Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195429 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #840 on: July 26, 2021, 04:32:32 PM »
Might want to check your sources

Thanks for the suggestion.  But that article incorrectly implies that I am somehow relying on some Tiktok video, which I am not (and don't believe I have ever seen/heard). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Harmony

« Reply #841 on: July 26, 2021, 04:34:27 PM »
Might want to check your sources

Thanks for the suggestion.  But that article incorrectly implies that I am somehow relying on some Tiktok video, which I am not (and don't believe I have ever seen/heard).

No that (Tik Tok) is just one example of how misinformation gets spread around.  If you'd delve a bit further into the article it provides the exact quotes and context Biden and Harris made on the subject.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #842 on: July 26, 2021, 04:43:57 PM »
Taking it to P/R
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline darkshade

« Reply #843 on: July 26, 2021, 05:34:23 PM »
More and more Governors have signed legislation restricting how businesses can run their business with regards to covid. I thought republicans were pro-business?    ???

Spoiler alert. Both parties are filled with extremely corrupt, hypocritical people who care only for themselves and more importantly, those financing them.

"politicians" would have been quicker to type out.

I will correct myself to say that Governors are restricting masked mandates to Government run offices and not necessarily businesses so that was my mistake so I am here to stand corrected.

And while I admit that both sides are corrupt, I see one side wanting to end this pandemic AND encouraging people to get the vaccine, while the other side has been discouraging that until recently.

COVID 19 sucks (keeping the subject on topic).

Like who? I see Republicans pushing for people to get Trump's vaccine, and I see Democrats pushing for people to get Biden's vaccine.

There is only one vaccine. Tucker, Gaytz, Greene have all been talking negative about vaccines. Same with Trump. Name one Democrat that says don't get the vaccine.

COVID 19 sucks!

I know there's "only" one vaccine, but all the Trump haters, who called him Hitler for 4-5 years, rushed out to get it, and yet Biden is the one the press is saying 'saved the day' in regards to vaccine rollouts...

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #845 on: July 26, 2021, 05:47:55 PM »
1. Not quite the same thing as what Bosk said, but still, not a great look I admit.

2. Any further discussion of Trump, Biden, Kamela, whomever goes to P/R. Final reminder.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #846 on: July 26, 2021, 05:52:31 PM »
Well you can't trust anything a politician says especially during an election and one so close to election day. Either side.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshade

« Reply #847 on: July 26, 2021, 05:53:34 PM »
Also interesting that Biden said "Facebook is killing people" last week, in regards to covid 'misinformation' yet his own press secretary admitted on camera, with all her Neo-Marxist babble, "So we're regularly making sure social media platforms are aware of the latest narratives, dangerous to public health that we and many other Americans are seeing across all of social and traditional media. And we work to engage with them to better understand the enforcement of social media platform policies"
and she also said that the White House is "flagging problematic posts for Facebook that spread disinformation"

better quality
https://cbnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/11930586556_dd9e143944_k-1-1536x1019.jpg

Offline darkshade

« Reply #848 on: July 26, 2021, 05:54:35 PM »
1. Not quite the same thing as what Bosk said, but still, not a great look I admit.

2. Any further discussion of Trump, Biden, Kamela, whomever goes to P/R. Final reminder.

Please allow me to post there.
I've sent requests multiple times.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #849 on: July 26, 2021, 05:55:52 PM »
not for nothing, covid is political, so to have a thread about it and NOT debate politics is like saying we're going to bake a cake, and NOT use ingredients.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #850 on: July 26, 2021, 06:00:49 PM »
XJ- take it to PR...

Everyone- fucking ignores him

:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #851 on: July 26, 2021, 06:04:05 PM »

I was paraphrasing.  But I do recall stronger comments made in less formal settings than what is quoted there.  But regardless, (1) the particulars aren't relevant to my point, which is that there is no need to politicize it (at least, in this thread, although I would also argue that it need not be politicized in any context) and try to point fingers, because those fingers can easily be pointed in any direction.  And also:

This.  Sorry for taking us farther down that tangent in responding to Hunnus.

Please allow me to post there.
I've sent requests multiple times.

And those requests have been rejected, for what should be obvious reasons.  If you have questions about that, you can ask privately and you will be responded to privately.  But for the last time, this thread is not meant for political discussion.  As I have said numerous times, I try to be understanding and give a little leeway for topics that naturally tend to gravitate that direction.  Sometimes, it's hard to avoid keeping the discussion from occasionally straying that direction.  I get it.  But you keep repeatedly and deliberately taking the discussion that direction, and did so here even after being expressly told by XJ not to.  This is your final warning on the subject, and if you keep making this discussion political, you will be banned.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #852 on: July 26, 2021, 06:04:32 PM »
XJ- take it to PR...

Everyone- fucking ignores him

:lol

Zip it, Trump lover!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #853 on: July 26, 2021, 06:05:25 PM »
:RJ:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #854 on: July 26, 2021, 06:06:23 PM »
:thrustybosk:

:(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: July 26, 2021, 06:12:43 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline darkshade

« Reply #856 on: July 26, 2021, 06:16:45 PM »

And those requests have been rejected, for what should be obvious reasons.  If you have questions about that, you can ask privately and you will be responded to privately.

PM sent

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #857 on: July 26, 2021, 06:18:30 PM »
:thrustybosk:

:(

There is only one thrusty on these boards...

Offline emtee

« Reply #858 on: July 27, 2021, 02:49:19 AM »
Brutal surge down here in Florida. Every county is in the high category. We are back at peak levels again and 99% are not vaccinated. Following past trends, the northern states will experience what we are feeling in a few weeks. Buckle up and get ready.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #859 on: July 27, 2021, 05:31:50 AM »
More and more Governors have signed legislation restricting how businesses can run their business with regards to covid. I thought republicans were pro-business?    ???

Spoiler alert. Both parties are filled with extremely corrupt, hypocritical people who care only for themselves and more importantly, those financing them.

"politicians" would have been quicker to type out.

I will correct myself to say that Governors are restricting masked mandates to Government run offices and not necessarily businesses so that was my mistake so I am here to stand corrected.

And while I admit that both sides are corrupt, I see one side wanting to end this pandemic AND encouraging people to get the vaccine, while the other side has been discouraging that until recently.

COVID 19 sucks (keeping the subject on topic).

Yep, sides.  Because that's how we'll stop this.  Pointing fingers and mocking those that don't think like us.  How's that worked so far?   

I know PLENTY of Republicans, and the vast majority not only advocate for the vaccine, but have received it.    The two people I know best in my life that have refused the vaccine?  DEMOCRATS.   Now, I know full well that's not statistically relevant, it's anecdotal at best, and not in keeping with the initial flurry of poll results (which we're not seeing a ton of reference too, largely because people smarter than us realized it was a misleading correlation rather than causation), but still, broad-brushes don't get us anywhere except more polarized, and more dug in to our positions. 

This is not a political post.  This is a COVID post.  We know that the best way to get people to take the vaccine is to build up it's efficacy and it's safety, so let's do that instead of beating down and mocking those that aren't as "enlightened" (in quotes for sarcasm) as us. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: July 27, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »
Brutal surge down here in Florida. Every county is in the high category. We are back at peak levels again and 99% are not vaccinated. Following past trends, the northern states will experience what we are feeling in a few weeks. Buckle up and get ready.

I think in a few weeks we will see the cases go back down.  Following the UK timeline, we are a few weeks behind and they are going down over there.  We will see.  But typically these spikes last a couple months, we are probably peaking now or soon. 

What's really important though, death counts have not been going up.  It's been really steady under 300 daily for the last month.  It may go up in a few weeks as it lags cases by a couple weeks, but I think this is a sign that the vaccine works.  It doesn't prevent infections, but it does a great job preventing death. 

And because of that, I really don't see the point in spreading fear.  There's certainly pockets in the US and many countries in the rest of the world that have legitimate concerns because of the lack of access to vaccines (or hesitancy here in the US), but locally in the US, I just don't see much reason to be worried about the near future. 

Also remember, the entire country is basically back to being fully opened without masks while the most contagious variant is running wild yet we aren't seeing a spike in deaths.  We are doing OK (could be much much better without the misinformation though).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #861 on: July 27, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »
From an addiction recovery friend on Facebook..

It's funny how so many folks we know use to put shit in our bodies without knowing what was in it but are afraid to get a vaccine. I was talking to someone the other day who use to shoot up with delta water but won't get the vaccine
. Can't make this shit up

I got nothing... :lolpalm:

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #862 on: July 27, 2021, 09:33:46 AM »
From an addiction recovery friend on Facebook..

It's funny how so many folks we know use to put shit in our bodies without knowing what was in it but are afraid to get a vaccine. I was talking to someone the other day who use to shoot up with delta water but won't get the vaccine
. Can't make this shit up

I got nothing... :lolpalm:

Addicition is so strong that you just don't care what you take, even though it is poisonous, toxic, and can kill you. The addicition causes one to forgo any sense of risk and would go to great lengths to have the fix. People end up stealing, being violent, and other types of behaviors that person would not be engaging in if not for their addiction.

When one recovers from Addiction. One then becomes aware of how much crazy ass shit they put into and did to their bodies. One realizes, how the hell am I alive?...

The addict was not aware, nor cared, that they were shooting up Delta Water. Their main priority and concern was to get that high and feel good.

The recovered addict is very aware, and highly concerned, over what they put into and do to their bodies. There's lots of things a recovering addict has to avoid just to not relapse.

It doesn't surprise me at all, if a recovering addict has concerns about the vaccines, and decides not to take it.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #863 on: July 27, 2021, 09:59:06 AM »
Yeah... No. Speaking from over 10 years in recovery circles, while a few may change stripes in such a manner, moat issues like antivax don't change because of some super heightened awareness of what we put in our bodies. I've sponsored more than a few people, and they all remained of the same firm beliefs about pretty much everything post recovery. Such assumptions are just false.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #864 on: July 27, 2021, 09:59:19 AM »
The whole 'experimental drug' argument from the folks who won't get vaccinated is just silly to me. Outside of the obvious reasons of it not really being experimental at all.....a large portion of the worlds population holds a smart phone to their ears and keeps them in their pockets near 90% of every day. We really don't have much long term data that truly shows the effects of wifi signals or any of the other invisible wave lengths or whatever that smart phones emit.

There's a chance that in 20-30 years we see some form of new tumor or cancer associated with this crap that slowly radiates and cooks through our bodies but no one talks about THAT experiment
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #865 on: July 27, 2021, 10:07:32 AM »
The whole 'experimental drug' argument from the folks who won't get vaccinated is just silly to me. Outside of the obvious reasons of it not really being experimental at all.....a large portion of the worlds population holds a smart phone to their ears and keeps them in their pockets near 90% of every day. We really don't have much long term data that truly shows the effects of wifi signals or any of the other invisible wave lengths or whatever that smart phones emit.

There's a chance that in 20-30 years we see some form of new tumor or cancer associated with this crap that slowly radiates and cooks through our bodies but no one talks about THAT experiment

Actually UC Berkeley just posted a study confirming a correlation between cell phones and cancer

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #866 on: July 27, 2021, 10:15:02 AM »

Actually UC Berkeley just posted a study confirming a correlation between cell phones and cancer

Not surprising. I'm genuinely concerned about it. Not for me really....but my kids essentially growing up with all this wireless crap around them. It just hasn't been a technology long enough for us to truly understand the effects it has on our bodies. That should be WAY more concerning than a vaccine that was developed by people who's only agenda was/is to stop a global pandemic.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #867 on: July 27, 2021, 10:16:35 AM »

It's due to the fact it used new science technology involving compounds that are used for our biological basis. And people are afraid of what the consequences are for Patenting Life...

mRNA is brand new technology that science has developed.

Did people suddenly all drive cars when they were first developed? Did people suddenly jump on the Hindenburg?

Peoples awareness and concerns for this type of Science Technology is in that it has never been implemented and executed among the masses, until this moment in our human history (that we know of).

People do talk about Cancer causing radiation waves in Cellphones. That's the entire basis for 5G and it's effects that people are clamoring about now. They also talk about those in the Microwaves.

Also people talk about the Energy that comes from the sun. Solar Energy and Radiation waves strong enough to potentially fry our Electronic Technology. The ozone, and other layers in our sky, protect us from these harmful Rays and Waves.

In short. Some people's concerns has to do with the advancement of technology and some don't see any good coming from it.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #868 on: July 27, 2021, 10:19:02 AM »

Not surprising. I'm genuinely concerned about it. Not for me really....but my kids essentially growing up with all this wireless crap around them. It just hasn't been a technology long enough for us to truly understand the effects it has on our bodies. That should be WAY more concerning than a vaccine that was developed by people who's only agenda was/is to stop a global pandemic.
Yup... Totally agree.

And I'd likewise be concerned for myself except for me I'm pretty sure whatever cancers I develop will come from my extensive use of the two top carcinogenic substances, tobacco and alcohol.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: July 27, 2021, 10:37:56 AM »
In short. Some people's concerns has to do with the advancement of technology and some don't see any good coming from it.

As opposed to all the 'good' that comes from leaving yourself more exposed to a global pandemic inducing virus??
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: July 27, 2021, 10:40:09 AM »

Funny enough, though, we don't go around telling people that use cellphones that they are stupid deplorable selfish Republican assholes.  If anything, the focus is and always has been on the efficacy of hands free, how it is safer (to drive), more convenient, more liberating.   

For the 100th time:  "How Risky Is It, Anyway?" by Dave Ropeik.  We're NOT GOOD at this, and don't - generally - assess risk in a purely mathematical, logical way. 

BAFFLING to me for all the people here and elsewhere that claim to be science-first and data-driven that there's so little actual science in the "how do we fix this".   We KNOW what works.  No. 1:  promote the CRAP out of the safety and efficacy of the vaccine.    In my old town, Enfield (the same town where the guy around the corner had the "F*** Trump" sign on his front lawn), this past week, the local McDonald's had free vaccines in their dining room.  Enough people came that it made the local news (there were incentives offered as well; Mickey D's gift cards and a drawing).  I'm not sure what that actually tells us, but it tells us something at least about the availability of the vaccine (perceived or otherwise) and the context in which the vaccine is given (perceived or otherwise).   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:46:05 AM by Stadler »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: July 27, 2021, 11:21:26 AM »
I don't disagree with the premise of your first statement there, Bill ... but it's not a terribly sound analogy.
Using a cellphone around someone doesn't represent a known (albeit, potential) public health risk.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: July 27, 2021, 11:21:57 AM »

As opposed to all the 'good' that comes from leaving yourself more exposed to a global pandemic inducing virus??

This advancement was worked on in labs for decades.  People think the vaccine was rushed.  They just had to tweak it and test results first to make sure it would work against the virus.

Offline emtee

« Reply #873 on: July 27, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »
Just wait until the masses find out about CRISPR gene altering. We are on the cusp of astounding possibilities but our ethical and moral boundaries will be tested.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: July 27, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »
I don't disagree with the premise of your first statement there, Bill ... but it's not a terribly sound analogy.
Using a cellphone around someone doesn't represent a known (albeit, potential) public health risk.

If it causes cancer, of course it does.  The "wifi" tendrils don't know if you are the user or not.  There might be a proximity issue, but that's the same with COVID.