Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195362 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #1225 on: August 23, 2021, 09:10:32 AM »
They mentioned on the news this morning that based on a poll (we all know how accurate those are), 3/10 unvaccinated people will get the vaccine once fully approved by the FDA.

That's roughly 42 million people.  That would push us up over 70% vaccinated.   I would think that would make us all happy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1226 on: August 23, 2021, 09:15:19 AM »
I hate to be pessimistic, but I really don't see this moving the needle too much.

It'll likely lead to more mandates though, that will force the issue.

They mentioned on the news this morning that based on a poll (we all know how accurate those are), 3/10 unvaccinated people will get the vaccine once fully approved by the FDA.

That's roughly 42 million people.  That would push us up over 70% vaccinated.   I would think that would make us all happy.

If the 3/10 number is legit, that's great potential.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1227 on: August 23, 2021, 10:44:15 AM »
My father works for Kaiser Permanente out in Cali. He just sent me this text.

"Kaiser sent out today that if you didnt have proof of vaccination or a legit exemption by Dec 1, youre fired
And if you don't have it by OCT 1, you get put on UNPAID administrative leave until 12/1
They're not screwing around anymore"

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1228 on: August 23, 2021, 10:49:43 AM »

"Kaiser sent out today that if you didnt have proof of vaccination or a legit exemption by Dec 1, youre fired
And if you don't have it by OCT 1, you get put on UNPAID administrative leave until 12/1

Yep. Someone correct me if I am wrong but they had predicted vaccine mandates would increase once full FDA approval was given. I think that a vaccine mandate for a drug that did not have full FDA approval could be challenged in court. I personally am glad and am all for it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: August 23, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »
My company had said vaccines were mandated a couple weeks ago, but my specific branch of the company is re-opening the office September 15th and it will be required by ANYONE who enters the building, including vendors and guests.  No one is being required to work from the office, work from home remains completely optional for most people and will be for the foreseeable future.  Opening the office is just a way to get people who want to get out of the house, the option.  Sounds like a solid plan to me, but it doesn't really impact me as an "essential worker" as I've been in this whole time and even just completed my first business trip last week. 

It was so weird being in LA where the mask is mandated and it seems like everyone wears them even by themselves outside.  Back in NJ, and it's not mandated so I was out and about without the mask over the weekend. 

I've gotten to the point with going to so many concerts lately and traveling to wondering if I am just spreading covid all over the nation.  I haven't felt sick or anything though, just find it hard to believe I have not been exposed from all the social activities being maskless lately.  I guess if even I did contract the virus, being asymptomatic would likely mean I'm not spreading it though.  It's just constantly in the back of my mind these days and I very much feel like other than sitting in my house, there's nothing I can do but go about my life and try to enjoy it the ways I can.  Which means going to concerts for me.  There's A LOT coming up too.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1230 on: August 23, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »

Love it. My company mandated them a bit back, and told one coworker he couldn't work again till two weeks after his second shit. He missed 5 weeks pay.

Just curious Chino, is your dad local to me in the bay?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1231 on: August 23, 2021, 11:23:29 AM »

Love it. My company mandated them a bit back, and told one coworker he couldn't work again till two weeks after his second shit. He missed 5 weeks pay.

Just curious Chino, is your dad local to me in the bay?

Negative. He's in CT. He used to work in the CT offices until they shuttered them some time around 1997 or so. They wanted to move our fam out to Cali, but he didn't want to relocate. They retrofitted one of the rooms in his house to let him work from home, and he's been doing it for them since. Technically he's a part time contractor for them now and getting ready to retire for the third time  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1232 on: August 23, 2021, 11:23:48 AM »

That's a helluva shit!!   :lol

I'd lay down next week's pay, giving away odds and take the under on that 42M number.  Now, companies that mandate it BECAUSE it's now fully approved... THAT will move the needle.  The full approval is an indirect cause though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: August 23, 2021, 11:25:14 AM »
And out come the mandates, NJ is now mandating all state workers to be vaccinated or get weekly testing.

But also, the state (for the first time to my knowledge, I could be wrong) have released some breakthrough #'s:

Wow, those numbers are pretty damn strong to show the vaccines are working in NJ.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: August 23, 2021, 11:26:32 AM »
And I'll bet every single one of those 58 deaths were either elderly, or had a pretty meaningful co-morbidity.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: August 23, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »
And I'll bet every single one of those 58 deaths were either elderly, or had a pretty meaningful co-morbidity.

Oh, I'm sure of it too.  That's basically been what a lot of vaccinated death data I've seen has shown.  I'm not sure I've really seen any data of younger vaccinated people dying. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1236 on: August 23, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
So does this mean that the vaccine police can no longer site the Nuremberg Code now that it is FDA approved?

Just wondering what the next ludicrous rallying cry will be.

And what's the deal about the guy having to take 2 dumps before returning to work? I knock that out before lunch. Benefits of no gall bladder.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1237 on: August 23, 2021, 11:48:29 AM »
Well that FDA approval went on smoothly as I figured was going to occur based on how adamant they are for people to get the vaccine and demanding of mandates.

When does the EUA end, so that these lockdowns and quarantines, will be over and done with?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: August 23, 2021, 11:59:39 AM »
Well that FDA approval went on smoothly as I figured was going to occur based on how adamant they are for people to get the vaccine and demanding of mandates.

When does the EUA end, so that these lockdowns and quarantines, will be over and done with?

EUA isn't ending, there's still the other two vaccines that don't seem to be getting FDA approval just yet.  But what lockdowns and quarantines are you talking about?  I'm not really aware of any lockdowns in the US at this point although there may be some in localized areas.  Quarantining is only from positive tests as far as I know.  Like no quarantining is necessary from travel right now or even exposure if you are vaccinated (from my understanding, I could be wrong).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: August 23, 2021, 01:12:48 PM »
And what's the deal about the guy having to take 2 dumps before returning to work? I knock that out before lunch. Benefits of no gall bladder.  :lol

Lunch!?!!?  I'm usually 2 loafs in before breakfast!  Coffee greases my skids.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1240 on: August 23, 2021, 01:19:58 PM »

Lunch!?!!?  I'm usually 2 loafs in before breakfast!  Coffee greases my skids.

I get one spectacular drop at 6:15am every morning, the only predictable part of my life. It could be before 6,but I wait to do it on company time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: August 23, 2021, 01:20:51 PM »
I'm an hourly employee, I wait to get into work to drop my deuces (and yes, there's usually two)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1242 on: August 23, 2021, 01:23:00 PM »
You guys are fucked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1243 on: August 23, 2021, 01:41:55 PM »
You guys are fucked regular.

There. Fixed it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1244 on: August 23, 2021, 01:43:40 PM »
Got my third shot this morning. Compared to the tight ship DHS is running, Walgreens really sucked ass. Should have waited for another drive through clinic. I spent an hour in not hugely crowded store. I spent less than that waiting with 1000 other cars to get the first two.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1245 on: August 23, 2021, 02:12:20 PM »
Got my third shot this morning. Compared to the tight ship DHS is running, Walgreens really sucked ass. Should have waited for another drive through clinic. I spent an hour in not hugely crowded store. I spent less than that waiting with 1000 other cars to get the first two.

Really? My experience with Walgreens was quite the opposite. Was in and out with little hassle other than a grumpy pharmacist with zero bedside manner. Was this your booster? Are you already at 8 months from your first round?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: August 23, 2021, 02:13:29 PM »

Was there any process on getting that 3rd shot?  Or you just log into walgreens and sign up?  I'm not sure I've heard of any standard for getting a booster at this point.  Really just asking OOC, I don't plan on getting a booster yet. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1247 on: August 23, 2021, 02:23:25 PM »

Was there any process on getting that 3rd shot?  Or you just log into walgreens and sign up?  I'm not sure I've heard of any standard for getting a booster at this point.  Really just asking OOC, I don't plan on getting a booster yet.

Isn't it an 8 month wait between doses 2 and 3?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1248 on: August 23, 2021, 02:27:10 PM »

My father in law just walked into Walgreens and asked for a booster shot.  No questions asked.  I think stores have much more supply than they did in the spring, so you don't have to fight for appointments and book online.

Isn't it an 8 month wait between doses 2 and 3?

Immunocompromised individuals can get it ASAP. 

Average joes should wait 8 months.  That way there is enough supply for the people who got their shots in January/February to get their booster at the 8 month window (first responders, elderly, teachers, etc.)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1249 on: August 23, 2021, 03:10:05 PM »

Ding ding ding.

I wasn't aware of it until a few days ago, but the immunocompromised get a massively reduced antibody load from the MRNA vaccines. This doesn't directly correlate to vaccine efficacy as there are other factors involved, but people in my boat definitely aren't getting the protection others are. I think something like 45% of breakthrough cases are from people like me. Studies are showing that the third shot often improves things considerably, though.

Also, the average Joe shouldn't be getting boosters at all right now. Send all of America's third doses to the undeserved part of the world and maybe stave off another mutation. It may well work against us if we increase our collective immunity a tiny amount while letting half the world wait around totally exposed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: August 23, 2021, 03:12:17 PM »
Also, the average Joe shouldn't be getting boosters at all right now. Send all of America's third doses to the undeserved part of the world and maybe stave off another mutation. It may well work against us if we increase our collective immunity a tiny amount while letting half the world wait around totally exposed.

Ding ding ding.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: August 23, 2021, 03:28:13 PM »

Ding ding ding.

I wasn't aware of it until a few days ago, but the immunocompromised get a massively reduced antibody load from the MRNA vaccines. This doesn't directly correlate to vaccine efficacy as there are other factors involved, but people in my boat definitely aren't getting the protection others are. I think something like 45% of breakthrough cases are from people like me. Studies are showing that the third shot often improves things considerably, though.

I think you are the first person to have spoken to about getting a booster, so I find it interesting hence my questions.  I'm totally on board with your plan on giving our 3rd shots to other nations before using them on Americans other than the ones who need it the most.  I did, this morning, see some data from Israel about the booster being pretty beneficial to those most compromised.  I'm not anti booster, but for myself, I want to see more data on it.  Also, as a J&J recipient, I'm very interested in seeing if it's needed more or not for myself.  I've seen some conflicting articles (most with loose data, aka not peer reviewed) saying J&J definitely needs a booster or the opposite saying not needed.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1252 on: August 23, 2021, 03:34:02 PM »

Ding ding ding.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote but it's not like we will be in short supply to help others around the world. I say if it's there, take it. I felt a little guilty getting the shot before my elderly in-laws but you know what? We help take care of them so it actually made sense that we got the shot before them and besides, it was only a 2 week differential.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1253 on: August 23, 2021, 04:02:21 PM »

Ding ding ding.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1254 on: August 23, 2021, 04:10:40 PM »
I'm 7 months out from my 2nd shot. Both came from my employer, a Healthcare system, so I wonder if they will be doing clinics for the booster. With my asthma and whatnot, I'm looking forward to it. Of course, I told my family they'd be in for a nice payday if I kick it. I'll bequeath my CD collection to Stadler and wolfking.  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1255 on: August 24, 2021, 03:13:27 AM »
Ding ding ding.

Agree with this in principle, unfortunately there are logistical hurdles in supplying MRNA vaccines to some parts of the world as the cold chain isn't in place in a lot of countries. Still, the higher the percentage of people on earth who get vaccinated, the better.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1256 on: August 24, 2021, 07:00:48 AM »
If my understanding is correct, we get more bang out of having everyone get at least one shot than we do some small cluster getting three doses. 

As I get it:

1 shot gets you from "natural immunity" (whatever that might be) to about 45 or 50%
2 shots gets you from 45/50% to about 90 or 95%, which wanes over time.
3 shots gets those from whatever the 90/95% wanes to (say, 80 to 85%, though I think that is low) back to 95%.

Not talking about Bart, since he's not necessarily in this strata, but the first shot for those that haven't had any moves the needle a lot more than a booster shot.   Granted, I agree with the "if it's going to go bad, take it", but if we're going forestall the next Delta before it happens, giving booster shots in Los Angeles and NYC isn't the path forward.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1257 on: August 24, 2021, 07:39:07 AM »
As per early august (the 4th) 85% of the entire adult population of the Netherlands have had at least one shot. In general the people going for the first will do get their second as well. I am glad with how our statistics are going. Hopefully the 12-18 category will follow suit (and eventually the younger children). It seems our early statistics were accurate  (90+% of the population is willing to be vaccinated).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: August 24, 2021, 08:15:24 AM »
I watched Fauci interviewed by Anderson Cooper last night and I thought he came off terribly.  For one, he mentioned the wrong time frame.  He said he expected the US to return to normal in Fall of 2022 and then said that he miss spoke and he meant Spring of 2022.  OK, but then he kept using new words "control" the virus when we have 80-90% vaccinated, not herd immunity like everyone has been talking about the last year.  Just stop changing the words.  This is why no one trusts what he says anymore.

In the US, it's very possible we are about to hit the plateau of delta.  Cases overall are still rising, but not like they have been for the last month or two.  It's slowing down.  Hospitalizations are also slowing down overall, still rising just much much lower now.  Maybe in another week or two, in theory, we could see the cases go down, however, with schools opening, we may just see this spike be sustained for a bit longer.  But then again, with the US mostly completely open and maskless, it may not be too much of a spike with the schools.  Is it that much different than going to a packed sporting event or concert?  I guess we are going to find out soon enough.  College football is about to start back up and it looks like all the big schools will be having games at full capacity (100k+ for PSU for example) and masks won't be required since it's outdoors. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1259 on: August 24, 2021, 08:39:04 AM »
I watched Fauci interviewed by Anderson Cooper last night and I thought he came off terribly. 

Well....not being conspiratorial or meaning any type of political agenda......but Fauci has been double and triple and quadruple talking out of his mouth for the past year and a half. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can take him seriously anymore given the amount of times he's contradicted himself....sometimes within days of the last comment.

It's time to remove him as the 'face' or the spokesperson for this whole deal.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind