Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195541 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #2345 on: September 29, 2021, 01:27:08 PM »
They are just doing what is needed so that they can have fans in the arenas and complying with the rules given.

You can basically say this for any event.  I don't think my local ballroom wants to check people's vaccine cards for the concert tonight, but it's what's needed so the tours can safely happen and everyone can stay in business as well as comply with local laws.

Yup. They're coerced into doing it. Meaning if there were no consequences that dealt with the business, they would not require mandates. What their concern is for is their profits and losses. And so, the wise choice in being dealt this type of ultimatum is to comply or risk dealing with profit losses, and being charged a fee for not complying. It's not for safety, although that is a great selling point for a businesses now as people would feel safer and visit a place that requires and is enforcing the mandates.

Same thing Obama did with Health Insurance, by punishing the people with their taxes if they didn't comply with the ultimatum of the required mandated health insurance for all plan.

I have noticed a difference in those who do care and those that do not and the customers reactions as well. It's interesting how that fear shows, and the business workers and owners notice it as well. They notice the difference in reaction of the customers, and the interaction of the entire environment of the business itself.

How I noticed what type of business feels what is based on the type of signs they have on their door about the mandate requirements. Some you can see do not care at all based on their wording and phrasing of the mask mandate or the vaccine requirements.

But these are not laws. They're orders that expire once the pandemic is not declared as an emergency. These orders have not went through the legislative process, which is how the Untied States of America operates.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2346 on: September 29, 2021, 01:35:53 PM »
They are just doing what is needed so that they can have fans in the arenas and complying with the rules given.

You can basically say this for any event.  I don't think my local ballroom wants to check people's vaccine cards for the concert tonight, but it's what's needed so the tours can safely happen and everyone can stay in business as well as comply with local laws.

Yup. They're coerced into doing it. Meaning if there were no consequences that dealt with the business, they would not require mandates. What their concern is for is their profits and losses. And so, the wise choice in being dealt this type of ultimatum is to comply or risk dealing with profit losses, and being charged a fee for not complying. It's not for safety, although that is a great selling point for a businesses now as people would feel safer and visit a place that requires and is enforcing the mandates.

I don't know how you get to the bolded. It is 100% about safety even if it may not be completely safe.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2347 on: September 29, 2021, 01:43:43 PM »

Just look at the NBA not mandating vaccines,

They don't really have to. 90% of the league is already vaxxed and the remaining 10% will either have to be or risk losing lots of money due to local covid rules. 2 big name players already risk missing half the season as they are not allowed to play on their home court due to local rules. The NBA has already mandated that unvaccinated players missing games due to local rules will not be paid. The NBA is relying on the $$$$$ incentive forcing the players hand.

EDIT: Also, this:

“A vaccine mandate for NBA players would need an agreement with the Players Association," said Bass. "The NBA has made these proposals, but the players’ union has rejected any vaccination requirement.”

So the NBA is doing everything but mandate. Threaten the money, and they most likely comply.

This is raising up some hell here in SF with Wiggins holding out, since the mandate only applies to the Dubs. Visiting teams don't have to comply since they're considering touring performers.

:zeltar:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2348 on: September 29, 2021, 02:47:18 PM »

I don't know how you get to the bolded. It is 100% about safety even if it may not be completely safe.

I mean the intent of the some businesses is not about safety, and is more about the concern for losses, which would be devastating for some of these businesses. This is in regards to those claiming these businesses are so moral, and deserving of praise for doing what is considered doing the right thing. While shunning those businesses that are not complying as businesses that do not care, somehow holding them to some sort of moral standard, as if a business is required by law to have a HIGH moral standard.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2349 on: September 29, 2021, 03:39:08 PM »
I don't think sports leagues/promoters/owners of buildings that holds massive gatherings for money are putting these mandates because of moral reasons.  It's more of them trying to cover their butts in the event that someone catches COVID during their events.  I think it's them saying, "We are making strides in doing what we can to hold these events so that people don't worry about catching COVID so that our butts don't go out of business one way or another."  It's still a small step of progress.  I guess.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2350 on: September 29, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »
I don't think sports leagues/promoters/owners of buildings that holds massive gatherings for money are putting these mandates because of moral reasons.  It's more of them trying to cover their butts in the event that someone catches COVID during their events.  I think it's them saying, "We are making strides in doing what we can to hold these events so that people don't worry about catching COVID so that our butts don't go out of business one way or another."  It's still a small step of progress.  I guess.

In the case of the San Francisco teams, it's a city mandate they have to follow. It's tied to any indoor venue, the only wiggle room being given to the visiting performers.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: September 29, 2021, 05:28:26 PM »
I feel like instances similar to this is why DT mention different mandates as a reason to postpone their tour.  It's a web of rules to try and follow with all the local mandates.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2352 on: September 30, 2021, 09:13:25 AM »
Just got ma Boostah!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2353 on: September 30, 2021, 09:14:54 AM »
Just got ma Boostah!!!

Welcome to Club 3 :RJ:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2354 on: September 30, 2021, 09:15:55 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2355 on: September 30, 2021, 09:20:12 AM »
 :lol

Also I was waiting for some New Englander to call it a boostah lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2356 on: September 30, 2021, 10:00:51 AM »
I feel like instances similar to this is why DT mention different mandates as a reason to postpone their tour.  It's a web of rules to try and follow with all the local mandates.

We know what happened with Unleash The Archers, and at the show I went to, they mentioned that revenue was lost by all the bands, and especially for Aether Realm whom travelled "So far" to not play a show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: September 30, 2021, 10:18:05 AM »

We know what happened with Unleash The Archers, and at the show I went to, they mentioned that revenue was lost by all the bands, and especially for Aether Realm whom travelled "So far" to not play a show.

That was due to the country (USA) having an issue with the band coming not just from Canada but from being in Belgium shortly before crossing the border from Canada.  None the less, a new rule/regulation that adds to the complexity of figuring out how to successfully tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2358 on: September 30, 2021, 03:13:33 PM »

So I was at the dentist today, and I mentioned that my tooth was wicked tendah. I thought of this post and laughed right in the chair.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: September 30, 2021, 03:36:04 PM »

So I was at the dentist today, and I mentioned that my tooth was wicked tendah. I thought of this post and laughed right in the chair.

You know, I expected to hear mare yankee in Ba Haa Ba... but I only got one "ayah" the whole week.  Did they see me comin and change the accent?
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2360 on: September 30, 2021, 03:41:34 PM »
Hah!

When we used to drive to Disney a lot, up and down the entire east coast, I'd go in some place and literally say one sentence and I'd get..you're from Boston aren't you? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2361 on: September 30, 2021, 04:18:21 PM »
Hah!

When we used to drive to Disney a lot, up and down the entire east coast, I'd go in some place and literally say one sentence and I'd get..you're from Boston aren't you? :lol

My dad grew up in Lynn, moved out here when he was 17. If you get enough scotch in him, the accent comes out thick

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2362 on: September 30, 2021, 04:19:15 PM »
Hah!

My dad grew up in Lynn, moved out here when he was 17. If you get enough scotch in him, the accent comes out thick

Nice! That must be funny. The accent...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2363 on: September 30, 2021, 04:28:49 PM »
I don't have accent at all.   ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2364 on: September 30, 2021, 04:50:12 PM »

Your phone would like a word with you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2365 on: September 30, 2021, 04:52:28 PM »
Whateva. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2366 on: October 01, 2021, 06:38:29 AM »
The Boston accent is pretty much my favorite.  I lived with a guy - full Irish, too - from Acton during college, and it was pretty much every stereotype.

Second is the Scottish accent, third is the old school New York cab driver (think "Jerky Boys").

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: October 01, 2021, 06:39:23 AM »

Wicked smaaht.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2368 on: October 01, 2021, 06:51:23 AM »
The Boston accent is pretty much my favorite.  I lived with a guy - full Irish, too - from Acton during college, and it was pretty much every stereotype.

Second is the Scottish accent, third is the old school New York cab driver (think "Jerky Boys").

It really is awesome. A chef I used to work for was from Southie, and his accent was a fucking work of art. :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2369 on: October 01, 2021, 03:55:41 PM »
I've been sort of struggling with the notion that natural immunity isn't being considered with these new mandates in the states and yet in other countries it is taken into account.  Then I happened on this today and thought it was interesting.

Source, Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding, epidemiologist and health economist, Harvard
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2370 on: October 01, 2021, 05:11:21 PM »
I've been sort of struggling with the notion that natural immunity isn't being considered with these new mandates in the states and yet in other countries it is taken into account.  Then I happened on this today and thought it was interesting.

Source, Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding, epidemiologist and health economist, Harvard

Yeah, I've heard similar numbers elsewhere. It's a trip that we've gotten to a point where we can hack our body to be better than the tools evolution developed.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2371 on: October 02, 2021, 06:15:49 AM »
It makes perfect sense to me that we're not considering natural immunity much. We've known since fall last year that reinfections happen, telling people they are exactly as safe as they would have been vaccinated would lead to deaths and problems.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: October 02, 2021, 07:00:01 AM »
Our CEO has brought a few virologists/infectious disease experts to our company town hall's over the past year.  The last one on explained the "immunity" gained from infection vs vaccination like this - infection (of any virus/disease) builds up anti-bodies which are potent ... but temporary; vaccine trains your immune system (memory B-cells/T-cells) to attack the infection.  Antibodies are like the front line soldiers in a military force.  They're great at what they do, but they don't stick around when there's no battles to fight.  The memory cells are like The Reserves - they're always on hand, ready to jump to action whenever necessary.

Our blood can't keep anti-bodies for every disease/infection/virus it's ever seen... "it would turn to sludge" was the comment this doctor made.

So yeah... it's absolutely 100% natural (and the way our immune system is designed) for anti-bodies to be less effective (or non-existent) over time.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2373 on: October 02, 2021, 09:19:09 AM »
I agree with that description of natural immunity.  However, it stands to reason then that someone who has had Covid disease would definitely benefit from 1 dose of the vaccine and not need the 2nd - or just get the JnJ.  That triggers the T and B cell response that those of us who have not had Covid gets from 2 (or 3) jabs.

I have not seen anything from mandates in the states that address this.  Likely because it would take more time and effort for employers to verify previous disease.  But supposedly they are taking the time to look into religious and medical exemptions so....

I also realize that many people assume they had Covid early on in the pandemic and never had any way to verify that.  I just saw a relative yesterday who told me she had Covid in March of 2020 and I was thinking - how do you know that?  Yes, you may have been quite ill, but they couldn't have possibly tested you at that time so it could've been the flu.  Regardless, she got fully vaccinated and will get the booster too.  But there are lots of people in this boat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2374 on: October 02, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »
I also realize that many people assume they had Covid early on in the pandemic and never had any way to verify that.  I just saw a relative yesterday who told me she had Covid in March of 2020 and I was thinking - how do you know that?  Yes, you may have been quite ill, but they couldn't have possibly tested you at that time so it could've been the flu.  Regardless, she got fully vaccinated and will get the booster too.  But there are lots of people in this boat.

We were talking about this last night, as a matter of fact.   I don't, but there are those in my family that believe I had it in February.  I get a lot of colds, but rarely get really sick; in February I was down for almost four days in a way that was very similar to my reaction to the first shot.  The person I was talking to had heard that if you have a stronger reaction to the first dose it may be an indicator you had it before (I don't know if that's true and I'm not putting it out there as fact, only to explain why my family thinks like they do).   I know someone here suspects they had it in.... I think it was January.    Who knows?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2375 on: October 02, 2021, 03:05:18 PM »

We were talking about this last night, as a matter of fact.   I don't, but there are those in my family that believe I had it in February.  I get a lot of colds, but rarely get really sick; in February I was down for almost four days in a way that was very similar to my reaction to the first shot.  The person I was talking to had heard that if you have a stronger reaction to the first dose it may be an indicator you had it before (I don't know if that's true and I'm not putting it out there as fact, only to explain why my family thinks like they do).   I know someone here suspects they had it in.... I think it was January.    Who knows?

Who knows is right!  I don't think you will ever know for sure especially now that you've been vaccinated.  I might be wrong, but I don't think the antibody testing is sensitive enough to tease that out.  In fact, I've heard antibody testing isn't all that reliable at all.

As for reactions to the vaccine, I've read and listened to may physicians talk about this subject.  I don't think you having a reaction means you for sure had been exposed previously.  It would make sense to me that you'd think that but I don't believe it pans out in the literature.  I honestly believe there may be some genetic component to it.  It is just my hypothesis but if you had a bad reaction, ask your genetically linked family members and see if they did too.

I had a very mild reaction and nobody I know of in my genetic line had much of a reaction either, FWIW.  I'd love to hear from others here whether or not they reacted differently than their relatives to the vaccine.  Test my hypothesis for me.   ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: October 02, 2021, 03:28:19 PM »
I had a very mild fever and aches with both shots and a bit of lethargy with my 2nd shot (recalling I had @# + Pfizer). Overall, pretty mild

Jingle.mom claims to have had virtually no reaction on both (Pfizer)

Jingle.kids were virtually nothing with 1st shot (Pfizer), but we’re both laid out the entire day after shot #2 (Moderna).

I don’t think I validate your hypothesis.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2377 on: October 02, 2021, 03:46:33 PM »
I had a very mild fever and aches with both shots and a bit of lethargy with my 2nd shot (recalling I had @# + Pfizer). Overall, pretty mild

Jingle.kids were virtually nothing with 1st shot (Pfizer), but we’re both laid out the entire day after shot #2 (Moderna).

Heh - I toss you out of my study because your kids got both Pfizer AND Moderna?  Wow.  That skews everything right there.   :P :laugh:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: October 02, 2021, 03:55:10 PM »

Heh - I toss you out of my study because your kids got both Pfizer AND Moderna?  Wow.  That skews everything right there.   :P :laugh:

And let's hope Jingle isn't genetically related to Jingle.mom.......

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: October 02, 2021, 03:58:21 PM »

Who knows is right!  I don't think you will ever know for sure especially now that you've been vaccinated.  I might be wrong, but I don't think the antibody testing is sensitive enough to tease that out.  In fact, I've heard antibody testing isn't all that reliable at all.

As for reactions to the vaccine, I've read and listened to may physicians talk about this subject.  I don't think you having a reaction means you for sure had been exposed previously.  It would make sense to me that you'd think that but I don't believe it pans out in the literature.  I honestly believe there may be some genetic component to it.  It is just my hypothesis but if you had a bad reaction, ask your genetically linked family members and see if they did too.

I had a very mild reaction and nobody I know of in my genetic line had much of a reaction either, FWIW.  I'd love to hear from others here whether or not they reacted differently than their relatives to the vaccine.  Test my hypothesis for me.   ;)

No, I don't think I buy the "you had it you get a worse reaction"; that was actually my daughter-in-law.  Though her husband, my step son, offered that he heard it had something to do with blood type (he's military; he hears some interesting things through the military, many are true, some... not so much). I haven't actually researched either, to be honest.

I very much buy the genetic hypothesis though.   My parents had almost no reaction to either shot, nor did my daughter.  I had almost none to the second.  I'm the only one in the "sample size" to really have any reaction, and mine wasn't THAT bad, it was just "flu" body aches and chills for about eight hours and honestly I slept for most of it.