Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195323 times)

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #1015 on: August 06, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »
My job was set to return to office right after Labor Day, just got an email today that it's pushed back with no new target date. Earliest we'll get our next update is October 1st and we'll have at least 30 days notice before offices are open, so it sounds like early November at the soonest for us.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1016 on: August 06, 2021, 01:33:25 PM »
Yeah, the office I contract to pushed it back to February for all employees who aren't auto techs or drivers.

On a side note, Harris County reported that the average age of hospitalized covid patients was 20  :'(

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1017 on: August 06, 2021, 01:39:35 PM »
Yes. And regular patients on recliners and wheelchairs in hallways. We have to operate like a MASH unit during war time.

Feel for you going through that, really sorry. All I can say is that I hope we get out of all this. It seemed we were on the other side of the hill but clearly things are getting worse.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1018 on: August 06, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »
So more and more employers are requiring the vaccine to maintain employment.  Most allow for health/religious exemptions.  Some are going to allow weekly testing for those who do not want the vaccine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/united-airlines-will-require-all-67-000-u-s-employees-n1276156?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

I have to say that while I do not believe in forcing people to get vaccinated, I do believe in the ability for an employer to ensure the safety of their employees.  From comments I'm reading, it seems many people believe they have a "right" to employment.

I'm happy to see United take this stance.  Interestingly, their rate of vaccination among employees appears higher than among healthcare workers.   :huh:

It's one of those instances where having a free market can be a good thing... Want to work? Get a Vax... And you're absolutely right that an employer has a right to protect their staff and customers. asses from being sued by someone who got Covid working or shopping there..

Fixed..

That's the only reason why businesses are giving a crap about Covid and having to vaccinate.

If nobody was allowed to sue, I am sure they wouldn't care at all whether someone is vaccinated or not. As that is not their reliability to worry about. That would be on the customer to know the risks involved in waking inside their business.

Businesses I am sure are tired of having to change their overall processes of how they do business. There isn't a permanent process now, it's constantly shifting to something new the business has to abide by. Some arent able to accommodate to the new policies in place as it would take time for them to set up the process to do business.

It's rough on the small businesses to accommodate to these conditions. Some do not have the available resources to adapt to these and those were the ones that ended up closing their doors.

You gotta wonder when the medical insurance industry will play their hand... I mean the cost of one covid patient in the ice for two weeks has to be equal to a few thousand vaccines... The math has to play out heavily in favor of vaccination for them, they gotta have something in the works. Just pondering out loud.

That just makes me wonder why healthcare has to be so expensive and not something we could just use easily without having to pay someone for all us humans to utilize?

I find that aspect one of the messed up things of our current world.

How is it, healthcare is a privilege and people are wanting to use it as a privilege and deny others access to it all because that person does not want to take some new life saving technology?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1019 on: August 06, 2021, 02:43:31 PM »
You'll get zero argument from me on that last point.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1020 on: August 06, 2021, 03:01:39 PM »
You'll get zero argument from me on that last point.

I'm not looking for one. Just pondering out loud as well.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1021 on: August 06, 2021, 03:47:12 PM »
REO Speedwagon has canceled two shows on their tour due to individuals within the tour testing positive.  One of those shows was to be at the Sturgis rally. 

This is Kevin Cronin's response to his own fans' social media comments reacting to the Sturgis cancelation, equating REO to sending a political message.   We are in a sad state when the musicians that you love, who are performing for you, have to tell you to stop being an idiot.

Hi friends, as I sit alone in quarantine, dealing with the reduced, yet uncomfortable symptoms of Covid-19, and reading the comments regarding the shows we made the painful decision to cancel this weekend, I am struck by two things.

First, on behalf of myself, our entire band, crew, and management, I would like to thank the majority of people whose comments were understanding, supportive, and empathetic. I am so touched by the outpouring of positive energy. You are awesome.

Second, I have never personally responded to Facebook comments in the past. But as our band goes through this difficult period, the thoughtless, misinformed, and nasty comments I read this morning pushed my patience over the edge. I encourage lively discussion of differences of opinion. That is part of what makes the United States the Golden Country.

But our organization is living through Covid, and to hear people spouting ridiculous conspiracy theories, is more than I can bear right now. To those people: Call me back when you catch it. If you are not vaccinated you are in for a world of hurt. And if you take the vaccine, while you can still test positive, your experience will likely be mild by comparison.

This is a difficult medical, public health and safety issue. Within the REO organization there is a wide spectrum of political views. To connect our decision to cancel shows to some political agenda is absurd, insulting, and quite simply wrong…kc

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1022 on: August 06, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »
Good for him. That's a great response.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1024 on: August 06, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »
Has anyone considered that computer bots can also contribute to negative comments and false information? People don't know this but we've been at computer warfare for years now. I know Cyber security people that fight this everyday and I know computer geeks whose test labs get attacked from bots from Russia to China. That and the very real fact that there are people here in our own country that will spread misinformation and try to overthrow our Democracy.

My point? It wouldn't surprise me one bit that REO Speed Wagon was subjected to this kind of attack and that the people criticizing them were on the other side of the world.

As for COVID, encourage people to talk with their doctor and not their Facebook when considering getting vaccinated. The vaccine is our only way out.

I fear that DT in Nov. won't happen because people are too stubborn about getting vaccinated.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: August 06, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »
Has anyone considered that computer bots can also contribute to negative comments and false information? People don't know this but we've been at computer warfare for years now. I know Cyber security people that fight this everyday and I know computer geeks whose test labs get attacked from bots from Russia to China. That and the very real fact that there are people here in our own country that will spread misinformation and try to overthrow our Democracy.

My point? It wouldn't surprise me one bit that REO Speed Wagon was subjected to this kind of attack and that the people criticizing them were on the other side of the world.

As for COVID, encourage people to talk with their doctor and not their Facebook when considering getting vaccinated. The vaccine is our only way out.

I fear that DT in Nov. won't happen because people are too stubborn about getting vaccinated.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if Russia was using their bots to continue to create divide in the US on social media.  This would not be anything new, but we typically only associate it with politics, but certainly is in play not only for covid but basically anything that is divisive. 

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1026 on: August 06, 2021, 04:42:50 PM »
I doubt it.  Look at who listens to classic rock:   white, older, Christians.  Which demographic is very anti-democrat and anti-COVID?   White, older Christians. 

I saw the same kinds of comments a year ago from fans of a local classic rock tribute band, whose singer is an out and proud Republican and Trump supporter. 

REO Speedwagon was not the victim of a cyber attack.  They just have a fanbase that is predominantly conservative.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: August 06, 2021, 04:49:37 PM »
I doubt it.  Look at who listens to classic rock:   white, older, Christians.  Which demographic is very anti-democrat and anti-COVID?   White, older Christians. 

I saw the same kinds of comments a year ago from fans of a local classic rock tribute band, whose singer is an out and proud Republican and Trump supporter. 

REO Speedwagon was not the victim of a cyber attack.  They just have a fanbase that is predominantly conservative.

I'm not sure they would focus on REO (and I'm not at all familiar with this story), but in general I don't think it's out of the ordinary for bots to create divide on social media.  It's already well documented that it happens.  I do think there are likely legit people going off on the anti-covid/vax thing though.  I see it with people I know so it's definitely not all bot driven. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1028 on: August 06, 2021, 04:52:24 PM »
I might get one show in before things shut down again. Next Friday is the District 97 show in Chicago. When they scheduled it, they made it a socially distant show capped at 50 people. As of now, it's still on. Was hoping to not have to wear a mask, but I fear that might be out the window.

Now Primus next month, we'll see.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1029 on: August 06, 2021, 04:55:38 PM »

No, it's not all bot driven but one can't rule it out and all I am saying is that one has to be vigilant and if you get accused of being fat or ugly.....consider the source.

How does one know what the politics of the fanbase of REO leans towards???????

I'm not sure they would focus on REO (and I'm not at all familiar with this story), but in general I don't think it's out of the ordinary for bots to create divide on social media.  It's already well documented that it happens.  I do think there are likely legit people going off on the anti-covid/vax thing though.  I see it with people I know so it's definitely not all bot driven.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: August 06, 2021, 05:17:51 PM »
I might get one show in before things shut down again. Next Friday is the District 97 show in Chicago. When they scheduled it, they made it a socially distant show capped at 50 people. As of now, it's still on. Was hoping to not have to wear a mask, but I fear that might be out the window.

Saw Guns N roses last night, huge stadium concert.  Then today the sold out concert for Limp Bizkit got cancelled, rumor is the bassist tested positive right before the show.  I don't think the tours are going to get cancelled because of covid at this point.  Just too much business to lose and a general sense that covid is here to stay and we need to live with it.  However, seeing shows get cancelled/postponed on a small scale is going to be a thing for awhile.  As well as international bands being able to tour in the US.   

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1031 on: August 06, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »
Yeah, shows will be a case by case basis from here on out, as will most things. The toothpaste is out of the tube man.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1032 on: August 06, 2021, 05:40:32 PM »
How does one know what the politics of the fanbase of REO leans towards???????

Why don't you wear a Biden shirt to Sturgis and see how the crowd treats you?    ;)

Classic rock fans tend to be white, suburban conservatives (like me).   I have no doubt that many of the comments came from real people, who have been emboldened in speaking unfiltered over the last four years.  I live in a very red county and see it daily in local social media groups and definitely offline.

I just bought tickets for Last in Line at a small club near my house.  I hope nothing gets shut back down.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1033 on: August 06, 2021, 06:37:22 PM »

Saw Guns N roses last night, huge stadium concert.  Then today the sold out concert for Limp Bizkit got cancelled, rumor is the bassist tested positive right before the show.  I don't think the tours are going to get cancelled because of covid at this point.  Just too much business to lose and a general sense that covid is here to stay and we need to live with it.  However, seeing shows get cancelled/postponed on a small scale is going to be a thing for awhile.  As well as international bands being able to tour in the US.   

Of course they're gonna go on with the shows. They've invested a lot into making them happen, that if there is a way to let them continue they will do it.

One way, one band decided to continue on with the show was to not allow their non-vaccinated drummer to play shows and even be in the studio with them. They found a way around it, and it's unfortunate, but I am sure there is no hard feelings regarding the band members themselves. It's just how it has to be, and that's what I got with the drummers statement.

I wondered about this situation when they announced the shows were going to happen.

If anything, it's up to the band and their managers to decide what's best for their band.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: August 06, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »
My job was set to return to office right after Labor Day, just got an email today that it's pushed back with no new target date. Earliest we'll get our next update is October 1st and we'll have at least 30 days notice before offices are open, so it sounds like early November at the soonest for us.

We got a similar email a few days ago.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: August 06, 2021, 06:47:44 PM »
If anything, it's up to the band and their managers to decide what's best for their band.

That and local rules and regulations. I doubt LB wanted to cancel tonight, but I'm sure the venue and rules said you cannot perform if you have covid which makes sense.  My point is, its not just the bands and their managers who decide these things. There's been no official word yet, but the rumors range from the bassist to have tested positive (very possible) to a security guard being positive (I doubt). Either way, I'd bet the band and management would love for the show to happen but the local rules probably force this to be cancelled.  I don't blame them, I'm only upset because it impacted my friday night plans that I was looking forward to and that they aren't being transparent (yet, we will see). Fred Durst came out and took pics and talked to the fans who stuck around so he seems fine.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1036 on: August 06, 2021, 06:53:45 PM »

Let's say the bass player or the drummer tested positive. Unless they were actually too sick to perform, there's no reason they can't maintain a physical distance from the rest of the band or even the audience.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: August 06, 2021, 07:00:18 PM »

Let's say the bass player or the drummer tested positive. Unless they were actually too sick to perform, there's no reason they can't maintain a physical distance from the rest of the band or even the audience.

What I'm interested in, is say the drummer is positive.  Sure he can stand on the side stage, (have someone fill in, use backing tracks and no bassist). But does he stay on tour? Do the rest of the band take the tour bus with him? Does he have to bunker down in a hotel in Asbury Park until he tests negative, and are all the next shows postponed? Do they just pack it up, travel to the next state that allows them to play?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1038 on: August 06, 2021, 07:02:02 PM »
No band will perform when another bandmate is positive. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Harmony

« Reply #1039 on: August 06, 2021, 07:04:15 PM »
Don't know if anyone here follows Jason Isbell on Twitter but he got into a pretty big dust-up with Marc Broussard today.  Broussard called Jason "bourgois" for being in favor of proof of vax or negative Covid test to come to his show.

Hilarity ensued.

But seriously, the "fuck your feelings" crowd sure have a lot of feelings about being asked to protect their fellow human beings.

Hospitals all over America are on divert because they are full up of unvaccinated Covid patients.  This means if you have chest pain, symptoms of a stroke, get in a car accident, or any other emergency health care problem putting you in urgent need you're fucked.

But damn it, I'm not going to take no free test to see a concert!   :\
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: August 06, 2021, 07:10:01 PM »

I agree normally, but some band members can be replaced on the spot. Not saying it should have happened here, just saying we've seen other bands perform without members who were sick :cough: nightwish :cough:

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1041 on: August 06, 2021, 08:03:59 PM »

I agree normally, but some band members can be replaced on the spot. Not saying it should have happened here, just saying we've seen other bands perform without members who were sick :cough: nightwish :cough:

Robb Flynn from Machine Head posted a fantastic article about musicians being put into uncomfortable positions while touring, since the vaccines aren't foolproof and venues aren't following protocols or CDC guidance:   https://www.machinehead1.com/blogs/the-general-journals/touring-during-a-pandemic

I'm not so sure that it's going to be as easy as plugging a new person into the sick person's role.  The article says that bands should really have a backup plan ready in case someone catches COVID.  Maybe some do.  Maybe some don't.  REO didn't - it looks like they had an outbreak among band and crew and they're cancelling shows.

From the little I've seen, bands are feeling that ONE single positive case in a touring company (band, tour manager, roadies, bus driver, etc.) will shut an entire tour down for good.  Maybe they don't have the money to have backup crew available at a moment's notice or touring with them as a precaution.  Chuck Billy from Testament just put out a little PSA about their tour, asking fans to wear masks to the shows if they're not vaccinated.  He very bluntly said that if anyone tests positive, the tour is OVER. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 10:32:38 PM by Grappler »

Offline emtee

« Reply #1042 on: August 07, 2021, 04:19:07 AM »
Another new record for FL. 23,747 in a single day.

I see those concert pics and think to myself, maybe hundreds of those attendees are going to get it. Then I think about schools opening down here next week. Delta is hard on the kids. 3 to 4 weeks after school starts, we could have 30K new cases a day or more. Then I think, when will this ever end?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: August 07, 2021, 06:24:35 AM »
'Wish I could go to that mask burning gathering' proponent dies of covid days later :facepalm:.....

https://www.thedailybeast.com/h-scott-apley-chair-of-galveston-county-texas-gop-mocked-covid-days-before-he-died-of-virus
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1044 on: August 07, 2021, 08:36:52 AM »

I see those concert pics and think to myself, maybe hundreds of those attendees are going to get it. Then I think about schools opening down here next week. Delta is hard on the kids. 3 to 4 weeks after school starts, we could have 30K new cases a day or more. Then I think, when will this ever end?

I saw a stat yesterday that said the average age of a covid patient in Houston area hospitals was 20..I mean damn, how does that not get people's attention?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1045 on: August 07, 2021, 11:10:23 AM »
Boy do I feel great about my conference in Dallas in October and Transatlantic in April in Tennessee. Oof.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1046 on: August 07, 2021, 12:23:23 PM »

Are you seeing many kids at your hospital?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #1047 on: August 07, 2021, 02:38:00 PM »

Are you seeing many kids at your hospital?

Unfortunately, yes. Far too many. Here is an article that sums it up. We really have to be careful with the kids.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/07/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1048 on: August 09, 2021, 06:22:49 AM »

I saw a stat yesterday that said the average age of a covid patient in Houston area hospitals was 20..I mean damn, how does that not get people's attention?

Well - and I am in full support of your point here - that needs to be data that people KNOW.   From what little press I hear/see, the information being put forth by our Fourth Estate is woefully lacking in terms of influencing and informing.  It's less about giving the RIGHT information to drive better decision-making than it is bolstering preconceived opinions.  I'm paying attention, and I didn't know that until I read your post.   

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1049 on: August 09, 2021, 06:56:36 AM »
I'm really quite confused about all the articles you see about children these days. Yes more of them seem to be getting hospitalized but I just have to wonder is that because they are one of the bigger unvaccinated populations? And are the outcomes worse than these children see from any other type of respiratory infections that ravage schools and daycares year after year?

It just feels like we are not getting to that level with the data. There's the alarmist headline about "think of the children" and that's it. As a parent it's hard to make a decision about what risks you're comfortable with when the media seem so alarmist without ever wanting to give the full story.