Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195319 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #2240 on: September 22, 2021, 06:50:22 AM »
But those examples aren't personal beliefs, Chad.  You don't get an ankle bracelet because "you believe age laws are silly".  You get it because you broke a law on the books. ACTION. You're just retconning the "belief" into it; there's a very real chance that guy never put an ounce of thought into rationalizing what he did and merely acted on urges.  Like you or I did when we walked up to our wives the first time and said "Hey, baby!".    You liking a certain music is a visceral physical response to an outside stimulus. 

If you start weighing the merits of someone else's PERSONAL BELIEFS - that is the very definition of "judgement" - that's exactly what Bosk is talking about.

Fair points.  I do think there are limits though - that when beliefs and values are so very opposite, that it doesn't matter how much I like the other personality traits, or their business, or whatever .... something is going to be different.  So goes the saying, ignorance is bliss.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2241 on: September 22, 2021, 06:51:40 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friends Bosk.  Yeah, I don't envy the choices that some people are struggling to make, but they do have to be smart and careful choices, or reasonable at best.  Not only for themselves but for loved ones as well.  We are definitely living in a different reality these days.  I'm still trying to come to grips with a few things myself.

So, so sorry for your loss.

Look, not really the place, but I'm trusting you at your word, and since you wrote that, I feel it's okay to respond.  If it's insensitive, you have my apologies up front, and I'll stand down...

But... they don't "have" to be smart and careful and reasonable.   We make unsmart, careless and unreasonable choices all the time.  Smoking, speeding, jumping out of planes, getting into fistfights...  even some of those "harm" (or have the potential to harm) other people.   My uncle died of COVID, and whether he was "smart" or not, or "deserved" it or not... I have no idea.   He was a man of God, and while I don't share the exact beliefs he did, I have to trust, as a autonomous, competent man, he made the choices he wanted to make.  I would expect nothing less of others when I pass.

Most of the things we talk about in this world - tolerance, acceptance, understanding, respect, courtesy - are REALLY easy when we're sitting in our mom's basement playing keyboard warrior.  They are REALLY easy when dealing with people who have the exact same mindset, belief system and moral compass as we do.  They get REALLY HARD and really quickly when we're dealing with people do DON'T share our mindset, who adhere to a different belief system and who follow a different moral map than we do.   That's really the test for me and I think we - at least in America - are failing miserably.  I think it boils down to a massive insecurity that is crippling our country.  We NEED the validation of others that think like us and we've come to the point that we consider those that don't a threat.  This is "fight or flight" writ large, in my opinion. 

It's dumb luck (or genes) but I've never formed my beliefs in a crucible that contained anyone else. They've always been in my head, and I've rarely shared them (still rarely; you all get to see/hear it, but other than with my therapist and sometimes my wife, I RARELY talk about ANY of this day-to-day. Work is inappropriate for this, and with all I have going on, if I'm out having beers with my friends, I'd rather talk about football or the weather or cars or music or our other friends. I get enough of this shit shoveled down my throat uninvited, I don't want to be "on my guard" during my recreation time).  As a result, I get no validation from others' beliefs, and I'm not threatened by them.  Someone wants to be called "them/theirs", okay.  I'll do my best to remember and to accommodate.  Not because I understand (I don't, really, not deep down), not because I agree (or not) but because it's not my place to judge.  Call yourself Achilles for all I care.  Don't want to mask, okay.  I'll do my best to stay six feet from you and/or outside.  If I can't, I have a decision to make, not you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: September 22, 2021, 06:55:59 AM »
But those examples aren't personal beliefs, Chad.  You don't get an ankle bracelet because "you believe age laws are silly".  You get it because you broke a law on the books. ACTION. You're just retconning the "belief" into it; there's a very real chance that guy never put an ounce of thought into rationalizing what he did and merely acted on urges.  Like you or I did when we walked up to our wives the first time and said "Hey, baby!".    You liking a certain music is a visceral physical response to an outside stimulus. 

If you start weighing the merits of someone else's PERSONAL BELIEFS - that is the very definition of "judgement" - that's exactly what Bosk is talking about.

Fair points.  I do think there are limits though - that when beliefs and values are so very opposite, that it doesn't matter how much I like the other personality traits, or their business, or whatever .... something is going to be different.  So goes the saying, ignorance is bliss.

I suppose; I guess I've never (knowingly) gotten to that limit.  Seriously.  So many things for me are a matter of personal discretion, and I'm so used to separating the two.  Within the bounds of consent, who you sleep with, what you ingest, who/what you worship... not my business (just like it's none of yours - collective - what I do).  Then again, I've never met someone that I KNOW for a fact killed someone in cold blood, or I KNOW for a fact diddled a five year old.  Then again, those are actions, not beliefs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2243 on: September 22, 2021, 07:00:55 AM »
my decision on who I vote for is complicated

Never would have guessed!  :neveruusethis:

Within the bounds of consent, who you sleep with, what you ingest, who/what you worship... not my business (just like it's none of yours - collective - what I do). 

I'm with you on all of that.  I don't have a good example right off the top of my head, I just know there are limits as to what I can/will tolerate when it comes to beliefs and values.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2244 on: September 22, 2021, 07:03:42 AM »

Within the bounds of consent, who you sleep with, what you ingest, who/what you worship... not my business (just like it's none of yours - collective - what I do). 

I'm with you on all of that.  I don't have a good example right off the top of my head, I just know there are limits as to what I can/will tolerate when it comes to beliefs and values.

Chad, I started responding to your earlier post about an example. But then I scratched it.

Like for me, I will not associate with someone that believes it's OK to fuck around on his wife.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2245 on: September 22, 2021, 07:28:01 AM »

Chad, I started responding to your earlier post about an example. But then I scratched it.

Like for me, I will not associate with someone that believes it's OK to fuck around on his wife.

To be clear, I've never fucked around on my wife!  :)

But that's complicated too; I have a friend, a close friend from college, who I suspect has an open marriage.  I don't know this, but I suspect it. If they are both in agreement, does that matter?

I have another friend, a close friend from high school, who not long ago confessed to me that he was one phone call away from ditching his marriage of about 25 years and running off with another woman (who got cold feet).  What am I supposed to do?  "Hey look, friend, we've been through thick and thin, but you're out!"

I remember being one of those that said "Hillary ought to leave that piece of shit and teach him what's what!"   Then I was cheated on in my marriage and stayed for... probably six years or so (and that wasn't the specific reason we ended our marriage).

I don't know; I'm not saying I'm right - I have no idea! - I just know I don't see a lot of hard lines and right angles in nature.  It's never that easy for me.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2246 on: September 22, 2021, 07:28:39 AM »

There are cultures that are okay with polygamy and the women do not have a problem with it. What if you were to run into one of these people who has many wives and mistresses?

Marriage itself and the formation of it is determined by the culture and society. Some marriages are determined by the women more so than the men. Some dish out extreme punishments for breaking the marriage, it may be even be a sign of disrespect and the couple may end up shunned.

This judgement of people's beliefs has led to culture clashes and we know through history what happened because of that culture clash of judgement of beliefs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2247 on: September 22, 2021, 07:35:50 AM »

To be clear, I've never fucked around on my wife!  :)

But that's complicated too; I have a friend, a close friend from college, who I suspect has an open marriage.  I don't know this, but I suspect it. If they are both in agreement, does that matter?

I have another friend, a close friend from high school, who not long ago confessed to me that he was one phone call away from ditching his marriage of about 25 years and running off with another woman (who got cold feet).  What am I supposed to do?  "Hey look, friend, we've been through thick and thin, but you're out!"

I remember being one of those that said "Hillary ought to leave that piece of shit and teach him what's what!"   Then I was cheated on in my marriage and stayed for... probably six years or so (and that wasn't the specific reason we ended our marriage).

I don't know; I'm not saying I'm right - I have no idea! - I just know I don't see a lot of hard lines and right angles in nature.  It's never that easy for me.

OK, well I have no issue with a guy that has an open marriage. That at least is a joint decision. And for the guy that ditches his wife, I can at least respect that. If he was banging some chick on the side, I'd have an issue with it, but if he leaves her outright...I don't have an issue with that.

I also have no problem with a couple trying to salvage a marriage after infidelity.

None of your examples really illustrate what I was saying.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2248 on: September 22, 2021, 07:37:15 AM »

There are cultures that are okay with polygamy and the women do not have a problem with it. What if you were to run into one of these people who has many wives and mistresses?

Marriage itself and the formation of it is determined by the culture and society. Some marriages are determined by the women more so than the men. Some dish out extreme punishments for breaking the marriage, it may be even be a sign of disrespect and the couple may end up shunned.

This judgement of people's beliefs has led to culture clashes and we know through history what happened because of that culture clash of judgement of beliefs.

Ben, I'm obviously not fucking talking about marriage in different cultures. WTF?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2249 on: September 23, 2021, 10:40:00 AM »

It’s been 2 weeks and I’m still pissed off about the whole thing.  One of the things that pisses me off the most, hits pretty close to home.  5 years ago my late GF died of a brain hemorrhage due to a cancerous tumor which was previously undetected by doctors.  She was gone so suddenly and unexpectedly through no fault of her own.  Just gone and didn’t deserve what happened to her.  On the other hand, some people make bad decisions and end up paying for it with their lives.  Oh and get this.  They don’t want to have a memorial service right away because of the pandemic.  Duh!!!  Sorry, but I can remember a great man on my own without a memorial service thank you very much.

I am very sorry about your family...

That's all you really needed to say.  The rest is nothing but a bunch of know-it-all, self righteous windbaggery.   The bolded part is none of your business.  You didn't know her and you don't know me.  You should probably be more concerned about how karma will catch up with you instead of speculating about others.

Sorry to hear about your friends Bosk.  Yeah, I don't envy the choices that some people are struggling to make, but they do have to be smart and careful choices, or reasonable at best.  Not only for themselves but for loved ones as well.  We are definitely living in a different reality these days.  I'm still trying to come to grips with a few things myself.

So, so sorry for your loss.

Look, not really the place, but I'm trusting you at your word, and since you wrote that, I feel it's okay to respond.  If it's insensitive, you have my apologies up front, and I'll stand down...

But... they don't "have" to be smart and careful and reasonable.

Thanks Stads.  Of course people's decisions don't "have" to be smart, careful and reasonable if they don't care about how potential consequences may affect not only themselves but their loved ones as well.  That's totally up to them I suppose.  I appreciate the insight, but I think you pretty much understand the point I was trying to make.  The choices people make can have a profound affect on others around them.  I'm sure everyone could use a little work in that area of being more thoughtful.  Next time you respond, can I have the Cliff Notes version?  I'm not much into reading encyclopedias.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2250 on: September 23, 2021, 10:49:28 AM »
I'm sure everyone could use a little work in that area of being more thoughtful. 

I know I can.  Your reminder is definitely taken to heart. 

Stads...Next time you respond, can I have the Cliff Notes version?  I'm not much into reading encyclopedias.  :lol

Stads gonna Stad.   :hat
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2251 on: September 23, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »
Two San Francisco bay area counties are over 90% with at least one shot, with San Mateo at 94% and Marin county at 97%. That's fucking impressive

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2252 on: September 23, 2021, 11:24:12 AM »
Is that percentage of eligible recipients?  If it is overall percentage, I'm not sure how they get there given that kids can't get it yet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2253 on: September 23, 2021, 11:44:09 AM »
Is that percentage of eligible recipients?  If it is overall percentage, I'm not sure how they get there given that kids can't get it yet.

Yeah, I would assume it's the eligible recipients. They were chatting it up on kgo while I was working so I may have missed that detail.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2254 on: September 23, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
Still a great stat. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2255 on: September 23, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »
Still a great stat.

Just saw an article that had 90% fully vaxxed in Marin.

California as a whole is at 69%.... Nice....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2256 on: September 23, 2021, 12:54:28 PM »
Yeah, definitely impressive.  In Ontario we're just above 86% of eligible recipients with at least one jab; 80% fully vax'd.

Once the 5-11 age group gets approved, that's the next thing that will move the needle - figuratively and literally.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2257 on: September 23, 2021, 07:25:22 PM »
Just got asked to show proof of vaccination for the first time. Know what I did? I showed him with a smile, cause that's what heroes do.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2258 on: September 23, 2021, 07:29:46 PM »
Just got asked to show proof of vaccination for the first time. Know what I did? I showed him with a smile, cause that's what heroes do.

Not all heroes wear capes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2259 on: September 23, 2021, 07:40:09 PM »

It was a picture of your ass with the card.  AMIRITE?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2260 on: September 23, 2021, 10:06:43 PM »

It was a picture of your ass with the card.  AMIRITE?!

Actually, I got my card tattooed on my ass...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2261 on: September 24, 2021, 08:11:09 AM »
Thought I was the only one.  :dunno:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2262 on: September 24, 2021, 08:42:50 AM »
Thought I was the only one.  :dunno:
Ahem...
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JLa

« Reply #2263 on: September 24, 2021, 01:51:44 PM »
Norway will "re-open" tomorrow at 4 PM. No restrictions on anything. It's been 562 days. Woop!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2264 on: September 26, 2021, 04:00:04 PM »
Booster scheduled for tomorrow afternoon...hoping the third one will finally boost my inner magnetism.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2265 on: September 27, 2021, 09:03:59 AM »
Booster scheduled for tomorrow afternoon...hoping the third one will finally boost my inner magnetism.

HAHA!    :tup

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2266 on: September 27, 2021, 06:21:51 PM »
And it's in the arm. Felt like a bigger dose, could actually feel the liquid this time. Then again, last time my nurse angrily stabbed me with the fucking thing so I may not have noticed then lol.

I'll keep y'all posted of any detrimental stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: September 27, 2021, 06:24:07 PM »
Felt the liquid eh?

:eyebrows:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2268 on: September 27, 2021, 06:28:35 PM »
Felt the liquid eh?

You just had to make it weird.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2269 on: September 27, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »
I honestly thought the same when you typed it out like that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2270 on: September 27, 2021, 06:39:06 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2271 on: September 27, 2021, 06:39:27 PM »
 :lol I actually think if anything the booster is less vaccine by 50%.  I read that was Pfizer's plan to keep production of first vaccines and boosters without compromising doses they plan to produce, but not sure if that's the reality right now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: September 27, 2021, 06:44:23 PM »
Felt the liquid eh?

You just had to make it weird.

Weird?  Take it like a man bro.  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2273 on: September 27, 2021, 09:12:50 PM »
 :lol

:lol I actually think if anything the booster is less vaccine by 50%.  I read that was Pfizer's plan to keep production of first vaccines and boosters without compromising doses they plan to produce, but not sure if that's the reality right now.

Just talked with my cousin and his wife real quick, they're both pharmacists, and they confirmed all the doses are the same amount, 0.3ml.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2274 on: September 28, 2021, 06:44:46 AM »
Morning update, still alive, but my arm fucking hurts, like way worse than the first two. Either that's how it is, or I've just become a bigger pussy in the past six months, but I can barely lift it above my shoulder.