Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195343 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #630 on: July 17, 2021, 04:33:23 AM »
Scallions are what every fucking restaurant feels the need to chop and serve on top of whatever dish you order. If I get them I send it back and tell them to make me a whole new plate. And if I think they simply picked them off, I still demand a new meal! Assholes!

The sea was angry that day, my friends!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #631 on: July 17, 2021, 05:47:09 AM »
Zucchini
Summer squash
Kale
Tomatoes (4 varieties)
Red leaf lettuce
Green leaf lettuce
Cauliflower
Brussel sprouts
Green beans
Cucumbers
Green beans
Sugar snap peas
Asparagus
Chives
Green onion
Rhubarb
Grapes
Blueberries
Strawberries
Swiss chard
Spinach
And many herbs

Oh, and hops for beer.

I for some reason read that in my head like the Pokemon rap.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #632 on: July 17, 2021, 06:02:13 AM »
Scallions are what every fucking restaurant feels the need to chop and serve on top of whatever dish you order. If I get them I send it back and tell them to make me a whole new plate. And if I think they simply picked them off, I still demand a new meal! Assholes!

With all due respect, don't ever come to my place.

Nah, you can do better than that. If someone is so insecure in their plate that they need to add something pretty and green on top, then why not parsley or a twig of something that I can easily remove. Why add something so pungent that it fucks with the flavor profile? Plus try picking them out of mashed potatoes. Fuck that. It’s going back.

First, I was just kidding around. But honestly, I hope you ask for no onions when you order, since that shit is everywhere. Personally I'd never use them as a garnish, I tend more towards micro greens or a nice salsa or relish.

Picking them out of the dish and sending it back to the customer is a cardinal sin in a kitchen.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: July 17, 2021, 06:04:01 AM »
*opens thread* hrmm I'm behind a few pages, let me just skip to the end *sees TAC flipping out over scallions and a list of produce*

Interesting turn of events on this thread :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: July 17, 2021, 06:09:45 AM »

Nah, you can do better than that. If someone is so insecure in their plate that they need to add something pretty and green on top, then why not parsley or a twig of something that I can easily remove. Why add something so pungent that it fucks with the flavor profile? Plus try picking them out of mashed potatoes. Fuck that. It’s going back.

Do you tell the servers with every meal not to add these no matter what you order?   :lol  As there are not normally listed on the menu items as they are just used as a light garnish.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #635 on: July 17, 2021, 06:22:50 AM »

Do you tell the servers with every meal not to add these no matter what you order?   :lol  As there are not normally listed on the menu items as they are just used as a light garnish.

I know from posts elsewhere that he abhors onions, so I'd hope so.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: July 17, 2021, 06:36:54 AM »
Had some basic chicken breasts tonight with a shit ton of grilled white caramalised onions actually, was glorious.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 07:07:34 AM by wolfking »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #637 on: July 17, 2021, 06:46:18 AM »
I'm waiting for a mod to come in and tell us all to take it to the food thread...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: July 17, 2021, 07:08:31 AM »
I always have red onions raw in salads too.  So good.

I'm waiting for a mod to come in and tell us all to take it to the food thread...

It's Ben 's fault.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #639 on: July 17, 2021, 07:50:35 AM »

It's Ben 's fault.

It usually is.

Onions are god tier food, anyone who thinks otherwise has a dead palate.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: July 17, 2021, 07:51:13 AM »
Onions really are amazing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #641 on: July 17, 2021, 07:55:13 AM »
So what you’re all saying is that if we just ate more onions, we’d all be naturally immune to COVID?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #642 on: July 17, 2021, 08:03:33 AM »
So what you’re all saying is that if we just ate more onions, we’d all be naturally immune to COVID?

Except Tim...cause he hates fucking onions.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #643 on: July 17, 2021, 09:09:30 AM »

I’m anti-onion. I refuse to be onionated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #644 on: July 17, 2021, 09:16:37 AM »

Listen, I don’t want to ridicule or berate you for your position. But let’s really get raw with it. Let’s peel back some of those layers and have a good cry. See if a bulb goes off.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #645 on: July 17, 2021, 09:20:25 AM »

Listen, I don’t want to ridicule or berate you for your position. But let’s really get raw with it. Let’s peel back some of those layers and have a good cry. See if a bulb goes off.

We don’t know the side effects. What if I turn red? Or what if rings appear? What if I start blooming’?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #646 on: July 17, 2021, 09:41:09 AM »

It's Ben 's fault.

It's not unrelated as I did post about Edible Vaccines, yet the discussion went more towards gardening and Tim's dislike for Scallions.  :lol

Here's some more info about Edible Vaccines...

Some scientists believe that vaccines could be produced in edible plants, such as bananas or potatoes, which would then provide the delivery vehicle. This approach would yield vaccines that are needle-free and require no adjuvants, chemicals that stimulate the immune response. When the plant is ingested, the plant cell walls would protect the vaccine antigens from degradation by stomach acid and digestive enzymes. Then in the intestine, the antigens would be released and transported into the circulatory system. Edible vaccines would stimulate both mucosal and systemic immunity, providing a higher level of protection than traditional vaccines.
https://biosecurity.fas.org/education/dualuse-agriculture/2.-agricultural-biotechnology/making-edible-vaccines-in-plants.html

https://www.biotechnologynotes.com/transgenic-plants/edible-vaccines-applications-advantages-and-limitations/627
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: July 17, 2021, 09:57:48 AM »

It's Ben 's fault.

It usually is.

:spitcoffee:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: July 17, 2021, 10:10:03 AM »
As someone who is against mandating the vaccine I think one point that is often missed in these discussions about "these people made their choice and now they reap the consequences" is that the risk of continuing and often more potent mutations of the virus increases in large part because of the population that opts not to vaccinate.  Or in populations that for whatever reason cannot (yet) get vaccinated.  The more potent mutations could eventually jump the vaccine and then even those of us who are jabbed could be fucked.

This exactly.

Just saying that anyone can get it who wants it is great.  Wish for more vaccinations all you want*, but the reality is 40%+ of the US are unvaccinated.  Are you just going to ignore or disregard them?  Not provide them healthcare?  Hospitals can still be overwhelmed with the Delta variant - and subsequent/potential others.  How do you protect that 40% from themselves (collectively), or do you (royal) just not care?

*insert Bad Santa line here.

We're going to do what we always do when people do things that have (undue) risk.  When those skiers jump out of helicopters and get caught in an avalanche, we go save them.  When boaters get caught too far ashore in a storm they can't navigate, we go save them.  When someone eats McDonald's and Diet Coke to the point they need a crane to get out of bed, we go help them.   When people have unprotected sex and end up with an STD, we treat them.

Except those skiiers, boaters, McDonald's eaters, and bareback fuckers aren't creating 10s or potentially 100s of thousands of daily illnesses that continue to spread, many requiring hospitalization.  Seems like a false equivalency.  Actions and choices of undue risk are different from actions and choices that spread public un-health.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: July 17, 2021, 10:15:11 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately my impression is that many of those who have been using the lack of full FDA authorization as a rationale for not taking the vaccine will simply find another reason to not take it.  I watched a video of a guy yesterday, it was taken the day before he died from complications of the caronavirus and in the video he rants about how the "china virus is a hoax" in between gasps of air in his oxygen mask.  Swears he just has a "bad flu" and will be "back on his feet in a couple of days" at the end of the video it said he died the next morning, basically suffocated to death as his lungs filled up with fluid because he never got vaccinated and caught the delta variant.  He lived 10 days from the onset of symptoms and spent 9 days, 23 and a half hours of it ranting and raving about vaccine conspiracy theories, only when he was minutes from death did he admit that he might have made a mistake.  I don't cry a lot but that video made me cry when I saw his daughter's reaction to the news.  His 6 year old daughter.  Fuck.  :(   I tried to find the video but they made it private.

IMO, citing the lack of FORMAL approval from the FDA as the cause to not get vaccinated is irrational, and for most people is probably a 'front' for other reasons to not get it.  I'll bet next week's paycheque that formal approval doesn't move the needle AT ALL to increase daily vaccinations.  Serious as a heart attack.  Anyone wanna make that bet with me?  I'll even give odds at + 190

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: July 17, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »
I agree with you on that last part Marc, and am going to be fucking pissed if they reinstate mask mandates here...

Local bay area health officials, who cater to about 10 million people in the bay area, have 'strongly recommended' that vaccinated people wear masks indoors.... To protect the unvaccinated...
:zeltar:

Boy, that didn't take long, eh?  It's only a matter of time that places start legislating it again.  My guess is it's no later than the end of the month for a LOT of local / state decisions. 

Remember everyone, the data that is seen at any given time around the cases/hospitalizations is as a result of actions 2-3 weeks prior.  What ya'll are seeing now is the result of the long weekend festivities and gatherings, as well as restrictions that were loosened at the end of June.

It's infuriating those that care about public health* are "infringed" upon due to the people that seemingly don't**

*Those that willingly and graciously accepted the mask requirements in the past, as well as went out and got vaccinated.
** Those that won't get vaccinated are the primary cause for the spread increasing again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: July 17, 2021, 07:30:46 PM »

damn, I love the flavor scallions bring! This is more offensive than some of the anti vaccine comments here  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: July 18, 2021, 04:51:55 AM »
Local bay area health officials, who cater to about 10 million people in the bay area, have 'strongly recommended' that vaccinated people wear masks indoors.... To protect the unvaccinated...

Saw this cause Chad quoted it but regardless of my sitting with a fence up my ass, this is where I start to take offense.  I fucking hate wearing these masks out.  I can be in the grocery store for 10 minutes and I can't wait to rip this thing from my face.

Getting rid of masks would probably be one of the tipping points in me taking a jab truthfully, but if I got a shot for whatever reason and I had to wear a mask to protect people that haven't gotten a shot, now fuck that and fuck them.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #653 on: July 18, 2021, 07:22:06 AM »
As someone who is against mandating the vaccine I think one point that is often missed in these discussions about "these people made their choice and now they reap the consequences" is that the risk of continuing and often more potent mutations of the virus increases in large part because of the population that opts not to vaccinate.  Or in populations that for whatever reason cannot (yet) get vaccinated.  The more potent mutations could eventually jump the vaccine and then even those of us who are jabbed could be fucked.

This is the exact reason why I AM for vaccine mandates and no I am not advocating knocking down doors and prick people at gunpoint but I do think the unvaccinated privilege's need to be curtailed.

It's maddening to me that we restrict peoples liberties all the time in the name of saving lives but we can't do it with this health crisis? Good fucking grief, I'm tired of wearing masks too but the unvaccinated will ensure that this will keep happening and because of the data we now have, we can point the finger right at the source of the problem.

Call me selfish but I for one WANT a return to normalcy even if we have to curb "liberties" because I AM concerned about a variant jumping the virus and if this happens then as you say, we're ALL fucked.

That's easy to say when you don't value the liberties you're taking from other people as highly as they do.  Why does your fear of being sick trump someone else's fear of putting something they don't want in their body (for whatever reason)

The problem with mandates, of course, is enforcing them.  There's little concern with childhood mandates, because even if you prevent them from going to school, the "patient" has alternatives (home school, no school, etc., which only really compounds the problem; now you have an un- or poorly educated, unvaccinated child).  What are you going to do?  Prevent them from going to Starbucks?  Fine them?  Okay, so the town is $100 richer, but we're still faced with an unvaccinated person who's now pissed off that he was made to spend the $100 to protect what was his to begin with.

Still far better off trying to educate and push for as high a rate as we can from the people willing, and as in depth an outreach as we can for those that appear now to be unwilling.

Oh I value liberty all right. In fact, I would argue I value liberty more than the ones arguing for not getting vaccinated because their choice may get people killed so yeah, my (and others) concerns that a variant might jump the vaccine supersedes others rights. Think if typhoid Mary were allowed to keep cooking how many more people would have died. Are you good with her being free to do this?

Look, I am all for outreach for the uneducated but there are those who refuse to get vaccinated for either political reasons or religious reasons and they pose a clear and present danger to all of our civil liberties.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #654 on: July 18, 2021, 07:36:30 AM »

Saw this cause Chad quoted it but regardless of my sitting with a fence up my ass, this is where I start to take offense.  I fucking hate wearing these masks out.  I can be in the grocery store for 10 minutes and I can't wait to rip this thing from my face.

Getting rid of masks would probably be one of the tipping points in me taking a jab truthfully, but if I got a shot for whatever reason and I had to wear a mask to protect people that haven't gotten a shot, now fuck that and fuck them.

My feelings exactly...and I'd say were a few percentage points in the positivity rate from it being 'strongly recommended' to a mandate.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #655 on: July 18, 2021, 07:56:58 AM »

My feelings exactly...and I'd say were a few percentage points in the positivity rate from it being 'strongly recommended' to a mandate.
My feelings too. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #656 on: July 18, 2021, 08:00:42 AM »

I so want to see that in action.   :) :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #657 on: July 18, 2021, 08:15:04 AM »
It has happened.

When I order a burger, I tell the wait staff ahead of time that I do NOT want the onion/tomato/lettuce set up on the plate. I've also learned that these are all sitting in a fridge already prepped, because I've asked for no onion, and the lettuce and tomato still smell and taste like onion.

If the wait staff asks if I want lettuce and tomato, I make it clear that I don't want it from the setup.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: July 18, 2021, 08:22:25 AM »

This exactly.

Just saying that anyone can get it who wants it is great.  Wish for more vaccinations all you want*, but the reality is 40%+ of the US are unvaccinated.  Are you just going to ignore or disregard them?  Not provide them healthcare?  Hospitals can still be overwhelmed with the Delta variant - and subsequent/potential others.  How do you protect that 40% from themselves (collectively), or do you (royal) just not care?

*insert Bad Santa line here.

We're going to do what we always do when people do things that have (undue) risk.  When those skiers jump out of helicopters and get caught in an avalanche, we go save them.  When boaters get caught too far ashore in a storm they can't navigate, we go save them.  When someone eats McDonald's and Diet Coke to the point they need a crane to get out of bed, we go help them.   When people have unprotected sex and end up with an STD, we treat them.

Except those skiiers, boaters, McDonald's eaters, and bareback fuckers aren't creating 10s or potentially 100s of thousands of daily illnesses that continue to spread, many requiring hospitalization.  Seems like a false equivalency.  Actions and choices of undue risk are different from actions and choices that spread public un-health.

Everything I say is a false equivalency according to some.  So be it.  I tend to see the world as a more strategic place, whereas most people tend to see the world as a more tactical place.  I've been dealing with this for going on 54 years now and I'm at peace with it.   FOR ME, the false equivalency is and always has been in inserting YOUR judgement, in this case as to what is "undue".

Take that skier, and factor in the cost of saving that ONE person, and when you do that, make sure you add in all the training, all the equipment, all the readiness that goes into that ONE rescue that isn't a cat in a tree.   Factor in the time drain from dedicating resources to that ONE rescue and what they could be accomplishing if they were allowed to spread their "touch" to the community at large.   

Now contrast with the fact that there are ALREADY 10 or 100's of thousands of viruses out there that can make you seriously sick or kill you, and we're adding one more to the mix.  If you're that worried about contracting an air-borne virus, you ought to be already.  If that's the case, wear a mask; no one is stopping you, no one can tell you otherwise.  THIS is the devil we know, so this is the devil we focus on.   That doesn't make it the ONLY devil in our midst. 

As for mutations, despite the deplorable assholes that are dragging this country into the sewer because <GASP!> they don't vote like we do (I kid!, I kid!), we still have one of the better vaccination rates on the planet.  I'm no virologist, but if the virus is going to mutate, I'm pretty sure its not going to say "well, let me stick it to those Trump-loving, "I will not consent" assholes living in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, how about that!".   If you're going to play the odds, PLAY THE ODDS, not just the odds that fit the worldview or are confined to our little piece of geography.  We've already done more than our share of improving our planet's chances of minimizing the potentiality of a mutation, and we're still very much exposed to the possibility of a mutation regardless of whether Eric, Jr. gets the shot.  And if that mutation jumps the vaccine, it's going to jump the vaccine regardless.

I certainly do get the idea of doing everything we, individually, can do to help the population as a whole - and I've done it; I'm fully vaccinated, as is my entire immediate family other than my 13-year-old step son - but for me, some of this analysis and some of these concerns transcend that.   And as much as some of us seem abhorred by the idea of a reinstitution of a mask/social distance environment, it's likely going to be the least restrictive means of addressing the public health issue (that's a requirement of law), since it can be applied regionally, and involves no invasion of personal privacy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #659 on: July 18, 2021, 08:24:16 AM »
Stadler....what's the difference between strategic and tactical? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: July 18, 2021, 08:24:28 AM »
It has happened.

When I order a burger, I tell the wait staff ahead of time that I do NOT want the onion/tomato/lettuce set up on the plate. I've also learned that these are all sitting in a fridge already prepped, because I've asked for no onion, and the lettuce and tomato still smell and taste like onion.

If the wait staff asks if I want lettuce and tomato, I make it clear that I don't want it from the setup.

For various reasons, my stepson is the same way (his burgers are meat and cheese, that's it; he doesn't even want the pickle juice to get in the bun as it sometimes does) and we have to go through something similar.  I will give you this: I know they have to run a business, but it's frustrating how often people in that position don't listen or aren't given the flexibility to move beyond the process when the situation warrants.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: July 18, 2021, 08:25:05 AM »

Seriously, or no?  I see the "lol", but a lot of people don't understand the difference.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #662 on: July 18, 2021, 08:26:58 AM »

Seriously, or no?  I see the "lol", but a lot of people don't understand the difference.

Well, I guess I don't understand either. I read that in the first paragraph, and thought...I'm already confused.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: July 18, 2021, 08:29:08 AM »

This is the exact reason why I AM for vaccine mandates and no I am not advocating knocking down doors and prick people at gunpoint but I do think the unvaccinated privilege's need to be curtailed.

It's maddening to me that we restrict peoples liberties all the time in the name of saving lives but we can't do it with this health crisis? Good fucking grief, I'm tired of wearing masks too but the unvaccinated will ensure that this will keep happening and because of the data we now have, we can point the finger right at the source of the problem.

Call me selfish but I for one WANT a return to normalcy even if we have to curb "liberties" because I AM concerned about a variant jumping the virus and if this happens then as you say, we're ALL fucked.

That's easy to say when you don't value the liberties you're taking from other people as highly as they do.  Why does your fear of being sick trump someone else's fear of putting something they don't want in their body (for whatever reason)

The problem with mandates, of course, is enforcing them.  There's little concern with childhood mandates, because even if you prevent them from going to school, the "patient" has alternatives (home school, no school, etc., which only really compounds the problem; now you have an un- or poorly educated, unvaccinated child).  What are you going to do?  Prevent them from going to Starbucks?  Fine them?  Okay, so the town is $100 richer, but we're still faced with an unvaccinated person who's now pissed off that he was made to spend the $100 to protect what was his to begin with.

Still far better off trying to educate and push for as high a rate as we can from the people willing, and as in depth an outreach as we can for those that appear now to be unwilling.

Oh I value liberty all right. In fact, I would argue I value liberty more than the ones arguing for not getting vaccinated because their choice may get people killed so yeah, my (and others) concerns that a variant might jump the vaccine supersedes others rights. Think if typhoid Mary were allowed to keep cooking how many more people would have died. Are you good with her being free to do this?

Well, there's a slight difference of "knowledge".   If I KNOW I'm contagious - not "might be", but "know for certain" - it's a different animal.

Look, I am all for outreach for the uneducated but there are those who refuse to get vaccinated for either political reasons or religious reasons and they pose a clear and present danger to all of our civil liberties.

No, they don't and you haven't shown that they do.  You do NOT have a right to never be sick.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: July 18, 2021, 08:40:46 AM »

Well, I guess I don't understand either. I read that in the first paragraph, and thought...I'm already confused.

Strategic thinking is over all-plan, the set of goals, the general roadmap.  The jump from "A" to "C".   Steve Jobs "creating" the iPod.

Tactical thinking is the linear "A" to "B" to "C".  The harddrive will be physical media, there will be a "hold" button, the "wheel" will be a series of microswitches that feed input to the processor...

In a more general sense, it's the difference between thinking of the cause/effect/correlation of two or three discrete variables, versus the more macro "these are ALL the variables that factor in, and what is the outcome?".  Strategic thinking is hard and unrewarding, because there are rarely easy outcomes and there are rarely nice, concise starts and ends.  Tactical thinking tends - doesn't always, but tends - to ignore the collateral damage and the unintended consequences.