Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195434 times)

Offline Harmony

Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #3850 on: March 10, 2022, 11:52:31 AM »
I also want to point out that it may be problematic to compare/contrast Florida to California in another way.  Let's just say we accept all the reported data from both of those states as accurate.  Is it still fair to compare them?

Florida tends to have higher temps which would allow for more outdoor activities/gatherings which would limit spread of a viral illness spread by respiratory droplets.

California has warm temps too but not in exactly the same way.  Northern California, the coastal areas, and Sierra Nevada foothills can have much cooler/wetter climates.  Covid cases could be more robust in those areas where people cannot congregate outside year around.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3851 on: March 10, 2022, 12:03:42 PM »
Almost all the data I reference re: COVID cases and deaths are from https://www.worldometers.info/

That looks like a cool website.

I'm a bit more concerned by this statement on where they glean their data:  "Official reports, directly from Government's communication channels or indirectly, through local media sources when deemed reliable."

Again, I haven't taken the time to look at Florida's numbers specifically so I can't say whether or not your source is accurate.  I'm just saying that numbers can be manipulated quite easily.  People on the conservative end of the spectrum say they are OVER reported and people on the liberal end of the spectrum claim they are UNDER reported.  States are doing reporting differently.  And media sources?  LoL, ok.....

I would agree with all of this, and I do recall during Florida's giant surge early on in the pandemic that a health department employee in Florida blew the whistle on heavy governmental pressure to change the numbers and under-report the number of cases or deaths. 

I just find it amazing that going back to normal means that it's generally acceptable for kids to be sick.  People get angry over kids having to wear masks, but calling our kids out of school for 4 out of 9 days is acceptable?  I can't even get her homework because the school will only send homework home for 5 day absences or more (covid quarantine). 

I have a health degree and understand that illnesses have their usefulness in keeping our immune systems running property, but at the same time, wouldn't it be nice to find a way to reduce the spread of the stomach flu in a school?  We embrace certain tools, like technology, but we can't embrace mask usage when ill so we're not spreading germs?

Sounds like a problem with the school system more so than the sickness.

Humans can't control everything in this world. That's when Nature laughs and proves humans wrong, and it's happened time and time again throughout history.

One way to stop spread is to not send your kid to school, but with the way the system of this society is ran, that is not a possibility. So that is not the problem of the illness, but an issue of the very system of society we humans are required to live by. Meaning, not many can afford to keep their children at home, so they send them to school sick.

You could even isolate the child within the school while letting a teacher teach them on a personal level, sort of like having a teacher that would teach students that show signs of illness.

There's ways around things.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3852 on: March 10, 2022, 01:49:49 PM »
Almost all the data I reference re: COVID cases and deaths are from https://www.worldometers.info/

That looks like a cool website.

I'm a bit more concerned by this statement on where they glean their data:  "Official reports, directly from Government's communication channels or indirectly, through local media sources when deemed reliable."

Again, I haven't taken the time to look at Florida's numbers specifically so I can't say whether or not your source is accurate.  I'm just saying that numbers can be manipulated quite easily.  People on the conservative end of the spectrum say they are OVER reported and people on the liberal end of the spectrum claim they are UNDER reported.  States are doing reporting differently.  And media sources?  LoL, ok.....

I would agree with all of this, and I do recall during Florida's giant surge early on in the pandemic that a health department employee in Florida blew the whistle on heavy governmental pressure to change the numbers and under-report the number of cases or deaths. 

I just find it amazing that going back to normal means that it's generally acceptable for kids to be sick.  People get angry over kids having to wear masks, but calling our kids out of school for 4 out of 9 days is acceptable?  I can't even get her homework because the school will only send homework home for 5 day absences or more (covid quarantine). 

I have a health degree and understand that illnesses have their usefulness in keeping our immune systems running property, but at the same time, wouldn't it be nice to find a way to reduce the spread of the stomach flu in a school?  We embrace certain tools, like technology, but we can't embrace mask usage when ill so we're not spreading germs?

All fair points, and I'm not going to waste even a sentence on defending Florida and/or their numbers.   But then there's the the NY Times Morning article about how little we actually control COVID and how often it has defied the common wisdom.  And there's this NY Times article, and I quote:  "Combined, these factors seem as if they should have caused large differences in case rates.  They have not. And that they haven’t offers some clarity about the relative effectiveness of different Covid interventions."  Read the rest of the article for context, but it's pretty clear that the common wisdom is anything but.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3853 on: March 10, 2022, 01:53:33 PM »
Isn't Florida where the girl that was in charge of stats fired for not keeping the "right" statistics or something like that??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3854 on: March 10, 2022, 02:11:43 PM »
Isn't Florida where the girl that was in charge of stats fired for not keeping the "right" statistics or something like that??

^Fake news.

https://news.yahoo.com/rebekah-jones-covid-whistleblower-wasn-103039488.html
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3855 on: March 10, 2022, 02:15:16 PM »
And just for the record, California and New York, to name two, have both weathered scandals about under-reporting COVID numbers. I get Harmony's original point - take ANY numbers with a grain of salt - but it goes across all lines, and if we're going to accept some we might as well accept all.  I can't imagine that it's a case of China (whose numbers are simply incredulous at this point).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3856 on: March 10, 2022, 02:25:13 PM »

^Fake news.

Did Stadler write that article?  :biggrin:

Jones now claims that she was “terrified” by the police’s visit.

I guess "terrified" would need to be "TERRIFIED" to be written by him.  :biggrin:

I started reading the article and was wondering why it seemed like a hit piece. Then I saw it was from the National Review. It made sense then.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3857 on: March 11, 2022, 07:00:03 AM »

^Fake news.

Did Stadler write that article?  :biggrin:

Jones now claims that she was “terrified” by the police’s visit.

I guess "terrified" would need to be "TERRIFIED" to be written by him.  :biggrin:

I started reading the article and was wondering why it seemed like a hit piece. Then I saw it was from the National Review. It made sense then.

Where are the COMMAS?!? 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3858 on: March 14, 2022, 03:10:40 PM »
A whole weekend without discussion.  That should be a good sign.  And perhaps it is, for this community is largely Europe and NA.  Asia is getting hammered again.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1503420660869214213

It's worth 5 minutes of your day to scroll through this guys posts.  HK is getting slaughtered - literally.  And Mainland China is about to feel it.

"Without the benefits of mass elderly vaccination or any infection-acquired immunity, Omicron remains highly lethal"

And South Korea looks like this:

Stay safe and diligent people.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3859 on: March 14, 2022, 06:08:12 PM »
And just for the record, California and New York, to name two, have both weathered scandals about under-reporting COVID numbers. I get Harmony's original point - take ANY numbers with a grain of salt - but it goes across all lines, and if we're going to accept some we might as well accept all.  I can't imagine that it's a case of China (whose numbers are simply incredulous at this point).

I would imagine when it comes to the states at least, if we got actual, honest numbers from each state, I'd guess they'd be really similar.

We'll never see honest numbers from China, that was like my Dr. asking me how much I drank a week, it was always a quarter of the actual amount...

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #3860 on: March 19, 2022, 12:45:16 PM »
Someone I consider a friend, a mentor an uncle is now in icu battling covid complications. His name is Stan. He went in 2 weeks ago with serious breathing issues (oxygen levels down to 70%).
He got better Monday already wanting out and being stubborn like he always is. But the other day his stats dropped they had to put him into deep sleep and ventilator. Just learned earlier today he is not urinating so they are worried about kidneys. I am beside myself.

I guess I could say I have been lucky for I have only lost my grand parents (my dads, my mom lost her parents as a child) from natural causes and while we obviously grieved it is part of life. And my grandparents being in Poland while we live in Canada last 30 years, how do I say this. I loved my grandparents but they really weren't in my everyday life outside of the handful of times flying for vacations over the last 3 decades.
This hits a lot harder and closer for me and it's.. well scary, saddening and shocking. I'm crying for the whole family. I don't believe it is happening

A bit of context, his family and my family have been friends for 25 years. My youngest brother met Kathy and Karolina (twins) in grade school, being polish they got talking. They just moved in to the neighbourhood and realized they live still 2 blocks away from my parents home.(we all kids have moved out but the old farts are still in the same houses)
I remember the day they came over as a family, and we all just hit it off. Family trips, get togethers, tight through good times and bad times. His 3 daughters and son are mine and my brothers  close friends.  My cousin is married to one of the daughters .I am the godson to my cousins one son. My mom and dad are both still best friends with Stan and his wife Ela. So yes family.

Everytime I hear the phone message or call a dread runs through me. It hurts. I just needed to type, do something. already drove around in the country, went for walk. Poured a stiff whiskey and coke. Just sitting and fucking waiting... trying to be positive, trying to pray. Thank you if you guys read this. Thank you in advance because I know this community is some of the nicest caring people.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3861 on: March 19, 2022, 01:27:19 PM »
That's tough to hear man.  I hope it turns out for the best.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3862 on: March 19, 2022, 04:30:37 PM »
Spiritus, so sorry to hear that. That was a touching read.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #3863 on: March 21, 2022, 09:09:48 AM »
Just received notice that we no longer have to wear masks at our facility unless we are in a patient area. This is amazing news. For the first time in over two years! This is subject to change, of course, if a new wave washes in. But for now, I'm grateful to have turned the corner. It has felt like forever.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3864 on: March 22, 2022, 09:36:33 AM »
And as of this writing, our county is down to 0 cases for the first time in 2 years.  :metal

We'll see for how long though.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3865 on: March 22, 2022, 09:45:53 AM »
And as of this writing, our county is down to 0 cases for the first time in 2 years.  :metal

This. I'm as excited as anyone for this to be over, but I can't shake the feeling that this current calm is too good to be true. :eek

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3866 on: March 22, 2022, 12:35:58 PM »

This. I'm as excited as anyone for this to be over, but I can't shake the feeling that this current calm is too good to be true. :eek

And now we're up to one case.

Oh well - it was good while it lasted..... :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3867 on: March 22, 2022, 01:02:14 PM »
Here in Ontario, the paediatric cases in ICU > adults.   :tup <sarcasm>

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3868 on: March 24, 2022, 07:27:20 AM »
I miss the great memes from the early days of the pandemic in March 2020:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3869 on: March 24, 2022, 07:35:48 AM »

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3870 on: March 24, 2022, 08:21:39 AM »

That came up in my FB memories today lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3871 on: March 24, 2022, 09:15:30 AM »
FB Memories??

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3872 on: March 24, 2022, 09:32:33 AM »
Yes they are telling you what to remember. What, do you do that on your own?!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3873 on: March 24, 2022, 09:48:06 AM »
Those early memories are weird to read now.  I had one that talked about how the first confirmed cases were being reported in my county, then a few days later about how someone in my office had been exposed.  There was a dreadful "It's coming!" feel at the time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3874 on: March 24, 2022, 10:21:18 AM »
Those early memories are weird to read now.  I had one that talked about how the first confirmed cases were being reported in my county, then a few days later about how someone in my office had been exposed.  There was a dreadful "It's coming!" feel at the time.

Unlike the dread of 'it's still fucking here'.  Article from 2 hours ago:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/spring-wave-of-covid-19-be-prepared-canada-experts-warn-1.5832740
Officials in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and B.C. say wastewater analysis suggests COVID-19 infections are beginning to climb again. However, experts say it's not yet clear whether Canada's next wave will be a surge or a ripple.  "It could be a wave, it could be a smaller wave… It's not entirely clear what’s on deck, but we'll probably have a rise in cases and we know that whenever there's a rise in cases, there's usually this corresponding rise, sadly, in hospitalizations and deaths."

Public health officials tracking prevalence of COVID-19 through municipal wastewater testing in Ontario say they’re seeing a "sustained increase" in the viral signal in a variety of locations.

The increase comes after the province rolled back mask mandates and other restrictions including capacity limits for many indoor spaces and vaccine passports. Other provinces that have also recently eased restrictions, such as Alberta and B.C., are also seeing an uptick in viral load through wastewater data.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3875 on: March 24, 2022, 10:55:03 AM »

I remember a post in my local neighborhood Facebook group blowing up with 150-200 comments when someone reported that our McDonalds had an employee that was covid positive.  The neighborhood was freaking out, with so many people posting "OMG, I went through that drive-through today!" or "Why are/aren't they closed?"  Then the manager of the McDonalds had to chime in and address the accusation.

The same goes for the woman that explained how she covered her countertop in butcher paper when bringing home take-out food.  Potentially covid contaminated containers from the restaurant stayed on one section of the paper and the food was transferred to clean plates on the other side of the paper.  Then everything was discarded. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3876 on: March 24, 2022, 11:01:34 AM »
Yep.  I remember the YouTube videos demonstrating how to disinfect everything you brought home from the store.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3877 on: March 24, 2022, 11:06:56 AM »
Yes they are telling you what to remember. What, do you do that on your own?!

:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3878 on: March 24, 2022, 04:38:17 PM »
Yep.  I remember the YouTube videos demonstrating how to disinfect everything you brought home from the store.

Wow, I remember one of those. WTF??

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3879 on: March 24, 2022, 04:41:39 PM »

We didn’t know what we didn’t know.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3880 on: March 24, 2022, 06:10:55 PM »

Yep!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3881 on: March 25, 2022, 01:58:55 PM »

Yep!

My parents were leaving non-refrigerated stuff in the garage for a couple days before bringing it into the house.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3882 on: March 27, 2022, 06:19:10 AM »
Before we knew what the primary transmission vectors were, I could definitely at least understand why certain persons would have done that.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3883 on: March 27, 2022, 11:43:43 AM »
Some viruses and bacterias are easily spread via fomites.  It was logical in the beginning to suspect SARS-CoV-2 could be too.

This is why we are encouraged to wash our hands frequently and when someone is sick in your home to wipe down frequently touched surfaces like door knobs, phones, and light switches.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #3884 on: March 27, 2022, 05:36:04 PM »
Someone I consider a friend, a mentor an uncle is now in icu battling covid complications. His name is Stan. He went in 2 weeks ago with serious breathing issues (oxygen levels down to 70%).
He got better Monday already wanting out and being stubborn like he always is. But the other day his stats dropped they had to put him into deep sleep and ventilator. Just learned earlier today he is not urinating so they are worried about kidneys. I am beside myself.

I guess I could say I have been lucky for I have only lost my grand parents (my dads, my mom lost her parents as a child) from natural causes and while we obviously grieved it is part of life. And my grandparents being in Poland while we live in Canada last 30 years, how do I say this. I loved my grandparents but they really weren't in my everyday life outside of the handful of times flying for vacations over the last 3 decades.
This hits a lot harder and closer for me and it's.. well scary, saddening and shocking. I'm crying for the whole family. I don't believe it is happening

A bit of context, his family and my family have been friends for 25 years. My youngest brother met Kathy and Karolina (twins) in grade school, being polish they got talking. They just moved in to the neighbourhood and realized they live still 2 blocks away from my parents home.(we all kids have moved out but the old farts are still in the same houses)
I remember the day they came over as a family, and we all just hit it off. Family trips, get togethers, tight through good times and bad times. His 3 daughters and son are mine and my brothers  close friends.  My cousin is married to one of the daughters .I am the godson to my cousins one son. My mom and dad are both still best friends with Stan and his wife Ela. So yes family.

Everytime I hear the phone message or call a dread runs through me. It hurts. I just needed to type, do something. already drove around in the country, went for walk. Poured a stiff whiskey and coke. Just sitting and fucking waiting... trying to be positive, trying to pray. Thank you if you guys read this. Thank you in advance because I know this community is some of the nicest caring people.

Stan passed away this morning.