Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 191087 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #3395 on: January 30, 2022, 07:24:44 AM »
Your hands touch shopping carts, grocery items, door knobs and handles, the wall, tables, your wallet... etc...
Things other people's hands also touched.

Those same hands touch your mouth, your nose, your face, your ears, your eye lids, your head, your other hand... etc... Leading germs to enter the many tiny holes on your body.
All the things other people have said, but also, many of us don't do this anymore. I basically haven't touched my face outside the home since February 2020. I elbow everything I can and have hand sanitizer for the times when I can't do something with my elbow, or I just avoid touching my phone or belongings until I can go home and wash my hands properly. It's become second nature and I don't feel like a germaphobe - out of people I know, I was always more on the "kinda grimy" side of the spectrum (for instance, I know people who wash their pants every time they use public transport because they sat on the seats, and I know people who never ate anything in public), but doing this has been a completely natural adjustment for me.

Not that any of this helps me with not getting colds because kids at work breathe on me and touch my face all the time :lol but people who do this and don't work at germ-spreading places haven't been sick in years, and good on them.

Speaking of work, work also gave me COVID! Due to new rules here that say kindergartens and schools must stay open at basically all costs, a coworker had to go to work on a day where she was 99% sure she was positive but was just waiting for her test to come back. I was obliged to only get tested on day 3 and day 7 after the contact, but I was a smart cookie and got tested every day, up to day 9, when the test came back positive. My PCR came back positive as well. It's day 3 since my test and I feel absolutely fine - every cold I had in the past year has been an uphill struggle compared to this, and I spent basically this entire winter sick as a dog. And I wasn't even as disciplined with the liquids and the vitamins and the good food as and rest this time as I am every time I get a cold - the vaccine did this job for me.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3396 on: January 30, 2022, 08:01:00 AM »
Test came back negative.  :tup  I'm Zero for 3 and fine with that.

That's awesome Orbert!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3397 on: January 30, 2022, 09:28:33 AM »
Great news (for a bad situation), Milena.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3398 on: January 30, 2022, 09:36:39 AM »
Yeah, I think so too. I wish we could get a vaccine for the common cold too :sadpanda:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3399 on: January 30, 2022, 10:21:20 AM »
Yeah, I think so too. I wish we could get a vaccine for the common cold too :sadpanda:

Yeah, I myself believe that sicknesses and diseases are just a part of life. And these outcomes relate to our decisions as humans both individually and collectively.

If we talk about the air we breathe and how there are chemicals in the air. You can say that all these pollutants are causing our sickness. But will those businesses speak the truth if it's their industrial factories spewing the pollutants causing us to get sick. Will they say that it's those pollutants that are causing these sicknesses and diseases. What if it's the stuff archaeologists dug up like King Tut's tomb or some other sacred site. In my culture, we abandoned places for various reasons, it's why we left places like Chaco Canyon. These were to be left alone and left to wither, but kept there for us to remember from stories passed down. We bury it and leave it be.

We even have a story about sickness in our emergence story. That one bad person came up into this world, and thus caused sickness on a little boy.

For me personally, there's just so much other things out there that cause us sickness and illness more so than Covid. Why are we not focusing on those issues? Like the pollution of the land, sea, and air. Oil spills, air pollution, depletion of soil/destruction of land, are all issues that does affect humans and the quality of life we have.

Then you consider the rise of the Industrial Revolution and it's effects of causing people to become congested in a small area, urbanization.

I believe we humans do things that have either beneficial consequences or detrimental consequences. Yet, are we wise enough to realize and understand whether the outcome is a beneficial or detrimental consequence?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3400 on: January 30, 2022, 10:40:53 AM »
Finally sat down and read through the past month of posts here.  I'm sorry for all those who have been touched in some way by this, and glad that most managed to get through in spite of being inflicted with it.

Man, I finally look at the recent numbers for the USA, because newscasts just give us 'percentages' and   https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ 
Damn!  So many are lackadaisical in the simple safeguards, and yet we're still losing thousands a day. 

One quick story:  our school system is no different than others, what with illnesses, staffing shortages, etc.  A friend of twenty years, who works for the County as an computer programmer and online teacher of teachers, was forced to substitute teach in person over the past two months for three days a week.  She had not taught grade school in fifteen years!  Some days its a five mile commute, other days forty miles (seventy minutes).  She is less than 2 1/2 years from retirement. She called my wife while in tears on Friday, having called in sick, and asking various financial advice in regards to early retirement.  She's the main bread winner, with one daughter still two years away from graduating college.  And now there is talk of not having the kids mask!?!?!?  Why they don't just go back to online instruction for the next month as these numbers skyrocket, I'll never understand.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3401 on: January 30, 2022, 10:58:06 AM »
Finally sat down and read through the past month of posts here.  I'm sorry for all those who have been touched in some way by this, and glad that most managed to get through in spite of being inflicted with it.

Man, I finally look at the recent numbers for the USA, because newscasts just give us 'percentages' and   https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ 
Damn!  So many are lackadaisical in the simple safeguards, and yet we're still losing thousands a day. 

One quick story:  our school system is no different than others, what with illnesses, staffing shortages, etc.  A friend of twenty years, who works for the County as an computer programmer and online teacher of teachers, was forced to substitute teach in person over the past two months for three days a week.  She had not taught grade school in fifteen years!  Some days its a five mile commute, other days forty miles (seventy minutes).  She is less than 2 1/2 years from retirement. She called my wife while in tears on Friday, having called in sick, and asking various financial advice in regards to early retirement.  She's the main bread winner, with one daughter still two years away from graduating college.  And now there is talk of not having the kids mask!?!?!?  Why they don't just go back to online instruction for the next month as these numbers skyrocket, I'll never understand.

You know what happened here. There was a cyberattack on the schools main system and the teachers couldn't update attendance and grades so they closed the schools down until it got resolved. I am sure these will continue. And I laugh because I wonder why the schools do not have a fail-safe for if the technology doesnt want to work and they can't fix it?

But, how was your friend forced to teach?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3402 on: January 30, 2022, 11:11:26 AM »
^
You know that old caveat that exists in most union contracts: 'Management has the rights to manage, as long as it does not violate the terms of the contract'.  Well, they the system is so short on substitute teachers, that she HAS to fill in (since part of her tech job requires her to still be licensed to teach).   So, if she refuses work, she gets fired. :censored

I forgot to add one little trivial item to my prior post.  All of our local TV stations will put up this number for example:  3000 Covid hospitalizations, and just below that will be an up or down arrow from the prior day's total.  Let's say the prior day was 3200, so today's total would be 200 less.  They 'always' say that means 200 people were released.

No, it doesn't!  It means that there was a NET decrease of 200 hospitalizations!  As I said, it's trivial, but it drives me crazy
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3403 on: January 30, 2022, 12:00:43 PM »
^
You know that old caveat that exists in most union contracts: 'Management has the rights to manage, as long as it does not violate the terms of the contract'.  Well, they the system is so short on substitute teachers, that she HAS to fill in (since part of her tech job requires her to still be licensed to teach).   So, if she refuses work, she gets fired. :censored

That just shows me there's a problem with the system. At the end of the day though, she did agree to those terms when she signed onto the job. All jobs have these sorts of conditions where if you refuse to work, then you'll be fired, and these conditions vary, and you agree to them when you accept the job position. An example is, if you want to work in a hospital right now, the conditions to work include having a covid vaccine. If one doesn't want to work at the hospital, could one possibly start their own medical practice if they're licensed doctors? Could one become a private tutor if they don't want to work in the schools?

This makes me wonder what ever happened to these types of jobs where people hired private tutors, or would have a local physician who would come to their home and do a check up of their health?

I also wonder too, if you're not getting paid enough, or don't like your work environment, and you have the qualifications. Why not become a private instructor/physician and charge your own rates for your services? What is preventing people from accomplishing or beginning this task?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3404 on: January 30, 2022, 07:32:55 PM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3405 on: January 30, 2022, 07:33:54 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3406 on: January 30, 2022, 08:40:53 PM »
Why they don't just go back to online instruction for the next month as these numbers skyrocket, I'll never understand.

Because online learning does not work for a vast number of kids and puts an undue burden on parents. There is a downstream effect that should be considered. My wife, a teacher, has been monitoring the situation at her school closely. Many of her kids are medically fragile, and either getting sick (with Covid or other cold/flu bug) or staying home out of caution at a higher rate. But the school in general has seen only a small number of Covid cases. Some classes had to be remote for 5 days (I believe) due to a illnesses among staff and kids, which many teachers is not worth the trouble to switch and then switch back so quickly. But at least here where I am following, the numbers are not skyrocketing in schools.

You know what happened here. There was a cyberattack on the schools main system and the teachers couldn't update attendance and grades so they closed the schools down until it got resolved.

They couldn't just write down who was there on a piece of paper and update the system when it is back online? That reminds me of the King of the Hill where Hank went to buy something, and the store's system went down and thus couldn't complete a sale, and Hank couldn't understand why the clerk couldn't just write him a receipt.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3407 on: January 31, 2022, 04:48:07 AM »
Why they don't just go back to online instruction for the next month as these numbers skyrocket, I'll never understand.

Because online learning does not work for a vast number of kids and puts an undue burden on parents. There is a downstream effect that should be considered. My wife, a teacher, has been monitoring the situation at her school closely. Many of her kids are medically fragile, and either getting sick (with Covid or other cold/flu bug) or staying home out of caution at a higher rate. But the school in general has seen only a small number of Covid cases. Some classes had to be remote for 5 days (I believe) due to a illnesses among staff and kids, which many teachers is not worth the trouble to switch and then switch back so quickly. But at least here where I am following, the numbers are not skyrocketing in schools.

The idea that schools were especially bad for spreading COVID intuitively made sense but has never been supported by data. Don't understand why this idea has been so sticky.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 05:02:02 AM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3408 on: January 31, 2022, 06:18:40 AM »
Finally, a great treatment for those that don't want the vaccine!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/01/11/urine-therapy-latest-covid-antidote/9169167002/

Bear Grylls has been using this therapy for years!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3409 on: January 31, 2022, 07:46:45 AM »

You know what happened here. There was a cyberattack on the schools main system and the teachers couldn't update attendance and grades so they closed the schools down until it got resolved.

They couldn't just write down who was there on a piece of paper and update the system when it is back online? That reminds me of the King of the Hill where Hank went to buy something, and the store's system went down and thus couldn't complete a sale, and Hank couldn't understand why the clerk couldn't just write him a receipt.

I know my stepson did online work for about 2/3 of a school year, and honestly, he didn't learn a damn thing that entire time.  It was lost time in terms of his education. 

I feel bad for anyone that is put in the line of fire, so to speak, but the issue isn't, in my opinion, as simple as "endanger workers" or "teach online".   The repurcussions go well beyond that.  What will we be like ten years from now, with the current generation a year or two or three behind the curve? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3410 on: January 31, 2022, 08:03:29 AM »
It's a balancing act, for sure.  My kid, for example, is naturally introverted, and had the last year and a half of high school and first year (so far) of college completely remote, and it's been a positive for them.

Not sure what the right answer is going forward for schools.  It's tough.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3411 on: January 31, 2022, 08:15:24 AM »
My kids fit somewhere between Hef's and Stads'.  I wouldn't say they're thriving, but they're making due (for the most part) just fine.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3412 on: January 31, 2022, 08:22:38 AM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/01/11/urine-therapy-latest-covid-antidote/9169167002/

Articles like this are disinformation through implication.

I have never heard of this guy before I read this USA today story. Aside from articles reporting on him and his work, I cannot find any trace of him in the Internet (even using DuckDuckGo or Brave Search. One of the articles linked to his website, but that website doesn't show for me on search). His Twitter account was banned but it should still appear on search engines. I looked at a couple stories about this guy and none of them really get into the reach he has.

Absent evidence to the contrary, I have to assume that this individual has no real following whatsoever, or else the media sources reporting on him would talk about that. But reporting on something as absurd as drinking urine to cure COVID is an easy dunk for reporters who need to put out content. While I can't analyze the motivations of each news outlet that published the story, the effect this has is to create the impression this is some kind of actual movement when it really isn't.

And the outcome of creating that impression is... exactly the post I'm quoting. Another excuse to demonize people.
Over and over again

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3413 on: January 31, 2022, 09:21:08 AM »

I have never heard of this guy before I read this USA today story. Aside from articles reporting on him and his work, I cannot find any trace of him in the Internet (even using DuckDuckGo or Brave Search. One of the articles linked to his website, but that website doesn't show for me on search). His Twitter account was banned but it should still appear on search engines. I looked at a couple stories about this guy and none of them really get into the reach he has.

Absent evidence to the contrary, I have to assume that this individual has no real following whatsoever, or else the media sources reporting on him would talk about that. But reporting on something as absurd as drinking urine to cure COVID is an easy dunk for reporters who need to put out content. While I can't analyze the motivations of each news outlet that published the story, the effect this has is to create the impression this is some kind of actual movement when it really isn't.

And the outcome of creating that impression is... exactly the post I'm quoting. Another excuse to demonize people.

I dunno dude, this story is over a month old. Hell, even Jimmy Kimmel was making fun of him on show in early January. There's video of him out there.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3414 on: January 31, 2022, 09:32:36 AM »

I dunno dude, this story is over a month old. Hell, even Jimmy Kimmel was making fun of him on show in early January. There's video of him out there.

Within what I'm suggesting, Kimmel making fun of him is exactly what you'd expect. Exaggerate the story's profile by putting it on one of the major late night talk shows.
Over and over again

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3415 on: January 31, 2022, 09:36:24 AM »

Within what I'm suggesting, Kimmel making fun of him is exactly what you'd expect. Exaggerate the story's profile by putting it on one of the major late night talk shows.

Well I would watch the video of him telling his audience this and judge for yourself. It's pretty gross but hey - if that's his kink........

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3416 on: January 31, 2022, 09:36:50 AM »

Yeah, I'm sort of with you on that.  I was a RELIGIOUS watcher of Johnny Carson and David Letterman. They had their moments touching on issues of the day, but it was done with subtlety, deftness and intellect.   I actually watch ZERO late night now because in my opinion, their overwhelming snark and judgment is a sledgehammer that has made the situation far worse, not better.   

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3417 on: January 31, 2022, 10:39:28 AM »

Yeah, I'm sort of with you on that.  I was a RELIGIOUS watcher of Johnny Carson and David Letterman. They had their moments touching on issues of the day, but it was done with subtlety, deftness and intellect.   I actually watch ZERO late night now because in my opinion, their overwhelming snark and judgment is a sledgehammer that has made the situation far worse, not better.

Jimmy Kimmel is hardly a sledgehammer in this clip. Christopher Key deserves all the sledgehammers he can take. They guys a freaking kook!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtozQEsw7RM

Around the 6:00 minute mark.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3418 on: January 31, 2022, 01:22:40 PM »
I can't watch it now; I'll watch it when I'm home (firewalls).   But I'll give you that generally:  Jimmy Fallon is a corporate shill, he's the current generation's Jay Leno; harmless and inoffensive.   He's Elton John.   Jimmy Kimmel is a courser version of that.  He's Billy Joel.   The rest of them, Steven Colbert, Seth Meyers... they're all looking to out-snark each other and be "relevant".  They're the Neil Young's of the world.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3419 on: January 31, 2022, 01:31:48 PM »
edit: nevermind, I misread the post

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3420 on: February 03, 2022, 03:37:40 PM »
Some excellent news out of Sweden and other European countries today as covid is downgraded from a dangerous disease and restrictions are ended  :tup

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3421 on: February 03, 2022, 04:47:46 PM »
Jimmy Fallon is a corporate shill, he's the current generation's Jay Leno; harmless and inoffensive.   He's Elton John.

Man... Comparing Fallon and Leno to Elton John is the most disagreeable thing in this thread.
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3422 on: February 04, 2022, 07:43:35 AM »
Jimmy Fallon is a corporate shill, he's the current generation's Jay Leno; harmless and inoffensive.   He's Elton John.

Man... Comparing Fallon and Leno to Elton John is the most disagreeable thing in this thread.
Agreed
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3423 on: February 04, 2022, 08:08:00 AM »
Some excellent news out of Sweden and other European countries today as covid is downgraded from a dangerous disease and restrictions are ended  :tup

Some major cities in the US are removing mask and vaccine mandates as well.  Locally here in NJ, daily cases are getting close to back to where they were before omnicron.  It burned through so fast.  Hopefully the last major wave, but who knows.  This definitely didn't turn out to be the doom and gloom wave some predicted. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3424 on: February 04, 2022, 08:12:43 AM »
I'm cool with relaxing vaccine and mask mandates.  Kids younger than 5 should hopefully be able to be vaccinated soon. 

We're still waiting on the Illinois school mask mandate lawsuit decision and the more I think about it, the more I realize that kids can't wear masks forever.  I won't see it as a victory for freedom/rights, like other parents view it, but it would be nice for my kids to have a normal school experience.  To me, it's just a sign that covid is becoming manageable. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3425 on: February 04, 2022, 08:16:08 AM »
I'm cool with relaxing vaccine and mask mandates.  Kids younger than 5 should hopefully be able to be vaccinated soon. 

Looks like Sweden are against vaccine for ages 5-11, as well. Which really has made me wonder about whether I'd get my own vaccinated, especially when he already had it:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sweden-decides-against-recommending-covid-vaccines-kids-aged-5-12-2022-01-27/

At any rate, I'd have plenty of questions for the Pediatrician before agreeing to it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3426 on: February 04, 2022, 08:33:01 AM »

Looks like Sweden are against vaccine for ages 5-11, as well. Which really has made me wonder about whether I'd get my own vaccinated, especially when he already had it:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sweden-decides-against-recommending-covid-vaccines-kids-aged-5-12-2022-01-27/

At any rate, I'd have plenty of questions for the Pediatrician before agreeing to it.

I completely disagree with what Sweden is recommending in that article. 

We have a great pediatrician - the office has a standard vaccine schedule.  You agree to what the doctors recommend (traditional childhood vaccinations) or you aren't allowed to be a patient there.  They are wonderful and open to parent's thoughts, but they also put their foot down and won't be pushed around by anti-vax parents.  The office has strongly recommended covid vaccines for kids. 

As for COVID vaccines, I simply don't want my kids to be sick.  They get flu shots every year, and the covid vaccine is essentially the same.  The viruses are related, and the vaccines do the same thing - prevent serious illness.  The vaccine kept my 6 year old from getting too sick - she came down with Omicron, had a fever for 12 hours and cold symptoms for 2 days.  THAT'S ALL.  Adults in this thread that had Omicron were more sick than she was and for a longer period of time.  Unvaccinated kids are symptomatic for longer, and can end up becoming seriously ill - Delta is still going around too, and that was putting hundreds of kids in the hospital in the US last fall.  Being vaccinated also kept her (and my wife and I) from transmitting the virus to our unvaccinated son.

Some kids are also getting Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome after contracting covid, experiencing organ inflammation, and other kids have developed insulin-dependent diabetes after having covid as well.  I will do whatever it takes to keep my kids protected from Covid.  The vaccine is nothing to be concerned about.  If parents want to talk to doctors about it, that's great, but using a tool to prevent illness isn't a bad thing. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3427 on: February 04, 2022, 08:34:44 AM »
My pediatrician friend has been suggesting his patients get vaccinated but hasn't been pushing it hard on the parents who are skeptical because covid generally isn't a big deal for children.  But he does make an emphasis on getting it if the child has any sort of health issues that could make a covid infection worse.  And of course he recommends the parents be vaccinated most importantly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3428 on: February 04, 2022, 09:12:45 AM »

Agreed

Haha, you disagree?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3429 on: February 04, 2022, 09:19:47 AM »

Agreed

Haha, you disagree?
I would never characterize Elton John as inoffensive.

Not that he's overly offensive, mind you.  But Fallen and Leno are definitely milk and toast, while many people I have know would consider Elton John to be QUITE offensive.