Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 194385 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #980 on: August 03, 2021, 01:33:24 PM »
Has anyone seen this...

Since I am unable to comply with what is increasingly becoming an industry mandate - it has recently been decided that I am unsafe to be around, in the studio, and on tour," says Parada. "I mention this because you won€™t be seeing me at these upcoming shows."

"I have no negative feelings towards my band. They're doing what they believe is best for them, while I am doing the same," Parada clarifies.

He then declares "Unequivocally...that I support informed consent - which necessitates choice unburdened by coercion." He adds that he doesn't believe in allowing "those with the most power (government, corporations, organizations, employers) to dictate medical procedures to those with the least power."

Parada asks that people not "dominate, dehumanize and shout down at each other," noting that the vaccine-hesitant population "is not a monolithic group. All voices deserve to be heard."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/offspring-drummer-cant-get-covid-19-vaccine-for-medical-reasons-so-wont-play-at-upcoming-shows/ar-AAMTqa3?fbclid=IwAR0-R-83PTiqPXKRVQ23XDkLISY-rau-VuJhjH0EiLJx14AMzFATwQgGVDU

yes and I don't see the issue, Offspring are supposed to tour Europe and he won't be allowed there.  Certain states like NY will now require a vaccine to go to a concert.  So if he can't tour, then he needs to be replaced until he is allowed to.  It just sucks for him because his reasoning is a valid medical issue, not hesitancy.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #981 on: August 03, 2021, 01:34:00 PM »
I'm not suggesting that it's okay for COVID, or any specific disease, but systematic exposure to toxics and irritants may have lasting immune system benefits
Though you are right; there is nothing quite so helpless as the feeling of watching a young child struggle with congestion or pain that they don't know how to deal with.

My daughter was in daycare from 3 months to 2.5 years of age.  One February, she was sick for an entire month straight.  Every week it was a different ailment or two.

- Strep throat
- Pink Eye
- Stomach Bug
- Pink Eye (again)
- Cold

She had tubes put into her eardrums because she probably had 8-10 ear infections from contracting colds.  My wife stayed home with my son, so he's had considerably less exposure to illness, but it's not like he's NEVER been sick.  When she brings home a bug from school or a birthday party, it runs through the house and everyone gets it (I got the stomach flu from her the same week I broke my ankle.  Imagine trying to race up and down stairs to a bathroom when you're in a walking boot and can't move quickly).

If kids get exposed to illness in their daily routine, so be it.  We can't keep them in a bubble.  But holding a chicken pox/COVID party and purposely exposing your kids to a germ for natural immunity is 100% wrong. 

I have no desire to watch my kids struggle to breathe if they get a bad case of COVID (this new variant is reportedly more severe in kids than the original strain).  If it happens, it happens, but I'm not giving it to them on purpose. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #982 on: August 03, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »
Has anyone seen this...

Since I am unable to comply with what is increasingly becoming an industry mandate - it has recently been decided that I am unsafe to be around, in the studio, and on tour," says Parada. "I mention this because you won€™t be seeing me at these upcoming shows."

"I have no negative feelings towards my band. They're doing what they believe is best for them, while I am doing the same," Parada clarifies.

He then declares "Unequivocally...that I support informed consent - which necessitates choice unburdened by coercion." He adds that he doesn't believe in allowing "those with the most power (government, corporations, organizations, employers) to dictate medical procedures to those with the least power."

Parada asks that people not "dominate, dehumanize and shout down at each other," noting that the vaccine-hesitant population "is not a monolithic group. All voices deserve to be heard."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/offspring-drummer-cant-get-covid-19-vaccine-for-medical-reasons-so-wont-play-at-upcoming-shows/ar-AAMTqa3?fbclid=IwAR0-R-83PTiqPXKRVQ23XDkLISY-rau-VuJhjH0EiLJx14AMzFATwQgGVDU

yes and I don't see the issue, Offspring are supposed to tour Europe and he won't be allowed there.  Certain states like NY will now require a vaccine to go to a concert.  So if he can't tour, then he needs to be replaced until he is allowed to.  It just sucks for him because his reasoning is a valid medical issue, not hesitancy.

He's pretty much out of the band, he can not be around them in the studio, because he is not vaccinated, and can not be due to medical reasons. This is because the industry determined that he is unsafe because he isn't vaccinated. They mandated that all people must be vaccinated regardless. If they did not mandate that policy, he would still be able to be in the studio with them. He only put this out there to explain why he won't be on those shows in case people do wonder why another guy is playing drums.

What he is saying too, is that he doesn't see how these entities can dictate you have a medical procedure required before doing business with them. Which, if so, he won't be able to go if they demand him to have a vaccination card or passport.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #983 on: August 04, 2021, 06:46:28 AM »
At some point I'd love to see a checklist or spreadsheet created on "issues" and have people fill it out just to see how consistent people are - or are not - on certain core beliefs.  In particular with the medical reasoning, I don't see this any differently than any other medical/health/genetic condition that we - the rest of society - have to accommodate in the interest of being "tolerant".  Why is Parada not a hero and Simone Biles is?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #984 on: August 04, 2021, 06:56:07 AM »
Well, in Parada's case they just wanted to keep em separated.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #985 on: August 04, 2021, 06:57:48 AM »
While I wouldn't call Parada a hero, I do think he's pretty fly...

....for a white guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #986 on: August 04, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
While I wouldn't call Parada a hero, I do think he's pretty fly...

....for a drum guy.

FTFY
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #987 on: August 04, 2021, 07:20:09 AM »
So Delta Plus is a thing now. Even more contagious than Delta. First cases in South Korea.

I will admit, the jokes on Twitter are quite humorous, considering. I think we are all breaking.

Maybe the rapture is upon us.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #988 on: August 04, 2021, 07:26:34 AM »
Well, in Parada's case they just wanted to keep em separated.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #989 on: August 04, 2021, 08:07:43 AM »
If any of you gents need another reason to get vaccinated:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #990 on: August 04, 2021, 08:16:06 AM »
Love the color choices... :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Harmony

« Reply #991 on: August 04, 2021, 08:21:09 AM »
So Delta Plus is a thing now. Even more contagious than Delta. First cases in South Korea.

I will admit, the jokes on Twitter are quite humorous, considering. I think we are all breaking.

Maybe the rapture is upon us.

Delta plus?  Do we get more leg room with that?   :lol

If any of you gents need another reason to get vaccinated:

Great graphic.  I actually just read something that IMO is much more worrisome impacting another area of the body. 

Researchers had brain scans from over 700 patients, which were done before the pandemic. They did second MRI’s around three years after the first scan. 394 patients between 59 and 63 years old got the virus between the two scan. Those who recovered from COVID-19 had more brain atrophy or shrinkage in parts of the brain that control taste, smell, and memory. Most of those COVID cases were mild.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-causes-brain-damage-even-in-mild-cases/285-eec1cf1c-ee28-4601-8af2-df71252fd340
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: August 04, 2021, 08:45:55 AM »
Great graphic.  I actually just read something that IMO is much more worrisome impacting another area of the body. 

To men, our private parts may be more important than our brains  :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #993 on: August 04, 2021, 08:51:25 AM »

To men, our private parts may be more important than our brains  :lol

LoL - well aware of that.  But I'm pretty sure the brain is a crucial part of sexual function, albeit probably a more primitive part.  Atrophy in either region should be concerning?  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #994 on: August 04, 2021, 09:02:26 AM »
It's 28%....Most men will beat the odds.

Also, I find it hilarious how those "social justice warriors" could utilize this graphic to showcase racism as the black penis is used for erectile dysfunction, while the white is not. Then I laugh harder because it also shows Black penis are hung more than the white penis which is still smaller erect.  :rollin

I'm sorry but that graphic is more hilarious than threatening to instill fear and concern for erectile dysfunction.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #995 on: August 04, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »
Governor signs law banning mask mandates. Now the Governor wants the law struck down so mask mandates can be instituted.  :facepalm:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arkansas-governor-asa-hutchinson-mask-mandate-covid-cases-142346775.html
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: August 04, 2021, 09:50:13 AM »
Work is requiring masks again starting tomorrow.

Deaths are starting to climb again in the US.  Florida seems like how the NYC area was at the beginning of the pandemic with hospitals being full and turning people away and leading the nation in cases.

If only, just only, people would get their vaccines....  :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #997 on: August 04, 2021, 10:04:28 AM »
Work is requiring masks again starting tomorrow.

I went back to work yesterday for the first time in 12 days, and there was a note hanging on the timeclock that we were back in masks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #998 on: August 04, 2021, 10:30:20 AM »
Don't mean to constantly provide downer info but it's hell down here.

ICU capacity in our region jumped from 106% Monday to 120% as of this morning. We've lost 3 patients in 12 hours. All were elderly and unvaccinated. Every day gets worse.

Fun times.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #999 on: August 04, 2021, 10:54:59 AM »

ICU capacity in our region jumped from 106% Monday to 120% as of this morning. We've lost 3 patients in 12 hours. All were elderly and unvaccinated. Every day gets worse.

Fun times.

Can you explain how over capacity works and how that metric is derived? Is it based on number of rooms/beds? Hours of doctor availability? Etc

Not challenging you. Just curious.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1000 on: August 04, 2021, 10:59:02 AM »
Has anyone seen this...

He's pretty much out of the band, he can not be around them in the studio, because he is not vaccinated, and can not be due to medical reasons. This is because the industry determined that he is unsafe because he isn't vaccinated. They mandated that all people must be vaccinated regardless. If they did not mandate that policy, he would still be able to be in the studio with them. He only put this out there to explain why he won't be on those shows in case people do wonder why another guy is playing drums.

What he is saying too, is that he doesn't see how these entities can dictate you have a medical procedure required before doing business with them. Which, if so, he won't be able to go if they demand him to have a vaccination card or passport.

In principle, I don't have an issue with businesses/industries limiting things to vaccinated people as long as people with medical exemptions are also allowed to access those services. I'm kind of surprised that some places aren't doing that, it's vaccine certificate or nothing, which completely excludes people who are unable to get the vaccine (rather than choosing not to).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: August 04, 2021, 11:07:12 AM »
Has anyone seen this...

In principle, I don't have an issue with businesses/industries limiting things to vaccinated people as long as people with medical exemptions are also allowed to access those services. I'm kind of surprised that some places aren't doing that, it's vaccine certificate or nothing, which completely excludes people who are unable to get the vaccine (rather than choosing not to).

It also excludes people who had a natural infection which so far seems to provide just as good of an antibody response as a vaccine.   

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1002 on: August 04, 2021, 11:13:37 AM »
About Parada - I have a question.  I haven't read the whole story but if his doctor has told him not to get the vaccine and can sign a waiver then how is that not enough?  Herd immunity is what it takes to protect people like him.  So those who just don't want to get the vaccine but could get it are the real problem here.

The thing about GB syndrome is that the mRNA vaccine is NOT contraindicated in this population.  Covid disease in folks who have previously had GB is a huge concern, however.

Obviously people need to check with their doctor, which is why I asked the first question.

And cram brings up a good point.  Natural immunity should be a consideration IF the antibodies are present.  If Prada already had Covid, an antibody test should confirm this and show his level of protection.

Disclaimer:  Some studies seem to suggest that protection from natural immunity wanes more quickly because of a lack of T cell and B cell response, so YMMV

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1003 on: August 04, 2021, 11:13:44 AM »
Local school board meeting in a very affluent bay area suburbgot shut down because of an anti mask protest following our multi County mask mandate. It should be noted, average income here is north of 250k,and home prices are in the multi millions... (also the local bowling alley won't follow the mandate  :lol )

https://youtu.be/UBB0qu5IzUQ

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1004 on: August 04, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »
RIGHT!  Into the sun cannon with the lot of you.  Come along now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: August 04, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »
Disclaimer:  Some studies seem to suggest that protection from natural immunity wanes more quickly because of a lack of T cell and B cell response, so YMMV

I've read some sources that say natural infection gives better protection and some that say less.  I've got no clue and it seems like no one really does either as to how much protection you truly have, but it does seem like you do have some level of protection which should be taken into account. 

Also, I believe if you get covid, you aren't eligible for a vaccine for another 3 months.  That's a decent chunk of time where you may not be eligible to do things while having some natural immunity which doesn't seem fair.  But then again, if you get covid right now and aren't vaccinated, you have no one to blame but yourself so maybe "fair" gets thrown out the window.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1006 on: August 04, 2021, 11:50:18 AM »

Fun times.

Can you explain how over capacity works and how that metric is derived? Is it based on number of rooms/beds? Hours of doctor availability? Etc

Yes, sir, no problem. Basically it means we have to be creative and find ways/rooms to treat ICU level patients because all the ICU rooms are full. So, there are about 120 patients requiring ICU beds and levels of care, but they are no ICU rooms left. Docs and nursing staff are doing their best to treat these patients but we are stretched beyond our limits. Everyone is giving more than 100%.. After 4 surges,  this one being the worst so far, it's taking a mental and physical toll.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1007 on: August 04, 2021, 11:53:53 AM »

Fun times.

Yes, sir, no problem. Basically it means we have to be creative and find ways/rooms to treat ICU level patients because all the ICU rooms are full. So, there are about 120 patients requiring ICU beds and levels of care, but they are no ICU rooms left. Docs and nursing staff are doing their best to treat these patients but we are stretched beyond our limits. Everyone is giving more than 100%.. After 4 surges,  this one being the worst so far, it's taking a mental and physical toll.

Damn. So does that mean you have ICU patients starting to take up regular hospital rooms?

Offline emtee

« Reply #1008 on: August 04, 2021, 12:03:56 PM »
Yes. And regular patients on recliners and wheelchairs in hallways. We have to operate like a MASH unit during war time.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1009 on: August 04, 2021, 12:10:14 PM »
Has anyone seen this...

It also excludes people who had a natural infection which so far seems to provide just as good of an antibody response as a vaccine.   
Not quite right - as Harmony correctly said, the evidence suggests that the immune response is less strong and wanes more quickly because of T-Cells etc.

However, in the UK so far in general where full vaccination is required for something, confirmed infection in the past 6 months is also valid. So it is being used in the UK, but as a time-bound measure.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1010 on: August 06, 2021, 09:12:53 AM »
So more and more employers are requiring the vaccine to maintain employment.  Most allow for health/religious exemptions.  Some are going to allow weekly testing for those who do not want the vaccine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/united-airlines-will-require-all-67-000-u-s-employees-n1276156?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

I have to say that while I do not believe in forcing people to get vaccinated, I do believe in the ability for an employer to ensure the safety of their employees.  From comments I'm reading, it seems many people believe they have a "right" to employment.

I'm happy to see United take this stance.  Interestingly, their rate of vaccination among employees appears higher than among healthcare workers.   :huh:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1011 on: August 06, 2021, 09:58:31 AM »
So more and more employers are requiring the vaccine to maintain employment.  Most allow for health/religious exemptions.  Some are going to allow weekly testing for those who do not want the vaccine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/united-airlines-will-require-all-67-000-u-s-employees-n1276156?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

I have to say that while I do not believe in forcing people to get vaccinated, I do believe in the ability for an employer to ensure the safety of their employees.  From comments I'm reading, it seems many people believe they have a "right" to employment.

I'm happy to see United take this stance.  Interestingly, their rate of vaccination among employees appears higher than among healthcare workers.   :huh:

It's one of those instances where having a free market can be a good thing... Want to work? Get a Vax... And you're absolutely right that an employer has a right to protect their staff and customers.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1012 on: August 06, 2021, 10:19:46 AM »
Along these lines, Oregon’s governor issued a statement a few days ago that unvaccinated healthcare workers will have a choice to make by Sept 30th. Either get vaccinated, or be subject to at least weekly COVID tests, mandatorily participate in education about the vaccine, and wear more PPE than vaccinated providers (which I can attest that even the addition of just a face shield to already wearing a mask fucking sucks). Can’t say I’m against this, but it does make me wonder how many caregivers are going to say, “Screw this, I’m out…” and move out of state or quit the field altogether.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1013 on: August 06, 2021, 10:49:39 AM »
You gotta wonder when the medical insurance industry will play their hand... I mean the cost of one covid patient in the ice for two weeks has to be equal to a few thousand vaccines... The math has to play out heavily in favor of vaccination for them, they gotta have something in the works. Just pondering out loud.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1014 on: August 06, 2021, 12:40:51 PM »

It's one of those instances where having a free market can be a good thing... Want to work? Get a Vax... And you're absolutely right that an employer has a right to protect their staff and customers. asses from being sued by someone who got Covid working or shopping there..

Fixed..