Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 191279 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2021, 07:55:18 AM »
you and I just have to disagree.

Agreed.  I may need to sig this.  Right after the one I have saved that "Jingle is right as rain".   :rollin

Can ya have it both ways?   :) :)

There ain’t good guy, there ain’t no bad guy........
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2021, 11:55:40 AM »
BTW, I got away with just one day of sore arm, like when you're hit and got a big bruise, from my first Moderna dose. No fever, no headache, no weird stuff, just a day without being able to lift the arm.... I was lucky then, where do I sign to have just 24 hours of sore arm for the second shot as well?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2021, 12:04:49 PM »
you and I just have to disagree.

Agreed.  I may need to sig this.  Right after the one I have saved that "Jingle is right as rain".   :rollin

Can ya have it both ways?   :) :)

There ain’t good guy, there ain’t no bad guy........

There's just you and me and we just disagree.........  :corn

#OldiesButGoodies

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2021, 10:41:30 PM »
Ha! We are being magnetized and loaded with 5G!

OHIO: Anti-vaccine *expert* witness claims vaccine causes forks and keys to stick to your forehead and it’s linked to 5G network towers…. Up there trying to out-Tennessee us!

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1402408416228806663?s=20

:facepalm:
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2021, 11:41:50 PM »

OHIO: Anti-vaccine *expert* witness claims vaccine causes forks and keys to stick to your forehead and it’s linked to 5G network towers…. Up there trying to out-Tennessee us!

Don't forget to say, "Beam me up, Scotty." when the Aliens come and rapture all the vaccinated people up in their UFO's.  :corn :corn :corn  :biggrin:

This is actually a great article about Gullibility....

https://phys.org/news/2017-03-people-gullible.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 11:48:54 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2021, 05:40:35 AM »
If she's worried about proteins with metals in them, she's going to be horrified when she finds out what's in blood.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2021, 07:25:27 AM »
Goddammit.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2021, 07:27:03 AM »
I probably already said it, but I hope that the next disaster is gonna be acid rain, just to enjoy seeing people whining and bitching about umbrellas and waterproof coats.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2021, 07:57:38 AM »
I hope we have a moratorium on disasters for a while, so we can (hopefully) reset.   I think it's high time that we start to udnerstand better how we as people work in the (new) environment we're finding ourselves in, where increasingly our tethers to society are more and more unreliable (I'm thinking of social media, though that's not the entirety of it).   I don't think the people pointing fingers and laughing are being fully sympathetic to how much these people's world view is being challenged, and I think that the more "kind" we can be to some of these people the better chance we have of increasing our collective understanding.   It's high time that we reject this idea that "you don't agree therefore you're dumb, deplorable, and my mocking and marginalization is fully acceptable", which of course ASSUMES we know why they disagree, and start to have the first step be "why do you disagree, what is driving that?" so we can have more meaningful dialogue.

Just by way of example, I'm in no way, shape or form an anti-vaxxer, but I do, kind of, understand it.   My stepson - who I love and admire - is on the spectrum, and I watch his parents struggle with that every day in every way, INCLUDING finding answers as to "why" (it doesn't help that one of them is as insecure as a screen door in a hurricane; for him, every "answer" is predicated on "mom is a c***").  People NEED answers to things that don't always have answers, and we are by our nature "trained" to see patterns, even when there are no patterns.   Yes, education - and so much of education is REPETITION - would help, but how many of us are secure, aware, and disciplined enough to say "I have a world view, and even though it's my belief, I know it's wrong, so I'm going to literally retrain my brain to be 'right'?"   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:47:44 AM by Stadler »

Offline emtee

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2021, 08:06:29 AM »
Florida stopped reporting daily cases.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2021, 12:40:15 PM »
I probably already said it, but I hope that the next disaster is gonna be acid rain, just to enjoy seeing people whining and bitching about umbrellas and waterproof coats.

"We better stay inside...at least, until the squirrels stop melting"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:46:34 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2021, 03:02:15 PM »

I'll see your  :facepalm:

And raise you three  :rollin :rollin :rollin

"....but we don't know about the metals that are associated with this new interface of stuff that's introducing magnetism, not animal magnetism like 80's Tom Selleck or The Marlboro Man, but metal on metal magnetism like suddenly everyone who got the vaccine has forks and knives sticking to their foreheads and chests and, well, I don't know how much you know about fork-chest-magnetism but I happen to be an expert in the field and I can tell you right here and now that the 5G signals are bouncing off the amygdala glands of the children of the corn and when they come down from Witch Mountain to ride the lightning it could signal the end of society as we know it....."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2021, 04:48:50 PM »
It's high time that we reject this idea that "you don't agree therefore you're dumb, deplorable, and my mocking and marginalization is fully acceptable", which of course ASSUMES we know why they disagree, and start to have the first step be "why do you disagree, what is driving that?" so we can have more meaningful dialogue.

Is it really worth wasting your time trying to have rational conversations with people who think the earth is flat, the world is controlled by lizard people or that getting a vaccine makes forks stick to your head?  Nah.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2021, 07:20:21 PM »
It's high time that we reject this idea that "you don't agree therefore you're dumb, deplorable, and my mocking and marginalization is fully acceptable", which of course ASSUMES we know why they disagree, and start to have the first step be "why do you disagree, what is driving that?" so we can have more meaningful dialogue.

Is it really worth wasting your time trying to have rational conversations with people who think the earth is flat, the world is controlled by lizard people or that getting a vaccine makes forks stick to your head?  Nah.

If you are so concerned about it, then yes, it should be worth your time.

Most, are not concerned and just go and tend their own garden.

But, understanding why they believe those things is a start to discussing.

It's been this way since different societies met. When one has a certain belief, and the other has a certain belief. And when one has a view that they consider "Right" that the other views as "Wrong" is when culture clashes happen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2021, 07:32:14 PM »

So this is an interesting thought as I had an experience today and I was thinking about this very thing..

I was in the drive through CVS picking up a script. A big girl comes out of the house across the street and she's wearing a mask. Now I live in a very small town, and there's certainly no sidewalk traffic, meaning that there is NO ONE around her. She's the only pedestrian I can see. She walks and eventually crosses the street in front of me. It was like 90 degrees today, and I was like WTF??

I really just wanted to jump out of my car and say that I'm not in any way trying to harass her or passing any judgement on her, but I just wanted to ask her WHY did she have her mask on?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »

So this is an interesting thought as I had an experience today and I was thinking about this very thing..

I was in the drive through CVS picking up a script. A big girl comes out of the house across the street and she's wearing a mask. Now I live in a very small town, and there's certainly no sidewalk traffic, meaning that there is NO ONE around her. She's the only pedestrian I can see. She walks and eventually crosses the street in front of me. It was like 90 degrees today, and I was like WTF??

I really just wanted to jump out of my car and say that I'm not in any way trying to harass her or passing any judgement on her, but I just wanted to ask her WHY did she have her mask on?

Yeah. I do wonder why too...

What I think, is they are concerned out of fear. The fear, is causing them to question things, even the CDC decisions. Their thunder buddy of comfort and safety got more cushion and they don't want to leave it. They, themselves, think they are keeping themselves safe by still wearing the mask. One fear and concern, is clouding them from other concerns, like passing out in the heat with that mask on.

I find it funny, because it was the CDC that told them to mask up, and people voluntarily did so, because they felt more safe in doing so. And now the CDC says vaccinated people are fine, and don't have to mask up, yet people voluntarily still wear them.

Where is the line to when it becomes a case of fear, and a case of a concern?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2021, 07:53:49 PM »
Yeah, I told my wife the same story and she said that it was Fauci that has scared everyone. Not to go into "The Politics OF The Coronavirus" territory.

I went to the store today, and I work in a store, and I honestly am very surprised at how many people are still masking up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2021, 08:25:16 PM »
Yeah, I told my wife the same story and she said that it was Fauci that has scared everyone. Not to go into "The Politics OF The Coronavirus" territory.

I went to the store today, and I work in a store, and I honestly am very surprised at how many people are still masking up.

It's crazier how people are now being fearful of people mask shaming them for wearing a mask. Because they don't want to be accused of being an unvaccinated person for wearing a mask. As, unvaccinated people should be wearing masks. Or like the sign at the Albertsons I went to says "It is Encouraged for unvaccinated people to wear a mask."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2021, 10:32:07 PM »
As part of my job today, I went to a hardware store, a lumber yard, a paint store and a tile store. Some require masks for all customers, others for just non-vaccinated. It is too annoying to keep track of which store is which, so I just have my mask on any time I go to a store, since it is too annoying to keep track of which stores have which policies.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2021, 06:56:34 AM »

It is, though, if you get into the psychology of it.  With exceptions, of course, we're finding that many of the more radical ideas we're seeing today are rooted in common ground of insecurity and marginalization.  Further marginalizing them DOES NOT WORK, and only makes the problem WORSE.  So even if you don't change their minds in the present tense, by engaging them thoughtfully - as opposed to confrontationally - you set the stage to either move them more to the accepted line of thinking or at the very least, move them away from some of the more fringe ideas. 

Look, if this is about YOUR (generally, not you Soupytwist) insecurity in YOUR position - where you have to WIN, where you have to CRUSH those deplorables that disagree with you - then keep on keeping on.   Have at it.  But if you're really about minimizing this trend to extremity - and it's on both sides, make no mistake, even if you (and now I am talking to individuals) believe your "side" is "better at it" - then we do what we have to do.  This is the geopolitical version of "of course that dress looks great on you; but why don't you go with something more casual?".  Diplomacy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2021, 07:54:33 AM »
As part of my job today, I went to a hardware store, a lumber yard, a paint store and a tile store. Some require masks for all customers, others for just non-vaccinated. It is too annoying to keep track of which store is which, so I just have my mask on any time I go to a store, since it is too annoying to keep track of which stores have which policies.

Yup, I'm mentally preparing myself for this idiocy come next week.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2021, 07:58:19 AM »

It is, though, if you get into the psychology of it.  With exceptions, of course, we're finding that many of the more radical ideas we're seeing today are rooted in common ground of insecurity and marginalization.  Further marginalizing them DOES NOT WORK, and only makes the problem WORSE.  So even if you don't change their minds in the present tense, by engaging them thoughtfully - as opposed to confrontationally - you set the stage to either move them more to the accepted line of thinking or at the very least, move them away from some of the more fringe ideas. 

People are entitled to believe whatever they want, I'm not interested or arrogant enough to think I can change their mind.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2021, 08:01:57 AM »

People are entitled to believe whatever they want, I'm not interested or arrogant enough to think I can change their mind.

Fair enough, I'm with you on that, but do you - do any of us - have an implicit duty to not make the problem worse in service of our own ego?  How is that any different than that what we argue against?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2021, 08:38:43 AM »

The purpose isn't to change their minds. It's to understand, why. It's an understanding of "The Other" Culture.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2021, 08:41:38 AM »

Fair enough, I'm with you on that, but do you - do any of us - have an implicit duty to not make the problem worse in service of our own ego?  How is that any different than that what we argue against?

I (and most likely everybody) have my own set of red flags.  I'm happy to engage with anyone on common interests, but if one of those red flags appears I'll look to politely change the subject or leave the conversation.   An easy example is if I ever got the chance to have a one to one with Tom Cruise I'd love to talk to him about his movies and career, but if he started talking about Scientology I'd be uncomfortable.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »
Florida stopped reporting daily cases.

I can see this becoming a trend for other states very soon.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2021, 09:01:11 AM »
The purpose isn't to change their minds. It's to understand, why. It's an understanding of "The Other" Culture.

The Psychology of what drives the behavior of the human mind is no doubt an extremely fascinating subject, but not one I (or many) can personally claim to have much understanding in.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2021, 09:23:41 AM »

The Psychology of what drives the behavior of the human mind is no doubt an extremely fascinating subject, but not one I (or many) can personally claim to have much understanding in.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to pound on you, but your post triggered the idea:  that's fine, no one said that we all have to be experts.  But just as we defer to experts on climate change, and virology, and economics, so here.   I'm really not pointing at you, but there are a lot of people that don't just "walk away uncomfortably"; they engage, and in an aggressive, marginalizing way.  I think we all have to take a step back and look in the mirror at the old "accepted" ways of dealing with people we don't see eye-to-eye with and perhaps contemplate that our behaviors have made the problem WORSE - inadvertently - not better.  We've evolved our thinking with so many things over the years, why not "social and political disagreement"? 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2021, 09:33:25 AM »

I'm sorry, I don't mean to pound on you, but your post triggered the idea:  that's fine, no one said that we all have to be experts.  But just as we defer to experts on climate change, and virology, and economics, so here.   I'm really not pointing at you, but there are a lot of people that don't just "walk away uncomfortably"; they engage, and in an aggressive, marginalizing way.  I think we all have to take a step back and look in the mirror at the old "accepted" ways of dealing with people we don't see eye-to-eye with and perhaps contemplate that our behaviors have made the problem WORSE - inadvertently - not better.  We've evolved our thinking with so many things over the years, why not "social and political disagreement"?

Aside from the fact I really don't want you pounding on me  ;D   I agree with you.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2021, 12:08:40 PM »
I just got out of a meeting with a gal that still masks up in the office. She's fully vaccinated but her husband is on medication where he can't take the vaccine so to mitigate risk, she masks when meeting with people.

People that are immunocompromised, like aids patients or cancer patients undergoing chemo treatment will often wear masks even outdoors so mask wearing is not just for COVID.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2021, 02:51:38 PM »

Aside from the fact I really don't want you pounding on me  ;D   I agree with you.

Poor choice of words.  :)   :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »

of course not, and differences of Cultures, and differences of Societies, all play an important role in the behavior of the human mind, and what makes one do the things they do.

None are necessarily right or wrong. That's just how they do things. When one starts declaring itself the right way, and then starts to shun "The Others" way of doing things, such as declaring it blasphemy, then a culture clash occurs which has lead to genocide, indoctrination, and even falls of societies as people leave and form newer cities/villages, leaving the once great city/village just a hollow shell of it's former greatness.

Precisely. It's Society itself that needs a reflective intervention. In this case, it's the American Society. It's why I have asked before, what are American values and ideals? What is the American Culture?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2021, 12:12:48 PM »
There are just too many conversations that have some form of "I can't understand why..." and that understanding is the crux of the issue.   We seem to have crossed a milestone on "understanding" the black experience, the homosexual experience, the trans experience.  I think we need to make headroads in "understanding" the liberal experience, the conservative experience, the poor experience, the rich experience.  We've grown to an almost unmanageable size now; we're at 330 million people who are all unique and special and deserve to be heard.  When the country was formed, we were 2.5 million people who were focused on living past the age of 26.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2021, 01:11:27 PM »
Without getting too far astray, I don't think "I can't understand why..." is the crux of the issue.  I don't need to understand why you think differently than I do on X issue in order to simply recognize that you do think differently, and to recognize that, despite that, you are still a human being that is entitled to the same dignity and respect that I am, no matter what your thinking on any issue.  And I think the latter is far more important than understanding "why."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:17:40 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2021, 01:14:38 PM »
Without getting too far astray, I don't think "I can't understand why..." is the crux of the issue.  I don't need to understand why you think differently than I do on X issue in order to simply recognize that you do think differently, and to recognize that, despite that, you are still a human being that is entitled to the same dignity and respect that I am, not matter what your thinking on any issue.  And I think the latter is far more important than understanding "why."

This something that I has always bothered me.  A human is a human and should be treated as an equal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC