever felt even worse so I took a test and it was positive. That day was definitely the worst, though my fever was only 99.8 degrees. Saturday started off about the same but my fever started to improve towards the end of the day. By Sunday my fever was pretty much gone and my throat, while still sore, was better as well. All and all I was only really sick for a couple days. I felt much more sick the night after my first vaccine, though that was limited to a single night.

The most concerning thing for me is that my sense of smell is pretty much gone now. Not completely, but enough to the point where I can barely get a whiff of my deoderant when putting my nose right up against the stick. Most people apparently get it back within a couple weeks, but with how lucky I've been with the rest of my recovery, I hope I don't end up one of those people who lose it for a year or even more.

Assuming I get my sense of smell back before long, I don't regret my actions. I'm not the kind of person who'd avoid doing activities I enjoy to avoid the possibility of getting sick. But I also recognize I'm in a position where I can afford to get sick (I'm young, pretty healthy, and live alone) and not everyone is fortunate enough to be in that situation.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3961 on: May 03, 2022, 06:41:23 PM »
That stinks Buddy.

(You'll have to take my word for it.)

Sorry.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3962 on: May 03, 2022, 06:44:58 PM »
:neverusethis:

If I were a plumber or a mortician I'd probably be happy about it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3963 on: May 03, 2022, 07:38:25 PM »
Edit .... 6 out of 30 now.  20% of people at this event caught COVID.  So yeah, it ain't slowing down, but when only 1 out of 30 was wearing a mask (me), people are most certainly acting like there's nothing to worry about.

Bottom line... me taking my mask off for about 10 minutes at this event to sip a drink and eat some food has now led to 3 days (and counting) of being sick - this morning I couldn't function whatsoever.  Isolating from my family for 10 days while wearing a mask in my own house.  Kinda doesn't seem worth some nachos, a couple of slices of pizza, and a Jack-and-Ginger.

But, now I've gotten it, so there won't be a cloud hanging over me for sometime about whether I can / will catch it - even though Omicron has the capability of double-infecting people.

@ Dubleagent.... my experience - the brief "sickness" from the vacc absolutely pales in comparison to the sickness from the virus.  And this is "supposedly" a mild case given that I'm an otherwise healthy 50-year old, triple-vacc'd individual.

Jesus, that's shit man.  Hope you get through it quick. 

Funny how it affects people differently as I mentioned I was a bit crook but didn't spend any additional time and still went about my business, albeit working from home for 2 days.

To the last point, does anyone have any idea why someone not vaxxed like myself can get COVID and be sick but still fully function like normal yet a majority of the vaxxed people I know at work had it worse?  I'm not trying to stir shit, just generally intrigued. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3964 on: May 03, 2022, 07:43:41 PM »
Kade, I think that speaks to the unpredictability and unknown-ness of the virus. I mean, people are right to be weary of it, but it just seems so random. My wife and I have basically worked 5-6 days a week through the whole thing..me at a fucking grocery store, and my wife at an assisted living facility, and we've both been clean.
Bubble Chad has some pizza with guys on his brand new job, and BAM, he gets it. I mean, it's fucked.

People range from asymptomatic to being the "sickest I've ever been in my life".

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Harmony

« Reply #3965 on: May 03, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
To the last point, does anyone have any idea why someone not vaxxed like myself can get COVID and be sick but still fully function like normal yet a majority of the vaxxed people I know at work had it worse?  I'm not trying to stir shit, just generally intrigued.

We don't know why (yet).  If I were a betting man, I'd wager it has to do with genetics.

Many people get Covid and are completely asymptomatic.  IIRC around 40%.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3966 on: May 03, 2022, 07:49:42 PM »

We don't know why (yet).  If I were a betting man, I'd wager it has to do with genetics.

Many people get Covid and are completely asymptomatic.  IIRC around 40%.

Genetics was my simple guess also.  I've never really been the sick kind and have had no vaccinations for anything for years.  I think some are just lucky.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3967 on: May 03, 2022, 07:50:23 PM »
Dude, life is all about luck.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3968 on: May 03, 2022, 07:54:26 PM »

Fuck, I should know that more than anyone!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3969 on: May 03, 2022, 07:57:25 PM »

Fuck, I should know that more than anyone!  :lol

I didn't want to say it..but yes. We all should know it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3970 on: May 03, 2022, 08:49:40 PM »
Completely random is what it is. When millions die, thousands have long COVID, and all the other points made - there’s no rhyme or reason to it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3971 on: May 03, 2022, 08:53:44 PM »
Completely random is what it is. When millions die, thousands have long COVID, and all the other points made - there’s no rhyme or reason to it.

True mate.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3972 on: May 03, 2022, 08:55:56 PM »

True mate.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3973 on: May 03, 2022, 10:33:36 PM »
Edit .... 6 out of 30 now.  20% of people at this event caught COVID.  So yeah, it ain't slowing down, but when only 1 out of 30 was wearing a mask (me), people are most certainly acting like there's nothing to worry about.

But, now I've gotten it, so there won't be a cloud hanging over me for sometime about whether I can / will catch it - even though Omicron has the capability of double-infecting people.

@ Dubleagent.... my experience - the brief "sickness" from the vacc absolutely pales in comparison to the sickness from the virus.  And this is "supposedly" a mild case given that I'm an otherwise healthy 50-year old, triple-vacc'd individual.

Funny how it affects people differently as I mentioned I was a bit crook but didn't spend any additional time and still went about my business, albeit working from home for 2 days.

My guess is because people are just that unique and everyone's health is vastly different from one another. A persons health is based on whatever they decide to do to their own body, and some people have chosen to do detrimental damage to their own bodies. Genes also play a role on a persons development of health issues as well.

Many doctors have said, if one is concerned about where their health truly lies and what issues they may have with their body, to go see them. When people go to the doctors, they fear what they might be told is wrong with them. I would hope that a person doesn't lie to them and tells them everything about their body, as a wrong diagnosis can also have a detrimental effect to a persons health.

I do wonder if people didn't even know their health was that bad until they ended up getting severe symptoms of covid.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3974 on: May 04, 2022, 12:00:34 AM »

I hope you turn the corner real soon and start feeling better.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3975 on: May 04, 2022, 12:17:31 AM »

My guess is because people are just that unique and everyone's health is vastly different from one another. A persons health is based on whatever they decide to do to their own body, and some people have chosen to do detrimental damage to their own bodies. Genes also play a role on a persons development of health issues as well.

Many doctors have said, if one is concerned about where their health truly lies and what issues they may have with their body, to go see them. When people go to the doctors, they fear what they might be told is wrong with them. I would hope that a person doesn't lie to them and tells them everything about their body, as a wrong diagnosis can also have a detrimental effect to a persons health.

I do wonder if people didn't even know their health was that bad until they ended up getting severe symptoms of covid.

While I get all that, I think genetics is probably more the play.  Of course what people do to their bodies may have an effect but I've seen fit younger people get it worse than middle aged females who are overweight.

Plus, what I know of Chad, he's a fit dude who looks after himself well, so cases like that make me think it's just pure luck and genetics.  I just wasn't sure if there was any actual research behind it all as I don't really follow COVID news and findings.

And what do you mean, are you saying a doctor would lie and give a wrong diagnosis?  I don't understand.  Speaking of general practitioners, I haven't been to one in over 10 years........probably should do something about that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3976 on: May 04, 2022, 05:33:44 AM »
Obviously, underlying health issues often have a big impact on the severity of infection wrt COVID, but as Kade said, my general / overall health is about as ideal as it can be for a 50 year old male.

Starting Day 4, and I'm no worse than I was when I went to bed last night - which is a helluva lot more than I can say about yesterday morning.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3977 on: May 04, 2022, 05:53:31 AM »
Obviously, underlying health issues often have a big impact on the severity of infection wrt COVID, but as Kade said, my general / overall health is about as ideal as it can be for a 50 year old male.

Starting Day 4, and I'm no worse than I was when I went to bed last night - which is a helluva lot more than I can say about yesterday morning.

Day 4, surely you're coming around the final couple of bends mate.  Hang in there!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3978 on: May 04, 2022, 06:31:37 AM »

Day 4, surely you're coming around the final couple of bends mate.  Hang in there!

I had a work colleague that was hit hard for 10 days, and another who said he was suffering with some minor lingering symptoms for a month.  I'm just taking this one day at a time, and glad this morning is better than yesterdays.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3979 on: May 04, 2022, 06:44:32 AM »

I had a work colleague that was hit hard for 10 days, and another who said he was suffering with some minor lingering symptoms for a month.  I'm just taking this one day at a time, and glad this morning is better than yesterdays.

Even though mine was super mild, I had lingering fatigue for over a week.  Wasn't anything that affected daily routine though.  I went back to weight training 6 days after getting it (yes, idiot I know) and got gassed super easy.  Just knocked up really quick. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3980 on: May 04, 2022, 08:58:09 AM »
I wouldn't say one's covid's symptoms are exactly random, although it certainly seems like that.  I'd probably say genetics, current health/age, and viral load all play a role. 

Damn, you got it pretty bad it seems, but hang in there and you'll recover soon.  I had about 7 days of symptoms but after the first 2 days (when the fever broke) I probably would have returned to work if it weren't for covid protocols because it just felt like a really bad cold. A lot of us had the lingering exhaustion so you may expect that once all the initial symptoms disappear.  I'm sure the isolation in your home away from your family is tough too, I know a few of my friends struggled with that part of their illness. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3981 on: May 04, 2022, 09:04:14 AM »
I worked with a woman who's husband caught Covid. She still slept with him at night, and she never caught it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3982 on: May 04, 2022, 09:09:01 AM »
I worked with a woman who's husband caught Covid. She still slept with him at night, and she never caught it.

Yeah, my parents didn't separate when my mom got it a couple months ago but my dad never got it. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3983 on: May 04, 2022, 09:15:14 AM »
I still feel awful - fever, chills, minor cough, etc. - so I will get another rapid test tomorrow. Probably can't go back to the office until a second test comes back negative as well.  Working from home again today. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3984 on: May 04, 2022, 09:18:04 AM »
I still feel awful - fever, chills, minor cough, etc. - so I will get another rapid test tomorrow. Probably can't go back to the office until a second test comes back negative as well.  Working from home again today.

Sounds like you got it, maybe get a PCR test since the rapids aren't too accurate for?  Either way, rest up and feel better.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3985 on: May 04, 2022, 09:41:25 AM »
Still can't believe I didn't get the cough, especially considering I smoked for 25 years

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3986 on: May 05, 2022, 10:39:12 AM »
Well, I avoided it for 25 months (plus whenever it really was here), but I officially tested positive for COVID this morning.  :( :(

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3987 on: May 05, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »
Well, I avoided it for 25 months (plus whenever it really was here), but I officially tested positive for COVID this morning.  :( :(

Sorry to hear that Kev.  We popped our cherry the same week.

Most of my symptoms seem to be fading... just very light headed today (which could have something to do with only getting about 3-4 hours sleep).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3988 on: May 05, 2022, 10:48:01 AM »
I managed to sleep from about 9:30pm to 6 am, which is pretty darn good for me, so I think all of that sleep helped.  I felt awful when I woke up, but do not feel quite as awful now. Still not good, just not as awful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3989 on: May 05, 2022, 11:09:57 AM »
Dammit.  I feel bad for both of you.  I hope you both mend soon.

Just trying to be helpful here, but I read an article by the CDC that running song polls does wonders for one's COVID symptoms.   Iron Maiden! Top 100!   :)  :) :) :)