Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195526 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #1085 on: August 10, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »
Speaking of being corrected, Chad will be happy to know I humbly acknowledge I was wrong. My county is instituting a mask directive (it's not a mandate any longer...) for anyone over 5 in any indoor facility. Didn't think it would come to pass,and certainly not my county being the first in the state.

I take no pleasure in being right about this ... I just knew that the optimism you (and others - here and elsewhere) had about the end of 'Rona Restrictions was misplaced - I'd lived through it already up here, and the virus doesn't care about borders  ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: August 10, 2021, 02:01:24 PM »
I had to have a vaccination record in grade school.

I had to have a vaccination record where I worked in Michigan for public utilities.

I had to have a vaccination record when I worked at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

If I was lacking, I had to get the shots. 

Thank goodness!!!!!! :laugh:

So, I got both of my C19 shots earlier this year.  I still wear a mask, but I 'breathe' easier.  Better than a neighbor who got it six months ago, through no fault of his own.  He can finally walk to the end of his driveway without a walker.  That after two months with an intubator down his throat, and two months on oxygen.

A month ago, long delayed, my wife and I finally got the first of our two shingles shots.  MO FO !!!!  That shot, and the next two days, hurt like hell!!!!!

In the meantime, I just want to shop and dine and go to ball games and concerts.....masked, and mostly safe.  At least I know I won't add to the emergency wards, and possibly die, if I get this killer.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1087 on: August 10, 2021, 03:05:32 PM »
We've been pretty much shopping and dining.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: August 10, 2021, 03:13:07 PM »

I've lived life like there is nothing going on the last 3 months.  Been to multiple concerts, some very large ones.  Just flew across country to LA.  If I get sick, I get sick.  There's basically nothing I can do at this point.  I got vaccinated, I play by the rules.  I'm not going to live my depressed stay at home life like in 2020 if I don't have to. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1089 on: August 10, 2021, 03:49:30 PM »

I've lived life like there is nothing going on the last 3 months.  Been to multiple concerts, some very large ones.  Just flew across country to LA.  If I get sick, I get sick.  There's basically nothing I can do at this point.  I got vaccinated, I play by the rules.  I'm not going to live my depressed stay at home life like in 2020 if I don't have to.

Precisely, people are wanting to live out their lives and explore all the world has to offer. A lot of young people are having this mindset that Cram is.

Vaccinated or not, you're still going to catch it. Like it or not, it's been shown how impossible it is to get where the "experts" want and to eradicate it. The problem lies with how it spreads and how much our species has developed travel. If we are the vectors, we shouldn't be travelling as much as we do if it's about stopping the spread.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1090 on: August 10, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »
Yeah, we just flew across country too.

I feel like restrictions are going to tighten up as companies try and cover their asses. I actually think it'll be a miracle if the DT tour goes on as planned.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1091 on: August 10, 2021, 05:03:23 PM »

I concur.  I didn't think I was going to go to a concert, this year, and had little desires to buy tickets, but since I see shows pop up and as tickets go on sale, I think, "Ok, if people are smart about this, it should be safe to go.  I'm vaccinated and also play by the guidelines. If the shows get delayed, oh well.  I should either get a refund or go to the postponed show.  No worries."  I've lived like a hermit more or less my entire life with some exceptions.  I'm going to roll with it and follow the mandated rules and if I don't feel well, I'll take the steps needed to get better.  Simple as that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: August 10, 2021, 05:13:33 PM »

I feel like restrictions are going to tighten up as companies try and cover their asses. I actually think it'll be a miracle if the DT tour goes on as planned.

I wonder if it all comes down to how much the bands follow through with social distancing while on tour.  Which is probably really tough.  Like do they (not DT) still party and whatnot?  Do they interact with fans?  Are they vaccinated? 

I get the feeling the tours are going to at least try and go, but can easily be shut down if there is a positive case on the tour crew.  Which makes me happy that in two weeks I'll go to the first 311 show of the tour.  They seem to be pretty positive that it's going to happen so that first date looks like a lock, but the second half of the tour?  Who knows what will happen.

Also, so far all concerts I've attended have been outdoors besides the Foo Fighters which required proof of vaccination to get in. (and someone on their crew or band tested positive afterwards which made them postpone the LA show)  I've yet to go to an indoor concert without having to provide proof.  That is going to make things interesting.  As of now, I don't think it will stop me.  Those shows start up in September for me.  Will have to play it by ear. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1093 on: August 10, 2021, 05:20:07 PM »
I still don't understand if a tour crew tests positive, why a tour would have to be shut down. Can't they figure out how to quarantine the guy?

Like I mentioned, I see no reason why an asymptomatic performer can't perform socially distant.

I see Lynyrd Skynyrd postponed 4 shows because Ricky Medlocke tested positive, but it they also mentioned he was home "recovering", so I get that at least.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: August 10, 2021, 05:26:33 PM »
Chad, it was more along the lines of political leaders having the will to institute measures, not whether or not they would be necessary.

I've been living my life as "normal" as possible since I went back to work last June. Outside of my elder daughter who was remote learning for a year, not much changed in my life.  But I am mostly content to be a homebody. I do feel bad we can't take the kids to as many places as we otherwise would.

I am currently on my second vacation involving air travel. Masks aside, it doesn't feel any different than it would have in 2019.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: August 10, 2021, 06:05:28 PM »
I still don't understand if a tour crew tests positive, why a tour would have to be shut down. Can't they figure out how to quarantine the guy?

Because of the unknown.  It might not be a few days until they know he didn't spread it to others.  If they remove the positive person, and perform a show, there's a chance of spreading to a lot more people.  I *think* that's the reason.  I really don't know though, it seems a lot of these rules are being made up on the fly.  A lot of it is "an abundance of caution".  I just got an email today saying an upcoming concert is NOW going to be vaccinated or negative test only.  So these things are changing as we go.  I'm not surprised by this.  I think everyone in the business is going to do as much as possible to get the shows to happen, but also can't get wreckless with it and end up forcing everything to shut down.  It's a fine line being walked. 

I am currently on my second vacation involving air travel. Masks aside, it doesn't feel any different than it would have in 2019.

Yeah, other than the mask, it's really no different at least domestically.  I think you need a negative test to return to the country though.  Also, the delays and short staffs are still an issue with some airports/airlines.  I didn't see any of that today from my experience but I was at two of the busiest airports so it's not surprising if they are mostly staffed. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1096 on: August 10, 2021, 06:29:30 PM »

I wonder if it all comes down to how much the bands follow through with social distancing while on tour.  Which is probably really tough.  Like do they (not DT) still party and whatnot?  Do they interact with fans?  Are they vaccinated? 

I get the feeling the tours are going to at least try and go, but can easily be shut down if there is a positive case on the tour crew.  Which makes me happy that in two weeks I'll go to the first 311 show of the tour.  They seem to be pretty positive that it's going to happen so that first date looks like a lock, but the second half of the tour?  Who knows what will happen.

Also, so far all concerts I've attended have been outdoors besides the Foo Fighters which required proof of vaccination to get in. (and someone on their crew or band tested positive afterwards which made them postpone the LA show)  I've yet to go to an indoor concert without having to provide proof.  That is going to make things interesting.  As of now, I don't think it will stop me.  Those shows start up in September for me.  Will have to play it by ear.

And yet even though that Foo Fighters crew/member tested positive, they still played here. I didn't go cause I do not like Foo Fighters.

Which gives hope that regardless of a positive test/case the show will go on, only certain shows will be affected.

Which also, shows that it likely wasn't anyone important enough to affect the entire Foo Fighters tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: August 10, 2021, 06:32:50 PM »
No, that positive was from a month or so ago. They didn't play again until the band/crew were recovered.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1098 on: August 10, 2021, 06:35:38 PM »
No, that positive was from a month or so ago. They didn't play again until the band/crew were recovered.

Again, it gives hope that these won't affect the tour, only certain shows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: August 10, 2021, 06:40:55 PM »

Again, it gives hope that these won't affect the tour, only certain shows.

They didn't really have a tour, just scattered dates.  But yes, a lot of bands are still finding ways to continue.  The Green Day tour isn't stopping but Fall Out Boy missed a bunch of shows because of a positive.  Some tours are finding ways, some can't. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1100 on: August 11, 2021, 01:50:12 PM »
A band I saw just two weeks ago is cancelling stuff now.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1101 on: August 11, 2021, 02:58:02 PM »
On June 2nd our small county was at 2 cases, today we hit 100.

I guess the only silver lining I can think of is that it will eventually run through the population for better or worse......

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: August 11, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »

I guess the only silver lining I can think of is that it will eventually run through the population for better or worse......

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from??  And apologies if you've stated it before, and I missed or have forgotten.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: August 11, 2021, 03:23:48 PM »
Just tested negative for the antibodies (I was surprised)... I will be getting the first dose tomorrow of Pfzier. 

I took the antibody test as a precursor to try and be prepared for a possible rough-go after the second dose; I've had some friends have issues after the second dose when antibodies have been present pre-vaccine (one of which has had a very rare side effect involving the vision center of his brain).  Just covering as many bases as I can and making the most informed decision that I can.  It would be nice to see all the data available without the polarization, but I think I've seen enough to make my own decision.

I'm only 41 and in what I feel is very good shape, so we'll see.  One of the personal data points that helped me decide is the situation with my wife's cousin... early 50s, non-smoker, healthy, and with no underlying conditions known was diagnosed 10-days ago with COVID.  He is now on a vent and struggling mightily; he coughed so frequent and so hard that somehow a small hole formed in his intestine (had to have emergency surgery for that).
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1104 on: August 11, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »
I had my second dose today, and it's been quite mild on the symptoms. Mostly local inflammation. Glad to be finally vaccinated though.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1105 on: August 11, 2021, 07:46:11 PM »
I got my 2nd Pfizer shot in the middle of January and am starting to wonder just how much protection I currently have as this Delta variant is starting to wreak havoc.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1106 on: August 11, 2021, 07:48:44 PM »
I got my 2nd Pfizer shot in the middle of January and am starting to wonder just how much protection I currently have as this Delta variant is starting to wreak havoc.

It seems that you should be ok unless you're quite old and have a preexisting condition.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1107 on: August 12, 2021, 07:19:29 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from??  And apologies if you've stated it before, and I missed or have forgotten.

I live in Mid-Missouri near Jefferson City. Our county has a population of about 17K. Certainly not as severe as other parts of the nation but enough to keep me from venturing out. I will say that no one gives anyone a hassle if they are wearing a mask.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1108 on: August 12, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »

Protection from Symptomatic Covid is between 60-85% depending on what source you trust, protection from hospitalisation is 96%.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: August 12, 2021, 09:41:37 AM »
Ontario is starting to report cases/hospitalizations/ICU by vax status now as well, so that will give some much needed insight of the real impacts beyond just test positivity.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1110 on: August 12, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »
I see so many friends on DTF from other countries just getting their 2nd shot and it makes me sad here in America because we had a leg up to beat this virus down but so many are not getting the vaccine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1111 on: August 12, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
I see so many friends on DTF from other countries just getting their 2nd shot and it makes me sad here in America because we had a leg up to beat this virus down but so many are not getting the vaccine.

That's what happens when you have a country adamant about peoples liberty and freedoms.

You can't have both security and freedoms. You have to trade one for the other.

For protection and safety from anything, you need to give up your personal freedoms for the other to protect you and to keep you safe. If you want freedom, you are left to your own defenses for security and protection.

This is where the dilemma lies as people want freedom and the ability to think for themselves and fend for themselves while others want the dependency on the other to protect them and keep them safe, which means you are not responsible for your own safety and you therefore do not think for yourself as the other thinks for you and determines what is safe for you and others it must protect and keep safe.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: August 12, 2021, 10:06:11 AM »
The company I work for announced this morning they are requiring vaccination.  My team is all fully vaxxed, so no biggie for us, but I expect this will kind of force the hand of a lot of people.  I've got no issue with it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1113 on: August 12, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »
The company I work for announced this morning they are requiring vaccination.  My team is all fully vaxxed, so no biggie for us, but I expect this will kind of force the hand of a lot of people.  I've got no issue with it.

So then people are being forced to get this. And by using their livelihoods as collateral. You just said, force of hand which is force.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1114 on: August 12, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »

So then people are being forced to get this. And by using their livelihoods as collateral. You just said, force of hand which is force.

They aren't being forced. They're free to walk away. They aren't being "forced" to get vaxxed any more than I'm being "forced" to put on pants and leather shoes in the morning to go to my office.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1115 on: August 12, 2021, 10:41:28 AM »

They aren't being forced. They're free to walk away. They aren't being "forced" to get vaxxed any more than I'm being "forced" to put on pants and leather shoes in the morning to go to my office.

I'm usually a personal liberty guy, but I'm with Chino.  You have the RIGHT to pursue happiness, but you have no RIGHT to your job, and certainly not with any company.   I have no problem if they make that a requirement for hire, any more than I do any other requirement for employment (drug free, for example).   If you don't like that condition, you can apply elsewhere.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: August 12, 2021, 10:49:21 AM »
I think that once Pfizer gets the FDA nod, many people on the fence (as I was) will go ahead and get poked.  I'd calculate that we'll also see more corporate mandates when Pfizer is fully approved.

We (society I mean) should be able to review the data openly, without any slant of agenda from the providers of that data, and make our own individual decisions.  I'm personally not that hot on mandates, but it is what it is.  As harsh as it is, Chino is right... people are free to walk away if they feel that strongly.  It's not as if non-vax are being threatened with legal or government action.  Yet.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: August 12, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »

I may have used the words forced the hand, but that's because some people will value their job more.  No one is actually forced. They have every right to protect their employees.  In the e-mail, it also said after discussing with experts, they expect variant waves to be normal for years to come.  They will also be setting up shot clinics in the bigger offices and have nurses in those bigger offices to provide tests on site for those who may be feeling sick.  It just looks like they are trying to set up for the "new normal".  All this is simple, get the jab.  I'm totally good with this decision and the extra mile they are going with making it simple to get the jab and have nurses on site. (none of this really applies to me, I work remotely and not in any of our office buildings)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1118 on: August 12, 2021, 11:55:23 AM »
I think that once Pfizer gets the FDA nod, many people on the fence (as I was) will go ahead and get poked.  I'd calculate that we'll also see more corporate mandates when Pfizer is fully approved.

We (society I mean) should be able to review the data openly, without any slant of agenda from the providers of that data, and make our own individual decisions.  I'm personally not that hot on mandates, but it is what it is.  As harsh as it is, Chino is right... people are free to walk away if they feel that strongly.  It's not as if non-vax are being threatened with legal or government action.  Yet.

I'm not so sure it will influence a lot of individuals, but it'll surely give the green light for a great deal of companies and institutions on the fence.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1119 on: August 12, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »

That's what happens when you have a country adamant about peoples liberty and freedoms.

You can't have both security and freedoms. You have to trade one for the other.

For protection and safety from anything, you need to give up your personal freedoms for the other to protect you and to keep you safe. If you want freedom, you are left to your own defenses for security and protection.

This is where the dilemma lies as people want freedom and the ability to think for themselves and fend for themselves while others want the dependency on the other to protect them and keep them safe, which means you are not responsible for your own safety and you therefore do not think for yourself as the other thinks for you and determines what is safe for you and others it must protect and keep safe.

No it's plain ignorance  Ben. Most are educated enough to do real homework not listen to their slanted figureheads who politicize it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC