Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 191175 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2021, 01:17:09 PM »
Without getting too far astray, I don't think "I can't understand why..." is the crux of the issue.  I don't need to understand why you think differently than I do on X issue in order to simply recognize that you do think differently, and to recognize that, despite that, you are still a human being that is entitled to the same dignity and respect that I am, not matter what your thinking on any issue.  And I think the latter is far more important than understanding "why."

This something that I has always bothered me.  A human is a human and should be treated as an equal.

Exactly. Except the French.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »
Croissants are a gift from the French.  They get a pass.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2021, 01:33:49 PM »
Croissants are a gift from the French.  They get a pass.

Never!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2021, 12:30:21 PM »
Without getting too far astray, I don't think "I can't understand why..." is the crux of the issue.  I don't need to understand why you think differently than I do on X issue in order to simply recognize that you do think differently, and to recognize that, despite that, you are still a human being that is entitled to the same dignity and respect that I am, no matter what your thinking on any issue.  And I think the latter is far more important than understanding "why."

I actually won't argue that.   I'm cool with jumping right to that sort of "tolerance".  I just figured that "understanding" was a requisite for some people, since most of the latest identity politics thrust is well past just "tolerance" and firmly entrenched in "acceptance".   I'm just looking for the same attitudes towards those that we don't agree with as we give to the special interests du jour.  (That's a cynical way of looking at it, but I'm making a point.)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2021, 08:20:25 AM »
New vaccination calendar for Norway just dropped, I should get offered a first shot in about a month and then the second one 12 weeks later (somewhere in October). 18-24yos likely get to go ahead of 25-39yos.

I'm, like, dying of boredom over here. The price of only using the fancy vaccines and buying just enough of them so that when there's a slight delay in production, it delays your country's entire vaccine schedule! My lipsticks are expiring slowly in a drawer. :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2021, 08:26:47 AM »
Lipstick has a shelf life?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2021, 08:39:05 AM »
The last step towards normalcy happened today, at work I'm no longer required to take a temperature scan and no longer need to wear a mask if vaccinated.  This was the only place where I've been masking up for the last few weeks. 

Having gone to a concert, gone on dates, went to an arcade, went to packed bars/restuarants, saw my Mom who came up from Florida, going to a wedding this weekend.... life is back to normal here in NJ. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2021, 08:44:09 AM »
New vaccination calendar for Norway just dropped, I should get offered a first shot in about a month and then the second one 12 weeks later (somewhere in October). 18-24yos likely get to go ahead of 25-39yos.

I'm, like, dying of boredom over here. The price of only using the fancy vaccines and buying just enough of them so that when there's a slight delay in production, it delays your country's entire vaccine schedule! My lipsticks are expiring slowly in a drawer. :lol

There are places around the globe that are offering vaccination vacations. Travel to a country and get the shot along with checking out the sites of that country.

Just a thought...............

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2021, 09:01:29 AM »
California drops a ton of restrictions today. Unfortunately both my jobs still require masking up.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2021, 09:22:19 AM »
California drops a ton of restrictions today. Unfortunately both my jobs still require masking up.

I think those who serve food is the last in line to drop the masks.  Which sucks for you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2021, 09:26:18 AM »
The UK has delayed it's final dropping of major restrictions by four weeks. It was going to be next Monday, now it'll be 19 July. Mainly due to the Delta variant being so much more transmissable and becoming widespread across the UK, the intention is to give more time to get all adults at least their first jab, and to get millions more people fully vaccinated.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2021, 09:36:42 AM »
The UK has delayed it's final dropping of major restrictions by four weeks. It was going to be next Monday, now it'll be 19 July. Mainly due to the Delta variant being so much more transmissable and becoming widespread across the UK, the intention is to give more time to get all adults at least their first jab, and to get millions more people fully vaccinated.

Does the UK have the same hesitancy problem as the US?  As in, does this 4 extra week actually buy the time needed to make a difference?  It feels like here in the US, if you haven't gotten a shot yet, you likely aren't and with things fully open, there's no longer much of an incentive to get one. (should be noted the US is still doing about 1M shots a day, so my statement isn't entirely accurate but certainly feels that way from anyone not vaccinated that I've spoken to)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2021, 12:13:38 PM »

I think those who serve food is the last in line to drop the masks.  Which sucks for you.

According to state guidelines it's open pending on vaccination status, unless the individual businesses dictate otherwise

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2021, 12:36:08 PM »

According to state guidelines it's open pending on vaccination status, unless the individual businesses dictate otherwise

Right but, just a guess, most restaurants will hold off longer than most businesses. Just a hunch.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2021, 01:35:03 PM »

Does the UK have the same hesitancy problem as the US?  As in, does this 4 extra week actually buy the time needed to make a difference?  It feels like here in the US, if you haven't gotten a shot yet, you likely aren't and with things fully open, there's no longer much of an incentive to get one. (should be noted the US is still doing about 1M shots a day, so my statement isn't entirely accurate but certainly feels that way from anyone not vaccinated that I've spoken to)
Nope, some people expressed some level of hesitancy, but take-up has been very high. For older age ranges, take-up is really, really high (95%+ from age 65 and up). There was some concern that younger generations might be more hesitant because they see less need for it, but take-up so far has been good. On the day that ages 25-29 became eligible to book a first fab, more than 1 million people signed up that very day (which is about a quarter of that entire demographic, just in one day).

So the issue has very much not been about hesitancy, so as a result the squeeze has been on the practical rollout/supply in terms of how many doses can be administered in any given day/week. So in that sense, yes these 4 weeks can make a massive difference to the amount that people are protected (millions of new first jabs, and millions of new second doses giving fuller protection).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2021, 01:39:34 PM »
That makes senes since the hesitancy is low.  Good on the people out there to get the jab and being informed.  I spoke to my friend who is not vaccinated (and refuses to) if he was aware of the Delta variant and he was not.  People here in the US are just ignorant to the reality.  He previously had told me "I'm 35 and healthy so no need" which is a big  :facepalm: to me.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2021, 02:09:17 PM »

There are places around the globe that are offering vaccination vacations. Travel to a country and get the shot along with checking out the sites of that country.

Just a thought...............
My home country is one of them, but I might have problems getting my permanent residence permit next year if I exceed something like six months away in the last three years, and last year I spent more than five months stuck back home due to COVID. What goes around comes around lol :police:

I felt gutted reading about that. It really is a minor setback and it's nice your government is acting proactively, but it seemed so nice that you would go back to full normal so soon and we were all rooting for you.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2021, 02:22:36 PM »

Right but, just a guess, most restaurants will hold off longer than most businesses. Just a hunch.
I haven't heard of one that isn't. Both my jobs are still requiring them, one is an ultra progressive corporation, the other is whole foods, so it's fair to say I'll be masked at work for the foreseeable future.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2021, 02:40:58 PM »
That makes senes since the hesitancy is low.  Good on the people out there to get the jab and being informed.  I spoke to my friend who is not vaccinated (and refuses to) if he was aware of the Delta variant and he was not.  People here in the US are just ignorant to the reality.  He previously had told me "I'm 35 and healthy so no need" which is a big  :facepalm: to me.

No shit.  The UK is seeing virtually no cases of the original strain.  Some people are so blissfully ignorant... I just hope it doesn't cost them their health (or worse).

I just saw an article this morning that stated Canada just passed the UK in terms of % of population with at least 1 dose - 65%.  Hesitancy thankfully isn't a problem; supply *was*, which is why we're so slow on the 2nd doses.  Now our main problem will be distribution and execution.  It's still going to take at least 2-3 months to get that same population their 2nd dose.  Good news is, my pharmacy is getting AZ supply next week or two, and since mrs.jingle and I were vax'd on the first or 2nd day they had supply initially, we should have our 2nd jab within the next two weeks.  jingle.mom got her 2nd shot on Friday.

Case numbers are WAY down in Ontario (less than 300 @ 2.3% test positivity), so that's also a good sign we're trending in the right way. Down over 90% across the country in the last 60 days, under 1000 new daily cases nationally.  Just have to keep an eye on that Delta variant.  That fucker can/will spread like a Californian wildfire.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:46:22 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2021, 02:48:04 PM »
That fucker can/will spread like a Californian wildfire.
I'm a little bit shocked that this is our third noteworthy mutation and people are still laughing it off and saying "pfft how convenient there's a mutation, yeah I bet this one is more dangerous too".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2021, 02:48:25 PM »
Well the good thing is Delta variant isn't going to be an issue for the vaccinated folks.  So I'm not worried at all about it and sometimes I question if the media fear mongering is in effect when they say its more contagious and more dangerous.  I'm just not so sure how they know that.  It may be true.  They've said that basically with every variant and it really hasn't been the case.  Here in NJ we are at 1% positivity on tests.  It's basically non existent at the moment. 

Also, be careful when you read "cases doubled since yesterday" as lots of states have stopped regularly reporting so you do get weekly data dumps that may look like a spike but when you average it out, it really isn't anything of concern. 

I'm just super happy that it seems locally we are well on our way for the pandemic to be over.  For those non vaccinated, good luck.  You may have natural immunity, you may not, but it certainly has and continues to look like you either get covid or you get vaccinated (or both).  No one in this world is going to escape it completely IMO.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »
I felt gutted reading about that. It really is a minor setback and it's nice your government is acting proactively, but it seemed so nice that you would go back to full normal so soon and we were all rooting for you.
Yeah it's a bit sucky, but it does also make sense really. The UK hasn't handled many aspects of the pandemic well at all, but vaccines is something we have thankfully done well - getting in quickly to fund and purchase vaccines, roll them out successfully, overcome hesitancy, and made some good judgement calls on how to roll them out and who to prioritise. Hopefully these four weeks will be it. If so, I think it will be a good omen for the rest of the world as other countries catch up with the vaccine rollout.

No shit.  The UK is seeing virtually no cases of the original strain.  Some people are so blissfully ignorant... I just hope it doesn't cost them their health (or worse).
Yeah, even the Alpha strain (the one that was first identified in Kent, UK and was dominant for most of the second wave here because it was so much more transmissable) is now only a fraction of sequenced cases, as the Delta one is even more transmissable than that.

I just saw an article this morning that stated Canada just passed the UK in terms of % of population with at least 1 dose - 65%.  Hesitancy thankfully isn't a problem; supply *was*, which is why we're so slow on the 2nd doses.  Now our main problem will be distribution and execution.  It's still going to take at least 2-3 months to get that same population their 2nd dose.  Good news is, my pharmacy is getting AZ supply next week or two, and since mrs.jingle and I were vax'd on the first or 2nd day they had supply initially, we should have our 2nd jab within the next two weeks.  jingle.mom got her 2nd shot on Friday.
It's very interesting seeing Canada's approach to this. The UK prioritised maximising first doses until the vulnerable/priority groups had all had them, which was about 45% of the population, before then slowing down first jabs to prioritise second jabs - especially because the second jab has a huge impact on the transmissability of the virus (even more so with Delta than previous strains). Canada seems to have only just started focusing on second doses having given first jabs to around 60% of the population. If the supply has been there to do it and maintain 12 weeks between doses then I guess fine, but that does come with risks too.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2021, 03:27:44 PM »
Well the good thing is Delta variant isn't going to be an issue for the vaccinated folks.  So I'm not worried at all about it and sometimes I question if the media fear mongering is in effect when they say its more contagious and more dangerous.  I'm just not so sure how they know that.  It may be true.  They've said that basically with every variant and it really hasn't been the case.  Here in NJ we are at 1% positivity on tests.  It's basically non existent at the moment. 
Actually, it has been the case that previous variants have been more transmissable/contagious/whatever. Alpha was quite a lot more so and became dominant in the UK. Beta and Gamma I think were more so than the original strain as well, but perhaps not as much. And Delta very much more so than any of them.

But that's about how the virus spreads. For countries with high vaccine rollout and availability, arguably the more important thing is whether the strains are any more dangerous particularly to vaccinated people. And the evidence so far is that the vaccine is still extremely effective at preventing serious illness.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2021, 03:27:57 AM »
It's not over till it's over.... and that means globally.
As long as there is spread there is a risk of new variants that the vaccines will not work against and that can be even easier to spread and give worse symptoms.

There is a study from Scotland saying that the Delta variant doubles risk of hospitalisation for the unvacinated.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/delta-variant-doubles-risk-covid-hospitalisation-scottish-study-2021-06-14/

Vaccines are also not as effective against it.  Pfizer has been tested to 79 % efficency compared to 93 % for the original strain.

Looking forward to getting my second Pfizer shot on the 22nd and thinking there will be a third sooner rather than later.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2021, 04:38:19 AM »
It's not over till it's over.... and that means globally.
As long as there is spread there is a risk of new variants that the vaccines will not work against and that can be even easier to spread and give worse symptoms.

There is a study from Scotland saying that the Delta variant doubles risk of hospitalisation for the unvacinated.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/delta-variant-doubles-risk-covid-hospitalisation-scottish-study-2021-06-14/

Vaccines are also not as effective against it.  Pfizer has been tested to 79 % efficency compared to 93 % for the original strain.

Looking forward to getting my second Pfizer shot on the 22nd and thinking there will be a third sooner rather than later.

Quoted for truth.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2021, 05:30:36 AM »
That's efficacy at preventing any symptomatic infection. It's effectiveness at preventing hospitalisation (i.e. serious illness) is more than 90%.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2021, 05:48:44 AM »
79% is still impressive for a virus vaccine. For comparison, 50% is considered good efficiency rate for a flu vaccine from what I've understood.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2021, 07:00:04 AM »

I think this is absolutely the case (the fear mongering).  You had a story that dominated the news - local, regional, cable - for the better part of 18 months and what, we're going to have story after story about nothing?  About how it's over?   And the terminology is very important.  If I smoke one cigarette in a year, that's more dangerous than smoking no cigarettes, and if I double it to 2 cigarettes that is even more dangerous... but we're talking about 2 cigarettes in a year.  That's hardly Eddie Van Halen/Denis Leary territory. 

Also, be careful when you read "cases doubled since yesterday" as lots of states have stopped regularly reporting so you do get weekly data dumps that may look like a spike but when you average it out, it really isn't anything of concern. 

My state has stopped the daily reporting, AND has closed the mass vaccination centers.  You can still get vaccines if you want them, but the commandeering of high schools (which is what happened in my town) and such is apparently over.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2021, 07:51:40 AM »
My state has stopped the daily reporting, AND has closed the mass vaccination centers.  You can still get vaccines if you want them, but the commandeering of high schools (which is what happened in my town) and such is apparently over.

That's not surprising, the mass vaccination centers have played their important role and are no longer needed.  Shots are basically all local at this point if you want them.  My pediatrician friend said his office is soon going to have their own supply to administer if children want them (and he is only recommending it if the child has other health issues).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »
Yep, the mass vaccination centers here in NC are pretty much gone, as they have served their purpose.

We now have medical teams basically going door-to-door in low-income neighborhoods, since that is where the bulk of the remaining unvaccinated people live. 

We also instituted a lottery similar to Ohio's.  Everyone 18 and older who are already vaccinated gets entered once.  Anyone getting vaccinated from this point forward will get entered twice (incentive to get vaccinated).  There will be 4 separate draw dates, with each winner receiving $1 million.  Separately, there will also be separate drawings for the 12-17 age group, and they will receive $125,000 towards college.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2021, 09:34:54 AM »

Well, it's that AND the fact that, even though the Dept. of Health lifted the mask mandate in general, Cal. OSHA's mask mandate for all employees in the workplace does not lift until tomorrow.  So employees at work are still technically required to wear them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2021, 09:58:14 AM »
Yep, the mass vaccination centers here in NC are pretty much gone, as they have served their purpose.

We now have medical teams basically going door-to-door in low-income neighborhoods, since that is where the bulk of the remaining unvaccinated people live. 

We also instituted a lottery similar to Ohio's.  Everyone 18 and older who are already vaccinated gets entered once.  Anyone getting vaccinated from this point forward will get entered twice (incentive to get vaccinated).  There will be 4 separate draw dates, with each winner receiving $1 million.  Separately, there will also be separate drawings for the 12-17 age group, and they will receive $125,000 towards college.

That's actually pretty smart - don't penalize the people that already vax'd while rewarding those that have held out ... but giving an incentive to those hesitating.  Good call on the 12-17 age group too!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2021, 10:10:28 AM »

Well, it's that AND the fact that, even though the Dept. of Health lifted the mask mandate in general, Cal. OSHA's mask mandate for all employees in the workplace does not lift until tomorrow.  So employees at work are still technically required to wear them.

Didn't know that one. My brothers country club tossed them yesterday, haven't heard what my other bro at Scott's did. I still think both my workplaces will require them indefinitely

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2021, 11:38:43 AM »
At long last, I'm getting my first shot on 24th of this month! I'm getting Moderna if I'm not mistaken.

Can't wait! :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2021, 03:13:21 PM »
I'm getting mine on the 27th and the second on August 1st!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey