Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195379 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #1785 on: September 10, 2021, 08:26:06 PM »
I know I am not alone in this, but I am torn on this whole mandate.  On the one hand, if it gets more people vaccinated, that is a great thing, but on the other hand, I am not sure this is the best way to go about it.  Don't ask me what a better way is because I honestly do not know.  It just feels like this mandate is not the right move at this time.

It's such a tough decision.   I'm with you.  I'm torn.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1786 on: September 10, 2021, 08:27:19 PM »
I know I am not alone in this, but I am torn on this whole mandate.  On the one hand, if it gets more people vaccinated, that is a great thing, but on the other hand, I am not sure this is the best way to go about it.  Don't ask me what a better way is because I honestly do not know.  It just feels like this mandate is not the right move at this time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1787 on: September 10, 2021, 08:29:55 PM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1788 on: September 10, 2021, 08:32:36 PM »
You don't want to see me lying naked on the floor.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1789 on: September 10, 2021, 08:35:27 PM »

This is how I feel.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1790 on: September 10, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »

This is how I feel.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that you got this. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1791 on: September 10, 2021, 08:43:21 PM »
I love that song! ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1792 on: September 10, 2021, 08:43:39 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1793 on: September 10, 2021, 08:45:09 PM »
Better than down.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1794 on: September 11, 2021, 09:54:26 AM »
Can someone please answer this?

We live in a society of mandates. We have to have a drivers license, marriage license and in the State I live in, newborn children are subject to a battery of tests to ensure they are healthy and yet, we don't bat an eye with this but when you talk about a vaccine that has proven to save lives, all people want to talk about is "Merican freedom".

How effed up is that?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1795 on: September 11, 2021, 10:03:45 AM »

We live in a society of mandates. We have to have a drivers license, marriage license and in the State I live in, newborn children are subject to a battery of tests to ensure they are healthy and yet, we don't bat an eye with this but when you talk about a vaccine that has proven to save lives, all people want to talk about is "Merican freedom".

How effed up is that?

Oh deep down I do have a problem with it....It's the same issue I have with insurance, which leads me to believe Insurance is bullshit.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1796 on: September 11, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »

How effed up is that?

There is a segment of antivaxxers who are against the initial vitamin K shot given at birth that helps blood clotting until the newborn can produce its own. I always felt it's an end product of shitty scientific education in our public schools

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1797 on: September 11, 2021, 10:13:43 AM »

How effed up is that?

I think it is effed up that you think all that people want to talk about is "Merican freedom," but you do you.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1798 on: September 11, 2021, 10:26:49 AM »
Here's a great video about...

the Psychology of Conformity

This might help those whom just can't seem to understand how people are vastly different to where they do not think or feel the same as you.

And another on...

Why an Obsession With Safety creates Sick Minds and a Sick Society
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 10:41:24 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1799 on: September 11, 2021, 11:26:56 AM »

How effed up is that?

I think it is effed up that you think all that people want to talk about is "Merican freedom," but you do you.

OK - take out the "Merican" statement and continue to answer the question.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1800 on: September 11, 2021, 02:06:16 PM »
I'll get this one:  I think it is effed up that you think all that people want to talk about is "Merican freedom," but you do you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1801 on: September 11, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »
I'll get this one:  I think it is effed up that you think all that people want to talk about is "Merican freedom," but you do you.

It's obvious that you have a hard on for me. I take it as a compliment!  :angel:

So answer the question. Prediction - I don't think you can....... :tdwn

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1802 on: September 11, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »

It's obvious that you have a hard on for me. I take it as a compliment!  :angel:

One answer I could give you that could be possible is...

People have different thresholds, how far is one willing to play along? How far is one willing to take all the lashes? How far is one willing to just deal with it?

Drivers Licenses: Here in New Mexico we have what you call two forms of ID's because we are refugee state. This caused such a burden on the citizens already living here as we are now required to have this RealID in order to fly, and visit Federal Buildings. Doesn't help matters that our Motor Vehicle Department isn't quite adept and doesn't actually function well. People barely tolerate that enough as it is.

Marriage License: This is recognized by the State and is meant for legal purposes such as Taxes. Otherwise this is done by the religion that performs the marriage ceremony. In this case, it's done by a judge. When you get married in the catholic church, you sign two documents one to have your marriage recognized by the state, and the other that recognizes the marriage by the church.

These do not infringe on a persons freedom of choice as much as a mandated medical product does. A mandated medical product infringes on a persons right to privacy, as it stands, we're on that thin line of deciding whether the government has a right to determine whether your Bodily Autonomy is considered a "Privacy Right". What gives the government the right to determine what you should, and how you should treat your body? What gives the authority the right to determine and define what is considered healthy and a threat for the sanctity of the "Public Health"?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1803 on: September 11, 2021, 04:42:04 PM »

People have different thresholds, how far is one willing to play along? How far is one willing to take all the lashes? How far is one willing to just deal with it?

Drivers Licenses: Here in New Mexico we have what you call two forms of ID's because we are refugee state. This caused such a burden on the citizens already living here as we are now required to have this RealID in order to fly, and visit Federal Buildings. Doesn't help matters that our Motor Vehicle Department isn't quite adept and doesn't actually function well. People barely tolerate that enough as it is.

Marriage License: This is recognized by the State and is meant for legal purposes such as Taxes. Otherwise this is done by the religion that performs the marriage ceremony. In this case, it's done by a judge. When you get married in the catholic church, you sign two documents one to have your marriage recognized by the state, and the other that recognizes the marriage by the church.

These do not infringe on a persons freedom of choice as much as a mandated medical product does. A mandated medical product infringes on a persons right to privacy, as it stands, we're on that thin line of deciding whether the government has a right to determine whether your Bodily Autonomy is considered a "Privacy Right". What gives the government the right to determine what you should, and how you should treat your body? What gives the authority the right to determine and define what is considered healthy and a threat for the sanctity of the "Public Health"?

Thanks for your response Ben!

Bodily autonomy is an interesting use of words when we mandate the use of other vaccines such as polio, chickenpox and hepatitis. And we mandate these for our kids!   :omg:

I'm with you about your right to privacy from the government but they have already taken that away from you.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1804 on: September 11, 2021, 05:15:04 PM »

Thanks for your response Ben!

Bodily autonomy is an interesting use of words when we mandate the use of other vaccines such as polio, chickenpox and hepatitis. And we mandate these for our kids!   :omg:

I'm with you about your right to privacy from the government but they have already taken that away from you.

Right to Privacy and Bodily Autonomy means that no one person can force, and shouldn't really be coercing, you into doing things to your body against your will. That's very different from voluntarily giving that one person permission for them too do it, which is the consent we give our doctors and those medical professionals when we agree to trust their knowledge and expertise. It's the consent form each person signed when they got their vaccinations, stating you are voluntarily allowing the person to administer the vaccine into your body and they will not be held liable for any side effects.

This is why Medical Malpractice should be a really hefty penalty for the consequences involved. Because Dr. Nick Riviera should be held accountable for his negligent and ignorant knowledge of Medicine and lack of expertise in the medical field. Unless they're a psychopathic doctor like Dr. John Story...

Found this article fascinating...

https://medium.com/inside-of-elle-beau/body-autonomy-is-protected-by-the-constitution-ede4fb256ebb

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1805 on: September 11, 2021, 05:57:05 PM »

Your prediction is correct--I cannot.  But that is because, as Hef noted before me and I echoed, the question assumes something that is false.

And, no, it's not about you.  It's about calling out behavior that is unnecessarily confrontational and childish, which yours has been in this thread.  Four other people have gotten warnings for similar behavior in the last few days, so if you think you are being singled out, you are mistaken and could benefit from dropping the persecution complex and doing some self-examination.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1806 on: September 12, 2021, 06:56:01 AM »

Your prediction is correct--I cannot.  But that is because, as Hef noted before me and I echoed, the question assumes something that is false.

And, no, it's not about you.  It's about calling out behavior that is unnecessarily confrontational and childish, which yours has been in this thread.  Four other people have gotten warnings for similar behavior in the last few days, so if you think you are being singled out, you are mistaken and could benefit from dropping the persecution complex and doing some self-examination.

You guys respond to my post in a snarky manner and yet I'm the one being called out as childish? Sorry, no need for self-reflection on my part.

But back to my question, what is that "assumes something that is false"?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1807 on: September 12, 2021, 09:17:08 AM »
This is MAYBE a short-term win (at best) and almost definitely a long-term mistake

I kinda agree.  I don't think this is a wise way to use a stick.

However, if everyone has the option to provide negative tests as an alternative, I'm fully on-board with that.

Who's paying for all this testing though?  Does it come out of the employee pocket? Insurance? The government? 

This is a good question.  If it all of a sudden becomes a personal expense to prove you (royal) are COVID free weekly, or more frequently, I'd surmise the vax rates will go up rather dramatically.

I was watching a Civil Rights lawyer interviewed recently, and part of his commentary/message was twofold.  First, all of the vaccine "mandates" or passports are simply ways of "credentialling" people.  We as a society do this ALL... THE ... TIME.  So, this is simply just a new form of a credential that is needed for access to various places/services.  Second, so long as there is an alternate option or choice, nothing is being "mandated".  IE, if someone can forego the vax, but still comply to get their credentials via testing or some other option, then they rights (fundamental, constitutional, otherwise) are not being infringed.

We CREDENTIAL all the time, but - and yes, Chad, I know you're not exactly saying this - we don't (necessarily) force people to change their body chemistry all the time.   Hey, since we're at it, maybe we should make people eat the proper ratio of carbs/protein/fats?   Maybe we should force people to take anti-depressants.   Sterilization is a fantastic idea; don't want those deplorables to be breeding now, do we?   I'm kidding, but see there ARE differences in this, and minimizing those differences does nothing to change minds.  It just reinforces the anti-vaxxer's feelings of not being heard. 

Though I am fully in agreement with you on your second point; if there is a way out so that it truly is a choice, then I'm all for it (that's largely the structure for administered vaccines already). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1808 on: September 12, 2021, 09:19:35 AM »
I might be a skeleton before a mod honors my PR request, so questions of legality aside (of which I have many), I will say this:

I hope, at least, that it works. I'm not thrilled about having to return to the office, but I'll feel better if I know that over 75% of my coworkers are vaccinated.
I'm not thrilled about having to keep a child in daycare, but I'll feel better knowing that the staff are mostly all vaccinated and that the parents of the children are, too.

The interesting thing is, I'm against this largely (though if it really is a choice - vaccine or test - then I'm a lot more comfortable with it) but even so, I feel the same way as you.  I WOULD feel better if those around me and my kids were vaccinated.  I just don't value "my feeling better" as anything that anyone else should be worried about.  Or that our policy should address.  Or that the law should be subordinate to.   A lot - too much - of our recent policy seems predicated on that most subjective (and elusive) of standards and we're not better off for it (it's only serving to deepen our divisiveness).

Don't twist it - my feelings are based on pretty realistic views on the pandemic and what it is doing to people around the world, as well as substantial evidence that vaccines are an immediate and effective answer.  I don't see the law as subordinating to feelings here, whether they're mine or anyone elses. Taking it a step further, I'm not sure I agree that the law is being subordinated at all.

I'm not intending to twist anything: I was agreeing with your simple statement that I would feel better if people around me were vaccinated.  The rest was just my explanation of where I prioritized MY feelings, no one else's.

Not that I would necessarily care if it the law was, in fact, being subordinated.

Unfortunately, though, we don't get to pick and choose what laws we follow and what laws we ignore.  That's what laws are: the one (legal) way that others can force you to act.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1809 on: September 12, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »
This is MAYBE a short-term win (at best) and almost definitely a long-term mistake

I kinda agree.  I don't think this is a wise way to use a stick.

However, if everyone has the option to provide negative tests as an alternative, I'm fully on-board with that.

Who's paying for all this testing though?  Does it come out of the employee pocket? Insurance? The government? 

This is a good question.  If it all of a sudden becomes a personal expense to prove you (royal) are COVID free weekly, or more frequently, I'd surmise the vax rates will go up rather dramatically.

I was watching a Civil Rights lawyer interviewed recently, and part of his commentary/message was twofold.  First, all of the vaccine "mandates" or passports are simply ways of "credentialling" people.  We as a society do this ALL... THE ... TIME.  So, this is simply just a new form of a credential that is needed for access to various places/services.  Second, so long as there is an alternate option or choice, nothing is being "mandated".  IE, if someone can forego the vax, but still comply to get their credentials via testing or some other option, then they rights (fundamental, constitutional, otherwise) are not being infringed.

We CREDENTIAL all the time, but - and yes, Chad, I know you're not exactly saying this - we don't (necessarily) force people to change their body chemistry all the time.   Hey, since we're at it, maybe we should make people eat the proper ratio of carbs/protein/fats?   Maybe we should force people to take anti-depressants.   Sterilization is a fantastic idea; don't want those deplorables to be breeding now, do we?   I'm kidding, but see there ARE differences in this, and minimizing those differences does nothing to change minds.  It just reinforces the anti-vaxxer's feelings of not being heard. 

Though I am fully in agreement with you on your second point; if there is a way out so that it truly is a choice, then I'm all for it (that's largely the structure for administered vaccines already).

And then those choices will end up being "the lesser of two evils" choice like how this past election was. You can either have the Trump or The Biden....it's one reason I really wish I could see an alternate outcome to see if the shoe would've been the same, just worn on the other foot.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: September 12, 2021, 09:25:42 AM »

How effed up is that?

There are two questions in that post:  Yes, I can answer this.  Zero.  It is zero effed up.   And I've already explained why numerous times.  I don't change my body chemistry to get a driver's license. Nor am I FORCED to get a driver's license if I don't want one.  I can still go see Steel Panther on Saturday if I have a driver's license or not.   I don't change my body chemistry to get a marriage license. Nor am I FORCED to marry if I don't want to. I can still go to see Steel Panther on Saturday if I am married or not.   There are no LAWS I know of that FORCE the battery of tests (yes, some students have to get a physical, but it's not a MANDATE since you can opt to home school if you don't want to go through the examination).   And I would not assume that no one "bat's an eye"; that they exist doesn't mean that everyone necessarily agrees with them.

For me, its not about the certification or the licensure; if I get the vaccine of my own accord, I have no problem at all with measures that force me to declare that, or present proof.  That's a driver's license.   That's a marriage license.  Where my objection starts is any point after which it's not my decision and my decision alone as to whether that needle goes in my arm.  Period.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 09:31:39 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1811 on: September 12, 2021, 09:29:44 AM »

I did.   Multiple times.  I think the onus is on you now to see if you ACKNOWLEDGE the answer.  Not "agree with it", since I don't care about "being right", just acknowledge it as a legitimate answer.

And for the record, I despise the euphemism "'murican".  I think it's demeaning, dismissive, and insulting.  (I mean generally; I'm not accusing you of any of those things.).

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1812 on: September 12, 2021, 09:35:46 AM »

I did.   Multiple times.  I think the onus is on you now to see if you ACKNOWLEDGE the answer.  Not "agree with it", since I don't care about "being right", just acknowledge it as a legitimate answer.

And for the record, I despise the euphemism "'murican".  I think it's demeaning, dismissive, and insulting.  (I mean generally; I'm not accusing you of any of those things.).

It's hilarious because that's the generalization term for an American. Your dumb, hillbilly, southern accent, watches NASCAR and eats nothing but Fast Food...'Murican.

When I hear that term that's what I picture.... :lol

Reminds me of how when people think of an "Indian" they see us in teepees, pow-wows, just in g-string, smoking tobacco and making smoke signals.  :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1813 on: September 12, 2021, 09:54:36 AM »

How effed up is that?

There are two questions in that post:  Yes, I can answer this.  Zero.  It is zero effed up.   And I've already explained why numerous times.  I don't change my body chemistry to get a driver's license. Nor am I FORCED to get a driver's license if I don't want one.  I can still go see Steel Panther on Saturday if I have a driver's license or not.   I don't change my body chemistry to get a marriage license. Nor am I FORCED to marry if I don't want to. I can still go to see Steel Panther on Saturday if I am married or not.   There are no LAWS I know of that FORCE the battery of tests (yes, some students have to get a physical, but it's not a MANDATE since you can opt to home school if you don't want to go through the examination).   And I would not assume that no one "bat's an eye"; that they exist doesn't mean that everyone necessarily agrees with them.

For me, its not about the certification or the licensure; if I get the vaccine of my own accord, I have no problem at all with measures that force me to declare that, or present proof.  That's a driver's license.   That's a marriage license.  Where my objection starts is any point after which it's not my decision and my decision alone as to whether that needle goes in my arm.  Period.

My bigger point was the irony of how people act with laws and mandates and not thinking twice about vs. how they lose their shit regarding this vaccine. Most people (I will include myself) don't think about certain things to the level you do.

I will say it again, I m not wanting to round people up and jab them but I am all for restricting their rights. We do this ALL THE TIME!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1814 on: September 12, 2021, 09:59:43 AM »
I see where you're digging at, and yes the current vaccine has pressed some magical butthurt button across our society. The only thing I think, personal opinion here folks....is that it shows how glaringly privelaged the US is across the board. We have so little suffering that occurs on the regular in other places that we have to manufacture it, and for some reason, the covid vax has clicked all the right boxes at just the right time even though the overwhelming scientific evidence states that it's safe, effective, and the easiest way out of the pandemic.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1815 on: September 12, 2021, 10:00:41 AM »

No, your spot on. That's exactly how I meant to use the term. But for the record, not to be denigrating but if that term incites a certain stereotype image then so be it. It's where I live. My neighbor was not going to get vaccinated. He's pretty much a redneck but in general a good guy. He buried his mother last Friday who died from covid and he is feeling pretty guilty that he was the one who gave it to her. He is getting vaxxed but it had to take a dead mother to push the needle forward. ( no pun intended)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1816 on: September 12, 2021, 10:02:33 AM »

How effed up is that?

My bigger point was the irony of how people act with laws and mandates and not thinking twice about vs. how they lose their shit regarding this vaccine. Most people (I will include myself) don't think about certain things to the level you do.

I will say it again, I m not wanting to round people up and jab them but I am all for restricting their rights. We do this ALL THE TIME!

Yes we DO. But THIS is not the same threshold of tolerance as those things because THIS involves the inclusion of Privacy of the Body, and what one can dictate you are required of to be a part of the society.

It's how China can now say they don't want none of that LGTBQ feminization as it is detrimental to their overall "Public Health" of the boys/males not being Masculine enough to fight. And are doing things to make the boys, Men. Rather than a man who will complain like a women and start crying on the battlefield with their emotions and compassion. They, China, dictate that is not what their military requires of the men.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1817 on: September 12, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »
I see where you're digging at, and yes the current vaccine has pressed some magical butthurt button across our society. The only thing I think, personal opinion here folks....is that it shows how glaringly privelaged the US is across the board. We have so little suffering that occurs on the regular in other places that we have to manufacture it, and for some reason, the covid vax has clicked all the right boxes at just the right time even though the overwhelming scientific evidence states that it's safe, effective, and the easiest way out of the pandemic.

The vaccine has nothing to do with the why of people....

I feel, it has to do with Trust, and the Trust the authorities have over their people. When that trust is pretty much gone, what makes you think they'll abide and obey their orders if that trust is gone?

These same people are also losing Trust in their own religious leaders.

If the Authorities weren't doing questionable actions and making questionable decisions that do not benefit the people, while disregarding the common folk and people, why should the people trust them?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1818 on: September 12, 2021, 10:13:59 AM »
That lack of trust is a key sign to how fucking spoiled we are, that we can blindly question people who make it their life's work to understand these things without a shred of credible fucking evidence, and then propagate it like weeds across the internet through every idiot's token social media platform. It's what has devastated any sense of social responsibility across the board.

It's easy to point a finger at 'the man' and act all fucking righteous about it, and it makes you think you're on the side of truth and justice and whatever other bullshit lies you tell yourself to feel better about it, but in the end it's just killing people.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1819 on: September 12, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »

No, your spot on. That's exactly how I meant to use the term. But for the record, not to be denigrating but if that term incites a certain stereotype image then so be it.

Sound pretty consistent with how Stdler uses the term “deplorable”. If the shoe fits ....
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion