Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 191108 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #2625 on: November 20, 2021, 02:50:35 PM »
No idea. This never made much news use here. Senators in Canada are not the same as US Senators. I honestly don’t know what function they form in our government system.

Oh OK. She's from Ontario, so I thought you might be familiar with the story. I ask because my wife has an autoimmune disease that also affects her lungs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2626 on: November 20, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
No idea. This never made much news use here. Senators in Canada are not the same as US Senators. I honestly don’t know what function they form in our government system.

Oh OK. She's from Ontario, so I thought you might be familiar with the story. I ask because my wife has an autoimmune disease that also affects her lungs.

Sorry man. Wish I was of more help.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2627 on: November 20, 2021, 03:16:36 PM »
I’ll watch the news tonight and see if there’s any mention of it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2628 on: November 20, 2021, 03:19:09 PM »
Cool! :tup

I read the official statement, but they didn't mention anything specific.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2629 on: November 26, 2021, 11:01:22 AM »
New variant has emerged in southern Africa, and unfortunately it looks like a lot of us may get to know this one. It'll probably be called Nu which is the next free letter in the Greek alphabet.

(cue nu metal vs. nu Covid jokes)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2630 on: November 26, 2021, 11:03:28 AM »
Yeah... did a bit of reading on this earlier.  You know it's potentially real bad when the stock markets take it in the pills.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2631 on: November 26, 2021, 11:32:33 AM »
Infections have been trending up exponentially again in certain areas, it seems the next wave is already upon us and as far as I know, it's not due to this new strain (yet).  No one knows if the new variant is any worse than the previous, but this winter is going to put some areas to the test for sure.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: November 26, 2021, 11:52:36 AM »
WHO officially calling this one "Omicron"

And I'm hoping the increase in cases is JUST because of the change of seasons, and not because this variant is already in North America.  Ontario daily cases have gone up almost 50% in the past 2 weeks.  We'd been hovering between 400-600 since the summer, and surpassed 900 today.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2633 on: November 26, 2021, 11:56:14 AM »
DT should've toured the original dates, because I'd be shocked if the new ones actually happen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2635 on: November 26, 2021, 01:09:47 PM »
Canada enacted one as well.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2636 on: November 28, 2021, 04:22:25 AM »
The confirmed omicron case in Belgium had no connection to southern Africa, they had instead travelled in Egypt and Turkey. This can only mean we're already a step or two behind thinking that banning flights from there is going to slow it down.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2637 on: November 28, 2021, 08:28:19 AM »
Both pfizer and Moderna announced they can have their boosters ready for omicron in a few months should it prove resistant the current one.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2638 on: November 28, 2021, 08:52:41 AM »
All I can think of when I hear omnicron.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2639 on: November 28, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »
Both pfizer and Moderna announced they can have their boosters ready for omicron in a few months should it prove resistant the current one.

I'd read that it'll take a couple of weeks to determine if the current vaccines are less effective against this strain, and if so, then about 6 weeks for the current vax's to be modified, produced, and distributed.  So, in a sense, you're right ... *IF* Omicron is a stronger variant against the current vax's.

South Africa is only 25%ish vax'd, so I'm hoping that part of the rapid spread is because of that.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2640 on: November 28, 2021, 09:56:21 AM »
All I can think of when I hear omnicron.

The Futurama meme group pages on Facebook are having a ball with this...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2641 on: November 28, 2021, 10:01:31 AM »
I should have know. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2643 on: November 28, 2021, 06:40:13 PM »
Omicron is in Canada. That didn't take long.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/two-cases-omicron-variant-detected-canada-govt-says-2021-11-28/

Well guaranteed it's in the states then. Gear up for another round of restrictions and even more intensified resistance.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2644 on: November 28, 2021, 07:06:50 PM »
Mrs Dude and I got our boosters the day before TG.   Step son is getting his next week. 

It's weird.  I feel pretty safe going out these days, but I'm still extra careful. (hand washing, sanitize after touching things or going anywhere, wear a mask when in public...etc...etc)  But to tell you the truth, big crowds are still not something I'm 100% comfortable with.   And it's not *entirely* because of COVID.   As I enter my 50s, big huge gatherings of hundreds (or thousands) of people was starting to be a huge pain in the butt even before the plague hit.   Now it just seems like that one final straw that kinda pushed me over the line of "nah, not worth it"

Still want to see DT in Feb in the northwest...but as someone in that thread hinted, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it gets cancelled again if omicron cases spike. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:15:46 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2645 on: November 28, 2021, 07:13:39 PM »
I just realized that my son is due for his booster. Just turned 18 in Sept and he just passed 6 month's since his 2nd shot. Going to be getting him in within the next week.

CDC cleared anyone 18 and over for a booster as of 11/19 so no need to worry about qualifications.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2646 on: November 28, 2021, 07:15:42 PM »
As I enter my 50s, big huge gatherings of hundreds (or thousands) of people was starting to be a huge pain in the butt even before the plague hit.

It's not so much being there, as it is getting there. Boston is pretty easy to get in and out of, but if I lived outside of Chicago, I'd dread going into the city to see a show. The TACs visited there in 2010 and traffic was a nightmare.

I live like 2 or 3 towns over from Foxboro, and I mentioned to my wife that the Patriots were home. Said replied that it must be crazy near there. And it is. Even if I had free tickets, I'm not sure it'd be worth the hassle.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2647 on: November 28, 2021, 07:19:31 PM »
Shopping game day is terrible. Going to the game is OK if you know to get there early, park close and hit RT 1 early.

Boston at night is better than going to work in Boston early. I don't envy anyone who does that.

The new variant doesn't sound that strong. I just wonder if it's easily spreadable. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2648 on: November 28, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »

The new variant doesn't sound that strong. I just wonder if it's easily spreadable.

A lot of unknowns at the moment. But given how rapid cases increase in SA (250% over 2 weeks, it seems it’s a more rapid spreader.

Now, how much does it make people sick\hospitalized\fatal is the TBD part. I think the fear is because there are 30+ mutations in the spike proteins ... which is how the vaccines attack the virus.

Time will tell.  In the meantime, better safe than sorry - I’m glad governments are reacting swiftly with travel restrictions.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2649 on: November 29, 2021, 04:53:05 AM »
A milder variant that is more contagious may have a positive effect overall, if it overtakes Delta and leads to immunity against harsher variants. Delta has turned out to be quite disastrous here, we are once again in lockdowns.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2650 on: November 29, 2021, 04:57:09 AM »

A lot of unknowns at the moment. But given how rapid cases increase in SA (250% over 2 weeks, it seems it’s a more rapid spreader.

Now, how much does it make people sick\hospitalized\fatal is the TBD part. I think the fear is because there are 30+ mutations in the spike proteins ... which is how the vaccines attack the virus.

Time will tell.  In the meantime, better safe than sorry - I’m glad governments are reacting swiftly with travel restrictions.

We're going to get to a point, though, where every variant/spike can't lead to a lock-down.  Virus "theory" is such that viruses will mutate so that they survive.   More contagious with milder symptoms is optimal, since it spreads faster - leading to more "virus" - but doesn't kill the hosts.    At some point, the once-mocked "it's not the flu!" will likely be more accurate than not, in which case we have to adapt and move on from the Draconian restrictions.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2651 on: November 29, 2021, 07:24:12 AM »

We're going to get to a point, though, where every variant/spike can't lead to a lock-down.  Virus "theory" is such that viruses will mutate so that they survive.   More contagious with milder symptoms is optimal, since it spreads faster - leading to more "virus" - but doesn't kill the hosts.    At some point, the once-mocked "it's not the flu!" will likely be more accurate than not, in which case we have to adapt and move on from the Draconian restrictions.

My only point on the travel restrictions is that it's not known if this is more dangerous than Delta (towards health or mortality).  Clearly there have been more than a few variants of interest (I don't know how many Greek letters there are between Delta and Omicron), that have not been able to supplant Delta.

Otherwise, I have no quarrel with any of that.  Makes perfect, logical sense. "Faster" but "weaker" virus is ok by me  :tup.  "Faster" and "stronger" ...  :tdwn.

So, as the old saying goes... "hope for the best, but plan for the worst".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2652 on: November 29, 2021, 07:46:28 AM »
The early cases from South Africa seemed to suggest a "mild" illness with the new variant, but that's a small sample size and too early to say that safely.  Hopefully it is the case and as pointed out, that's more in line with "virus theory" as I'll call it.  I've been putting off getting the booster for some time, I really think I should probably get that done this week as my Euro trip for work is still a go for next week.  Just don't want a positive test to come up and I'm stuck in Europe and missing Christmas home.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2653 on: November 29, 2021, 11:51:52 AM »
SA has a very young population, and we shall see how this variant works on the much older Euro/NA population in three weeks to a month. Too early to tell.

Today in "how come the virus is creating so much trouble now when EVERYONE is vaccinated", I learned just this weekend about three separate people in separate circumstances (ages 16 to 28) who I thought would have been vaccinated by now, who still hadn't received a single dose. One of these people received their first dose a few hours ago, the rest are probably forever-stragglers, if they hadn't gotten it by now to make work and travel 100000% easier, they will never get it.

So, you know.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2654 on: November 29, 2021, 06:57:20 PM »
All right, got my booster appointment set on Wednesday.  It should be fine.  Get the shot on Wednesday afternoon.  Feel a bit woozy on Thursday, but I should be 100% fine on Saturday for Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  Given the recent scare, I might as well get this out of the way and be just over two weeks of getting the booster before leaving for San Francisco on 12/17.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2655 on: November 29, 2021, 07:08:05 PM »
My eurotrip is up in the air now, work may revoke the approval due to travel restrictions and just general safety.

A milder variant that is more contagious may have a positive effect overall, if it overtakes Delta and leads to immunity against harsher variants. Delta has turned out to be quite disastrous here, we are once again in lockdowns.

Can you explain your lockdowns, since I am currently flying into Amsterdam in 1 week. My coworker got back last week and mentioned restaurants closing at 7-8pm and just general masking, but it seems things have changed in the last two weeks. Also, interesting how you need a positive test to fly into the US (even with vaccination) but not into the EU, just vaccination. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2656 on: November 30, 2021, 04:39:04 AM »

Regardless of death rates and the amount of people hospitalised, I still think it is not a good thing to compare it to the flu. The flu is respiratory, covid not "just" that. It does who knows what to the brain, blood vessels, heart and other organs. The (long term) damage covid can do is only slowly being unraveled. And these effects aren't necessarily linked to how significant the respiratory symptoms are/were (the "asymptomatic" cases).

As an example, this week one of our major medical research hospitals reported 13 local cases of stillbirth as a result of covid in non-vaccinated people (since July). It seems to be rare in overall numbers, but enough for a local spike in just Rotterdam and surroundings in one hospital. And this is just an example of one of the many organs covid can damage (in this case the placenta being inflamed/scarred).

(Dutch source: https://nos.nl/artikel/2407489-doodgeboortes-bij-niet-gevaccineerde-vrouwen-na-ontsteking-door-corona)

My eurotrip is up in the air now, work may revoke the approval due to travel restrictions and just general safety.

Can you explain your lockdowns, since I am currently flying into Amsterdam in 1 week. My coworker got back last week and mentioned restaurants closing at 7-8pm and just general masking, but it seems things have changed in the last two weeks. Also, interesting how you need a positive test to fly into the US (even with vaccination) but not into the EU, just vaccination.

In short, just about everything is closed past 17:00 pm (restaurants, bars, entertainment etc.), except for essential stores and services (supermarkets close at 20:00 pm, for example). And in general there are the mask and social distancing rules.

And I assume you mean a negative test  :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2657 on: November 30, 2021, 08:57:01 AM »
 :lol yes meant negative, thanks for the info.  Hoping I know by tomorrow if this trip is on or off.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2658 on: November 30, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »
I was super reluctant to visit family back home (Ireland) in September there, but I'm glad now that I was talked into it. Christ knows when I'll get back there, or any of them over here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2659 on: November 30, 2021, 04:06:09 PM »
I was super reluctant to visit family back home (Ireland) in September there, but I'm glad now that I was talked into it. Christ knows when I'll get back there, or any of them over here.

Ireland is awesome!!!