Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195507 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #3815 on: February 24, 2022, 06:58:07 AM »
we remember that COVID's gonna do what COVID's gonna do regardless of what we humans do. 

I really don't understand this statement.  We're the hosts.  We enable the virus.  We move the virus.  We are the vessel by which it travels, spreads, and grows. We're very much in a crucial part of what COVID's gonna do.

Though, XJ said it better.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3816 on: February 24, 2022, 07:01:52 AM »
CORRELATED, not CAUSAL.

I've worked in science for two decades and have 70+ papers under my belt in the field of correlation spectroscopy. Can we work on the assumption that I am aware of the difference?

Of course you are.  Not everyone else is, though. That's plain just by reading this thread.   And it's not a criticism, necessarily, just a comment.

I'm cool with however this plays out, as long as 1) the pandemic isn't further weaponized to achieve non-COVID goals, and 2) we remember that COVID's gonna do what COVID's gonna do regardless of what we humans do.

How well it can do it is very much dependent on what humans do though. It's much less likely to evolve the fewer people who have it, and the more of those people who are vaccinated. Otherwise medicine and public health measures would be worthless endeavours.

No doubt, but we North Americans sometimes forget that there are six other continents, and we are only about 580 million out of almost 8 BILLION people on the planet.   Not even 10% of the world population.  We've seen WILDLY different agendas here in the states when it comes to "what humans do", and those agendas didn't translate into WILDLY different outcomes.  In fact, for a long time - up to Omicron - the outcomes were almost identical.  You can't find a post in the last five pages (other than mine) that even acknowledges this fact let alone incorporates it into the analysis.

None of this is to say we shouldn't be actively doing our part, but there has to be some understanding of where that part fits in the bigger picture. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3817 on: February 24, 2022, 01:22:24 PM »
Something no one talks about - Animals can get and spread COVID. Implications should be obvious...
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3818 on: February 24, 2022, 01:36:52 PM »
Something no one talks about - Animals can get and spread COVID. Implications should be obvious...

Go vegetarian?

Sounds good!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3819 on: February 24, 2022, 01:51:21 PM »
Crap... I just fed my roommate's fish....

Offline Adami

« Reply #3820 on: February 24, 2022, 01:56:26 PM »
Crap... I just fed my roommate's fish....

To whom?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3821 on: February 24, 2022, 01:59:08 PM »
My understanding is that while animals can get and transmit covid, they are very unlikely to transmit it to humans.  I recall reading of different variants found in deer but they didn't think they posed threats to humans.  The CDC website says

At this time, there is no evidence that animals play a significant role in spreading SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, to people.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html

The wording seems to suggest it's possible, but just not very likely.  But I guess we can't rule out the possibility of it happening in the future.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3822 on: February 24, 2022, 02:20:13 PM »
Even if we accept the CDC's take on transmission as true, the other issue is mutation.
Over and over again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3823 on: February 24, 2022, 02:21:05 PM »

What are the obvious implications?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3824 on: February 24, 2022, 02:26:24 PM »

Transmission/mutation to humans

Not in our control
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3825 on: February 24, 2022, 02:49:06 PM »

Yep. Don't do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLmQTIS9Rv4

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3826 on: February 24, 2022, 02:49:53 PM »

Not in our control

Was it ever in our control?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3827 on: February 24, 2022, 04:40:39 PM »

Not in our control

Was it ever in our control?

Well, I mean, you know my answer to that I'm sure
Over and over again

Offline Adami

« Reply #3828 on: February 24, 2022, 04:54:56 PM »
This conversation is getting weird.

Can't we all just get along and disagree with Stadler together?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3829 on: February 25, 2022, 08:35:42 AM »

Yeah!  :)

Offline Adami

« Reply #3830 on: February 25, 2022, 08:36:31 AM »

Stadler, personally ending the divisiveness!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3831 on: February 25, 2022, 08:41:20 AM »
He's also good at grab ass.  Trust me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3832 on: February 25, 2022, 10:39:22 AM »

I wear glasses...so I literally paid to read this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3833 on: February 25, 2022, 10:55:04 AM »

I wear glasses...so I literally paid to read this.

And worth every penny, amirite!  :) :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3834 on: February 25, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »

NO!!!

Am I doing it right?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3835 on: February 26, 2022, 07:06:00 AM »
a very even handed dive into the topic of vaccines & freedom from the always entertaining and informative Abigail from Philosophy Tube https://youtu.be/Va0RCgbywGc

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3836 on: March 01, 2022, 05:38:27 PM »
Just tested negative for covid...9 day turnaround from initial positive to the negative...fairly painless experience altogether thankfully with no known collateral damage.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3837 on: March 01, 2022, 07:19:54 PM »
Just tested negative for covid...9 day turnaround from initial positive to the negative...fairly painless experience altogether thankfully with no known collateral damage.

Awesome!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3838 on: March 01, 2022, 07:41:29 PM »

Awesome!

Especially thankful I didn't get anyone the Sat before I tested, I was at a big AA speaker meeting, maskless, talking and hugging people all around. I started feeling symptoms the next morning. As far as I know, nobody caught it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3839 on: March 10, 2022, 05:43:57 AM »
Current situation in my house.  My daughter brought home a bad cold last week and was out sick for two days.  I now have the cold and took yesterday off of work because I was so miserable.  I haven't slept well in 2-3 nights.  My daughter then brought home the stomach flu this week and will be out sick for two days again.

Good thing we got rid of the masks and now these other bugs are flying around schools again causing a TON of kids to miss school.  The last time we had the stomach flu in the house was January 2020.  We went two years without it because the kids had masks on at school. 

For the record, I agree with giving it a try without masks and my daughter is so happy about it.  But the causation of the cold and stomach flu going around isn't lost on me - those masks did help keep these other viruses at bay, even if Omicron snuck around them. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3840 on: March 10, 2022, 05:53:37 AM »
Current situation in my house.  My daughter brought home a bad cold last week and was out sick for two days.  I now have the cold and took yesterday off of work because I was so miserable.  I haven't slept well in 2-3 nights.  My daughter then brought home the stomach flu this week and will be out sick for two days again.

Good thing we got rid of the masks and now these other bugs are flying around schools again causing a TON of kids to miss school.  The last time we had the stomach flu in the house was January 2020.  We went two years without it because the kids had masks on at school. 

For the record, I agree with giving it a try without masks and my daughter is so happy about it.  But the causation of the cold and stomach flu going around isn't lost on me - those masks did help keep these other viruses at bay, even if Omicron snuck around them. 

That's something we would have had to contend with no matter what. Many peoples' immune systems have gotten a nice long vacation. I feel like this was inevitable. I return to the office next week and I'm anticipating being decently sick at some point within the first month back.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3841 on: March 10, 2022, 06:02:06 AM »
I know that, and as my favorite comic strip showed, we are back to normal. 

I just find it sad that so many parents raged about kids wearing masks, yet they're ok with calling their kids out of school numerous times for illnesses.  I hate that my daughter has missed 4 out of 9 school days within the last two weeks.  A 50% attendance rate for a few weeks is acceptable and normal as long as they don't have to wear a mask? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3842 on: March 10, 2022, 07:13:01 AM »
I know that, and as my favorite comic strip showed, we are back to normal. 

I just find it sad that so many parents raged about kids wearing masks, yet they're ok with calling their kids out of school numerous times for illnesses.  I hate that my daughter has missed 4 out of 9 school days within the last two weeks.  A 50% attendance rate for a few weeks is acceptable and normal as long as they don't have to wear a mask?

I don't understand that connection.  I never "raged" about kids wearing masks, but I am sort of indifferent to it. I told my kids to "follow the rules", because that's what we do at that age, and my stepson in particular is pretty adamant about wearing them, but honestly, at least here in CT, the administration of the mask policies has been less than scientific (see the Politics thread; I don't agree with DeSantis, but I do know what he means when he says "COVID theater").   And while I would never be "OK" with my kid being home from school sick, I understand the process and realize that being "sick-free" is not a reality, and, in terms of immuno-health, has it's plusses and minuses.  I can't speak for all parents any more than you can, but I think reducing it so simply misses some important points and points of view.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3843 on: March 10, 2022, 07:50:10 AM »
There was definite rage from parents, with lots of school boards having to call the police to their meetings because of threats - on a nationwide level.  Watching these board meetings has been fascinating to see the parental behavior.

I followed our local parents in my district pretty closely, who created a Facebook group to coordinate their efforts.  While they remained calm when speaking in front of our school board (I do give them a lot of credit for that), their online messaging consists of full-on rage.  When our school district wasn't fast enough for them in adjusting their mask policy, they threatened all sorts of action against them.  The district asked parents for their patience throughout the process, however, these parents refused to be patient and demanded that they capitulate.  A few parents kept the pitchforks out, even after the policy was adjusted, with statements that they will never let this "abuse" happen to their children again.  The anger about their children having to wear a paper mask when at school drove them to a fervor.  I monitored it just because I didn't want to be dropping off my kid at school and being surprised by a protest or something more serious.  Sadly, the BLM riots and January 6th showed us that when enough people on one side of a political belief get worked up enough, they can be driven to take things too far. 

Like you, I'm indifferent.  When covid numbers were big, I felt like masks were justifiable.  They truly have their use to help reduce transmission within a population (in this case, children in a school), and if they didn't work, doctor's wouldn't wear them when performing surgery.  Now that covid numbers are a lot less, I agree with the decision to take the masks off.

My point was that it's nonsense to just dismiss what masks do by saying "they don't work."  Well gee, the timing on the stomach flu and colds keeping kids home is impeccable.  I know we're not going to be illness free, but to sit back and say "masks don't work" and being angry about kids having to wear them....while not being bothered by having your kid miss 50% of their school days over a period of 2 weeks seems ass-backward to me.   Heaven forbid your kid have to wear a paper mask at school, but we're perfectly fine with calling them out of school repeatedly because other kids keep getting them sick.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3844 on: March 10, 2022, 09:14:49 AM »
There was definite rage from parents, with lots of school boards having to call the police to their meetings because of threats - on a nationwide level.  Watching these board meetings has been fascinating to see the parental behavior.

I followed our local parents in my district pretty closely, who created a Facebook group to coordinate their efforts.  While they remained calm when speaking in front of our school board (I do give them a lot of credit for that), their online messaging consists of full-on rage.  When our school district wasn't fast enough for them in adjusting their mask policy, they threatened all sorts of action against them.  The district asked parents for their patience throughout the process, however, these parents refused to be patient and demanded that they capitulate.  A few parents kept the pitchforks out, even after the policy was adjusted, with statements that they will never let this "abuse" happen to their children again.  The anger about their children having to wear a paper mask when at school drove them to a fervor.  I monitored it just because I didn't want to be dropping off my kid at school and being surprised by a protest or something more serious.  Sadly, the BLM riots and January 6th showed us that when enough people on one side of a political belief get worked up enough, they can be driven to take things too far. 

Like you, I'm indifferent.  When covid numbers were big, I felt like masks were justifiable.  They truly have their use to help reduce transmission within a population (in this case, children in a school), and if they didn't work, doctor's wouldn't wear them when performing surgery.  Now that covid numbers are a lot less, I agree with the decision to take the masks off.

My point was that it's nonsense to just dismiss what masks do by saying "they don't work." Well gee, the timing on the stomach flu and colds keeping kids home is impeccable.  I know we're not going to be illness free, but to sit back and say "masks don't work" and being angry about kids having to wear them....while not being bothered by having your kid miss 50% of their school days over a period of 2 weeks seems ass-backward to me.   Heaven forbid your kid have to wear a paper mask at school, but we're perfectly fine with calling them out of school repeatedly because other kids keep getting them sick.

Certainly, if you've read any of my posts here over the last ten years, you know I agree with that.  I think ANY blanket statement like that (in this arena) is likely nonsense.   I'm just struggling with the next step; I certainly don't want my kids to be sick.  The worst thing in the world is to see your child suffering from a cold, or stomach flu, or something like that.   But I have a more macro, philosophical look at things.  We don't live in a bubble.  We live in the world.  I don't WANT my kid to be sick, and I don't WANT my kid to have the experience of leukemia or something like that, but enduring a cold, or a stomach flu for a couple days has, for me, as many potential positives as negatives.  I don't feel the trade-offs are such that it makes sense to have our kids wearing masks if the benefit is just fewer incidents of the common cold. 

I'm also not too keen on the "timing" argument.  There are too many incidents over the last two years that "seem" to make common sense, but with further scrutiny, don't stand up to that.   For the longest time, Florida and California had almost diametrically opposed COVID policies, and yet... had almost the same numbers in terms of cases and deaths per capita.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3845 on: March 10, 2022, 11:06:28 AM »
I'm not sure where you are getting your stats and am not disagreeing with your analysis but wish to point out that Florida has been accused more than once on distributing misleading data that puts them in a 'better' light with regard to cases and deaths.  This is just one link.  There are others to be looked at using your favorite search engine. 

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/11/scicheck-desantis-comments-social-media-posts-mislead-on-covid-19s-toll-in-florida/
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3846 on: March 10, 2022, 11:14:16 AM »
Almost all the data I reference re: COVID cases and deaths are from https://www.worldometers.info/

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3847 on: March 10, 2022, 11:19:17 AM »
Almost all the data I reference re: COVID cases and deaths are from https://www.worldometers.info/

That looks like a cool website.

I'm a bit more concerned by this statement on where they glean their data:  "Official reports, directly from Government's communication channels or indirectly, through local media sources when deemed reliable."

Again, I haven't taken the time to look at Florida's numbers specifically so I can't say whether or not your source is accurate.  I'm just saying that numbers can be manipulated quite easily.  People on the conservative end of the spectrum say they are OVER reported and people on the liberal end of the spectrum claim they are UNDER reported.  States are doing reporting differently.  And media sources?  LoL, ok.....

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3848 on: March 10, 2022, 11:38:01 AM »

I'm a bit more concerned by this statement on where they glean their data:  "Official reports, directly from Government's communication channels or indirectly, through local media sources when deemed reliable."

Again, I haven't taken the time to look at Florida's numbers specifically so I can't say whether or not your source is accurate.  I'm just saying that numbers can be manipulated quite easily.  People on the conservative end of the spectrum say they are OVER reported and people on the liberal end of the spectrum claim they are UNDER reported.  States are doing reporting differently.  And media sources?  LoL, ok.....

That's what I call playing the numbers game.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3849 on: March 10, 2022, 11:48:41 AM »

I would agree with all of this, and I do recall during Florida's giant surge early on in the pandemic that a health department employee in Florida blew the whistle on heavy governmental pressure to change the numbers and under-report the number of cases or deaths. 

I just find it amazing that going back to normal means that it's generally acceptable for kids to be sick.  People get angry over kids having to wear masks, but calling our kids out of school for 4 out of 9 days is acceptable?  I can't even get her homework because the school will only send homework home for 5 day absences or more (covid quarantine). 

I have a health degree and understand that illnesses have their usefulness in keeping our immune systems running property, but at the same time, wouldn't it be nice to find a way to reduce the spread of the stomach flu in a school?  We embrace certain tools, like technology, but we can't embrace mask usage when ill so we're not spreading germs?