Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2021, 01:17:09 PM »
Without getting too far astray, I don't think "I can't understand why..." is the crux of the issue.  I don't need to understand why you think differently than I do on X issue in order to simply recognize that you do think differently, and to recognize that, despite that, you are still a human being that is entitled to the same dignity and respect that I am, not matter what your thinking on any issue.  And I think the latter is far more important than understanding "why."

This something that I has always bothered me.  A human is a human and should be treated as an equal.

Exactly. Except the French.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »
Croissants are a gift from the French.  They get a pass.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2021, 01:33:49 PM »
Croissants are a gift from the French.  They get a pass.

Never!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #108 on: Today at 12:30:21 PM »
Without getting too far astray, I don't think "I can't understand why..." is the crux of the issue.  I don't need to understand why you think differently than I do on X issue in order to simply recognize that you do think differently, and to recognize that, despite that, you are still a human being that is entitled to the same dignity and respect that I am, no matter what your thinking on any issue.  And I think the latter is far more important than understanding "why."

I actually won't argue that.   I'm cool with jumping right to that sort of "tolerance".  I just figured that "understanding" was a requisite for some people, since most of the latest identity politics thrust is well past just "tolerance" and firmly entrenched in "acceptance".   I'm just looking for the same attitudes towards those that we don't agree with as we give to the special interests du jour.  (That's a cynical way of looking at it, but I'm making a point.)