Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195534 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #3885 on: March 27, 2022, 05:48:29 PM »
Spiritus,

I'm truly sorry for your loss. Virtual hugs.  :heart

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3886 on: March 27, 2022, 06:11:28 PM »
Thank you for feeling comfortable posting the update, Spiritus. We are all here for you with our sympathies.

I guess I could say I have been lucky for I have only lost my grand parents (my dads, my mom lost her parents as a child) from natural causes and while we obviously grieved it is part of life.

This is me. I remember all four of my grandparents dying, and while each passing was sad it their own right, because they all lived rich, full lives, it seemed ok. I've never lost anyone where I felt they died "before their time" or in a way outside of "natural causes/old age."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3887 on: March 27, 2022, 06:13:19 PM »
That's awful Spiritus. Sorry to hear.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3888 on: March 28, 2022, 06:00:23 AM »
Goddamn.  So sorry to hear this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3889 on: March 28, 2022, 08:42:57 AM »
Sorry for your loss Spiritus  :sad:

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3890 on: March 28, 2022, 08:43:32 AM »
My condolences for the loss of your mentor, Spiritus.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3891 on: April 08, 2022, 10:17:25 PM »
The rest of the world in 2020-2021: "Well, we implemented all the Covid restrictions we could think of."
China in 2022: "Amateurs."

https://www.yahoo.com/video/control-soul-desire-freedom-shocking-191048377.html

Footage circulated on Chinese social-media app Weibo purported to show a drone flying over apartment buildings where residents stepped out onto their balconies. It was not clear when the footage was filmed.

“Please comply with Covid restrictions,” a voice says over the drone’s loudspeaker, according to the Economist senior China correspondent Alice Su. “Control your soul’s desire for freedom. Do not open the window or sing.”

All residents who test positive for Covid are required to go to a hospital or other quarantine facility. Video allegedly from one makeshift hospital in Shanghai, shared by CNN, appeared to show patients fighting over basic necessities including food:

Unverified photos and videos of children who tested positive for Covid being separated from their parents have circulated widely on Chinese social media, sparking an outcry from residents.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3892 on: April 09, 2022, 10:17:43 AM »
The rest of the world in 2020-2021: "Well, we implemented all the Covid restrictions we could think of."
China in 2022: "Amateurs."

https://www.yahoo.com/video/control-soul-desire-freedom-shocking-191048377.html

Footage circulated on Chinese social-media app Weibo purported to show a drone flying over apartment buildings where residents stepped out onto their balconies. It was not clear when the footage was filmed.

“Please comply with Covid restrictions,” a voice says over the drone’s loudspeaker, according to the Economist senior China correspondent Alice Su. “Control your soul’s desire for freedom. Do not open the window or sing.”

All residents who test positive for Covid are required to go to a hospital or other quarantine facility. Video allegedly from one makeshift hospital in Shanghai, shared by CNN, appeared to show patients fighting over basic necessities including food:

Unverified photos and videos of children who tested positive for Covid being separated from their parents have circulated widely on Chinese social media, sparking an outcry from residents.

China is going insanely overboard with quarantining. 23,000 cases in a city of 29 million, and only 1,100 of those cases are symptomatic.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3893 on: April 11, 2022, 03:22:15 PM »
I already had a bad feeling about this. It's coming around again. I can only imagine Illinois won't be far behind as some southern counties are already over CDC thresholds.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/philadelphia-to-reinstate-indoor-mask-mandate-amid-surge-in-new-covid-cases-01649708225?siteid=yhoof2
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3894 on: April 11, 2022, 04:16:58 PM »
I already had a bad feeling about this. It's coming around again. I can only imagine Illinois won't be far behind as some southern counties are already over CDC thresholds.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/philadelphia-to-reinstate-indoor-mask-mandate-amid-surge-in-new-covid-cases-01649708225?siteid=yhoof2

Yeah - I struggled whether to get my second booster shot and was considering whether I should wait for fall but my wife has severe asthma, so I didn't think it's worth the risk. I got the shot on Friday at 10:30 but I dind't start feeling the effects until 3:00pm Saturday - right smack dab in the middle of a production upgrade. Ugh.. was all better by noon on Sunday.

I am not surprised by the uptick. It's inevitable, exspecially for those who refuse to get vaccinated.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3895 on: April 11, 2022, 04:32:41 PM »
My 1st booster (3rd shot) is coming up in the 3rd week of May.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3896 on: April 12, 2022, 04:55:17 AM »
The thing is, these newer strains of Omicron (and we probably don't have to wait much longer for Pi to come along) are jumping the vax's.  It's inevitable really, the vax's were developed to combat Alpha, and we're now a dozen+ iterations down the line.  I know a few people that have caught COVID it twice, and read a headline recently that there are cases of people catching a second case within months of their first.  Yay antibodies!.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3897 on: April 12, 2022, 06:41:31 AM »

Yeah - I struggled whether to get my second booster shot and was considering whether I should wait for fall but my wife has severe asthma, so I didn't think it's worth the risk. I got the shot on Friday at 10:30 but I dind't start feeling the effects until 3:00pm Saturday - right smack dab in the middle of a production upgrade. Ugh.. was all better by noon on Sunday.

I am not surprised by the uptick. It's inevitable, exspecially for those who refuse to get vaccinated.

Well, if like Chad says, it's jumping the vax, that's not really a major point anymore.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3898 on: April 12, 2022, 06:48:02 AM »

Well, if like Chad says, it's jumping the vax, that's not really a major point anymore.

The evidence from the last surge showed that the vast majority of hospitalizations were to do the unvaxxed.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3899 on: April 12, 2022, 08:32:12 AM »

The evidence from the last surge showed that the vast majority of hospitalizations were to do the unvaxxed.

They're talking about an uptick in cases, not hospitalizations.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3900 on: April 12, 2022, 08:44:13 AM »
There's no doubt there will be another covid wave, and another and so on.  This is life as we know it for the foreseeable future and I'm not concerned much at all at this time. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3901 on: April 12, 2022, 01:33:51 PM »
Reported case increases are essentially meaningless as many (most?) people are testing at home and not reporting positive tests.  Looking at hospitalizations is a metric worth noting but often lags behind what is currently happening in your community.

I recommend monitoring the waste water tracking.  https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#wastewater-surveillance

Found this graph on Twitter which claims to show % covid increased in the last 15 days for some cities based on data from the above link as of yesterday.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3902 on: April 12, 2022, 01:59:55 PM »
Ontario has "officially" declared a 6th wave.  And while it's jumping the vax, the vax still is the best safeguard against hospitalizations and/or severe outcomes.  As Harmony said, case counts are meaningless at this stage of the pandemic.  Hospitalizations (although a lagging indicator of spread) are the metric that needs to be monitored and managed as best as possible - and that happens thru vacc'n, masking, and distancing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3903 on: April 12, 2022, 03:27:05 PM »
Yep, people who've been vaccinated can still get it, and those who've had it can get it again.  It's a virus.  The important thing is that your symptoms will be less severe.  Evidence for that is overwhelming.  A bad cold for a week versus a few months in the hospital on a ventilator and likely permanent damage to multiple systems.  The shot is still worth it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3904 on: April 13, 2022, 09:01:31 AM »
Reported case increases are essentially meaningless as many (most?) people are testing at home and not reporting positive tests.  Looking at hospitalizations is a metric worth noting but often lags behind what is currently happening in your community.

I recommend monitoring the waste water tracking.  https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#wastewater-surveillance

Found this graph on Twitter which claims to show % covid increased in the last 15 days for some cities based on data from the above link as of yesterday.

This was brought up on CNN today https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/12/health/cases-rise-ba-2/index.html

Beyond case counts, which may be a less reliable pandemic metric because testing numbers have dropped, coronavirus levels in wastewater are telling a largely reassuring story.
Wastewater monitoring is considered a reliable warning of what's on the way. US numbers are trending up slightly but are still at one of the lowest levels seen since July, according to Biobot Analytics, a company that analyzes wastewater samples from across the country.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3905 on: April 20, 2022, 02:50:46 PM »
I am co-chair at a HS pantry for an organization called 'Student Support Network'.  During our three hours at the school today, my co-chair got a text from her husband that he tested positive.  They had relatives in from Jersey over the weekend (all vaxxed, all boosted once or twice).

Well, she tested positive upon arriving home.  At least we were both masked 95% of the time during 'work', always masked when within six feet of each other.  I'm negative now, but it suxx that my wife and I have to isolate distance-wise for the next few days.  Yes, we're both vaxxed and one time boosted.  We're definitely getting the second booster much sooner than planned.  We're lucky!

And, darn, we had a rib roast to attend on Friday night.

Had a false positive test, and then two negatives so far 48 hours later.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 09:36:09 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3906 on: April 26, 2022, 09:32:31 AM »
Strange thing I noticed.  Before the pandemic, I never realized how much of a pain in the ass it is going into the office.  Even 3 days a week is a fucking pain.  Everyone is now working for Thursday afternoons as we head home and don't have to go back in until the following Tuesday.  It's almost like a 4 day weekend.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3907 on: April 27, 2022, 07:56:56 PM »
Strange thing I noticed.  Before the pandemic, I never realized how much of a pain in the ass it is going into the office.  Even 3 days a week is a fucking pain.  Everyone is now working for Thursday afternoons as we head home and don't have to go back in until the following Tuesday.  It's almost like a 4 day weekend.

I’ve only had to go into the office about once a month during the pandemic, and even that seems like way too much effort.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3908 on: April 27, 2022, 08:11:17 PM »
Puleeze.

You guys are wussies. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3909 on: April 29, 2022, 04:10:44 PM »
Puleeze.

You guys are wussies. ;D

Actually, it's not as bad as listening to Power Windows.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3910 on: April 29, 2022, 04:55:24 PM »
Yesterday ....

1st day of new job.  All day in-person strategy session, followed by social drinks food.  At the strategy session in the office, I'm the only one of about 30 people that came with a mask.  It was a large space, we're all spread out, so I ditched it after breakfast/coffee.  It felt pretty safe and secure.

Went to the bar/pub, wearing a mask inside - again, I'm the only of our group wearing a mask, and hardly anyone in the whole place has one other than the staff.  The one guy I'm sitting next to for about 5-10 minutes while I had my mask off for ONE drink, and stuffed some nachos and pizza in my mouth to quell my hunger, sends a note to the group this morning that he tested positive.

JFC.  My first time out in a public setting like this, or any kind of large social gathering (other than movie theaters), since March of '20, and despite all the precautions I take, I'm directly exposed to COVID sans masks.  So, I (and the rest of the jingle.family will be somewhat be on pins and needles until probably Tuesday or Wednesday before I'll feel "clear".

FFS.

This ... THIS ... is the kind of shit that makes me take the precautions I do (I got no ill-will towards the other guy, it's just a random fucking thing - this was his first crowded gathering in 2022 - though, if he tested positive just 16 hours after the gathering, it's unlikely he caught it yesterday).  All the power to you guys that have avoided it so far, and are comfortable being out in public maskless in crowded spaces.  It's still a fucking crapshoot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3911 on: April 29, 2022, 08:22:06 PM »
Chad, is the jingle family at a particular risk...obviously you don't have answer that..

I mean, I know being sick blows, but I assume you're all vaccinated. Even if you do test positive, don't you have confidence that you're protected by the vaccine?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3912 on: April 29, 2022, 08:24:48 PM »
Yesterday ....

1st day of new job.  All day in-person strategy session, followed by social drinks food.  At the strategy session in the office, I'm the only one of about 30 people that came with a mask.  It was a large space, we're all spread out, so I ditched it after breakfast/coffee.  It felt pretty safe and secure.

Went to the bar/pub, wearing a mask inside - again, I'm the only of our group wearing a mask, and hardly anyone in the whole place has one other than the staff.  The one guy I'm sitting next to for about 5-10 minutes while I had my mask off for ONE drink, and stuffed some nachos and pizza in my mouth to quell my hunger, sends a note to the group this morning that he tested positive.

JFC.  My first time out in a public setting like this, or any kind of large social gathering (other than movie theaters), since March of '20, and despite all the precautions I take, I'm directly exposed to COVID sans masks.  So, I (and the rest of the jingle.family will be somewhat be on pins and needles until probably Tuesday or Wednesday before I'll feel "clear".

FFS.

This ... THIS ... is the kind of shit that makes me take the precautions I do (I got no ill-will towards the other guy, it's just a random fucking thing - this was his first crowded gathering in 2022 - though, if he tested positive just 16 hours after the gathering, it's unlikely he caught it yesterday).  All the power to you guys that have avoided it so far, and are comfortable being out in public maskless in crowded spaces.  It's still a fucking crapshoot.

Stress less man, you'll be fine.

Plus, it's a new job social thing, you can't avoid that sort of setting just because you 'might' get COVID.

I don't go out fucking anywhere and still got it somehow!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3913 on: April 29, 2022, 08:27:05 PM »
So I got COVID about two weeks ago.  I'm not vaccinated at all.  For me, it was about 2 days of body aches, fever with a sore throat and fatigue.  Was coughing up some shit for a few days but wasn't bedridden at all.  Was still going to work outside of hours so I didn't come in contact with anyone.  For me it was like a normal flu.  If COVID wasn't a thing, I would have carried on as normal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3914 on: May 02, 2022, 06:26:54 AM »
Obviously I feel bad for jingle and the jingle family, and it goes without saying that I hope no one in the clan gets it, but I'm not sure I can live that way.   Man plans and God laughs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3915 on: May 02, 2022, 06:36:53 AM »
Obviously I feel bad for jingle and the jingle family, and it goes without saying that I hope no one in the clan gets it, but I'm not sure I can live that way.   Man plans and God laughs.

Well, no positive test (yet), but I've run the gauntlet of COVID symptoms since about dinnertime on Saturday - extremely sore throat, tight chest, cough, aches, intestinal issues, coughing up phlegm.  Only need nausea and fever to complete the set.

And to answer your question Tim... yes, both jingle.kids suffered from asthmas as children.  It's largely a non-issue, but who knows how they'd handle a respiratory virus.

I'm quite thankful that the person that told the group Friday morning he tested positive, because I've been able to mask and isolate since then - and it seems the virus has spared the rest of the jingle.family.

I guess my earlier point was that if I - as a very risk averse person taking many precautions most other people don't - can get this, it just goes to show how easily it spreads.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3916 on: May 02, 2022, 06:54:16 AM »
Did you test positive (I hope not)?

Look, I'm not interested in arguing with you when your health is at stake, and the ONLY think I want you to take from my posts here is that when it comes to your health, I hope you and your family get through this relatively scott-free.  But there ARE flaws in your logical conclusion based on one data point.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3917 on: May 02, 2022, 08:12:53 AM »
Come on guys.  There's no need to even suggest that there might be an argument... And is it really, after everything that's happened over the last few years and the things we've read from others in this very thread, hard to imagine why someone would be concerned?  If someone got it and it was mild and no big deal, that's great.  We can only hope it's like that for everyone.  But it's not a head scratcher why someone would be concerned.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3918 on: May 02, 2022, 08:19:15 AM »
Missing 2 things Stads.

1. When you're sick before covid, a high majority stay home.

2.  You have to know the mindset of the people around you that influence your situation.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3919 on: May 02, 2022, 10:42:09 AM »
Missing 2 things Stads.

1. When you're sick before covid, a high majority stay home.

2.  You have to know the mindset of the people around you that influence your situation.

And number 2 was kind of where I was going; how can you?   I didn't think I said "not to be concerned", outright, but there are things we control and things we don't, and even the things we control it's not an absolute.   I can't go around worrying about that meteor that didn't hit me.