Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 194841 times)

Offline Harmony

Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #4410 on: July 27, 2022, 06:53:57 PM »
I’m a big supporter of building up natural immunity. That said, while I agree that kids need to build it up and be exposed to stuff, the mask won’t have an impact on that. So while it’s literal, best I can read, that is how Mrs. Tac was meaning it. Though he can correct me if I’m wrong.

Generally speaking, aren't the masks designed to keep germs out (or in)? If they have no impact on exposing kids to stuff, why do the kids have to wear them?

Depends on the type of mask and the size of the droplets/particles we want to keep in or out.

Are schools talking about mask mandates?  (I genuinely have no idea.) I'm torn on the masks for kids subject.  The age of the kid factors in.  As does the potential the kid has an underlying medical condition OR a parent/family member at home with an underlying medical condition.  Seems like the middle school and high schooler can decide if they want to wear one.

I think masking younger kids is useless.  They are going to spread their germs and masks won't stop that much.  I think focusing on hand washing and keeping kids home when they have symptoms would be a better bang for our buck (as far as lowering transmission of diseases).

I don't think masks will get in the way of a healthy immune system development.  Immediately after birth a healthy infant begins building their immune systems.  Want a healthy immune system in kids?  Let them play on the dirty carpet, get a dog, take them to some preschool playdates and family get-togethers.  That'll be more than sufficient. 

Frankly, monkeypox in the school setting is more worrisome to me by the day.  I guess we'll see what happens come fall.   :P
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4411 on: July 27, 2022, 06:55:41 PM »
Masks have a minor effect in protecting you from getting it, but have a much larger impact in keeping you from easily spreading it if you DO have it. In that respect, if your aim is to limit the spread of the disease, most people should probably be wearing them in situations where social distancing is not possible and the air quality/ventilation and is bad (i.e. places where the virus is likely to stick around (including kids).

Also, for all this talk of natural immunity, there is at least one study that showed outcomes are actually worse if you are  infected a second time, so lets not be too keen to subject our kids to a good ol' pox party.

https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-1749502/v1/499445df-ebaf-4ab3-b30f-3028dff81fca.pdf?c=1655499468
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4412 on: July 27, 2022, 07:05:57 PM »

Also, for all this talk of natural immunity, there is at least one study that showed outcomes are actually worse if you are  infected a second time, so lets not be too keen to subject our kids to a good ol' pox party.

https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-1749502/v1/499445df-ebaf-4ab3-b30f-3028dff81fca.pdf?c=1655499468

Well, no one is saying they are keen to get their kids sick. I sure as heck didn't.

And this study, glancing quickly, was a study on vets. I thought we were talking about kids. Did I miss the disclosed ages of the participants?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4413 on: July 27, 2022, 08:20:42 PM »
At quick glance.

Sees its 17 pages.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4414 on: July 27, 2022, 08:29:09 PM »
At quick glance.

Sees its 17 pages.

Lots of big words too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4415 on: July 27, 2022, 08:30:26 PM »
Any pictures?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4416 on: July 27, 2022, 08:34:01 PM »
I rest my case.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4417 on: July 27, 2022, 08:34:28 PM »
Any pictures?

Actually not in this case!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4418 on: July 27, 2022, 10:15:12 PM »
Masks have a minor effect in protecting you from getting it, but have a much larger impact in keeping you from easily spreading it if you DO have it. In that respect, if your aim is to limit the spread of the disease, most people should probably be wearing them in situations where social distancing is not possible and the air quality/ventilation and is bad (i.e. places where the virus is likely to stick around (including kids).

I hope this is sarcasm.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4419 on: July 28, 2022, 09:12:19 AM »
What would lead you to that conclusion?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4420 on: July 28, 2022, 11:37:06 PM »
What would lead you to that conclusion?

Because no one gave the impression they were 'keen'  to expose their children to viruses and diseases.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4421 on: August 06, 2022, 08:00:57 AM »
Well, my brother got covid. So today I'm doing the old man's laundry and food shopping. Don't want him near the old man.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4422 on: August 06, 2022, 09:29:37 AM »
Well, my brother got covid. So today I'm doing the old man's laundry and food shopping. Don't want him near the old man.

Shit man, that blows.  Definitely keep him away from Papashmegland.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4423 on: August 06, 2022, 10:00:23 AM »
Yup.  He's in the spare bedroom in his house. I washed the kitchen floor and bathroom floor. A load of laundry.   Now food shopping. Tomorrow I'm working so I can get out early Monday to take my old man to get a scan.

Vacation is 10 days away.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4424 on: August 06, 2022, 12:03:43 PM »
3 weeks for me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4425 on: August 06, 2022, 12:07:05 PM »
I forgot Brian just had his wisdom teeth removed. He's miserable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4426 on: August 06, 2022, 02:52:47 PM »

Good man.  Hope no one else gets sick and your brother's symptoms are minimal.  :tup :tup

And if you are doing laundry all week, I will send you minw to do. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4427 on: August 06, 2022, 03:39:38 PM »
I'm dead. Lol. Just got home. Man, it's so damn hot and muggy.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4428 on: August 06, 2022, 06:42:15 PM »
No shit (the heat). Spent most of the morning working around the yard, and after dinner. I sweated as much after the sun went behind the house as I did when I was right in it. Very humid.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4429 on: August 29, 2022, 10:08:58 AM »
I saw an article on yahoo just now (https://www.yahoo.com/news/still-order-free-home-covid-141814265.html) stating that the free government provided covid tests will stop on September 2nd (this Friday).  You can go here https://special.usps.com/testkits and get them if you haven't yet.  I haven't so might as well get the 8 free tests now in case the fall brings something new.  Or just in case, like I had a bad cough a couple weeks ago and made sure to test myself before coming to work.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4430 on: September 21, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »
The pandemic might be over, but Covid sure as fuck ain't. Tested positive and it's going to wipe out what was to be an epic vacation beginning Saturday.  >:(

At this point I honestly don't feel all that bad. I'm feverish as hell, but my blood o2 feels alright, and the sinus thing is pretty pedestrian. We'll see how it goes, I guess.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4431 on: September 21, 2022, 12:51:54 PM »
I got my second booster (4th shot total) last night.  The last time I had a covid shot was November 2021 for the first booster dose - I could have gotten one sooner, but my wife and I were waiting for the "official" advice for general adults to get them.  Arm is sore and I got hit with a wave of exhaustion about 5 hours afterwards.  No other real side effects, not that I was expecting anything crazy.  It has the Omicron-specific additive, which is nice - I just don't have time in my life to test positive and have to cancel the things we have going on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4432 on: September 21, 2022, 01:11:31 PM »
The pandemic might be over, but Covid sure as fuck ain't. Tested positive and it's going to wipe out what was to be an epic vacation beginning Saturday.  >:(

At this point I honestly don't feel all that bad. I'm feverish as hell, but my blood o2 feels alright, and the sinus thing is pretty pedestrian. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

OH NO!  This is your Rammstein trip?   I feel so bad for you, sincerely.   Any possibility? Testing out?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4433 on: September 21, 2022, 01:31:52 PM »

Aw man.....sorry to hear that EB. Hope it stays mild and you power through it quickly.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4434 on: September 21, 2022, 01:36:29 PM »
El Barto, that sucks.  I'm so sorry.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4435 on: September 21, 2022, 02:05:16 PM »
Sorry to hear EB. The timing sucks. Anytime but vacation.

Hope it's mild and short in duration.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4436 on: September 21, 2022, 03:52:19 PM »
Oof that is terrible timing, get well soon though and maybe you can catch up to the end of your plans if you feel well enough?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #4437 on: September 21, 2022, 05:16:03 PM »

Very unfortunate. Be well.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4438 on: September 21, 2022, 05:30:10 PM »
That blows Bart. Were you travelling internationally?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4439 on: September 21, 2022, 05:43:37 PM »

Fucking lame dude...did you already buy your PT ticket?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4440 on: September 21, 2022, 07:02:55 PM »
Thanks, guys. The first half of my trip was mostly unpaid for. I'll lose $50 on the rental car, but my airline points will be refunded. Hadn't booked any rooms yet. I've purchased PT tickets for 3 shows, and I'm hopeful to make one or two of them. SF is almost certainly out, but I'll flip that one for more than I paid for it. Almost certainly enough to cover the loss on the car. In reality I've got a week-ten days to get well enough to travel, and I'm keeping optimistic.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4441 on: September 22, 2022, 04:47:00 AM »
Here's hoping it's a mild bout.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4442 on: September 22, 2022, 08:23:54 AM »
I got COVID halfway during a 2 week vacation which blew as I couldn't do the rest of the things I had planned but thankfully it was a mild cold like infection. Sucks El Barto, been there and hope you feel better soon. Ironically I think I got mine from a Coldplay concert during the first half of my vacation.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4443 on: September 22, 2022, 08:44:14 AM »
Sorry to hear it, EB. 

Here's hoping it's a mild bout.

Same!
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4444 on: September 22, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »
I got COVID halfway during a 2 week vacation which blew as I couldn't do the rest of the things I had planned but thankfully it was a mild cold like infection. Sucks El Barto, been there and hope you feel better soon. Ironically I think I got mine from a Coldplay concert during the first half of my vacation.
Almost certainly caught mine at Rammstein, San Anotnio. In hindsight I suppose it's a good thing I didn't get to meet up with Progmetty after the show.

With no frame of reference I'm not sure how mild mine is, but I'm not currently on a respirator, so I couldn't consider it severe. I'm feverish as all fuck, with a headache to go along with the basic aches and chills. I'm the sort that likes to let symptoms run their course rather than knocking them down with meds, so I'm tolerating the fever during the day. Research suggests fever does help to fight it off. A mild bout of nausea last night, and a sore throat today, likely related. Otherwise I don't feel any worse. 

Interestingly, the kidney docs aren't recommending Remdesivir or Paxlovid. That surprised me. The told me to stop taking one of the immunosuppressants for a week, so presumably they've decided that the possible side effects of those are worse than the increased risk of rejection. Go figure. Needless to say, the first day I feel better I'll be back on the Myfortic. Just because one carries more risk doesn't mean I want to lean on the less risky avenue too hard.
E.F. Benson