Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195240 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #1960 on: September 16, 2021, 01:03:00 PM »
You think people could easily give up these comforts? I feel we got our answer with Covid...

Easily? No. Most people are still apathetic to their world, most know next to nothing about what is going on in their neighborhood.

I love it when one person speaks for most people.

Like when people assume unvaccinated people are anti-vax or republicans or Trump Supporters. They assume that person who is vocal is speaking for all the unvaccinated and that all the unvaccinated think like that vocal person.

Not saying correlation is causation but...

It should be noted for those unfamiliar with CA geography, the low covid areas are where the high population density of the state is, a very, very blue state. These are also the areas where vaccine rates are highest and where mask mandates are followed for the most part. Also...CA is on pace to be the first state to be on the downside of the Delta surge because of our handling of it. I know that means dick to those who think the pandemic is a fallacy and a scam but it is what it is.

But the association with a political vote is at best misleading.  I'm a very blue state as well, and not only are the causations not here, neither is the correlation.  I know, I know, there's that one article out there, and it will persevere for those that need to see that vindication (not saying you, personally).   But that doesn't make it any more right or any more effective in changing minds.
I don't think you can deny the trends, buddy. Of course there's no direct link between antivaxxers and political party, but there's clearly a tremendous amount of overlap.

That chart also tells another story. The covid hotspots are not only outside of the more liberal parts of the state, they're also clear of the most densely populated areas (which also have an indirect relationship to political ideology). Los Angeles County has one third as many cases per capita as Tahema Country, despite having nearly 100x the population density. Not really relevant to the point, aside from another somewhat vague link between party and best practices, but quite interesting, I think. LA is actually doing better than I'd have suspected.

That's kind of what I was getting at, and heavily populated is a vast understatement. Between LA county and the 6 county greater bay area, you're looking at 20 million people. Shit, my county alone has almost 1.7 million. (Alameda, which contains Oakland)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1961 on: September 16, 2021, 01:46:14 PM »
I don't think you can deny the trends, buddy. Of course there's no direct link between antivaxxers and political party, but there's clearly a tremendous amount of overlap.

That chart also tells another story. The covid hotspots are not only outside of the more liberal parts of the state, they're also clear of the most densely populated areas (which also have an indirect relationship to political ideology). Los Angeles County has one third as many cases per capita as Tahema Country, despite having nearly 100x the population density. Not really relevant to the point, aside from another somewhat vague link between party and best practices, but quite interesting, I think. LA is actually doing better than I'd have suspected.

And I'm not denying trends, but you, RJ and I all know that there are a LOT of people that are more than willing to jump from A to C (or, more likely, G or H) and make that direct link because it's easy and it justifies the worldview.  It's been done, here.  So if we're going to pound on Darkshade, rightly or wrongly, for confusing or misleading or outright wrong linkages, it's only fair to point out the depth of the linkages here.   I get what RJ was doing and to be honest I felt a little bad pointing it out, but I'm hoping he's got a thick skin, since it's not personal.  :) :)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1962 on: September 16, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »
Just got home from the ER with my almost 4 year old son.  He woke up at 2am, coughing hard and with labored breathing.  My wife didn't sleep after 2am because she was so worried about his breathing....and today is her birthday too.  He'd had a head cold this week that moved into his chest.  His pediatrician sent us to the ER for a chest x-ray to verify if he had pneumonia. 

I found myself wondering if he had covid during the drive to the hospital, as he was occasionally vomiting and was still struggling to breathe a little.  I was terrified yet incredibly angry too, angry at anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers, thinking that if he had it, my daughter wouldn't be able to go to school for 10 days. 

Thankfully, he tested negative for covid, RSV (brutal cold virus that kids get) and strep.  It's just a bad chest cold, treatable with some steroids and an inhaler.  I'm so relieved it's not covid, but the fact that now as a parent, we have to think about covid all the time when our kids get sick irritates me to no end.  Jackass parents can stand on street corners protesting masks, while we're up sleepless at 2am, hoping to god our sick kid can breathe.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1963 on: September 16, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »
Just got home from the ER with my almost 4 year old son.  He woke up at 2am, coughing hard and with labored breathing.  My wife didn't sleep after 2am because she was so worried about his breathing....and today is her birthday too.  He'd had a head cold this week that moved into his chest.  His pediatrician sent us to the ER for a chest x-ray to verify if he had pneumonia. 

I found myself wondering if he had covid during the drive to the hospital, as he was occasionally vomiting and was still struggling to breathe a little.  I was terrified yet incredibly angry too, angry at anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers, thinking that if he had it, my daughter wouldn't be able to go to school for 10 days. 

Thankfully, he tested negative for covid, RSV (brutal cold virus that kids get) and strep.  It's just a bad chest cold, treatable with some steroids and an inhaler.  I'm so relieved it's not covid, but the fact that now as a parent, we have to think about covid all the time when our kids get sick irritates me to no end.  Jackass parents can stand on street corners protesting masks, while we're up sleepless at 2am, hoping to god our sick kid can breathe.

Some parents also do not jump to those assumptions and start to become emotional to where they affect their overall thought process.

I find it more interesting how people are suddenly assuming the worse and then start thinking about it all and then begin forming emotions that are not even real, as such that you begin to place blame on others for something that you don't even know you have yet.

That to me tells me more about a persons thought process and mindset.

Which is okay to worry and think the worst. But don't be going and placing blame on others before you really do know for sure if it is what you assumed.

That's playing off emotions and coming to a conclusion before even getting the facts straightened out.

The news does this all the time when they have news stories that pull the emotional heartstrings of people to where they form these opinions and come to a conclusion before understanding and knowing all the facts of the news story.

Which is a part of the issue of misinformation being able to be spread and people believing it as factual information, especially when that wording and journalistic writing is really, really convincingly well thought out and portrayed.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1964 on: September 16, 2021, 02:12:35 PM »
Interesting?  Ben, how can a person not think of the worst during a pandemic?  Of course it ran through Grappler's mind. That's being a human. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1965 on: September 16, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »
^^ Oh yeah.  The two indoor shows I've been to in the LA country area (the Forum and Microsoft Theater).  They were pretty adamant that to get in, you need to wear a mask and provide proof of vaccine.  Thankfully, I was able to do both.  If anyone does not want to do that to go to shows, tough luck, I don't care about those guys.
Interesting. I hadn't thought about it til you pointed it out, but the show I saw in San Diego didn't ask for proof (I had a picture on my phone), and while most of us wore masks, a few did not. From my POV SoCal seemed to mostly be on the honor system, but they were far more, eh, honorable about it than what you see here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: September 16, 2021, 02:23:13 PM »
^^ Oh yeah.  The two indoor shows I've been to in the LA country area (the Forum and Microsoft Theater).  They were pretty adamant that to get in, you need to wear a mask and provide proof of vaccine.  Thankfully, I was able to do both.  If anyone does not want to do that to go to shows, tough luck, I don't care about those guys.
Interesting. I hadn't thought about it til you pointed it out, but the show I saw in San Diego didn't ask for proof (I had a picture on my phone), and while most of us wore masks, a few did not. From my POV SoCal seemed to mostly be on the honor system, but they were far more, eh, honorable about it than what you see here.

I haven't worn a mask at a single of the 14 concerts I've gone to so far this summer, 2 of which were smaller indoor venues.  1 was in LA, outdoors, some masks, but mostly no one wearing them.  Proof of vaccine / negative test has been required in a little less than half of those 14 concerts.  No masks nor vaccine/test is required for tonight's Megadeth/LoG concert either.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1967 on: September 16, 2021, 02:23:37 PM »
Ben, unless you have children and watched them struggle to breathe, being completely helpless in the moment, you cannot comprehend the sheer terror of that experience.  Im not even going to read any more of your bullshit post above.

When presented with the possibility that my child is sick with covid, that is exactly where my thoughts go.  If you think that's wrong, you can just ___ off.  Just yesterday in a neighboring suburb was a "medical freedom rally."   Jackass parents in other suburbs are protesting covid mask mandates in schools ON SCHOOL WALKING ROUTES.  Kids walking to school have to thread their way through parents with signs and shouting.  That is not cool.

Yes, he is ok, despite being sick as hell.  But to come down on me so hard is awful and shows me just what kind of person you really are. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1968 on: September 16, 2021, 02:28:45 PM »

I haven't worn a mask at a single of the 14 concerts I've gone to so far this summer, 2 of which were smaller indoor venues.  1 was in LA, outdoors, some masks, but mostly no one wearing them.  Proof of vaccine / negative test has been required in a little less than half of those 14 concerts. No masks nor vaccine/test is required for tonight's Megadeth/LoG concert either.
Why does that not surprise me.  :lol

Of the three shows I've seen, one was a free-for-all, one was "wear a mask or GTFO" (same band, different city, actually), and one was 50 of us in the back room of a House of Blues, all in pretty close quarters. I'm actually seriously reconsidering catching Gojira on this tour just because I think it's going to be a little riskier than I'm up for. I like them and all, but not enough to be packed in with a thousand of their fans.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1969 on: September 16, 2021, 02:40:32 PM »

It's hard to say really.  In the LA area, masks for indoors is a must.  Don't know if masks are required for venues like Hollywood Bowl and Greek Theater.  At FivePoint Amphitheater in the OC, they are going by the honor system the last time I went there a few weeks back.  Don't know if their policy will change in October, but I will be prepared anyway.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: September 16, 2021, 02:43:31 PM »
I'm actually seriously reconsidering catching Gojira on this tour just because I think it's going to be a little riskier than I'm up for. I like them and all, but not enough to be packed in with a thousand of their fans.

Is proof of vaccine / test required?  I'm pretty sure once October hits, it's mandatory for all venues in this area.  My local ballroom will become vaccine only as well.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1971 on: September 16, 2021, 02:49:05 PM »
Ben, unless you have children and watched them struggle to breathe, being completely helpless in the moment, you cannot comprehend the sheer terror of that experience.  Im not even going to read any more of your bullshit post above.

When presented with the possibility that my child is sick with covid, that is exactly where my thoughts go.  If you think that's wrong, you can just ___ off.  Just yesterday in a neighboring suburb was a "medical freedom rally."   Jackass parents in other suburbs are protesting covid mask mandates in schools ON SCHOOL WALKING ROUTES.  Kids walking to school have to thread their way through parents with signs and shouting.  That is not cool.

Yes, he is ok, despite being sick as hell.  But to come down on me so hard is awful and shows me just what kind of person you really are.

I was going to back you up but you beat me to it. We parents just love it when a non-parent can possibly ever try and comprehend what being a parent is like and then have the gall to question our behavior when worried about our kids.

I would have been exactly like Grapp. No question.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1972 on: September 16, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »
I'm actually seriously reconsidering catching Gojira on this tour just because I think it's going to be a little riskier than I'm up for. I like them and all, but not enough to be packed in with a thousand of their fans.

Is proof of vaccine / test required?  I'm pretty sure once October hits, it's mandatory for all venues in this area.  My local ballroom will become vaccine only as well.
Well, it's in your area that I'd likely be seeing them, so the calculus changes, yet again. I'm taking it one trip at a time, so I haven't gotten too far into the planning yet.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1973 on: September 16, 2021, 02:54:07 PM »

Well, it's in your area that I'd likely be seeing them, so the calculus changes, yet again. I'm taking it one trip at a time, so I haven't gotten too far into the planning yet.

Yup.  Let's see if they make it into the country first.  Avatar from Sweden had no issues, Unleash the Archers from Canada did.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1974 on: September 16, 2021, 03:00:44 PM »

I was going to back you up but you beat me to it. We parents just love it when a non-parent can possibly ever try and comprehend what being a parent is like and then have the gall to question our behavior when worried about our kids.

So just to be clear on this point, I'm on Grappler's side here. And I suppose by extension, yours as well. I think Ben's remark was somewhat incorrect, but not in the way y'all think. I mostly think it just wasn't really worth saying under the circumstances. Grappler's concerned about his kid, and I'm damn sure not going to knock him for that. Hope things turn out well.  :tup

That said, much like we non-parents can't comprehend this and that and the other, parents seem to have an equally rough go at trying to see things from the non-parent perspective, which, believe it or not, is every bit as valid. Where I think Ben was wrong was that all parents "jump to those assumptions and start to become emotional to where they affect their overall thought process." As I've said before, parenthood makes people lose their fucking minds. Reason is quickly replaced by emotionalism. This is not a bad thing, per se. Parents become what they need to be. Just don't be so quick to dismiss what those of us looking in from the outside have to say. The dispassionate, alternative perspective is just as important, and just as valid.

In this case, it probably wasn't. Grappler's emotional response was quite valid. At the same time, sometimes people like us need to remind parents that maybe $400 on a bulletproof backpack for you kid isn't as wise as dropping the same 4 bills into an investment account for him.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: September 16, 2021, 03:08:23 PM »
I previously brought up the idea of purposely infecting kids with covid, as my pediatrician friend actually mentioned to me as an idea not that I personally was championing for it, and while not a parent, I kind of agreed with what some here said in that they cannot fathom purposely sickening their children.  It's easy for me to suggest, but not easy for me to understand those feelings.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1976 on: September 16, 2021, 03:27:13 PM »
Ben, unless you have children and watched them struggle to breathe, being completely helpless in the moment, you cannot comprehend the sheer terror of that experience. 

I can absolutely relate to this.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1977 on: September 16, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »
I'm not going to pile on except to say that the lack of empathy in some people is jaw dropping.

Grappler, I hope your boy recovers quickly and good on you for getting him the help he so obviously needed.

Right now, my sister is horribly ill with almost all of the hallmark symptoms of Covid and yet tested negative for Covid yesterday.  She is fully vaccinated.  I'm exceedingly worried, her blood pressure is sky high and she can hardly breathe.  I'm guessing viral pneumonia as she's been on antibiotics for a sinus infection for over 2 weeks now.  I pretty much had to bolster her up to not take it if her provider tries to shuffle her out the door with simply another Covid test (which is what it sounded like from her text).  I don't want her in the hospital but I also don't want her to have a stroke or a heart attack at home because the hospital is full up of Covid with no room for anything else.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1978 on: September 16, 2021, 03:53:26 PM »
You think people could easily give up these comforts? I feel we got our answer with Covid...

Easily? No. Most people are still apathetic to their world, most know next to nothing about what is going on in their neighborhood.

It is my opinion, but do you really think most people are engaged in politics, the news, and world events? Even if everyone you personally know is? Even if they get their butt off the couch to vote once every 4 years in a national election (because we know most don't vote in every local and state election that they can)

Most voting age Americans didn't vote in 2016. In 2020, the two leading candidates for President got the most votes ever in history, so more people voted than ever in US history. BUT many will admit they only voted blue to get rid of the guy running red, and did not base their decision on policy, facts, or the personal histories of those running for office. "I voted for the really racist guy to get rid of the other really racist guy" is apathetic to me. Even the ballots themselves, many were just votes for the Executive, blank for every other candidate running for different positions. At least that is what we've been told.

Voting is an illusion to make you think you have a choice, as long as it's between the two major parties that play ball with each other, cause most of the problems are country and world face if not do nothing to help, are in bed with all the same corporations and pharmaceutical companies, and control the voting systems in each state.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1979 on: September 16, 2021, 03:57:35 PM »
Actually, my first mistake was reading and responding to a post of Darkshade's.

Searched him on Duck Duck Go, first page there syas he's full of shit too.

Yeah, that's exactly where I pulled that quote from.  Joke's on you Darkshade, I don't trust the Google either ... just used it as a ubiquitous verb.

It's the outright dismissal of my post and the content posted because someone did a google search on the doctor, when those people have no medical degrees I am aware of, that is a problem. Search engine companies, news media outlets, and politicians also have no medical degrees either

Do YOU have a medical degree?  By your own logic, I shouldn't pay attention to the information you're spreading.

Duck Duck Go is just as untrustworthy, and tend to give you similar results as Google and Bing does.

No, I don't have a medical degree, which is why I posted a link to an interview with someone who does.
Don't shoot the messenger, they say. Don't shoot the message, either.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1980 on: September 16, 2021, 04:04:17 PM »

Like when people assume unvaccinated people are anti-vax or republicans or Trump Supporters. They assume that person who is vocal is speaking for all the unvaccinated and that all the unvaccinated think like that vocal person.

Not saying correlation is causation but...

It should be noted for those unfamiliar with CA geography, the low covid areas are where the high population density of the state is, a very, very blue state. These are also the areas where vaccine rates are highest and where mask mandates are followed for the most part. Also...CA is on pace to be the first state to be on the downside of the Delta surge because of our handling of it. I know that means dick to those who think the pandemic is a fallacy and a scam but it is what it is.

But the association with a political vote is at best misleading.  I'm a very blue state as well, and not only are the causations not here, neither is the correlation.  I know, I know, there's that one article out there, and it will persevere for those that need to see that vindication (not saying you, personally).   But that doesn't make it any more right or any more effective in changing minds.

That's kind of what I was getting at, and heavily populated is a vast understatement. Between LA county and the 6 county greater bay area, you're looking at 20 million people. Shit, my county alone has almost 1.7 million. (Alameda, which contains Oakland)

Just throwing it out there, but it could also be that most of the deaths have occurred in those more populated areas of the US by now, like CA, NJ, NY, Michigan, the places where all those most susceptible to the virus, like old people, got covid in 2020 and died, many due to the tyrannical incompetent policies of those state's governors, which contributed to the high death rate in the US in total early on in the pandemic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1981 on: September 16, 2021, 04:13:27 PM »
Yeah but what Lonestar is pointing out is L.A. which is extremely populated is doing a good job with the covid and many liberals live in L A.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1982 on: September 16, 2021, 04:28:31 PM »
Haven’t had time to read back over the last couple of pages but I came here to say that king county in Washington just announced that they will be requiring proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test for any restaurant, theater, or entertainment facility.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1983 on: September 16, 2021, 04:29:56 PM »
Yeah but what Lonestar is pointing out is L.A. which is extremely populated is doing a good job with the covid and many liberals live in L A.

but if most of all the most vulnerable are dead, that leaves the rest of the population that has a 99.99% chance of survival from covid, with or without vaccines, masks, and social distancing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1984 on: September 16, 2021, 04:31:29 PM »
Haven’t had time to read back over the last couple of pages but I came here to say that king county in Washington just announced that they will be requiring proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test for any restaurant, theater, or entertainment facility.

See, these are the policies in question, coming from politicians who are not medical professionals, taking recommendations from those are BUT who profit from the jabs and say things like "don't take Ivermectin, it's horse medicine!" even though other countries use it to great effect against covid. Those with the vaccine are just as likely to spread the virus, if not more so, as those with natural immunity.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1985 on: September 16, 2021, 04:33:17 PM »

Grappler, I am very sorry and did not mean nor intend for my response to come off the way it did. I understand it came off as pretty inappropriate and I apologise for that. No harm intended what so ever.

I am glad your son is okay and doing well and that it isn't Covid-19 and your worries were diminished.

And I have seen a little baby try and breathe. That was my brother whom passed away as a baby a few months after having stopped breathing and turning blue. I was there by his side when it happened. He ended up having a heart disorder when he was diagnosed and they couldn't do much about it.

I understand how emotional it can be. And for that I do have sympathy for anyone that has a worry for a child.

So just to be clear on this point, I'm on Grappler's side here. And I suppose by extension, yours as well. I think Ben's remark was somewhat incorrect, but not in the way y'all think. I mostly think it just wasn't really worth saying under the circumstances. Grappler's concerned about his kid, and I'm damn sure not going to knock him for that. Hope things turn out well.  :tup

That said, much like we non-parents can't comprehend this and that and the other, parents seem to have an equally rough go at trying to see things from the non-parent perspective, which, believe it or not, is every bit as valid. Where I think Ben was wrong was that all parents "jump to those assumptions and start to become emotional to where they affect their overall thought process." As I've said before, parenthood makes people lose their fucking minds. Reason is quickly replaced by emotionalism. This is not a bad thing, per se. Parents become what they need to be. Just don't be so quick to dismiss what those of us looking in from the outside have to say. The dispassionate, alternative perspective is just as important, and just as valid.

In this case, it probably wasn't. Grappler's emotional response was quite valid. At the same time, sometimes people like us need to remind parents that maybe $400 on a bulletproof backpack for you kid isn't as wise as dropping the same 4 bills into an investment account for him.

This is what I intended to present. And I agree with you Barto. It's not all parents. As with all things, those are the parents that are most vocal about it.

It's something that does happen and sometimes those protective emotions turn into physical fights. We had a YAFL football game here recently where the parents ended up in an big brawl. The news stated it was because of a hard hit and people are assuming the kid whom tackled the other kid also kicked him in the head after tackling him. It was so intense that they had to have a YAFL parents committee meeting take place on what to do about those situations.

I just find it interesting how emotions can play into conclusions and decision making that can have drastic consequences.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1986 on: September 16, 2021, 04:35:21 PM »
No offense to anyone with kids, but the flu kills more children each year than covid has in all its existence. That is not my opinion.
Take care of your kids, but let's stop letting the fear porn control our actions.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: September 16, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »

but if most of all the most vulnerable are dead, that leaves the rest of the population that has a 99.99% chance of survival from covid, with or without vaccines, masks, and social distancing.

So you are saying you're good with 4.55 million deaths.  Got it.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1988 on: September 16, 2021, 05:08:58 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your support. 

It's just so irritating to know that there are people out there that think that this is a joke and parade a 99% survival rate around, as if that makes any difference.  To watch my son have covid-like symptoms at the age of 3, and not be able to help him really affected me.  It luckily turned out to be just a bad chest cold, but you don't know that in the moment and you start thinking about what things might be like in a few days.  Will they be better or worse?  Will I be able to go into work?  Will my daughter have to stay home from school for 10 days and get covid tested yet again?

No offense to anyone with kids, but the flu kills more children each year than covid has in all its existence. That is not my opinion.
Take care of your kids, but let's stop letting the fear porn control our actions.

Which is why my kids get a flu shot.  And once again, kids covid vaccines aren't yet approved.  So they have to walk through life unprotected.  We can't keep them home and in a bubble - they have school, and while they wear masks, they're kids.  They share germs like crazy.  If we can try to keep covid out of schools by keeping kids healthier and covid-free at home (i.e., parents need to wear masks and get vaccinated!) then that isn't as much of an issue.

Which is why it's frustrating to see such fervent support for the Unmask Our Kids campaigns against schools.  I'm trying to keep covid out of my household, yet I have to send my kid into the lion's den of germs every day, knowing that there have been a number of positive cases at her school.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1989 on: September 16, 2021, 06:14:46 PM »
Correct. Don't keep kids in a bubble. Get them exposed to germs and make their immune systems strong. That's how you get their bodies to fight off infectious diseases naturally, and without foreign substances. The arrogance to think you're going to keep an airborne virus out of your home, short of covering your property with an air tight bubble, and making your kids walk around in a space suit.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1990 on: September 16, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »

So you are saying you're good with 4.55 million deaths.  Got it.

Of course not, but wouldn't reducing the human population be a big help in fighting man-made climate change?
It's mostly unvaxxed dying right? Most are right winger Q nuts right? Doctors should deny them if they get sick and go to the hospital right?
Why hate them then care about their health?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: September 16, 2021, 06:23:45 PM »
That's crazy talk. I don't want anyone to die. I would like common sense though. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: September 16, 2021, 06:40:06 PM »

Yes, it is your opinion, not based on facts or studies

Flu deaths in the States  2019-20  24,000 to 62,000 pre Covid (even fewer last year)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%932020_United_States_flu_season#:~:text=The%20Centers%20for%20Disease%20Control,and%2024%2C000%20to%2062%2C000%20deaths.

2017-18 flu deaths  in the States  approx 61,000 preCovid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%932018_United_States_flu_season

covid in the States.... over 688,000 deaths since March 2020
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Where do you get your so called facts?

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1993 on: September 16, 2021, 06:45:32 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1994 on: September 16, 2021, 06:46:53 PM »
Covid. 4.55 million in 18 months.

Flu is 600,000 a year. 18 months is 900,000.

This is worldwide.

4.55 million

5 times deadlier.