Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195338 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #735 on: July 20, 2021, 12:27:52 PM »
Best thing about green onions is that they hit that sweet spot of (1) adds great flavor to almost anything, and (2) incredibly easy to grow.  On point #2, you can be the worst ever at gardening, stick some of these in the ground, and still end up with a never-ending abundance.  Once you start, you never have to shop for them again.  Anytime you need some, you've got fresh ones to harvest at any given moment.

Also, Tim will never eat them so more for you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #736 on: July 20, 2021, 12:56:23 PM »
True.  So I guess green onions are a true triple threat.  And I'm starting to think that Tim patterned his life after Mikey.  "He hates everything!"

But anyway, nice to have a bit of lightheartedness in the thread.  The fingerpointing, mocking, accusations, etc. are getting old.  Ultimately, no matter what your position, doing that doesn't help anything.  And the back and forth arguments about whether one position or the other is defensible are tiring and don't get us anywhere.  Speaking as a thread reader/participant (not wearing my mod hat, although it would be true in that context as well), I much more prefer posts more in line with Cram's optimism, or Harmony's thoughtful analysis, for example. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #737 on: July 20, 2021, 01:01:00 PM »
Wait.

Tim doesn't like green onions?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: July 20, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »
Can't use distortion on onions.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: July 20, 2021, 01:14:53 PM »
Tim doesn't like green onions?

I think it's easier to question what Tim does like

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #740 on: July 20, 2021, 01:15:20 PM »
SMH
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #741 on: July 20, 2021, 01:31:30 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #742 on: July 20, 2021, 02:19:24 PM »
I'm sure you guys will hit your wall of conservative idiots soon.

If you look at the differentials, age and insured are far bigger differentials than "political party" and education and race are close behind.   

This is NOT a one-variable equation.

Regarding the link you cited, I don't think it's telling the story you think it does (I'm having trouble wrestling with the data myself).  I don't think statements can be made that about these variables, because (as an example) it's not measuring that total population of the age group (or insured status, or ethnicity ...), it's measuring the total population of vacc'd and unvacc'd.  You'd have to flip the variables around and measure all 18-29 year olds and get the vacc/unvacc split to make the claims you're making.  Or maybe I'm mis-reading what you're trying to say.

Regardless, simply aggregating the highest rates in this article (bolding the similarities)
Unvaccinated people are most likely to be 30-49 yrs old, white, 'Red', uneducated, low income, insured, suburban.
Vaccinated people are most likely to be <statistically indistinguishable age category>, white, 'Blue', educated, low income, insured, suburban.

If all of these variables are at play, then why is Canada at the vaccination rates that we are (70% of total population with one shot; 80% of ELIGIBLE population with one shot), but the US isn't?  Insurance is a variable we don't have to account for, but we have different incomes, ages, ethnicities, educations ... how are we so far ahead of the US in our vaccination distribution (measured by at least 1 shot)?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: July 20, 2021, 02:30:51 PM »
I think you can lower that unvaccinated white demo into the 20's. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: July 20, 2021, 02:41:20 PM »
I'm not sure insurance matters as a statistic when anyone can get the vaccine (maybe it matters for some sort of statistic that I'm not really seeing).  There's basically no questions asked.  I didn't even need to show ID. And no one is paying money directly for it.

And while I may not want to say "its the republicans" who aren't vaccinated because that's way too general.  There are stats that show Republicans are less vaccinated than Democrats and Independents even if there's a % in all categories not vaccinated.

Anyway, https://www.yahoo.com/news/sean-hannity-other-fox-hosts-072301604.html it's nice to finally see some conservatives with a voice and following come around.  If only Tucker would as well, or ya know, maybe Trump actually start making public statements about people getting the vaccine like he did and that his experience with covid was very bad and we luckily now have a way to prevent what happened to him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #745 on: July 20, 2021, 02:45:49 PM »
I work in the Hyde Park section of Boston, a predominantly black neighborhood, and it feels like 90% of them are still wearing masks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #746 on: July 20, 2021, 02:49:30 PM »
I'm sure you guys will hit your wall of conservative idiots soon.

If you look at the differentials, age and insured are far bigger differentials than "political party" and education and race are close behind.   

This is NOT a one-variable equation.

Regarding the link you cited, I don't think it's telling the story you think it does (I'm having trouble wrestling with the data myself).  I don't think statements can be made that about these variables, because (as an example) it's not measuring that total population of the age group (or insured status, or ethnicity ...), it's measuring the total population of vacc'd and unvacc'd.  You'd have to flip the variables around and measure all 18-29 year olds and get the vacc/unvacc split to make the claims you're making.  Or maybe I'm mis-reading what you're trying to say.

Regardless, simply aggregating the highest rates in this article (bolding the similarities)
Unvaccinated people are most likely to be 30-49 yrs old, white, 'Red', uneducated, low income, insured, suburban.
Vaccinated people are most likely to be <statistically indistinguishable age category>, white, 'Blue', educated, low income, insured, suburban.

If all of these variables are at play, then why is Canada at the vaccination rates that we are (70% of total population with one shot; 80% of ELIGIBLE population with one shot), but the US isn't?  Insurance is a variable we don't have to account for, but we have different incomes, ages, ethnicities, educations ... how are we so far ahead of the US in our vaccination distribution (measured by at least 1 shot)?

You kind of answered the question with this...

Insurance is a variable we don't have to account for, but we have different incomes, ages, ethnicities, educations

These all affect how a society reacts to situations that concern the masses. All these different variables differ in weight of risk in every country.
But, a country's doctrine determines the enforcement of said mandates and regulations. The people in some countries do not have the freedom of choice, nor do they have guaranteed rights. America does have these in it's doctrine. America also relies on Insurance for health services, so Americans do have a variable to consider for the costs of the service for being treated at a health facility.

These do have an effect on people's decision making and risk assessment, and it's based on the doctrine of a society.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #747 on: July 20, 2021, 02:53:38 PM »
I work in the Hyde Park section of Boston, a predominantly black neighborhood, and it feels like 90% of them are still wearing masks.

Yup, regardless if the data says it's ok to not wear a mask. They will still continue to wear a mask. One of the reasons I have been told is, I'm just taking extra precautions and would rather be safe than sorry. I've seen people still go all out with sanitizer and sprays before going into the store.

There's a lot of the Native population that is like this.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #748 on: July 20, 2021, 06:37:33 PM »
Anyway, https://www.yahoo.com/news/sean-hannity-other-fox-hosts-072301604.html it's nice to finally see some conservatives with a voice and following come around.  If only Tucker would as well, or ya know, maybe Trump actually start making public statements about people getting the vaccine like he did and that his experience with covid was very bad and we luckily now have a way to prevent what happened to him.

I'm glad that they're finally saying something, but it's too little, too late I think.  The anti-vax sentiment on that side of the aisle is so rooted in by now - the local people I see online have a very strong position against it.  I'm irritated watching my local numbers start to climb after being at ZERO for a while in June.  Just as my kids are headed back into school in a month and another surge is coming.  This is never going to end.

Your point about Trump is big - he'd never admit it though.  He had to look strong and tough and act like covid was no big deal, yet it came out that he was on oxygen at one point and certainly was bad enough to warrant being taken to a hospital.   You could see how short of breath he was when he got out and he was on the White House steps for that photo-op.  Just getting some sort of truth out of him would help push people to get vaccinated.  It makes me so mad that he was vaccinated in private.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: July 20, 2021, 06:51:27 PM »

I'm glad that they're finally saying something, but it's too little, too late I think.  The anti-vax sentiment on that side of the aisle is so rooted in by now - the local people I see online have a very strong position against it.  I'm irritated watching my local numbers start to climb after being at ZERO for a while in June.  Just as my kids are headed back into school in a month and another surge is coming.  This is never going to end.

Your point about Trump is big - he'd never admit it though.  He had to look strong and tough and act like covid was no big deal, yet it came out that he was on oxygen at one point and certainly was bad enough to warrant being taken to a hospital.   You could see how short of breath he was when he got out and he was on the White House steps for that photo-op.  Just getting some sort of truth out of him would help push people to get vaccinated.  It makes me so mad that he was vaccinated in private.

I read an article from the new book coming out about him that he was really bad, like maybe deathly ill because he's old, overweight, and generally not healthy so his prospects were really bad but he got the best treatment possible (and I'm not against that, he was the POTUS at the time) so that kind of makes me more mad if he went through the worst of it and still isn't advocating for vaccination (even though he STILL got one, when apparently you don't need a vaccine after infection).  ???

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: July 20, 2021, 06:58:33 PM »
It's never too late to change your mind. Maybe it's a start to get others vaccinated. 

Much better than the alternative. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: July 20, 2021, 07:01:27 PM »
It's never too late to change your mind. Maybe it's a start to get others vaccinated. 

Much better than the alternative.

He (Trump) got it early without making it newsworthy, so this is not new. But generally agree, it's better to change your mind late than never for something that is important a la Hannity.  But Trump still hasn't really promoted getting a vaccine.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: July 20, 2021, 07:10:16 PM »
Who cares about that asshole. The Republican party needs to save face.  Change what they think about the virus. This is a step in the right direction.

Trump is in the past. The Republican party needs to save their image.

They are not dummies.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: July 20, 2021, 07:21:22 PM »
Responded in PR, I went too far into politics by bringing up Fox News and Trump so I don't want to respond here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: July 20, 2021, 07:23:35 PM »
Lol. It's ok. I want to be positive and I believe you do too!

Offline emtee

« Reply #755 on: July 21, 2021, 04:37:02 AM »
I wish I could offer reasoned and uplifting thoughts but unfortunately, due to the fact that my colleagues and I have been dealing with this for 17 months (with a couple ebbs) I feel as if I'm at a personal tipping point. Florida is in the crapper again. We're treating way too many patients. What used to be empathy and compassion--when there was no vaccjne--is being replaced by unfavorable thoughts and emotions. There is no end in sight. I feel like I'm fighting a war with zero chance of winning.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #756 on: July 21, 2021, 05:40:41 AM »
I'm not sure insurance matters as a statistic when anyone can get the vaccine (maybe it matters for some sort of statistic that I'm not really seeing).  There's basically no questions asked.  I didn't even need to show ID. And no one is paying money directly for it.

And while I may not want to say "its the republicans" who aren't vaccinated because that's way too general.  There are stats that show Republicans are less vaccinated than Democrats and Independents even if there's a % in all categories not vaccinated.

I owe you $20 for this post, for (I'm assuming, inadvertently) teeing up what I've been trying to get across for weeks now:   No, insurance ITSELF doesn't factor in, because you're right, the vaccine is to my knowledge freely distributed, but perhaps the same inputs that lead someone to be un- or underinsured also lead to not wanting to get the vaccine.  Distrust of authority.  Lack of access to actual reliable medical care (including the advise that would say "Get the vaccine!").   Lack of income to get to the vaccine distribution locations.   Lack of awareness of the seriousness of one's medical history/condition.    In other words, CORRELATION.

We had a series of articles - some snarky, some with agenda - that posited that "Republican" had something to do with whether one got vaccinated or not, and a lot of people with a foregone conclusion ran with it.  But maybe it's the reasons one was led to vote Republican in the first place that led them to the conscious decision that it's not advisable to get the vaccine at this time.  Who knows?   It's just not that simple. 

I think we SHOULD focus on the positive: that was in the NY Times article I posted yesterday or the day before.   Promote the safety of the vaccine. Promote the ease of getting the vaccine.  Promote the positive numbers from getting the vaccine.  Be POSITIVE, instead of taking the opportunity to mock, belittle, and denigrate those you don't agree with.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: July 21, 2021, 05:44:53 AM »
Best thing about green onions is that they hit that sweet spot of (1) adds great flavor to almost anything, and (2) incredibly easy to grow.  On point #2, you can be the worst ever at gardening, stick some of these in the ground, and still end up with a never-ending abundance.  Once you start, you never have to shop for them again.  Anytime you need some, you've got fresh ones to harvest at any given moment.

On Alton Brown's Good Eats this season, he made a scallion flat bread, and part of the recipe was making a scallion oil.   It looked and sounded so good.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #758 on: July 21, 2021, 06:39:47 AM »
I wish I could offer reasoned and uplifting thoughts but unfortunately, due to the fact that my colleagues and I have been dealing with this for 17 months (with a couple ebbs) I feel as if I'm at a personal tipping point. Florida is in the crapper again. We're treating way too many patients. What used to be empathy and compassion--when there was no vaccjne--is being replaced by unfavorable thoughts and emotions. There is no end in sight. I feel like I'm fighting a war with zero chance of winning.

I can't imagine the frustration you and all those in the health fields must feel right now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #759 on: July 21, 2021, 06:50:17 AM »

I can't imagine the frustration you and all those in the health fields must feel right now.

Yeah, going from OMG to WTF.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #760 on: July 21, 2021, 07:55:18 AM »

I understand completely those thoughts and emotions and I am not a front line worker. Hang in there!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #761 on: July 21, 2021, 08:04:28 AM »

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.  I know what it's like.  I mean, I don't work in healthcare, but my company is responsible for the HVAC systems in most of the major hospitals in Boston, so I am in there all the time, Children's Hospital, Boston City Hospital, Women & Children's, Tufts, etc.  Even here in MA where 63% of our population has been fully vaccinated there is still a hard limit on how many will actually go and get the vaccine.  Most believe we're rapidly closing in on that limit now.  I'm sure you've got it worse where you are as 20% of the new cases in the United States are currently coming from Florida, but even here with 63% vaccinated our hospitals and especially our ICU units are beginning to fill up again only this time it's mostly people under 40-years-old who are coming in with Covid-19 symptoms. 

What's truly sad about this is while I think there would have been some level of vaccine hesitancy regardless of the media, we are only now beginning to see some people in the media coming forward to say that the vaccines are safe and effective and people need to go and get the vaccine if they are eligible.  There are still going to be some talking heads on TV who are literally going on every night and spreading bullshit about the vaccines.   At what point does this become the equivalent of shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater?  At what point does a person on television who is telling straight-up demonstrable falsehoods about both the virus and the vaccines encounter some consequences for those lies?

I'm not looking for an answer here, I'm asking rhetorical questions as a way of expressing my exasperation with some in the media who are callously using this emergency to generate ratings and advertising revenue and it's just....well....it's awful because it's making matters worse and no one seems to be doing anything to stop it.   >:(

Online Harmony

« Reply #762 on: July 21, 2021, 10:23:17 AM »
I think this doctor sums up the way many physicians working in hospitals are feeling right now.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/07/im-sorry-but-its-too-late-alabama-doctor-on-treating-unvaccinated-dying-covid-patients.html

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #763 on: July 21, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »
Well that doesn't seem very optimistic!

“So it feels like impending doom, basically.”
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Harmony

« Reply #764 on: July 21, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »
I think for healthcare workers in states with very low vaccination rates and the thought of kids back in classrooms without masks (at the very least) it does feel like impending doom.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline emtee

« Reply #765 on: July 21, 2021, 11:08:28 AM »
We hear that too often. "If I could go back in time I would get the vaccine."

btw, thanks for the encouragement.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #766 on: July 21, 2021, 12:37:13 PM »
Speaking of political sides...Before Covid, the majority of anti-vaxxers were more on the left. It cracks me up that a hated Republican president gets us a great vaccine in record time - and now many on that side of the aisle turned into anti-vaxxers. And the left, suddenly loves vaccines, but won't even try to pull the Right into it by saying Hey! Trump did a great job getting us this vaccine and even took it himself! Everything has turned into a political boxing match and it's no wonder all the confusion. People don't trust anything anyone has to say about important medical things, because it all has been politicized. Add to this the Hate for the pharmaceutical industry..Why? They research and develop new and great meds that help us! Sure, not everyone can afford them, but this would be the truth anyway. It costs $$$ to do this. And we have the Covid vaccine.  Bet that was pricey.  People think not enough or too much.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: July 21, 2021, 02:10:11 PM »

On Alton Brown's Good Eats this season, he made a scallion flat bread, and part of the recipe was making a scallion oil.   It looked and sounded so good.

I've followed that recipe and I can tell you first hand it is worth the time... the oil is great, but the crispy scallion's are beyond description!  The scallion pancake is awesome too.  I was seriously impressed with the crispy bits and the oil though.  This season has been a good one...

Having met Alton a few times, I can say he's likely the nicest celeb that I've been in contact with... the next on my list would be JP & JM.  Classy fellows all of them.  I'd like to meet Babbish as the majority of his recipes have been awesome as well (of the ones I've tried)
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: July 21, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »

I've followed that recipe and I can tell you first hand it is worth the time... the oil is great, but the crispy scallion's are beyond description!  The scallion pancake is awesome too.  I was seriously impressed with the crispy bits and the oil though.  This season has been a good one...

Having met Alton a few times, I can say he's likely the nicest celeb that I've been in contact with... the next on my list would be JP & JM.  Classy fellows all of them.  I'd like to meet Babbish as the majority of his recipes have been awesome as well (of the ones I've tried)

I'd LOVE to meet Alton Brown; he seems to be an interesting guy and I like his point of view when it comes to food.

Fun Fact:  he went to the University of Georgia for film and directed music videos before getting into food. He directed "The One I Love" for R.E.M.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #769 on: July 21, 2021, 02:36:30 PM »
Fun Fact:  he went to the University of Georgia for film and directed music videos before getting into food. He directed "The One I Love" for R.E.M.

That's interesting.