Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195536 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #2380 on: October 02, 2021, 04:17:50 PM »
I had a very mild fever and aches with both shots and a bit of lethargy with my 2nd shot (recalling I had @# + Pfizer). Overall, pretty mild

Jingle.mom claims to have had virtually no reaction on both (Pfizer)

Jingle.kids were virtually nothing with 1st shot (Pfizer), but we’re both laid out the entire day after shot #2 (Moderna).

I don’t think I validate your hypothesis.

Heh - I toss you out of my study because your kids got both Pfizer AND Moderna?  Wow.  That skews everything right there.   :P :laugh:

And let's hope Jingle isn't genetically related to Jingle.mom.......

Well, *I’m* the “jingle” in all my family references, so, I am genetically related to jingle.mom. I’m married to Mrs.jingle.   ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2381 on: October 02, 2021, 06:39:44 PM »
I also realize that many people assume they had Covid early on in the pandemic and never had any way to verify that.  I just saw a relative yesterday who told me she had Covid in March of 2020 and I was thinking - how do you know that?  Yes, you may have been quite ill, but they couldn't have possibly tested you at that time so it could've been the flu.  Regardless, she got fully vaccinated and will get the booster too.  But there are lots of people in this boat.

We were talking about this last night, as a matter of fact.   I don't, but there are those in my family that believe I had it in February.  I get a lot of colds, but rarely get really sick; in February I was down for almost four days in a way that was very similar to my reaction to the first shot.  The person I was talking to had heard that if you have a stronger reaction to the first dose it may be an indicator you had it before (I don't know if that's true and I'm not putting it out there as fact, only to explain why my family thinks like they do).   I know someone here suspects they had it in.... I think it was January.    Who knows?

Who knows is right!  I don't think you will ever know for sure especially now that you've been vaccinated.  I might be wrong, but I don't think the antibody testing is sensitive enough to tease that out.  In fact, I've heard antibody testing isn't all that reliable at all.

As for reactions to the vaccine, I've read and listened to may physicians talk about this subject.  I don't think you having a reaction means you for sure had been exposed previously.  It would make sense to me that you'd think that but I don't believe it pans out in the literature.  I honestly believe there may be some genetic component to it.  It is just my hypothesis but if you had a bad reaction, ask your genetically linked family members and see if they did too.

I had a very mild reaction and nobody I know of in my genetic line had much of a reaction either, FWIW.  I'd love to hear from others here whether or not they reacted differently than their relatives to the vaccine.  Test my hypothesis for me.   ;)

No, I don't think I buy the "you had it you get a worse reaction"; that was actually my daughter-in-law.  Though her husband, my step son, offered that he heard it had something to do with blood type (he's military; he hears some interesting things through the military, many are true, some... not so much). I haven't actually researched either, to be honest.

I very much buy the genetic hypothesis though.   My parents had almost no reaction to either shot, nor did my daughter.  I had almost none to the second.  I'm the only one in the "sample size" to really have any reaction, and mine wasn't THAT bad, it was just "flu" body aches and chills for about eight hours and honestly I slept for most of it.

You know, we also can't underestimate the placebo effect.  If we are told to expect fatigue, muscle aches, headache then the chances we actually have those responses are more likely because of how suggestible we humans can be.

Also, it is more than likely that people have a modicum of stress/anxiety ABOUT the vaccine and thus post jab, having some extra fatigue and laying low for a day is probably also accounted for by the parasympathetic response our bodies go through.  And yes, yes, I know our bodies are doing their immunity building thing too.  And that goes along with symptoms.  But I think it definitely could be both together.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2382 on: October 03, 2021, 06:59:06 AM »
I had a very mild fever and aches with both shots and a bit of lethargy with my 2nd shot (recalling I had @# + Pfizer). Overall, pretty mild

Jingle.kids were virtually nothing with 1st shot (Pfizer), but we’re both laid out the entire day after shot #2 (Moderna).

Heh - I toss you out of my study because your kids got both Pfizer AND Moderna?  Wow.  That skews everything right there.   :P :laugh:

Well, *I’m* the “jingle” in all my family references, so, I am genetically related to jingle.mom. I’m married to Mrs.jingle.   ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA, I was driving to pick up pizza last night and in the car I had a George Costanza moment of panic:  "Maybe Jingle.mom is his MOM, and you're going to offend him!"   I was actually going to text you except I was driving, then just got wrapped up in family when I got home and forgot about it. 

I'm sorry; it was meant to be a joke about Mrs.Jingle, nothing more.   :) :) :)

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2383 on: October 03, 2021, 07:33:05 AM »
I also realize that many people assume they had Covid early on in the pandemic and never had any way to verify that.  I just saw a relative yesterday who told me she had Covid in March of 2020 and I was thinking - how do you know that?  Yes, you may have been quite ill, but they couldn't have possibly tested you at that time so it could've been the flu.  Regardless, she got fully vaccinated and will get the booster too.  But there are lots of people in this boat.

We were talking about this last night, as a matter of fact.   I don't, but there are those in my family that believe I had it in February.  I get a lot of colds, but rarely get really sick; in February I was down for almost four days in a way that was very similar to my reaction to the first shot.  The person I was talking to had heard that if you have a stronger reaction to the first dose it may be an indicator you had it before (I don't know if that's true and I'm not putting it out there as fact, only to explain why my family thinks like they do).   I know someone here suspects they had it in.... I think it was January.    Who knows?

Who knows is right!  I don't think you will ever know for sure especially now that you've been vaccinated.  I might be wrong, but I don't think the antibody testing is sensitive enough to tease that out.  In fact, I've heard antibody testing isn't all that reliable at all.

As for reactions to the vaccine, I've read and listened to may physicians talk about this subject.  I don't think you having a reaction means you for sure had been exposed previously.  It would make sense to me that you'd think that but I don't believe it pans out in the literature.  I honestly believe there may be some genetic component to it.  It is just my hypothesis but if you had a bad reaction, ask your genetically linked family members and see if they did too.

I had a very mild reaction and nobody I know of in my genetic line had much of a reaction either, FWIW.  I'd love to hear from others here whether or not they reacted differently than their relatives to the vaccine.  Test my hypothesis for me.   ;)

I've written in this thread before that I believe my wife and I had it in August 2019 and I know at least a half dozen people who had it in Sept. Oct. Nov. of 2019. I understand there is no way to really know but I do know that I felt REALLY horrible and had all of the symptoms except respiratory and after my second Moderna shot, I had those exact same symptoms. for a half day.

I do wish we would track these stories at the State level even with the understanding that there is no way to prove it was COVID. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: October 03, 2021, 08:14:49 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA, I was driving to pick up pizza last night and in the car I had a George Costanza moment of panic:  "Maybe Jingle.mom is his MOM, and you're going to offend him!"   I was actually going to text you except I was driving, then just got wrapped up in family when I got home and forgot about it. 

I'm sorry; it was meant to be a joke about Mrs.Jingle, nothing more.   :) :) :)

I got ya - no harm, no foul.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: October 03, 2021, 08:18:05 AM »
I've written in this thread before that I believe my wife and I had it in August 2019 and I know at least a half dozen people who had it in Sept. Oct. Nov. of 2019. I understand there is no way to really know but I do know that I felt REALLY horrible and had all of the symptoms except respiratory and after my second Moderna shot, I had those exact same symptoms. for a half day.

I do wish we would track these stories at the State level even with the understanding that there is no way to prove it was COVID.

I'm not contradicting you, but I just can't wrap my head around this.  How could it have been 'out' in August, and not spread the way that it did in Wuhan.  I mean, the trajectory curve of the spread is just something that didn't happen anywhere.  I can't fathom people having COVID in the summer/fall of 2019 (and it not being a 'thing'), but the pandemic starting in Wuhan and escalating the way it did.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2386 on: October 03, 2021, 09:12:30 AM »

I'm not contradicting you, but I just can't wrap my head around this.  How could it have been 'out' in August, and not spread the way that it did in Wuhan.  I mean, the trajectory curve of the spread is just something that didn't happen anywhere.  I can't fathom people having COVID in the summer/fall of 2019 (and it not being a 'thing'), but the pandemic starting in Wuhan and escalating the way it did.

Well, let me tell you my thought process:

I work with with developers at the Dept. of Health who support the infectious diseases databases and their ears perked up around mid-Nov when we started getting reports in the news of a possible new virus in China. At the time, I had 2 thoughts, it's the holiday season and football season plus we have a global economy (air travel).

We all know what happened after tests became readily available. Cases skyrocketed but not necessarily because the virus was spreading out of control but also because the virus HAD already spun out of control.

As the pandemic evolved and more became known about the symptoms it got me to thinking about my own experience in August. We didn't go to the doctor but I know of several people who did and they tested negative for the flu but they/we had something. How come it didn't escalate back earlier in the summer? Maybe it did but people didn't know what was going on and we were not in cold/flu season yet (drier air and indoor activities.

We all know that China tried to cover this up but one question is how long had they tried to cover it up.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2387 on: October 04, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
I felt like I may have had covid in February 2020.  I had gone to 9 concerts in and around NYC before the shutdown and I had a super nasty cold like illness for 2 straight weeks followed by a solid month of extreme fatigue.  And my coworker who shares an office with me got super sick shortly after I did, he got sick even worse with bad flu like symptoms for almost a full month. Regardless, I got vaxxed.  I'll never know if I had covid so got to play it safe.  If I did get covid, and got vaxxed, then my protection is likely pretty strong.  Maybe that explains how I could have gone to 21 concerts the last three months and not have gotten sick.  Or maybe my immune system is fairly strong.  Who knows really.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: October 04, 2021, 02:46:23 PM »
^
There were a few on this board (myself included) who talked about perhaps having 'Covid 18'.  Very similar symptoms to what you described.  December 18th 2019 until around January 10th.  Slept 15-20 hours a day, occasional sweats, very light chills, and severe chest congestion (but no coughing or sneezing).  I never did lose my appetite or sense of taste or smell.  Never had anything like it in all my years.  And, thanks to masks, not even a sniffle or cough since :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2389 on: October 04, 2021, 02:50:29 PM »
^
There were a few on this board (myself included) who talked about perhaps having 'Covid 18'.  Very similar symptoms to what you described.  December 18th 2019 until around January 10th.  Slept 15-20 hours a day, occasional sweats, very light chills, and severe chest congestion (but no coughing or sneezing).  I never did lose my appetite or sense of taste or smell.  Never had anything like it in all my years.  And, thanks to masks, not even a sniffle or cough since :tup

Yeah, thanks to seasonal allergies, I was not able to escape sniffles and coughs, even with maskage. Only difference is now with being triple vaxxed, I don't have to panic for my life everytime the allergies kick in (which is a lot)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2390 on: October 06, 2021, 01:10:00 AM »
Everyone who hasn't gotten sick during one of the waves is so lucky. When I had my first bout of fever + dry cough in the spring, I had WHERE'S THE LIGHTS! TURN EM ON AGAIN! ONE MORE NIGHT! TO BELIEVE AND THEN! ANOTHER NOOOOTE FOR MY REQUIEM!! looping in my head until the negative test came back :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2391 on: October 06, 2021, 02:37:40 PM »
Just had a very sobering encounter...

Our building engineer came in for his meal, and asked me if I had any personal experience with covid, I said though I knew a few that got sick, I didn't know anyone who took it further. He goes on to say his grandma passed over the weekend from it. She started feeling sick about a week and a half ago, and on Wed he took her to the ER for difficult breathing, not knowing that was going to be the last time he'd speak to her. they did a test for covid, and took her to the ICU. She went down quickly, and within a day they moved her to a normal bed for comfort care. She died two days later. She was 90.

The sobering part? She wasn't vaxxed. Against his and her doctor's wishes, the rest of the family decided she was too old for the shot, and were wary of it doing more harm than good, even though the doctor pleaded with them otherwise. He's so angry with his family, that this didn't have to happen even though she led a full and good life.

When he said this didn't have to happen, it cut me deep.

This didn't have to happen. These people don't have to die. It's all so frustrating.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2392 on: October 06, 2021, 03:28:49 PM »
Just had a very sobering encounter...

Our building engineer came in for his meal, and asked me if I had any personal experience with covid, I said though I knew a few that got sick, I didn't know anyone who took it further. He goes on to say his grandma passed over the weekend from it. She started feeling sick about a week and a half ago, and on Wed he took her to the ER for difficult breathing, not knowing that was going to be the last time he'd speak to her. they did a test for covid, and took her to the ICU. She went down quickly, and within a day they moved her to a normal bed for comfort care. She died two days later. She was 90.

The sobering part? She wasn't vaxxed. Against his and her doctor's wishes, the rest of the family decided she was too old for the shot, and were wary of it doing more harm than good, even though the doctor pleaded with them otherwise. He's so angry with his family, that this didn't have to happen even though she led a full and good life.

When he said this didn't have to happen, it cut me deep.

This didn't have to happen. These people don't have to die. It's all so frustrating.

Who's decision is it up to...The Elderly Loved one who's lived a long life and is deserving of rest. Or the family who is preventing the loved one from this choice.

This is personal and honestly, I wouldn't even be blaming grandma at all. She's old, she's lived this life. If this is how she wanted to go by knowing the risks, then who is to deny her that?

Is it better to force someone to keep on living against their will when they have lived a long life?

She's old too, and old people are fragile that any sickness could do them in. My grandma fell, and then got Pneumonia, the doctors said she was doing better, yet she went that same night.

I have condolences with regards to losing a loved one.

The discussion at hand though is on how people do not perceive death the same. It's why I view Covid as very, very personal. Because everyone's reason to live is different based on their perceptions of reality.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2393 on: October 06, 2021, 03:56:21 PM »
Ben, you need to re read what RJ said about who chose not to get her the vaccine.   That is neglect. You can make that decision for yourself but for your elderly mother, who's doctor suggested to get the vaccine and especially that we know it affects the elderly harder.

The family was neglectful for not allowing their mother to get vaxed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2394 on: October 06, 2021, 04:00:45 PM »
Yeah, no offense Ben but fuck all that. Each and every one of my friends' parents is on some "I have lived past 60, therefore I am impervious to danger, and if I die tomorrow, so what, it only goes down from here so might as well die whenever"-shit and it drives me nuts. They were already avoiding going to the doctor, now with this Covid thing they're refusing to take care and get vaccinated. That's crap. Dying even one day too soon is crap on your family. No one who knows anything about the fragility of health, life and death will say gambling with fate past a certain age is acceptable, yet I've had to tell this to people who are twice my age and should know better  ::) Going a step further and making that decision for someone else based on misinformation and badly judged risks is double sucky.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2395 on: October 06, 2021, 04:02:48 PM »
Yeah, no offense Ben but fuck all that.

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2396 on: October 06, 2021, 04:34:56 PM »
Ben... I saw your response before my commute, and I've been stewing over it for the time since. Pretty much all my initial responses would've gotten me banned, I was that upset at your casual and flippant attitude towards this. Personally I thought it was just a fucked response from you.

First, she was still in excellent health, lived on her own, did her own shopping, etc. She was loved. And she didn't want to die. She was given bad advice, of which there is plenty,and that led directly to her death.

Im not sure what to make of your response, I'm drawn to the scene from Good Will Hunting where Robin Williams character talks to Damon's character about his life. How his intellectual nature, and his lack of actual life experience, don't give him every right to tear into someone else so casually. Your response echoed a lot of this. You talk about spirituality a lot here, yet I'm not sure you have a good grasp of what it means to be spirituality connected to others, especially if your able to give such a detached and cold response to what for me was a very emotional situation.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: October 06, 2021, 05:17:25 PM »
Im not sure what to make of your response, I'm drawn to the scene from Good Will Hunting where Robin Williams character talks to Damon's character about his life. How his intellectual nature, and his lack of actual life experience, don't give him every right to tear into someone else so casually. Your response echoed a lot of this. You talk about spirituality a lot here, yet I'm not sure you have a good grasp of what it means to be spirituality connected to others, especially if your able to give such a detached and cold response to what for me was a very emotional situation.

Top 5 movie soliloquy of all time.  Maybe Top 2 for me (I'm always partial to Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction).

Once again, I'm reminded why I skip by some users posts.  I think RJ summed it up terrifically... the amount of callousness in that post above is staggering - frankly, in a lot of posts... especially from someone who tries to present their views as so "woke'.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2398 on: October 06, 2021, 05:19:12 PM »
I have seen Good Will Hunting, but I honestly don't remember any of it. I find Robin Williams terribly hard to follow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2399 on: October 06, 2021, 05:24:44 PM »
I have seen Good Will Hunting, but I honestly don't remember any of it. I find Robin Williams terribly hard to follow.

Here's the scene... https://youtu.be/6vXbUPnWA1U

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: October 06, 2021, 05:28:02 PM »

Tim, are you sure your family isn't dopping you every night?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: October 06, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »
Goddamn I wanna watch that whole movie now.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2402 on: October 06, 2021, 05:30:10 PM »

:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: October 06, 2021, 05:33:28 PM »
Like Seinfeld's girlfriend so they could play with her vintage toys.

Tim still won't get this.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2404 on: October 06, 2021, 05:36:27 PM »
Ben, you need to re read what RJ said about who chose not to get her the vaccine.   That is neglect. You can make that decision for yourself but for your elderly mother, who's doctor suggested to get the vaccine and especially that we know it affects the elderly harder.

The family was neglectful for not allowing their mother to get vaxed.

First, she was still in excellent health, lived on her own, did her own shopping, etc. She was loved. And she didn't want to die. She was given bad advice, of which there is plenty,and that led directly to her death.

I understand how it came across as an ill intent. But it is not.

I re-read it, and I understand what is meant here in the bolded.

I thought this is the reason for why there is a Power of Attorney, for when a person becomes unable to make medical decisions for themselves.  And for when there are signs of neglect of an elderly person unable to care for themselves.

My main and only point of discussion is about the topic of death and only in how people perceive the topic of death differently. It's a topic that should be discussed with loved ones, for those "just in case" times because life is not planned and accidents can happen. Bad advice can be given and lead to death. Someone could ask, "How do I get to this place on the map?" and you reply, "You take this trail, then head down this cliff and then around the lake into the valley." They follow the advice and fall off the cliff, was it bad advice? Another person could very well tell the same person, "Just go around the cliff, it's a little longer, but it's not that dangerous as that trail is quite steep and slippery." That person did not have to die because they got bad advice from a stranger, and it depends on just asking the right person.

This is only in response to the general statement of "These people didn't have to die".

I can still feel sympathy for people who do die, and still want to have a discussion about a topic. Even if that topic is pretty heart-felt and can become a sort of taboo topic for some. If I offend anyone, I apologize. But, I have seen and experienced death with a lot of loved ones and people within my tribal community, various reasons for death. So my perception of death is not the same as most and it's something I am interested in. Especially in these times where a vast amount of people perish, for whatever reason that may be. Mainly in the thought of how people will react to that moment, like if a volcano were to erupt and bury an entire city in lava. How would one be prepared to handle such a situation?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: October 06, 2021, 05:39:52 PM »
Maybe your response should be "I'm sorry RJ."

Then broach the subject down the road Ben. Some posts are not about a discussion.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: October 06, 2021, 06:09:29 PM »
A couple that have been best friends of my wife for over 30 years (I've been with her 21) are vaxxed, and finally able to travel 'safely'.  After having many events postponed/cancelled over the past two years, they travelled to watch the Ravens play in Detroit and then on to Denver for the game against the Broncos.  They got the thrill of witnessing Justin Tucker's record setting FG.  They did some site seeing in Michigan before and after the game, and arrived in Denver last Thursday.

They were admitted into a hospital there with Covid on Saturday.  The husband is to be released tomorrow (?), the wife not until Saturday or later.  Both on oxygen, and they'll have to do so for weeks after release.  They have nearby (same time zone) family that will assist in all the sundry tasks to take care of (hotel, rental car, etc).

They might have contacted it at the airport or on the plane.  It sounds as if they had it when they went to the Lions-Ravens indoor game.  (please keep that in mind regarding any event).

At least they are alive, and though recovery will take time, they have a future. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2407 on: October 06, 2021, 06:13:04 PM »
A couple that have been best friends of my wife for over 30 years (I've been with her 21) are vaxxed, and finally able to travel 'safely'.  After having many events postponed/cancelled over the past two years, they travelled to watch the Ravens play in Detroit and then on to Denver for the game against the Broncos.  They got the thrill of witnessing Justin Tucker's record setting FG.  They did some site seeing in Michigan before and after the game, and arrived in Denver last Thursday.

They were admitted into a hospital there with Covid on Saturday.  The husband is to be released tomorrow (?), the wife not until Saturday or later.  Both on oxygen, and they'll have to do so for weeks after release.  They have nearby (same time zone) family that will assist in all the sundry tasks to take care of (hotel, rental car, etc).

They might have contacted it at the airport or on the plane.  It sounds as if they had it when they went to the Lions-Ravens indoor game.  (please keep that in mind regarding any event).

At least they are alive, and though recovery will take time, they have a future.

Scary man... As much as I itch to get back to a show, stories like this keep me from pulling the trigger. Hope they recover well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2408 on: October 06, 2021, 06:16:12 PM »

WTF is is that? Pretty sure I've never been dopped! :lol

Like Seinfeld's girlfriend so they could play with her vintage toys.

Tim still won't get this.

Nope. Not a clue. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2409 on: October 06, 2021, 06:21:20 PM »

Scary man... As much as I itch to get back to a show, stories like this keep me from pulling the trigger. Hope they recover well.

Yeah this. I've not been a nervous nellie throughout all of this, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the DT show that was scheduled this November. My son was going with me, and I would've never forgiven myself if anything happened to him.

Damn, Joe, everytime you post in this thread, you have bad news about someone you know. I'm very sorry to hear that.

Tell you what...until this is over, let's pretend we don't know each other.. :lol
I'm joking obviously.

The brother in law of a woman my wife works with just passed away at the ripe old age of 57. He and his wife were anti vaxxers.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 06:35:58 PM by TAC »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: October 06, 2021, 06:33:21 PM »
Tim.  Doped. Lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2411 on: October 07, 2021, 07:08:05 AM »
Maybe your response should be "I'm sorry RJ."

Then broach the subject down the road Ben. Some posts are not about a discussion.
Well, this exactly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2412 on: October 07, 2021, 07:09:24 AM »

This happened in my wife's family.  Her dad is 70 and has Crohn's.  His body is so wrecked from bouts with that illness.  In addition, a severe allergic reaction to penicillin about 20 years ago damaged his kidneys pretty badly.  If he gets covid, he dies.  Period.

He was so antsy to get the vaccine and my wife fought hard to get him an appointment back in March, when it was just becoming available for high-risk and the elderly. 

His two Republican sisters called him the day before his appointment and told him not to get vaccinated because it's "such a new vaccine and it hasn't been tested enough on elderly patients."   We were absolutely furious, especially because my wife spent DAYS on her phone trying to book him an appointment.  They know his health conditions inside and out, yet they put their political beliefs ahead of their own brother's best interests.  Thankfully, he didn't listen to them.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2413 on: October 07, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »

This happened in my wife's family.  Her dad is 70 and has Crohn's.  His body is so wrecked from bouts with that illness.  In addition, a severe allergic reaction to penicillin about 20 years ago damaged his kidneys pretty badly.  If he gets covid, he dies.  Period.

He was so antsy to get the vaccine and my wife fought hard to get him an appointment back in March, when it was just becoming available for high-risk and the elderly. 

His two Republican sisters called him the day before his appointment and told him not to get vaccinated because it's "such a new vaccine and it hasn't been tested enough on elderly patients."   We were absolutely furious, especially because my wife spent DAYS on her phone trying to book him an appointment.  They know his health conditions inside and out, yet they put their political beliefs ahead of their own brother's best interests.  Thankfully, he didn't listen to them.

I would've told them. It's his body, not yours. It's his health, not yours. It's his decision, not yours. Just as everything else in life that requires consent.

Just as people shouldn't be coercing you into making a health decision for you. So should you also not be coercing others to make a health decision for them.

Is that not a part of owning your own body. Is this the basis for owning a slave, owning a person and making decisions for them because it's in your best interests?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2414 on: October 07, 2021, 09:36:26 AM »
My dad can't pick something from a menu because it's overwhelming now.  So I help him out.  So he's not able to process if he should take the vaccine Ben, we have to help him in that decision.  How do you not understand that with the eldery?