Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195478 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #700 on: July 19, 2021, 03:01:48 PM »
I understand that, but people have not been getting mRNA vaccines like this before.  The tech is not new, but people actually getting the shots is new.  Having said that, things like the J&J kind of rule out that excuse.

The sad part if the timing of COVID is that it was 2021 that this mRNA technology would be pushed for a whole myriad of diseases but COVID took precedent.

Look at 2022 when mRNA vaccines will rule the headlines. Until the disinformation campaigns kick in.  >:(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: July 19, 2021, 03:02:34 PM »
I understand that, but people have not been getting mRNA vaccines like this before.  The tech is not new, but people actually getting the shots is new.  Having said that, things like the J&J kind of rule out that excuse.

The sad part if the timing of COVID is that it was 2021 that this mRNA technology would be pushed for a whole myriad of diseases but COVID took precedent.

Look at 2022 when mRNA vaccines will rule the headlines. Until the disinformation campaigns kick in.  >:(

mRNA may potentially be the biggest medical breakthrough in our lives

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #702 on: July 20, 2021, 07:03:45 AM »
Hare, meet tortoise.

Over 50% of all Canadians are now fully vaccinated against COVID-19
Over 57 per cent of the population that’s eligible for the vaccine — Canadians aged 12 and up — are fully vaccinated.
The number of people who have received at least one dose, meanwhile, is slowly approaching 70 per cent of the total population, or almost 80 per cent of the eligible population.  Second dose inoculations continue to climb at a steady pace in Canada, nearly tripling over the past 30 days.
On Saturday, the share of the Canadian population fully vaccinated against COVID-19 surpassed the United States for the first time. In the U.S., just 48.6 per cent of all Americans have received both doses, only growing by 0.2 per cent since the weekend.
...the seven-day average of new infections stands at 395 per day — a 95-per cent drop from the height of the record-setting third wave in April.  Hospitalizations also fell below 500 patients nationwide over the weekend for the first time since late September 2020. During the third wave, there were close to 5,000 patients in hospital.

Cautiously :happydance:

My hope is that we get to >70% *total* population vaccinated, and/or 80% of eligible population, by the end of Aug.  Hopefully that gets the country close enough to the fabled 'herd immunity' so that when schools go back in, workers continue to return to the office, and Fall weather kicks in, the inevitable rise in cases will not be drastic or problematic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #703 on: July 20, 2021, 07:53:35 AM »
I'm sure you guys will hit your wall of conservative idiots soon.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #704 on: July 20, 2021, 08:16:20 AM »
An estimated 94% of the Dutch population is willing to be vaccinated at this point in time, which makes me hopeful for my country in general. The vast majority is inclined to at least take medical professionals seriously.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #705 on: July 20, 2021, 08:37:18 AM »
I'm sure you guys will hit your wall of conservative idiots (hosers) soon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #706 on: July 20, 2021, 08:58:35 AM »

True, but that wall is closer to the 80% mark ... not 50%.   :laugh: :P :-\ :'(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #707 on: July 20, 2021, 09:03:07 AM »

My town's school board held a meeting last night and a few parents got up to speak about whether the board would require masks in schools or make them optional.  One dad is a raging conservative, but came prepared with citations of studies and some info about other local school boards' decisions.  I disagree with a lot of the stuff this dad rages against, but he's not ill-informed.

The next mom got up, held up a map of Illinois and showed how it is a blue state, surrounded by red states with no school mask requirements and claimed that our state is "using her children politically" by forcing them to wear a mask and she would move to Wisconsin if masks are required by the schools - all because we live in a blue state.  Then she quoted Fauci from early 2020 when he stated that cloth masks don't work.  GTFO.

Seriously, we're now rehashing crap that is a year and a half old, as if a medical professional isn't allowed to change their mind after new data is available to them?  That kind of stuff drives me crazy.

:facepalm:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: July 20, 2021, 09:09:17 AM »

I've got to say though I don't see the anti vaccine people bragging about it of late on Facebook.  They've seem to go into hiding of late.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #709 on: July 20, 2021, 09:10:43 AM »

*insert laugh into cry gif*

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: July 20, 2021, 09:12:06 AM »

I've got to say though I don't see the anti vaccine people bragging about it of late on Facebook.  They've seem to go into hiding of late.

It's all over twitter and tiktok.  My mom said she is concerned because her tiktok feed has a lot of anti-vax propaganda.  I had to tell her it's BS and that I'm glad she got vaccinated.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: July 20, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »

It's all over twitter and tiktok.  My mom said she is concerned because her tiktok feed has a lot of anti-vax propaganda.  I had to tell her it's BS and that I'm glad she got vaccinated.

I'm talking about those who brag not taking the vaccine.  I honestly haven't seen the regular "Don't tread on me" friends bragging of late.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: July 20, 2021, 09:43:01 AM »

I'm talking about those who brag not taking the vaccine.  I honestly haven't seen the regular "Don't tread on me" friends bragging of late.

Maybe because they are like my sister who is still sick from covid after being all against the vaccine.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: July 20, 2021, 09:45:43 AM »
I tend to think when one is quiet, they realize they were wrong.

For me, when I'm in a funk, I tend not to post. So it makes me wonder what's going on with my friends who are real hardcore left wing when it comes to the vaccine they defiantly rallied against.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #714 on: July 20, 2021, 10:14:10 AM »

Frustrating.   Let's just focus on the one metric that fits the world view.  Republicans!  Goddamn Republicans!   (Let's ignore that only 49% of the unvaccinated identify as Republican, 29% identify as Democrat, and of the vaccinated, 31% of Republicans ARE vaccinated).  If you look at the differentials, age and insured are far bigger differentials than "political party" and education and race are close behind.   

This is NOT a one-variable equation.

I don't mean to knock you, personally, Lonestar, because I tend to think you might be joking, and of course, you're not the only one saying this and perpetuating this.   We've got a problem, and it's not JUST those damn Republicans [Plus, insert all those other things I've posted regarding getting the recalcitrant to change their minds].
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:40:29 AM by Stadler »

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #715 on: July 20, 2021, 10:29:53 AM »
So it's football season (thank goodness) .

The Cowboys report to training camp and have only a 70% team vaccination rate. The NFL cannot mandate vaccinations but teams can enforce other rules like - the Cowboys unvaccinated cannot travel on the same plane as vaccinated players. They have to get tested everyday as opposed to once a week for vaccinated players. They have to wear masks everywhere on campus and socially distance in meetings. And I can see a scenario where teams  cut players or not sign them because they may have limited availability (like a team not signing a player because of injury history). You have to wonder if this season will become a blueprint for larger societal changes.

For instance, they brought us back to the office but all of us are lumped together not knowing who got vaccinated or not. If you get COVID and your job is cannot be done remotely then you have to take sick leave. If you have been vaccinated and you get COVID and your job cannot be done remotely then you have to take sick leave. Seems a little unfair.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #716 on: July 20, 2021, 10:31:13 AM »
Why are people commenting on political affiliations in this thread?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Skeever

« Reply #717 on: July 20, 2021, 10:41:30 AM »
Rising cases in all 50 states. Wooohooo

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #718 on: July 20, 2021, 11:05:23 AM »
Can we please stop derailing the thread with these off-topic discussions and get back to discussing onions?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #719 on: July 20, 2021, 11:07:07 AM »

Frustrating.   Let's just focus on the one metric that fits the world view.  Republicans!  Goddamn Republicans!   (Let's ignore that only 49% of the unvaccinated identify as Republican, 29% identify as Democrat, and of the vaccinated, 31% of Republicans ARE vaccinated).   If you look at the differentials, age and insured are far bigger differentials than "political party" and education and race are close behind.   

I don't mean to knock you, personally, Lonestar, because I tend to think you might be joking, and of course, you're not the only one saying this and perpetuating this.   We've got a problem, and it's not JUST those damn Republicans [Plus, insert all those other things I've posted regarding getting the recalcitrant to change their minds].

I knew I'd hear from you on that one.

I'm coming mostly  from personal experience, in that every smidgen of antivax rhetoric I've seen has been coming from an idiotic, conservative direction.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #720 on: July 20, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »
Can we please stop derailing the thread with these off-topic discussions and get back to discussing onions?

I garnished my enchiladas and frijoles today with green onions, just to spite Tim.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #721 on: July 20, 2021, 11:11:01 AM »
I've seen enough of your Facebook posts to understand that you truly hate conservatives.  (and have often thought that I must have done something to REALLY ingratiate myself to you to have somehow not been unfriended by now)

EDIT:  And green onions are great on SO many things.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #722 on: July 20, 2021, 11:15:10 AM »
I've seen enough of your Facebook posts to understand that you truly hate conservatives.  (and have often thought that I must have done something to REALLY ingratiate myself to you to have somehow not been unfriended by now)

I don't though, and I have plenty of conservative FB friends. I enjoy intelligent discourse, something I learned to enjoy here . I do despise what Trump did to conservatives, and any that follow his lead and blindly attack my friends on my post get deleted quickly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: July 20, 2021, 11:22:16 AM »

I don't though, and I have plenty of conservative FB friends. I enjoy intelligent discourse, something I learned to enjoy here . I do despise what Trump did to conservatives, and any that follow his lead and blindly attack my friends on my post get deleted quickly.

I'm not sure I would use EXACTLY the same language, but if it matters to you, I despise Trump and his legacy as well (there's no snark or sarcasm or innuendo in that statement).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: July 20, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »

Frustrating.   Let's just focus on the one metric that fits the world view.  Republicans!  Goddamn Republicans!   (Let's ignore that only 49% of the unvaccinated identify as Republican, 29% identify as Democrat, and of the vaccinated, 31% of Republicans ARE vaccinated).   If you look at the differentials, age and insured are far bigger differentials than "political party" and education and race are close behind.   

I knew I'd hear from you on that one.

I'm coming mostly  from personal experience, in that every smidgen of antivax rhetoric I've seen has been coming from an idiotic, conservative direction.

And I respect that; I just have a different personal experience.  I know some, but very few, of those stereo-typical "Republicans", but I know a lot that don't fit the mold, and I know people that are anti-vaxx with no political undertone to it.   Maybe it's the north east (again, being dead serious). 

Just on my street I have Trump flags literally right next door to the "In This House, We Believe: [insert liberal agenda]" signs. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: July 20, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »

I like them in my mashed pertaters.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: July 20, 2021, 11:32:15 AM »

I've never seen you flaunt green onions as absolutes on Facebook.  An onion extremist.

No posters on Facebook saying, "Green Onions: 2024.  Make Onions Great Again."

Now that's where you'd cross the "RJ" line.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: July 20, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »

I like them in my mashed pertaters.

Potato skins with green onions ftw

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #728 on: July 20, 2021, 11:34:59 AM »
I can literally feel Tim cringing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: July 20, 2021, 11:35:35 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #730 on: July 20, 2021, 11:38:50 AM »
I garnished my enchiladas and frijoles today with green onions, just to spite Tim.

I have never heard Scallions being referred to as green onions until today, but it makes sense I guess  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: July 20, 2021, 11:46:40 AM »
I can literally feel Tim cringing.

Imagine onion in a carriage returned to tie corral?  :mindblown:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #732 on: July 20, 2021, 12:02:46 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #733 on: July 20, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »
 :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #734 on: July 20, 2021, 12:23:25 PM »
Best thing about green onions is that they hit that sweet spot of (1) adds great flavor to almost anything, and (2) incredibly easy to grow.  On point #2, you can be the worst ever at gardening, stick some of these in the ground, and still end up with a never-ending abundance.  Once you start, you never have to shop for them again.  Anytime you need some, you've got fresh ones to harvest at any given moment.