Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195428 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #3920 on: May 02, 2022, 11:01:00 AM »
Come on guys.  There's no need to even suggest that there might be an argument... And is it really, after everything that's happened over the last few years and the things we've read from others in this very thread, hard to imagine why someone would be concerned?  If someone got it and it was mild and no big deal, that's great.  We can only hope it's like that for everyone.  But it's not a head scratcher why someone would be concerned.

As someone who's read these two's arguments about covid for 2 years now... one thing I noticed is this:

I guess my earlier point was that if I - as a very risk averse person taking many precautions most other people don't - can get this, it just goes to show how easily it spreads.

Kind of falls into exactly what Stads has been saying for awhile:

Man plans and God laughs.

Unless you plan on isolating the rest of your life, you kind of just have to accept the risk of getting sick from covid or really, any other disease at this point.  It's not going to disappear and self isolating isn't really a good solution either when you consider that vaccines still do a great job at preventing serious illness.  I still am of the belief that everyone is going to catch covid at some point.  All of the people I know of locally (only a couple who I know about) who have recently got it are people who never yet had an infection.  Having said that, hope you are feeling better and the family is all good, Chad.

In other news, Ozzy's covid infection is on the mend.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3921 on: May 02, 2022, 11:19:43 AM »
That's about where I'm at.  My daughter and I are battling bad chest colds right now.  I haven't felt this sick for years, specifically the last two - having social distanced as much as we can and wearing masks when needed.  She tested negative for covid, so there was no reason for me to test.  Neither of us have had fevers at all, just bad congestion, coughs, etc. 

I'm sure I'll catch covid someday and at least we're at a point now where vaccines are available and the virus has mutated enough to be less severe.  A few months ago, i was really angry that the masks came off and all of a sudden we were batting colds and the stomach flu again, but that's the reality of the situation - being back to normal with a lot of illnesses spreading to make up for two years of families generally staying healthier. 

It's aggravating to be sick a lot, but after a little while, I got over that mindset that EVERYONE needs to avoid ALL illnesses for my benefit.  It was nice while it lasted, but it's also nice to not have to deal with covid mitigations.  Being exposed to covid at times will be part of our lives going forward.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3922 on: May 02, 2022, 11:43:09 AM »
Come on guys.  There's no need to even suggest that there might be an argument... And is it really, after everything that's happened over the last few years and the things we've read from others in this very thread, hard to imagine why someone would be concerned?  If someone got it and it was mild and no big deal, that's great.  We can only hope it's like that for everyone.  But it's not a head scratcher why someone would be concerned.

As someone who's read these two's arguments about covid for 2 years now... one thing I noticed is this:

I guess my earlier point was that if I - as a very risk averse person taking many precautions most other people don't - can get this, it just goes to show how easily it spreads.

Kind of falls into exactly what Stads has been saying for awhile:

Man plans and God laughs.

Unless you plan on isolating the rest of your life, you kind of just have to accept the risk of getting sick from covid or really, any other disease at this point.  It's not going to disappear and self isolating isn't really a good solution either when you consider that vaccines still do a great job at preventing serious illness.  I still am of the belief that everyone is going to catch covid at some point.  All of the people I know of locally (only a couple who I know about) who have recently got it are people who never yet had an infection.  Having said that, hope you are feeling better and the family is all good, Chad.

In other news, Ozzy's covid infection is on the mend.

Yeah but there's a time and place for everything.  And there's responding to what was actually posted.  If I come here posting an argument about how people other than myself should be handling the possibility of getting covid, masking or not, going here but not there, etc, then ok, maybe I'm asking for an argument/debate/what have you.  If come here posting that I've been exposed and am concerned for myself or my family (which I suppose I've just learned not to do), then make me a cup of online tea, play me some Katatonia, wish me the best, and pull up a chair in case I want to continue talking about it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3923 on: May 02, 2022, 12:15:02 PM »
Yeah but there's a time and place for everything.  And there's responding to what was actually posted.
This. I typed in a long post about how, in my experience as a person working with unmasked kids and unmasked myself throughout the pandemic who only started getting sick as people en masse started getting vaccinated and started seeing other people, what killed a lot of virus transmission before was a bit masks (and it sure is nice to hide my red nose and reduce the chance I'm giving someone something on public transport and in the grocery store) and a lot of social distancing. Just not being around people as much as pre-pandemic will make you a lot less sick. Those levels of social isolation aren't likely to be maintained over long periods of time.

But I deleted the post. What's the point? It's only my perspective, not a lot of people have had the same desensitizing experience of working an essential job unmasked, not a lot of people who did take care and killed their social lives up to omicron takeover have gotten so close and comfortable with the idea of eventually getting COVID as early as I have, and more importantly, I know how much it meant to Chad to not catch it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 12:22:11 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3924 on: May 02, 2022, 12:33:45 PM »
Yeah but there's a time and place for everything.  And there's responding to what was actually posted.  If I come here posting an argument about how people other than myself should be handling the possibility of getting covid, masking or not, going here but not there, etc, then ok, maybe I'm asking for an argument/debate/what have you.  If come here posting that I've been exposed and am concerned for myself or my family (which I suppose I've just learned not to do), then make me a cup of online tea, play me some Katatonia, wish me the best, and pull up a chair in case I want to continue talking about it.

I'd generally agree with you if it werent for the years of these two often debating about covid.  I also didnt, and mostly havent (although there have been times...), read their arguments as aggressive or harsh on each other so I didn't really take it the way you seem to have.  I think it's safe to say we all want to see Chad recover and everyone wishes him and his family the best. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3925 on: May 02, 2022, 12:40:44 PM »
Did you test positive (I hope not)?
not yet.  0-for2 so far.  Given all the symptoms I've had in a 36 hour period, I'm fully convinced I'm positive though - time and testing will tell.

Look, I'm not interested in arguing with you when your health is at stake, and the ONLY think I want you to take from my posts here is that when it comes to your health, I hope you and your family get through this relatively scott-free.  But there ARE flaws in your logical conclusion based on one data point.

As you've said many times over the years, everyone has their own calculus of risk.  You've got yours; I've got mine; mrs.jingle has hers, and so on and so on.  I don't fault you for yours; I didn't fault anyone for theirs on Thursday at this event.  I'm really not sure what conclusion I'm making that is flawed?

As it turns out, 4 more from our group have now tested positive - all of whom were sitting around the person that notified the group Friday morning he tested positive.  Seems fairly logical to conclude he was the 'spreader' within our group.  And I don't fault him at all... it is what it is, and I never expected I'd go my whole life without catching COVID.    I was merely lamenting about how easy this is to spread, and hence why I take the precautions I do, as I have 3 other people to consider at home that don't even have the risk threshold that *I* do.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 12:59:38 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3926 on: May 02, 2022, 12:54:48 PM »
not yet.  0-for2 so far.  Given all the symptoms I've had in a 36 hour period, I'm fully convinced I'm positive though - time and testing will tell.

This was me a few days after Easter.  2 people at our dinner gathering turned up positive and I started to feel crappy.  I tested every day for 5 days - all negative.  One of the women's own daughter felt crappy and did a pcr test (negative).  In retrospect, I think the feeling crappy part was my body doing its job to fight off the virus.  Like when we get a booster.

But yes, time will tell.  Hope you feel better soon.  My ass was DRAGGING hard and all I wanted to do was sleep.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3927 on: May 02, 2022, 01:11:14 PM »

This was me a few days after Easter.  2 people at our dinner gathering turned up positive and I started to feel crappy.  I tested every day for 5 days - all negative.  One of the women's own daughter felt crappy and did a pcr test (negative).  In retrospect, I think the feeling crappy part was my body doing its job to fight off the virus.  Like when we get a booster.

But yes, time will tell.  Hope you feel better soon.  My ass was DRAGGING hard and all I wanted to do was sleep.

This happened with my gf and her mother.  I woke up sick with covid on New Years day.... in my gf's bed at her parents house where we spent the entire night before.  My gf and her mother after I told them I was sick, they said they felt sick.  Their PCR tests negative and mine was positive.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3928 on: May 02, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your situation, Chad.  The fact that you and I differ on our individual risk assessment aside, I understand and respect that your level of concern is very high, and I sincerely hope that if you end up having been infected, that you and yours are in the majority that passes through this with little to no adverse impact.  Hang in there, buddy. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3929 on: May 02, 2022, 03:03:11 PM »
Sucks to hear you have symptoms Chad.  Hope it's not too bad for you.  I guess all you can do know is wait it out and then get back to it.  A couple of days and you'll be fine again.

It's great to take your precautions so serious but I learned, if you're gonna get you're gonna get it.  You just work through it and treat it like any other sickness.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3930 on: May 02, 2022, 03:20:54 PM »
And to answer your question Tim... yes, both jingle.kids suffered from asthmas as children.  It's largely a non-issue, but who knows how they'd handle a respiratory virus.

Gotcha.
My youngest also has asthma. After he got his booster, his asthma really kicked up. His pediatrician sent him to an asthma doctor that blamed the booster, and has advised him and my wife to not get the second booster.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. My wife is comfortable with him not getting it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3931 on: May 02, 2022, 03:45:12 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your situation, Chad.  The fact that you and I differ on our individual risk assessment aside, I understand and respect that your level of concern is very high, and I sincerely hope that if you end up having been infected, that you and yours are in the majority that passes through this with little to no adverse impact.  Hang in there, buddy.

Thanks Bosk.  I really appreciate those words.

Perhaps mischaracterizing what my level of concern is.  It really isn't something I'm overly concerned about for my own wellbeing - it's the impact to the rest of the jingle.family who potentially are impacted by my actions.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3932 on: May 02, 2022, 04:19:31 PM »

I'd generally agree with you if it werent for the years of these two often debating about covid.  I also didnt, and mostly havent (although there have been times...), read their arguments as aggressive or harsh on each other so I didn't really take it the way you seem to have.  I think it's safe to say we all want to see Chad recover and everyone wishes him and his family the best.

I'm not at all trying to imply that your last sentence isn't true - I'm sure it is.  But for the rest I guess we'll agree to disagree.  My comments weren't only directed towards Stadler's.  I just think there's a time for everything and the appropriate response to something like this is support.  Similar to what Bosk posted below.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3933 on: May 02, 2022, 04:32:33 PM »
Winner winner, chicken dinner.  Positive COVID test.  Not sure if the first two tests came back negative because I did the full back-of-the-pallette swab.  This time, I did just the nasal passage, and it came up double-bar.

As for the rest.  We all good.  Stads and I are keyboard sparring partners the way 9 and 11 year old brothers rough-house with one another.  It's all good with me, and I'm 100% certain he'd say the same.

Some of the above comments were a bit of a poke-in-the-eye with their (unintended I'm certain) dismissiveness, but again... we all good.

6 more days of masking and isolating.  Yay me!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3934 on: May 02, 2022, 04:36:46 PM »
Hope its a mild one. Get well soon.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3935 on: May 02, 2022, 04:40:23 PM »
Winner winner, chicken dinner.  Positive COVID test.  Not sure if the first two tests came back negative because I did the full back-of-the-pallette swab.  This time, I did just the nasal passage, and it came up double-bar.

Not happy to hear you got it, but hopefully it will give you more confidence going forward about the whole thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3936 on: May 02, 2022, 04:43:36 PM »
Feel better Chad, I apologize if my comments were poorly timed and received. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3937 on: May 02, 2022, 05:40:51 PM »

Not happy to hear you got it, but hopefully it will give you more confidence going forward about the whole thing.

I agree, Chad, sounds awful but getting it might actually be a helpful thing for you long term. Hopefully, it will make things easier and make you more confident to live with it being out there going forward.  You'll come out the other side and it might calm your nerves.  Accept it and get better and you'll be back at 100% before you know it.  It's easy for me to say because mine was mild but I didn't think much of it and was back in a couple of days.  I was never scared of it though and as I've said before, an unpopular opinion but I'm not vaxxed and was fine so you'll be fine mate.  Hope the family can avoid it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3938 on: May 02, 2022, 05:44:01 PM »
Damn, sorry to hear that.  Hope you feel better soon.

Also, FWIW, I've been told that it is a good idea to let your doctor know you tested positive even with an at-home test.  Both because there are antivirals available now and you have to start them early on and also because it will be in your record in case there is any reason you need it for insurance purposes, employment purposes, or disability purposes (on the statistically remote chance you have a longer than average bout of symptoms).
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3939 on: May 02, 2022, 05:46:08 PM »
Yes, you definitely have to let your doctor know.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3940 on: May 03, 2022, 07:21:37 AM »

As for the rest.  We all good.  Stads and I are keyboard sparring partners the way 9 and 11 year old brothers rough-house with one another.  It's all good with me, and I'm 100% certain he'd say the same.

Some of the above comments were a bit of a poke-in-the-eye with their (unintended I'm certain) dismissiveness, but again... we all good.

6 more days of masking and isolating.  Yay me!

1000% I'd say the same.  And I'll repeat what I said before (that some people missed): Look, I'm not interested in arguing with you when your health is at stake, and the ONLY think I want you to take from my posts here is that when it comes to your health, I hope you and your family get through this relatively scott-free. 

I really hope you get through this quickly and unscathed.   I've got my fingers crossed for you and your family. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #3941 on: May 03, 2022, 08:51:16 AM »
Get well soon, Bro! You did everything you could to avoid it. Funny now that things have slowed, I think I know more people in my circle who have caught it than during the various peaks. That seems counterintuitive to me but it's true.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3942 on: May 03, 2022, 10:09:20 AM »
Get well soon, Bro! You did everything you could to avoid it. Funny now that things have slowed, I think I know more people in my circle who have caught it than during the various peaks. That seems counterintuitive to me but it's true.

That's my experience as well.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3943 on: May 03, 2022, 10:48:31 AM »

That's because it hasn't really "slowed", but people are acting like it has.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3944 on: May 03, 2022, 11:03:45 AM »

QFT.  Hospitalizations are down but the pandemic isn't over.  I still don't know if I've ever had it.  Never felt sick enough to get tested. :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3945 on: May 03, 2022, 11:21:26 AM »

QFT.  Hospitalizations are down but the pandemic isn't over.  I still don't know if I've ever had it.  Never felt sick enough to get tested. :dunno:

I REALLY want to take the antibody test. I read somewhere that something like 60% of Americans have the antibodies; I don't know if that includes the vaccine or if it's just a result of having been sick, but if the latter that means a LOT of people had it and didn't know about it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3946 on: May 03, 2022, 11:31:13 AM »
My understanding is both cause the antibody test to be positive. Not sure about the duration though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3947 on: May 03, 2022, 11:35:53 AM »

The virus itself hasn't slowed, but a significant amount of the deaths/severe illness has slowed down (7 day death average in the US is at its lowest since last May).  When even Fauci says the pandemic is over, I'm not sure there's much else to say here.  We will be dealing with covid infections for the foreseeable future, maybe the rest of our lives and onward.   The way people act is seemingly to the way covid is less impacting our daily lives.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3948 on: May 03, 2022, 11:53:14 AM »

Spot on.  I'm sick as shit, but not sick enough to go to the hospital.  And since (at least here in NA), there are no longer accurate case counts because most are testing at home with no way to officially report it, there's literally no idea of what the spread is.  This 30-person event I was at ... 5 people have come down with it.  16% infection rate is pretty significant - and I'm not sure I'd say that COVID hasn't affected my daily life atm (along that of the rest of the jingle.family)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3949 on: May 03, 2022, 02:52:44 PM »
Dammit Chad.  Get better, pal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3950 on: May 03, 2022, 03:24:00 PM »

I REALLY want to take the antibody test. I read somewhere that something like 60% of Americans have the antibodies; I don't know if that includes the vaccine or if it's just a result of having been sick, but if the latter that means a LOT of people had it and didn't know about it.

My brother and his wife had it, but made it through ok.  So many different variables.  He thinks it's all in the DNA, but it could vary among family members too.  I've heard of people getting pretty sick just from the vaccine.  Aches, pains, diarrhea, vomiting, practically the whole 9 yards.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3951 on: May 03, 2022, 03:27:45 PM »
Never heard of throwing up and diarrhea but all the other stuff. It last only 1 day plus. 2 days the most. To me, I'd rather go though that so is lessens the damage the virus would do if I didn't have it. I'll assume at some point I'll get it as 60% have all ready.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3952 on: May 03, 2022, 03:29:00 PM »
Edit .... 6 out of 30 now.  20% of people at this event caught COVID.  So yeah, it ain't slowing down, but when only 1 out of 30 was wearing a mask (me), people are most certainly acting like there's nothing to worry about.

Bottom line... me taking my mask off for about 10 minutes at this event to sip a drink and eat some food has now led to 3 days (and counting) of being sick - this morning I couldn't function whatsoever.  Isolating from my family for 10 days while wearing a mask in my own house.  Kinda doesn't seem worth some nachos, a couple of slices of pizza, and a Jack-and-Ginger.

But, now I've gotten it, so there won't be a cloud hanging over me for sometime about whether I can / will catch it - even though Omicron has the capability of double-infecting people.

@ Dubleagent.... my experience - the brief "sickness" from the vacc absolutely pales in comparison to the sickness from the virus.  And this is "supposedly" a mild case given that I'm an otherwise healthy 50-year old, triple-vacc'd individual.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3953 on: May 03, 2022, 03:33:48 PM »
Hang in there Chad.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3954 on: May 03, 2022, 03:56:20 PM »
I haven't been going out hardly at all.  Masks are one thing, but distancing is the key.  I was never too crazy about breathing the same air as others even before the pandemic.  So, there it is...