Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195522 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2021, 08:10:55 AM »

Interesting how some people assume what your views are based on you questioning the government, media, un-elected bureaucrats, failed doctors like Fauci, and billionaire college drop outs, over an experimental drug that is one step short of being forced onto the general public, when the general public has not been at risk with this virus, only a small minority, of which an even smaller minority have succumbed to the virus.

I'll be honest; I'm not always down with everything you say (and I'll cop to not always understanding it), but on this you're getting warmer.  There are a LOT of assumptions in today's intellectual market, and while that's not bad in and of itself, when it's coupled with the judgement and the de rigeuer partisan ad hominem attacks that invariably go along with it ("deplorable" "radical", "unhinged", "failed") it chills an important essence of what was, at least philosophically, supposed to be an integral part of the American form of democracy.

It is quite interesting to me that you so regularly choose to take the position of defending a post like this that is full of fallacious and false information just because you can glean a little kernel from it and use that to dangle some form of "I'm right about something you all don't see!" over the heads of everyone else. You're a smart guy, but is feeling intellectually one-step ahead of the rest of the forums at all times really that important to you?

I've seen you respond to several interesting, thoughtful posts on this forum (several of them authored by yours truly) by picking out a sentence or two you don't like and using that as an excuse to rationalize throwing out the entirety of someone else's point. Here you quote a post where 3/4ths of the ideas articulated are completely false, and respond with "you're getting warmer, here's how you're right about why everyone else here is being unreasonable!"

Stop.   Not "defending" anything, and I'm not "throwing out" anything.  Jingle, Cram, and Lonestar do not need more stats from me to make their point. For fuck's sake, read what I wrote about assumptions.   That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. DON'T ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT MY POSITION IS BECAUSE I POINT OUT ONE THING.   

I am pro-vax (up to the point of forcing people to take them).   I am anti-conspiracy theory.   I can't say that enough, and I said it in that post.   I am also, first and foremost, against the sort of partisan "you're dumb" back and forth that, supposedly, "delivers".  Let's be able to talk about ALL aspects of this without a ton of presupposition.  I did not in any way say that the REST of his position is "warmer" because he got close on one thing.  I said he's getting warm because THAT point had some truth.   Why not look at it that the dude is getting POUNDED by you all - and I threw him a bone, fair is fair.  Why are some of you so scared to acknowledge that it's not a matter of "100% right side of history! and 100% bat-shit turbo crazy!"    We're ALLOWED to disagree with nuance.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2021, 08:19:20 AM »
And here's the point:  if the "I'm not getting vaccinated!" crowd is somehow "polluted" by the mis- and dis-information out there, why are the "we should ALL be vaccinated NOW!" crowd somehow immune, even if it's a matter of degree?   Why does the focus on these issues - falsehoods, conspiracies - always seem to flow along party/ideological lines?

There's a difference between forming your opinion on what you see on social media vs. what the data shows and it's hard to argue against the data but very easy to see how someone's claims are polluted when they make little sense when you look at what they are basing their thoughts on.  I don't know why this happens to also fall along party lines, that's very concerning to me, but it also follows along education levels too which makes more sense.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2021, 08:24:01 AM »

They didn't have the technology for medication like we do today as well as the communication to get the info out there like in earlier pandemics.

People also weren't as connected and united in communication as much as we are today. People did not fly all over and make it easier to spread those Virus.

A lot of why Natives caught these bad diseases was because they were introduced to vectors. They were forced to go to these places that were infested with the diseases. They were fine until these people came and brought their nasty unsanitary bodies from the contagious ships.

Our medicine was herbs and plants, we ate these because they had properties for our bodies that kept us in good shape. We knew not to overindulge in food. We had techniques to utilize the healing properties of these plants. That is Our "Technology for Medication". So who are you to say we didn't have "Technology for Medication". What if our evidence was destroyed and burned and is now in the ruins of the destroyed cities?

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: July 12, 2021, 08:24:44 AM »
Keep in mind that chart is for cases, not deaths, which have significantly dropped, long before any vaccine roll outs.

No they didn't.

Data taken from here: https://covid.ourworldindata.org/data/owid-covid-data.csv
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Skeever

« Reply #354 on: July 12, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »
Why?  Because you have no "right" to a zero-risk existence.  That's the fallacy.  You're at risk every single day based on the acts/omissions/decisions of others.  Some obvious and direct, others not so obvious and more consequential.

As someone who has both a child and a parent who are in higher risk categories, I'm totally aware of this. So how am I supposed to interact with a guy like darkshade in a way that respects the solemn "American principles" you have invoked? Seems to me like my only answer would be to stay as far away from possible from people like him. Just as I have had to do with my inlaws who must subscribe to the same alternative news sources. Sorry, but you don't get to say that people need to meet each other in the middle under any other conditions but compromise. Practically speaking, there is no "middle" if there is no compromise. There are just two sides that ignore eachother and call eachother crazy. That is where you personally are totally off the mark in your quest to uncover some kind of principle in darkshade's posts here. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND WITH PEOPLE WHO WILL NOT COMPROMISE. Why not ask darkshade what he is willing to do in order to help combat COVID? @darkshade, if I promise not to ask you about whether you got your little shot yet, what will you promise to do for me and others who are worried about the spread of this pandemic in our communities?

Suddenly now it makes sense why we totally dismiss and disassociate from those we disagree with in this country.
darkshade has continuously hammered on the idea of totalitarianism yet his whole view on this subject stems from the idea that COVID only kills a "minority of minorities". Ok, so? That's still significant. And I'm in with that minority. Does that mean I am to expect nothing from my society and my nation because "the majority" will be fine? Sorry, that is way closer to some kind of totalitarianism than ANY mask mandate or other sort of emergency regulations. You can invoke "American values" all you want but the idea that we only take actions and plan around the majority and any inconvenience for the sake of the minority is "tyranny" is an idea that would have more currency in a place such as 1960s China.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #355 on: July 12, 2021, 08:30:12 AM »

Interesting how some people assume what your views are based on you questioning the government, media, un-elected bureaucrats, failed doctors like Fauci, and billionaire college drop outs, over an experimental drug that is one step short of being forced onto the general public, when the general public has not been at risk with this virus, only a small minority, of which an even smaller minority have succumbed to the virus.

I'll be honest; I'm not always down with everything you say (and I'll cop to not always understanding it), but on this you're getting warmer.  There are a LOT of assumptions in today's intellectual market, and while that's not bad in and of itself, when it's coupled with the judgement and the de rigeuer partisan ad hominem attacks that invariably go along with it ("deplorable" "radical", "unhinged", "failed") it chills an important essence of what was, at least philosophically, supposed to be an integral part of the American form of democracy.

It is quite interesting to me that you so regularly choose to take the position of defending a post like this that is full of fallacious and false information just because you can glean a little kernel from it and use that to dangle some form of "I'm right about something you all don't see!" over the heads of everyone else. You're a smart guy, but is feeling intellectually one-step ahead of the rest of the forums at all times really that important to you?

I've seen you respond to several interesting, thoughtful posts on this forum (several of them authored by yours truly) by picking out a sentence or two you don't like and using that as an excuse to rationalize throwing out the entirety of someone else's point. Here you quote a post where 3/4ths of the ideas articulated are completely false, and respond with "you're getting warmer, here's how you're right about why everyone else here is being unreasonable!"

Stop.   Not "defending" anything, and I'm not "throwing out" anything.  Jingle, Cram, and Lonestar do not need more stats from me to make their point. For fuck's sake, read what I wrote about assumptions.   That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. DON'T ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT MY POSITION IS BECAUSE I POINT OUT ONE THING.   

I am pro-vax (up to the point of forcing people to take them).   I am anti-conspiracy theory.   I can't say that enough, and I said it in that post.   I am also, first and foremost, against the sort of partisan "you're dumb" back and forth that, supposedly, "delivers".  Let's be able to talk about ALL aspects of this without a ton of presupposition.  I did not in any way say that the REST of his position is "warmer" because he got close on one thing.  I said he's getting warm because THAT point had some truth.   Why not look at it that the dude is getting POUNDED by you all - and I threw him a bone, fair is fair.  Why are some of you so scared to acknowledge that it's not a matter of "100% right side of history! and 100% bat-shit turbo crazy!"    We're ALLOWED to disagree with nuance.

See my above post. Your entire objective with defending darkshade is completely fallacious. There is no "middle ground" and "mutual acceptance" if there is no compromise. All we can do is disagree if both sides are unwilling to change ANY of their behaviors as part of a greater commitment.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #356 on: July 12, 2021, 08:45:03 AM »
Keep in mind that chart is for cases, not deaths, which have significantly dropped, long before any vaccine roll outs.

No they didn't.

The data proves we are out of the pandemic, and those not vaccinated don't necessarily need it. This doesn't account for those with antibodies.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #357 on: July 12, 2021, 08:46:20 AM »
Hard to take darkshade serious when he calls Dr. Fauci  a "Failed Dr."  No one that fails get put into the position he is in now and what he has achieved over his medical career.

Honestly trying to gauge what is needed with an ever changing virus is like a weatherman predicting the weather.  It's unpredictable.  People like darkshade, in their minds, he failed.  Fits their narrative.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: July 12, 2021, 08:50:15 AM »
And here's the point:  if the "I'm not getting vaccinated!" crowd is somehow "polluted" by the mis- and dis-information out there, why are the "we should ALL be vaccinated NOW!" crowd somehow immune, even if it's a matter of degree?   Why does the focus on these issues - falsehoods, conspiracies - always seem to flow along party/ideological lines?

There's a difference between forming your opinion on what you see on social media vs. what the data shows and it's hard to argue against the data but very easy to see how someone's claims are polluted when they make little sense when you look at what they are basing their thoughts on.  I don't know why this happens to also fall along party lines, that's very concerning to me, but it also follows along education levels too which makes more sense.

I don't disagree with that at all.  And the data is pretty clear.  But there are other aspects to this that transcend vaccines, and that transcend that hard data.   Again, Florida and California, Texas and Connecticut.  They attacked this very differently, and yet have results that are if not identical then at least consistent.   I don't see this as strictly about data and graphs.

Marc, it falls on educational lines and economic lines far more than political lines (the "I can predict how you voted by whether you're vaccinated" line of reasoning that was discussed a while ago notwithstanding).   There was an article in the Times that talked about the educational impacts of COVID and it focused heavily on economic and racial lines.  Thankfully, they avoided the typical "bipartisan" excuse.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #360 on: July 12, 2021, 08:53:26 AM »

See my above post. Your entire objective with defending darkshade is completely fallacious. There is no "middle ground" and "mutual acceptance" if there is no compromise. All we can do is disagree if both sides are unwilling to change ANY of their behaviors as part of a greater commitment.

Greater commitment to what exactly?

Getting people to change mindsets and how they think about things totally reminds me of "Kill the Indian, save the man."

Are you pro or anti vaccines? Because this is the measure Darkshade suggests is a tool for totalitarianism and unnecessary for "the least deadly pandemic ever".

FORCING each and every person to get a vaccine, without a vote or other means of civil disobedience, and with punishment for non-compliance, is pretty darn close to totalitarianism.   

Fair, but (and on this we do not see eye-to-eye), why should someone's decision to not get vaccinated then also put my health at risk?  This is what I take issue with.  I think public and private institutions should have the ability to limit access to services and/or facilities for those that put others' health at risk because of their decisions / actions.  If they want to put their own health at risk - hey, go for it.  But don't in turn put mine at risk. 

I think we need to develop quick/rapid/instant tests that are accurate for those that refuse to vaccinate.  If they have an alternative, then they can get access to services/facilities.

Why?  Because you have no "right" to a zero-risk existence.  That's the fallacy.  You're at risk every single day based on the acts/omissions/decisions of others.  Some obvious and direct, others not so obvious and more consequential.   No rights are absolute; in a democratic society, rights are relative, relative to those rights of those around you.  I don't have the right to kill you... unless you abuse my right to privacy.  You have the right to free speech... unless you abuse my right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness (you cannot slander/libel me).   All rights have some level of compromise as they butt against someone else's right, and so here with the added proviso that you arguably don't have the "right" that is being compromised to begin with.   I've often suggested that when having this conversation, insert "abortion" in with "vaccine" because the premise is the same, the rights in question are the same, and the analysis is the same.

We KNOW that an abortion - by an individual woman - has societal impacts.  There is cost, there is impact on things like crime, etc.  But do we MANDATE abortions? Absolutely not, and when legislature gets uppity in terms of putting any framework around abortion, WE get uppity (myself included).   All on the premise that a woman's rights to privacy are sacrosanct, regardless of the impact to others or society. 

To add an example to how others decisions affect our health everyday. All you need to do is look at the decisions made by these companies that are causing toxicity to us humans. Look at how much pollution is in a major city, compared to a rural area.

Honestly, these big cities are too compact, health problems are causes of this condition and environment. It's unhealthy, and the only way people see a better life if to leave those cities. You have people wanting to live off the grid, away from this because they see it as unhealthy and sickening.

You realize how infested and unsanitary cities are? Those actions of every homeless person peeing on the side, the exhaust fumes from the many cars and busses that spread those chemicals that are harmful to the air into a crowd of peoples lungs.

These actions of driving in a congested city, rather than biking, are causing many Health Issues to those whom walk the streets. Yet, they're unaware of it and see no harm. Because it's not immediate harm.

It's still killing you, and other things are still killing you. We are actually dying a little every day.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2021, 08:55:22 AM »

No they didn't.

The data proves we are out of the pandemic, and those not vaccinated don't necessarily need it. This doesn't account for those with antibodies.

See, the correct response there would be "Oh it seems like my previous statement was a lie/false. I apologise."

In any case:

1. Cases are exponentially growing again in multiple countries with similar vaccine rates, and you can see an uptick in cases on the first graph in the USA as well, so to declare the pandemic over would be exceedingly premature.
2. While there is promising data to suggest that antibody protection post COVID is decent (see: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01442-9) variants could present a problem, as very little of the US number of cases were due to the more problematic delta variant, and additionally the total confirmed cases is less than 10% of the US population, which even assuming there is no overlap between infected and vaccinated (a pretty rubbish assumption), it still does not raise the protected population to the percentages required for herd immunity to kick in.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2021, 08:58:08 AM »
 :lol

We really need a dumpster fire emote.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2021, 08:59:10 AM »

I don't disagree with that at all.  And the data is pretty clear.  But there are other aspects to this that transcend vaccines, and that transcend that hard data.   Again, Florida and California, Texas and Connecticut.  They attacked this very differently, and yet have results that are if not identical then at least consistent.   I don't see this as strictly about data and graphs.

Today's discussion hasn't really been about lockdowns so the comparisons of how states handled it, to me at least, wasn't part of my thought process.  I think there's still a lot of debate about the right and wrong ways to handle covid.  I'm not sure I know the answers either. 

NJ, for example, was one of the worst states in terms of infections/deaths and had some of the strictest restrictions.  Some of it might be explainable, as the state was hit early before there was mass testing and too many unknowns at the time on how to help people with infections, and they had their mistake of putting covid patients into LTC facilities. Also the most densely populated state so people in close quarters are very likely to spread.  So while one can say, the restrictions helped make the numbers not be as bad as they could be, they were still so bad, that maybe the restrictions hurt more than they helped.  I don't know.  There may likely never be data that shows that to be the case.  However, what we do have data on is how the vaccines work.  NJ is one of the top states for vaccinations and we've actually seen some days of 0 deaths.  NJ has been fully opened and things are normal here.  While I don't think I will ever know how our governence truly affected the outcomes, I know for a fact as of today, the vaccinations are why we are here. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2021, 09:07:24 AM »
As a point of comparison, Sweden had much high numbers of cases and case rates compared to its neighbour Denmark in spite of a much lower nationwide population density. And Sweden basically had very lax restrictions for the first 50-70% of the pandemic. They only started to lock down harder come Winter, and even then it wasn't that restricted.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: July 12, 2021, 09:12:43 AM »
Hard to take darkshade serious when he calls Dr. Fauci  a "Failed Dr."

https://www.aier.org/article/fauci-was-duplicitous-on-the-aids-epidemic-too/
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/whitewashing-aids-history_b_4762295
https://iotwreport.com/fauci-authorized-aids-vaccine-experiments-on-mentally-disabled-foster-children/

Sure.  If it was all true he'd still be in the position he's in today?  I think not.  Think about it.  If he really had unauthorized testing would he still be in the position he was today?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2021, 09:23:27 AM »
This thread never fails to deliver.

This thread is a virus.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2021, 09:25:34 AM »

This thread is a virus.

100% :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2021, 09:27:43 AM »
As a point of comparison, Sweden had much high numbers of cases and case rates compared to its neighbour Denmark in spite of a much lower nationwide population density. And Sweden basically had very lax restrictions for the first 50-70% of the pandemic. They only started to lock down harder come Winter, and even then it wasn't that restricted.

Also, another point of comparison and this relates to Delta.  India really didn't have a covid problem at all in 2020.  A lot of thought was because the people might have had some natural immunity.  But eventually, a mutation got them, the delta variant.  THIS is a really good data point to show how you aren't as safe as you think you may be just because you've gone this far without issues (you, as in general you, not anyone specific) and why vaccination makes sense even if you are healthy and young. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #369 on: July 12, 2021, 09:28:48 AM »

This thread is a virus.

100% :lol

I'd like to respond to some of these comments but I just don't know where to start.  :omg:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: July 12, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »
Join the shit show.  Jump on in.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2021, 09:54:09 AM »
Are you pro or anti vaccines? Because this is the measure Darkshade suggests is a tool for totalitarianism and unnecessary for "the least deadly pandemic ever".

FORCING each and every person to get a vaccine, without a vote or other means of civil disobedience, and with punishment for non-compliance, is pretty darn close to totalitarianism.   

Fair, but (and on this we do not see eye-to-eye), why should someone's decision to not get vaccinated then also put my health at risk?  This is what I take issue with.  I think public and private institutions should have the ability to limit access to services and/or facilities for those that put others' health at risk because of their decisions / actions.  If they want to put their own health at risk - hey, go for it.  But don't in turn put mine at risk. 

I think we need to develop quick/rapid/instant tests that are accurate for those that refuse to vaccinate.  If they have an alternative, then they can get access to services/facilities.

Why?  Because you have no "right" to a zero-risk existence.  That's the fallacy.  You're at risk every single day based on the acts/omissions/decisions of others.  Some obvious and direct, others not so obvious and more consequential.   No rights are absolute; in a democratic society, rights are relative, relative to those rights of those around you.  I don't have the right to kill you... unless you abuse my right to privacy.  You have the right to free speech... unless you abuse my right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness (you cannot slander/libel me).   All rights have some level of compromise as they butt against someone else's right, and so here with the added proviso that you arguably don't have the "right" that is being compromised to begin with.   I've often suggested that when having this conversation, insert "abortion" in with "vaccine" because the premise is the same, the rights in question are the same, and the analysis is the same.

We KNOW that an abortion - by an individual woman - has societal impacts.  There is cost, there is impact on things like crime, etc.  But do we MANDATE abortions? Absolutely not, and when legislature gets uppity in terms of putting any framework around abortion, WE get uppity (myself included).   All on the premise that a woman's rights to privacy are sacrosanct, regardless of the impact to others or society.

Similarly, people have no "right" to go see a concert, or a sporting event, or crossing a border, or <insert pretty much anything>.  So, if those rights are removed for whatever reason, then my response is 'suck-it-up-buttercup'.  We didn't lose our shit when peoples' "right" to smoke on a plane was removed, or smoke indoors.  We didn't lose our shit when peoples' "right" to drive while impaired was removed.  We didn't lose our shit when peoples' "right" to carry 4oz bottles of liquid on a plane was removed.  So if a company or gov't wants to limit "rights" because of vaccination or COVID status, I don't see where that is out of line.

Ironic you chose abortion as your analogy, because some States essentially MANDATE no-abortion, regardless of the impact to the individual.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: July 12, 2021, 09:54:16 AM »

*awaits Stads to chime in chastising for ad-hominem attacks*

:corn

See above (and posted before I saw your post).

Right on cue.  You're consistent if nothing else.   ;D ;)  :tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: July 12, 2021, 10:04:14 AM »

Not sure why I'm trying to educate you, but here goes.  Data trends don't prove anything.  They only reveal patterns.  The "Pandemic" is not solely a reflection of case counts in the United States. Do you think the virus knows about boundaries?  Do you think they need to clear customs before coming into the US?  Only the ignorant or arrogant could think that this chart "proves we are out of the pandemic".  If you were to look at this chart in the timeframe of 2016-2019, would your conclusion then be "we'll never experience a pandemic"?.

Also, anti-bodies =/= immunity.  In fact, anti-bodies resulting from infection are weaker and shorter lasting than the antibodies that vaccines teach our body to develop.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: July 12, 2021, 10:12:37 AM »
Why?  Because you have no "right" to a zero-risk existence.  That's the fallacy.  You're at risk every single day based on the acts/omissions/decisions of others.  Some obvious and direct, others not so obvious and more consequential.

As someone who has both a child and a parent who are in higher risk categories, I'm totally aware of this. So how am I supposed to interact with a guy like darkshade in a way that respects the solemn "American principles" you have invoked? Seems to me like my only answer would be to stay as far away from possible from people like him. Just as I have had to do with my inlaws who must subscribe to the same alternative news sources. Sorry, but you don't get to say that people need to meet each other in the middle under any other conditions but compromise. Practically speaking, there is no "middle" if there is no compromise. There are just two sides that ignore eachother and call eachother crazy. That is where you personally are totally off the mark in your quest to uncover some kind of principle in darkshade's posts here. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND WITH PEOPLE WHO WILL NOT COMPROMISE. Why not ask darkshade what he is willing to do in order to help combat COVID? @darkshade, if I promise not to ask you about whether you got your little shot yet, what will you promise to do for me and others who are worried about the spread of this pandemic in our communities?

Well, I get to say whatever I want as long as I don't yell "Fire" in a crowded theater or call you an embezzler to your boss.  :)  You're preaching to the choir here with respect to "compromise", so I'm not sure what you're asking/telling me, other than you're not willing to take the first step, I guess.   You can ask Darkshade whatever you want, he's here.  I would just advise both of you to recognize that "compromise" includes pain; "compromise" doesn't mean "forcing the other guy to do what you want".   

I'm with you, Skeever; I have a daughter in college and a 13-year-old on the spectrum who is in middle school.   He's good about certain aspects of the COVID protection scheme - he wears his mask like a trooper - but not so great about others - he struggles with personal space.   My other stepson has a four-year-old and is expecting his second.  I wholly understand the dilemma that you face.  I don't know that it materially changes anything. 

Even with what you say, though, about compromise, the path to getting "them" to modify their position doesn't start with "you fucking idiot".   

Suddenly now it makes sense why we totally dismiss and disassociate from those we disagree with in this country.
darkshade has continuously hammered on the idea of totalitarianism yet his whole view on this subject stems from the idea that COVID only kills a "minority of minorities". Ok, so? That's still significant. And I'm in with that minority. Does that mean I am to expect nothing from my society and my nation because "the majority" will be fine? Sorry, that is way closer to some kind of totalitarianism than ANY mask mandate or other sort of emergency regulations. You can invoke "American values" all you want but the idea that we only take actions and plan around the majority and any inconvenience for the sake of the minority is "tyranny" is an idea that would have more currency in a place such as 1960s China.

And what about "your" position (in quotes, because I don't mean you, Skeever, but the "us" in the "us vs. them").  Can you see ANY reason or aspect that might be viewed as skeptically?   One of the aspects of negation - of compromise - is being tolerant, in putting yourself in the other party's shoes, even if you're NOT there, and find their position untenable.    I hear you on the "minority" discussion; but what are we (assuming I'm part of the "us") going to offer/give in order to get what we really want?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: July 12, 2021, 10:20:47 AM »

One, you're flat wrong; I'm not "defending" Darkshade. Whether you want to be considerate and tolerant, and call it one of a few points he has right, or whether you want to continue to be marginalizing and rejecting and say "even a broken clock is right twice a day", he made a point that was worth discussing further, IMO.

And you're missing a big point I've been making for months (maybe years) now.  YOU CAN'T CONTROL THE "THEM".  You can only control yourself.  You can't FORCE them to compromise, but you CAN set the stage for the them to compromise.  I've been saying until I'm blue in the face that continuing with the "you're stupid/deplorable/unhinged/whatever" isn't setting the stage for compromise, it's ACTIVELY making it less likely you will get compromise.    If you're okay with that, so be it (I'm not here to tell you what to think), but at least own your position in that matter, and acknowledge you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. 

And again, this isn't DEFENDING either side. If you'd like I'll ask Darkshade the same questions: what are you willing to concede to get what you really want?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: July 12, 2021, 10:57:16 AM »

Similarly, people have no "right" to go see a concert, or a sporting event, or crossing a border, or <insert pretty much anything>.  So, if those rights are removed for whatever reason, then my response is 'suck-it-up-buttercup'.  We didn't lose our shit when peoples' "right" to smoke on a plane was removed, or smoke indoors.  We didn't lose our shit when peoples' "right" to drive while impaired was removed.  We didn't lose our shit when peoples' "right" to carry 4oz bottles of liquid on a plane was removed.  So if a company or gov't wants to limit "rights" because of vaccination or COVID status, I don't see where that is out of line.

Ironic you chose abortion as your analogy, because some States essentially MANDATE no-abortion, regardless of the impact to the individual.

Except you hopped the fence there.  There was never a "right" to smoke, etc. There IS a right to privacy, and a fundamental one, that the Supreme Court has extended to one's body (thus the abortion reference).  There have been how many court cases regarding the delineation of that line, and as we all know now that Brett Kavanaugh is on the Court, women are dropping like flies (the reference being that it is clearly an important issue to many).   

If you don't like the abortion reference, why not use "voting"? We're bending over backwards to make sure people can vote with the least amount of restrictions - really, NO restrictions - and if you advocate restrictions, you're apparently a fascist totalitarian Trump-maniac and probably a racist to boot.   Many of us (myself included) feel we're being harmed by an abundance of deference to that particular right, but "harm" doesn't seem to matter.   Why not the same deference to that right of a person to have ultimate authority of their body? 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »
How is asking for proof of one's vaccination status a violation of their privacy?  We allow for a roadside sobriety test, so how is Covid status (negative or vaccinated) different.  Serious question.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2021, 11:09:28 AM »

No state has an outright ban on abortion.   I think it is 12 states that have restrictions - either time or scope - on abortions, some more restrictive than others, but no mandates. I'm personally not in favor of any outright restrictions (I don't have issue with many of the administrative constraints) but none of the more onerous ones have passed muster with the courts as of yet.

And here's the thing: if the legislature - elected by the people - and supported by the courts - confirmed by the legislature - enact restrictive vaccination laws, and the court upholds them, I'll be the first to support them, because at least it was done according to the democratic process, not some arbitrary standard.  That's the way the law works; we win some and we lose some (ideologically).   

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2021, 11:09:58 AM »
How is asking for proof of one's vaccination status a violation of their privacy?  We allow for a roadside sobriety test, so how is Covid status (negative or vaccinated) different.  Serious question.

I would imagine that's because it is illegal to drive drunk.  Not being vaccinated is not illegal or criminal in nature. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: July 12, 2021, 11:11:56 AM »
Also, health / life insurance companies ask for a LITANY of health status' before providing their product.  How is that not a violation of individual privacy?  I'm genuinely trying to understand where the difference / distinction is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: July 12, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »

Not sure why I'm trying to educate you, but here goes.  Data trends don't prove anything.  They only reveal patterns.  The "Pandemic" is not solely a reflection of case counts in the United States. Do you think the virus knows about boundaries?  Do you think they need to clear customs before coming into the US?  Only the ignorant or arrogant could think that this chart "proves we are out of the pandemic".  If you were to look at this chart in the timeframe of 2016-2019, would your conclusion then be "we'll never experience a pandemic"?.

As a general point, and not specific to you, Jingle, I canNOT wait for the next gun discussion.  I have enough for probably 25, 30 posts (not just from you, but generally).  :) :) :)

Also, anti-bodies =/= immunity.  In fact, anti-bodies resulting from infection are weaker and shorter lasting than the antibodies that vaccines teach our body to develop.

I did not know that.  Learn something new.....   Medical question: how does the body know the difference?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: July 12, 2021, 11:19:39 AM »
No state has an outright ban on abortion.   I think it is 12 states that have restrictions - either time or scope - on abortions, some more restrictive than others, but no mandates. I'm personally not in favor of any outright restrictions (I don't have issue with many of the administrative constraints) but none of the more onerous ones have passed muster with the courts as of yet.

Fair... and I'm not advocating for a ban on not-being vaccinated ... but I have no problem with restrictions on those that are or are at risk of catching/spreading COVID, and/or actually being COVID positive.

I did not know that.  Learn something new.....   Medical question: how does the body know the difference?

Not sure, but it's something I've heard specifically in interviews (video and print) with virologists - specific to mRNA vaccines and COVID.  A quick scan on the interwebz suggests that my statement is not absolute, but "it depends".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: July 12, 2021, 11:21:22 AM »
There are too many conflicting things going on here; all that I've written above is about forcing someone to GET a vaccine, not disclose.   Other than HIPPA, there's no reason someone can't ASK for proof of vaccine; what they do with it is another story.  A private owner could concievably deny access for no vaccine.   But I would consider the analogy here to be "HIV".  What would your reaction be if someone denied someone else access to a store because they wouldn't reveal whether they were HIV positive or not?

This might pull El Barto out of the woodwork - :) - but a cop needs probable cause to do a breathalyzer.  I imagine the concept of "expectation of privacy" is a factor here as well.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: July 12, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
Also, health / life insurance companies ask for a LITANY of health status' before providing their product.  How is that not a violation of individual privacy?  I'm genuinely trying to understand where the difference / distinction is.

It's complicated, but presumably, you're volunteering the information in order to get the product that you neither have to buy, nor that they have to sell you.   For healthcare procured through your employer, for example - and I can check this - much of the data is anonymous.   The healthcare company gets the "feed" of the employee base - there are 15 smokers, 5 with cancer, 3 with herpes, 10 who are obese, but they don't actually know if Stadler is one of the obese, herpetic, cancerous smokers (I don't smoke, FYI).   

They also cannot disclose this information to any third party without your authorization.