Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195527 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #770 on: July 21, 2021, 03:00:55 PM »
I did not know that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #771 on: July 22, 2021, 12:55:22 PM »
I just read about Clapton refusing to play in venues that require proof of vaccination.

I'm sure he will find some venues to play in, but that may not happen in certain states like NY and CA.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #772 on: July 22, 2021, 12:58:23 PM »
At this point I see that as proof of evolution

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: July 22, 2021, 01:03:50 PM »
Best thing about green onions is that they hit that sweet spot of (1) adds great flavor to almost anything, and (2) incredibly easy to grow.  On point #2, you can be the worst ever at gardening, stick some of these in the ground, and still end up with a never-ending abundance.  Once you start, you never have to shop for them again.  Anytime you need some, you've got fresh ones to harvest at any given moment.

On Alton Brown's Good Eats this season, he made a scallion flat bread, and part of the recipe was making a scallion oil.   It looked and sounded so good.

I've followed that recipe and I can tell you first hand it is worth the time... the oil is great, but the crispy scallion's are beyond description!  The scallion pancake is awesome too.  I was seriously impressed with the crispy bits and the oil though.  This season has been a good one...

Having met Alton a few times, I can say he's likely the nicest celeb that I've been in contact with... the next on my list would be JP & JM.  Classy fellows all of them.  I'd like to meet Babbish as the majority of his recipes have been awesome as well (of the ones I've tried)

I'd LOVE to meet Alton Brown; he seems to be an interesting guy and I like his point of view when it comes to food.

Fun Fact:  he went to the University of Georgia for film and directed music videos before getting into food. He directed "The One I Love" for R.E.M.

All the times I've met him, we've ended up talking about Led Zep the majority of the time  :biggrin:  Honestly, I've never spoken to him about food. 

During the last book tour, he spent 3-hours in Asheville signing books and meeting his fans... seriously, that line was out the door of the venue, but he kept with it and never lost his energy!

Sorry to go off topic...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #774 on: July 23, 2021, 11:07:28 AM »
Just read a story about a pastor in Missouri that was vaccine hesitant. He started noticing how bad things were with the un-vaccinated in his community and he and his wife decided to get it after all.

The result, several people left his congregation, he got a ton of Facebook hate messages. Apparently, the vaccine contains alien blood and is also the mark of the beast. Those were just some of the things that got thrown at him after he was a responsible adult.

What a country we are.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #775 on: July 23, 2021, 11:37:16 AM »
The article that Harmony shared the other day was so sad - people are so resistant to this vaccine, thinking that their immune system is strong enough (it's just a flu!) and then they end up in the hospital begging for the vaccine as they are suffering, realizing their mistake.

There are just no more ways to get through to people right now.  I'm glad that I got vaccinated when I did back in the spring. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #776 on: July 23, 2021, 11:48:23 AM »
Just read a story about a pastor in Missouri that was vaccine hesitant. He started noticing how bad things were with the un-vaccinated in his community and he and his wife decided to get it after all.

The result, several people left his congregation, he got a ton of Facebook hate messages. Apparently, the vaccine contains alien blood and is also the mark of the beast. Those were just some of the things that got thrown at him after he was a responsible adult.

What a country we are.

It's impossible to reason with complete fucking idiocy.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #777 on: July 23, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »

What a country we are.

It's impossible to reason with complete fucking idiocy.

They'll beat you down with years of experience and expertise!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #778 on: July 23, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »

What a country we are.

This involves a lot more than that. It goes really deep.

It involves preaching to a congregation, and preaching your word that is considered the word of God. The congregation relies on the preachers words for their path of life to follow. The Bible utilizes the Flock of Sheep and the Shepard analogy.

It all depends on if he was preaching those claims to his congregation as well. If he was, then that is just plain stupid on his part. That's his consequence for manipulating. IF he was preaching those claims, then he has just been exposed and the only thing that happens is the congregation leaves. They either then search for a new beginning and understanding, form their own congregation/church, or bond together under the same premise and form their own church that way. What occurred is they lost trust in their Shepard.

Culture is very important to some people and to these people it is very important. Not to be harsh or mean...but, it's like some of you do not understand this, so the only way to react is in a confused state, and when that happens, people tend to mock/make fun of what they do not know. A way of mocking is to use words that have an insulting tone attached, like Idiocy.

It's like to me, there are a lot of people who do not understand this at all. How people can hold their stand in their beliefs to the point of going against what is considered righteous with what the majority of the modern society of the time dictates.

I don't think, it is necessarily Idiocy, or that they do not care. It has a lot to do with trust, beliefs, and a certain mindset that all those has created that gives a person his identity.

Also, geography could play a role, as there are people that live in rural areas that do not see people as often as most do, this could very well play into their mindset of viruses. The population densities of areas, like rural towns vs. major cities, I am sure plays a role in how viruses spread. As is evidenced, it only takes one person to travel from a heavily infected place to bring the virus to the small town. Which is why I truly believe that with how much we humans travel, that alone played a humungous role in the spread of this virus. In reality, all travel and borders would've had to shut down right at the detection of the virus, even at that, there was people that were already on the planes before it got detected. We should not forget about the mid-fall when there were many people getting a "Harsher Flu" diagnosis and suffering from symptoms that were very similar to Covid-19 symptoms.

The situation with us humans though is the same as an animal being caged. The longer it is caged, the more it will want to be let out and freed. Visit any zoo and tell me that the animal doesn't look like it wants to escape that zoo. There is only so long that a human will handle being locked up and prevented from doing what it wants to do. The mind can't handle it either, which leads to mental issues such as depression and suicidal thoughts, as one is left to ponder and think as the mind doesn't have the outside world to focus on.

That is an issue I see with regards to having to lockdown again, can the mind of us humans handle it?

edit:
I remember reading an article about what happened here during the Spanish Flu. That small town had people that would gather by the rail station with shotguns and if anyone was discovered or known to be infected they were not allowed to get off at their town and had to get off at the next town.

Here it is:
https://news-bulletin.com/the-spanish-flu-epidemic-of-1918-in-valencia-county/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 01:03:56 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #779 on: July 24, 2021, 09:15:52 AM »
My fully vaccinated Mother has Covid. Symptoms are manageable…..I’m assuming because she’s vaccinated…..but the thing that ticks me off is where she got it.

Last weekend she got together with a couple of her friends to celebrate a birthday and one of them was symptomatic…..achy, headaches, etc etc……but still chose to go hang out with a group of people indoors.

An adult woman who is fully aware of what’s going on with this virus…..ignoring tell tale signs she has it and still going out and exposing who knows how many people to it. Just dumb.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #780 on: July 24, 2021, 09:25:35 AM »
So infuriating man, hope she gets better soon. Thankfully she's vaxxed and will avoid the brundt of the disease.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #781 on: July 24, 2021, 09:37:58 AM »
I spent some time with extended family who live halfway across the country from me.  All of us are fully vaccinated including the 14 year old son of my cousin.  This young man and his father went on a six mile hike and later that evening, he started feeling poorly - headache, nausea, warm forehead.  No working thermometer to be found in the house so off to the drug store.  Turns out he did not have a fever and after some hydration and some Tylenol he rebounded.

The boy's mother asked me if I thought she was over-reacting about getting the thermometer.  This is with the grandparents (83 and 84 with diabetes) living in the house with them.  I'm like, "I don't think checking for a temperature during a global pandemic is over-reacting at all."

That was 5 days ago and though he continues to feel well, I'm still on alert for break-through symptoms.  Ugh, it feels like this is never going to end.  I mean, I know I'm protected but I still don't want to get sick and potentially spread it around unknowingly to others.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #782 on: July 24, 2021, 10:10:01 AM »
Don't be like Gmillers mom and go out when you're sick, if you do get sick. If you are sick or have any symptoms of being sick, stay home. If you are not sure, go to a doctor and stay home.

Sickness will never go away. We have things in the air, in the water, and in the Earth that cause us to get sick regardless... Look at the effect the wildfires of the west are having on the east coast. People are getting sick because of all that smoke. People in Flint are getting sick cause their water is almost toxic to drink.

Again, what is one doing to prevent form catching the sickness. In all actuality and the reality of the situation, it's all one can do.

And if so inclined might as well go off grid and isolate yourself from people all together. That's what some people chose to do.

If these vaccines do work, then those whom are vaccinated should be fine enough to not go to the hospitals. Unless, their health is already bad enough to begin with and the vaccine won't do much at all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #783 on: July 24, 2021, 10:11:11 AM »
My fully vaccinated Mother has Covid. Symptoms are manageable…..I’m assuming because she’s vaccinated…..but the thing that ticks me off is where she got it.

Last weekend she got together with a couple of her friends to celebrate a birthday and one of them was symptomatic…..achy, headaches, etc etc……but still chose to go hang out with a group of people indoors.

An adult woman who is fully aware of what’s going on with this virus…..ignoring tell tale signs she has it and still going out and exposing who knows how many people to it. Just dumb.

Was the other lady vaccinated?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #784 on: July 24, 2021, 11:50:21 PM »
Don't be like Gmillers mom and go out when you're sick

It wasn't his mom that went out while sick, it was the other lady at the party.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #785 on: July 25, 2021, 02:02:57 AM »
In Italy they're about to introduce a "Green Pass" to go around in restaurants, closed places and eventually trains, ships and planes, and - like in other parts of the world - people are going apeshit about it because it's a violation of privacy, of one's right, it's a dictatorship, blah blah blah.....

Really, what people were thinking? there's a pandemic, there's a vaccine, and people seriously expected that there was no difference between vaccinated people, and those without the vaccine?

Maybe to teach the world a lesson, there should have occoured something more drastic. Imagine a comic book-like mutation where it's sperm that floats in the air, not the virus droplets. Maybe, once some dudes started seeing their wives knocked up because their neighbour had sex without a condom, they would start to realize that when you live in a society your choices fall upon others and your "freedom" isn't limitless.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #786 on: July 25, 2021, 08:15:43 AM »
Don't be like Gmillers mom and go out when you're sick

It wasn't his mom that went out while sick, it was the other lady at the party.

My bad. Sorry, Gmiller.

Yeah still, that lady should stay home. But also, how is one to know whether one is Asymptomatic or not? There was no way to know this about the flu.

In Italy they're about to introduce a "Green Pass" to go around in restaurants, closed places and eventually trains, ships and planes, and - like in other parts of the world - people are going apeshit about it because it's a violation of privacy, of one's right, it's a dictatorship, blah blah blah.....

Really, what people were thinking? there's a pandemic, there's a vaccine, and people seriously expected that there was no difference between vaccinated people, and those without the vaccine?

Maybe to teach the world a lesson, there should have occoured something more drastic. Imagine a comic book-like mutation where it's sperm that floats in the air, not the virus droplets. Maybe, once some dudes started seeing their wives knocked up because their neighbour had sex without a condom, they would start to realize that when you live in a society your choices fall upon others and your "freedom" isn't limitless.

According to my peoples stories, the Earth was destroyed 3 times, and we are living in the fourth world. The world was destroyed because the people were not abiding by creators laws and words, and instructions to live. So he destroyed the world's by ice, fire, and water, this is the fabled city of Atlantis or Lemuria.

The Roman Empire was destroyed by fire with Pompeii.

Are you saying that to teach us lessons about morals that this pandemic should have been worse?

As I have been saying. There's lots more than what you believe and think that plays into how other people think and feel and believe of life.

If it was easy, we wouldn't have the many problems we have concerning each others differences in the human species.

How was it we humans knew there was a pandemic. By the media, and the vast connections we humans are capable of now. This world connection was also how the virus spread as we humans now can travel around the world in a week.

Now how would we have known of this pandemic if we did not have media or this vast connection. We would know by people dying, and in some places people dying wasn't as severe as in other places. Big Cities and Rural areas are not the same and these Big Cities have more risks than a smaller town does.

Smaller towns have more community than a big city. In a big city, people tend to fend for themselves and focus on the individual more so than community. Smaller towns have huge community participation, people in these small towns knows mostly everyone, people in this small town know when a visitor comes, as they know they're not part of the community.

These are all parts of the whole that affects how a person thinks, feels, and believes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #787 on: July 25, 2021, 08:24:29 AM »
If it's "about" the flu you still should stay home. It's always been like that.  Nothing new.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #788 on: July 25, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
I know we live in a perfect world where everyone acts perfectly correctly at all times and if they don't they're obviously stupid selfish idiots, but I'm not sure what we expect.  If we get a sniffle, do we stay in and quarantine?  My kid has Olympic-level allergies; every time she doesn't feel good, is the only acceptable path forward to stay home?    My stepson has a four year old, and my other stepson is 13, meaning both are in school.    We've jokingly referred to school as "germ soup" for years; every time there's anything not normal, is the only proper recourse to self-quarantine or test? 

We know G-man's mom got the COVID, and for that I am deeply sorry and my heart goes out, but how many people have been in that exact scenario - around someone who was "achy, headaches, etc etc……" and it wasn't COVID?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a "tend your own garden" guy, so if that IS the answer, I'm not going to squawk at that, and I'm not suggesting that I'm right or that Gary or anyone else is over-reacting, but I am asking a legit question: where are we going to draw the line?  Is there even a line to be drawn?   Increasingly it's seeming to me that "Zero infections, zero hospitalizations" are the only acceptable metrics and I believe that may be an unrealistic goal.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #789 on: July 25, 2021, 08:34:19 AM »
Are you saying that to teach us lessons about morals that this pandemic should have been worse?

No, as if it wasn't clear enough by the absurdity of my example, I was making a sarcastic joke.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #790 on: July 25, 2021, 08:38:43 AM »
Increasingly it's seeming to me that "Zero infections, zero hospitalizations" are the only acceptable metrics

just for the record, this is yet again a situation where absolutely no one is saying this.

There's obviously a huge difference between having the sniffles a few years ago and NOW in covid times.  Although it would have been better if people stayed home more often before and I hope it becomes more accepted going forward, not just for covid but for more common things like cold or stomach flu etc.   Again,  no one is saying there should be zero infections but reducing is better for everyone,  businesses included.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: July 25, 2021, 08:48:39 AM »
Increasingly it's seeming to me that "Zero infections, zero hospitalizations" are the only acceptable metrics

just for the record, this is yet again a situation where absolutely no one is saying this.

There's obviously a huge difference between having the sniffles a few years ago and NOW in covid times.  Although it would have been better if people stayed home more often before and I hope it becomes more accepted going forward, not just for covid but for more common things like cold or stomach flu etc.   Again,  no one is saying there should be zero infections but reducing is better for everyone,  businesses included.

Please go back and tell me where I said anyone said this.  "It seems as if" doesn't mean that someone SAID it, it means that it's difficult to see what the objective IS given some of the reactions.  Your patent unwillingness to give even the slightest benefit of the doubt to me is the stuff of legend, but it's getting tiresome.

If it was so friggin' "obvious", we'd not be having this conversation.  We've a couple examples here over the past couple weeks where people we know have gotten sick and not ONE of the responses has been "well, that sucks, and I wish your loved one well, but them's the breaks, people get sick!", which is, unfortunately, the world we live in.  People DO get sick (and in some, non-COVID cases, that's actually a good thing).    Instead, most of the reactions have been some variation on "that person that gave it to you was [insert insult du jour]".   My point, not that you're even remotely interested in it, is "when do we get to the point that we acknowledge there will be some level of COVID infection that is part of our existence here on earth, like the flu, like the common cold, like any other illness we pick up in the course of our living our life."  And my comment was simply to reflect that "it doesn't look like we're close to that yet."

Gary, I'm sorry as hell that your mom is at the heart of this discussion.  I AM sorry she's ill, and I hope she recovers fully just as fast as possible.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: July 25, 2021, 09:03:14 AM »

Please go back and tell me where I said anyone said this.  "It seems as if" doesn't mean that someone SAID it, it means that it's difficult to see what the objective IS given some of the reactions.  Your patent unwillingness to give even the slightest benefit of the doubt to me is the stuff of legend, but it's getting tiresome.

"It seems as if ..."  "Many people are saying ..."  "why can't we ask the question...."   All subtle slights of tongue which understandably can be mis-construed by some.  I don't personally think that's what you're doing here, Bill, but can understand how/why another might.

"when do we get to the point that we acknowledge there will be some level of COVID infection that is part of our existence here on earth, like the flu, like the common cold, like any other illness we pick up in the course of our living our life."  And my comment was simply to reflect that "it doesn't look like we're close to that yet."

No, we're not close to it yet.  We're still in the MIDDLE of a global pandemic (and so long as the USA is part of the globe, you're in it too).  Some people want to convince (fool?) themselves into thinking that their locale/region/nation is coming out of it, but that's not the case.  For this specific example, how many people has/does Gary's mom now spread it to?  Gary's three boys?  I know they've already had it, but if they hadn't, maybe they catch it ... and then spread it to their friends, who spread it to their unvac'd parents.  Or worse yet, the more people that catch it, the greater the likelihood of another variant/mutation.  My belief is that society still has to be vigilant (maybe not HYPER vigilant like we had to be in the first 12 months of the pandemic) about the ease and rate at which COVID can spread.

I hope that within the next 12 months we get closer to the mindset that you mention, Bill, but think even that's aggressive.  End of 2022 is probably more likely - so long as there aren't more (or continual) spikes and waves.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: July 25, 2021, 09:12:34 AM »
"when do we get to the point that we acknowledge there will be some level of COVID infection that is part of our existence here on earth, like the flu, like the common cold, like any other illness we pick up in the course of our living our life."  And my comment was simply to reflect that "it doesn't look like we're close to that yet."

No, we're not close to it yet.  We're still in the MIDDLE of a global pandemic (and so long as the USA is part of the globe, you're in it too).  Some people want to convince (fool?) themselves into thinking that their locale/region/nation is coming out of it, but that's not the case.  For this specific example, how many people has/does Gary's mom now spread it to?  Gary's three boys?  I know they've already had it, but if they hadn't, maybe they catch it ... and then spread it to their friends, who spread it to their unvac'd parents.  Or worse yet, the more people that catch it, the greater the likelihood of another variant/mutation.  My belief is that society still has to be vigilant (maybe not HYPER vigilant like we had to be in the first 12 months of the pandemic) about the ease and rate at which COVID can spread.

I hope that within the next 12 months we get closer to the mindset that you mention, Bill, but think even that's aggressive.  End of 2022 is probably more likely - so long as there aren't more (or continual) spikes and waves.

Fair points, and that's a legit answer to my question.   I hope it's sooner rather than later, though, because I believe the "you're an IDIOT!" has already worn thin and made things worse, so we're on borrowed time.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #794 on: July 25, 2021, 09:25:59 AM »
Dr. Google states approximately 80% of Covid infections are asymptomatic.  I also read that we in the US are at the same level of infections that we were 365 days ago - which is probably incorrect as we aren't testing as much as we were a year ago.

I have a relative that does in-home therapy with special needs kids.  She stopped telehealth visits July 1st and has been back in homes since then, wearing a mask and taking precautions.  She is fully vaccinated but sometimes she works with an interpreter who is not vaccinated by choice.

Last Friday at 5 pm, this new policy comes down from her employer with a bunch of new rules they have to follow (after almost a month of already seeing kids).  That includes checking temps from every person in the home before entering and requiring the families of these kids to wear masks as well.  She was also told she can't under any circumstance disclose the fact that she is fully vaccinated.  The only thermometer she has is one for infants/toddlers that is done by holding in the arm pit for 3 minutes.  The employer has not provided her with any other equipment including masks to provide families.  So along with checking the kid she is providing therapy to, she'll also be required to check all of that kid's siblings, parents, and anybody else in the home - she told me one family has a roommate that works nights and she's wondering how to tell them that they will need to get up out of bed so she can check their temp without upsetting them.  She will also need to sterilize the one thermometer she has in between each person.  So potentially the first 15 minutes of an hour visit will be doing this part.  Along with asking the entire family about Covid symptoms.  If anyone in the household has "Covid symptoms" (not listed in the policy) she will have to leave immediately and report the name of that person to her supervisor.

She told me that she'll be going back to telehealth even though this means the therapy she would have been able to provide will not be as effective for the child.  It just isn't worth all of these new requirements that certainly many of her families will balk at anyway.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #795 on: July 25, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »
I hope people are prepared for a new round of restrictions, which I support. The NFL is cracking down and now politicians are starting to make the distinction between the vaccinated and unvaccinated. Hell, I've heard sports personalities rail against the unvaccinated because they want to see their favorite team on the field.

I've also slowly seen more business coming up with restrictions for the unvaccinated so just be prepared for what's coming....

Anybody paying attention to COVID and the Olympics?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #796 on: July 25, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »
The NFL's policy is brilliant, and just the type of thinking we need. Basically, it says yeah, it's your choice, but your choice will have consequences aside from the whole becoming a disease vector, and since getting sick doesn't seem to be a deterrent, we know hitting you in the wallet will.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #797 on: July 25, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »
I hope people are prepared for a new round of restrictions, which I support. The NFL is cracking down and now politicians are starting to make the distinction between the vaccinated and unvaccinated. Hell, I've heard sports personalities rail against the unvaccinated because they want to see their favorite team on the field.

I've also slowly seen more business coming up with restrictions for the unvaccinated so just be prepared for what's coming....

I was watching an infectious disease expert on the news a few days ago, expressing concerns about athletes from different parts of the world bringing different strains of the virus together. All the different strains  transmit information to each other on how to become more virulent and a monster strain is created.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #798 on: July 25, 2021, 11:43:45 AM »
Dr. Google states approximately 80% of Covid infections are asymptomatic.  I also read that we in the US are at the same level of infections that we were 365 days ago - which is probably incorrect as we aren't testing as much as we were a year ago.

I have a relative that does in-home therapy with special needs kids.  She stopped telehealth visits July 1st and has been back in homes since then, wearing a mask and taking precautions.  She is fully vaccinated but sometimes she works with an interpreter who is not vaccinated by choice.

Last Friday at 5 pm, this new policy comes down from her employer with a bunch of new rules they have to follow (after almost a month of already seeing kids).  That includes checking temps from every person in the home before entering and requiring the families of these kids to wear masks as well.  She was also told she can't under any circumstance disclose the fact that she is fully vaccinated.  The only thermometer she has is one for infants/toddlers that is done by holding in the arm pit for 3 minutes.  The employer has not provided her with any other equipment including masks to provide families.  So along with checking the kid she is providing therapy to, she'll also be required to check all of that kid's siblings, parents, and anybody else in the home - she told me one family has a roommate that works nights and she's wondering how to tell them that they will need to get up out of bed so she can check their temp without upsetting them.  She will also need to sterilize the one thermometer she has in between each person.  So potentially the first 15 minutes of an hour visit will be doing this part.  Along with asking the entire family about Covid symptoms.  If anyone in the household has "Covid symptoms" (not listed in the policy) she will have to leave immediately and report the name of that person to her supervisor.

She told me that she'll be going back to telehealth even though this means the therapy she would have been able to provide will not be as effective for the child.  It just isn't worth all of these new requirements that certainly many of her families will balk at anyway.

So the compromise is to not provide the possible care and help that is most effective for the child?

That's tough to make a choice between.

Which is dividing the people further into Stads us and them scenarios.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: July 25, 2021, 01:26:50 PM »
The NFL's policy is brilliant, and just the type of thinking we need. Basically, it says yeah, it's your choice, but your choice will have consequences aside from the whole becoming a disease vector, and since getting sick doesn't seem to be a deterrent, we know hitting you in the wallet will.

If I understand it correctly, I like the NFL policy as well.    It seems more nuanced than just "we're going to pretend to give you a choice, but the consequences for not doing as we wish kind of make it not really a choice".   It seems to me they allow you to fuck up before there are ramifications, instead of the more common "bullying by consequences", which is fine by me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #800 on: July 25, 2021, 02:58:47 PM »
It seems more nuanced than just "we're going to pretend to give you a choice, but the consequences for not doing as we wish kind of make it not really a choice".   

Hey, there's a whole subforum dedicated to religion.

;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: July 25, 2021, 03:15:16 PM »
A few days ago our daughter had a fever of 103 (if our thermometer is to be trusted). Gave her some Tylenol and went to the clinic. By the time they saw us, it was down to normal. No other symptoms. Neg Covid test. 24 hours later she was fine as if nothing happened. A bit scary for a bit as we were out of state and scheduled to fly home 2 days later.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: July 25, 2021, 04:30:06 PM »
A few days ago our daughter had a fever of 103 (if our thermometer is to be trusted). Gave her some Tylenol and went to the clinic. By the time they saw us, it was down to normal. No other symptoms. Neg Covid test. 24 hours later she was fine as if nothing happened. A bit scary for a bit as we were out of state and scheduled to fly home 2 days later.

Glad to hear it wasn't the 'rona.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: July 25, 2021, 05:14:48 PM »
Mom is vaxxed and the kids are under 12 (or whatever the age is). We were concerned, as the 3 year old and I had just flown, but airports and planes are enforcing mask wearing. So my thoughts went to "what are we supposed to do?" Which brings me back to your point. What do we do to "stay vigilant" here in July 2021? We didn't have to make the trip. Should I have not taken our unvaxxed kids 3,000 miles? How long do we avoid seeing our extended families? With tens of thousands of people attending sporting events, it sure doesn't feel like we are "in the middle" of a pandemic.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #804 on: July 25, 2021, 05:44:35 PM »
3000 miles away? Where did you go to Chris!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol