Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 194825 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #4375 on: July 25, 2022, 07:25:19 AM »
Well, after weeks of diliberating, I opted to get my second booster Saturday night.

As an original recipient of the J&J, I've been eligable for the booster since March, but have been dragging my feet for a few reasons: lower numbers, mental exhausting with the topic, and the promise of an Omicron-specific booster on the horizon.

The numbers have obviously risen, and after talking to my mom (who works for the board of health in my state) and three different doctors, I realized that the time is now.

For those who are considering waiting for the Omicron-specific booster, all of my sources said the same thing: 'probably' October at the soonest. For me, that's just too long to wait, especially considering my personal health sitation and the fact that I work with the general public.

Surprisingly, I have still not tested positive. I've taken dozens of tests over the past three years, and have been convinced on multiple occasions that I had Covid, but I have yet to see that 'double line.'

Obviously, the tests are suspect, but I have probably taken 60, so you'd have to think any room for error has been nullified. Go figure.

Funny enough, I had this conversation just this weekend.   And it's not like I've lived a hermit life.  I've seen concerts, flew more times than I can count, etc.   I'm still careful, but I'm living my life.  COVID at this point is a real thing, but it's not a controlling thing.

I've had the same conversation.  60% has got infected in the US (I think I read that somewhere) 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4376 on: July 25, 2022, 07:29:43 AM »
As for me, I guess I'm finally over it.

The weird thing is that I've almost been worse once I became negative, than when I was positive.

Being positive was just a flu, after all: three days of fever, normal coughing save a nightly rough fit, headache for six days.

Once I became negative, a persistent cough kicked in, and I had to do a nebulizer therapy for a week. I coughed way more, and suffered way more from it, as a negative.

I basically suffered 20 days for this Covid thing, all things considered I got it lucky 'cause it was just an annoyance, but it was a big annoyance. It wasn't three days of flu, it was 20 days of having always something, as relatively harmless it was the whole experience.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4377 on: July 25, 2022, 08:10:29 AM »
That happens to me normally after getting sick.  for 2 to 3 months I have nasal drip and I cough non stop.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4378 on: July 25, 2022, 08:51:52 AM »
My boss just developed a sinus infection coming out of COVID.  I'm relatively I would have developed something more (my flu-like cases always develop into a chest infection), but the Doc I saw (over the phone) prescribed puffers and anti-biotics for me to take 2 days into my bout of COVID.  It certainly didn't hurt, and I'm certain it did help.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4379 on: July 25, 2022, 08:52:44 AM »
I also had a lingering cough for a couple weeks after being negative.  That and fatigue were rough at times, but it slowly went away and one day just kind of hit me that I realized all my covid symptoms had gone away because it was a slow process.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4380 on: July 26, 2022, 05:25:41 AM »
My boss just developed a sinus infection coming out of COVID.  I'm relatively I would have developed something more (my flu-like cases always develop into a chest infection), but the Doc I saw (over the phone) prescribed puffers and anti-biotics for me to take 2 days into my bout of COVID.  It certainly didn't hurt, and I'm certain it did help.

Do you take some sort of probiotics when taking anti biotics?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4381 on: July 26, 2022, 05:35:11 AM »
Nope.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4382 on: July 26, 2022, 05:40:10 AM »
Fair enough.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4383 on: July 26, 2022, 07:18:26 AM »

Do you take some sort of probiotics when taking anti biotics?

I got bitten by something last weekend and my entire right arm puffed up like Popeye, and the PA prescribed some heavy duty pro-biotics.  She was a professional and said something like "you might want to take a pro-biotic; the antibiotics might disrupt the chemistry in your gut" or whatever.  I think it was like day three or day four (or both) and there were a couple of moments that were best described as "crime scene". 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4384 on: July 26, 2022, 07:26:33 AM »
Just seems like doctors these days are quick to prescribe anti biotics left right and centre.  Im basing that on nothing though.  Can't our immune systems fight some things off itself sometimes?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4385 on: July 26, 2022, 07:59:53 AM »
Just seems like doctors these days are quick to prescribe anti biotics left right and centre.  Im basing that on nothing though.  Can't our immune systems fight some things off itself sometimes?

Yes.

And I'm not one to jump at medication.  I'm typically a firm believer in 'body, heal thyself' for most things.  But when it can't, I'm all for medication - as a response, or pre-emptively.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4386 on: July 26, 2022, 08:53:07 AM »
Well, not questioning you or your doctor, but why did your doc give you antibiotics when you had a known VIRAL infection? 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4387 on: July 26, 2022, 09:47:01 AM »
Antibiotics are for bacterial infections.  You can't cure a cold or flu with antibiotics.  Doctors should know that and stop pushing drugs for big pharma.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4388 on: July 26, 2022, 11:05:43 AM »
Well, not questioning you or your doctor, but why did your doc give you antibiotics when you had a known VIRAL infection?

Because i told him that my history of respiratory issues is that they routinely migrate into my chest and lungs, and develop in to a chest infection / bronchitis.  So he decided to be proactively pre-emptive about it.  Plus, he'd seen post-COVID cases of other types of infection.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4389 on: July 26, 2022, 11:13:56 AM »

Because i told him that my history of respiratory issues is that they routinely migrate into my chest and lungs, and develop in to a chest infection / bronchitis.  So he decided to be proactively pre-emptive about it.  Plus, he'd seen post-COVID cases of other types of infection.

Yep - the doctor does the same for my wife.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4390 on: July 26, 2022, 11:23:57 AM »

This happens to me with head colds.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4391 on: July 26, 2022, 11:50:30 AM »
Fair enough; that makes sense.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4392 on: July 26, 2022, 01:21:26 PM »
Antibiotics are for bacterial infections.  You can't cure a cold or flu with antibiotics.  Doctors should know that and stop pushing drugs for big pharma.

OK, I'll be sure to follow random advice from the internet than that if my doctor.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4393 on: July 26, 2022, 04:12:23 PM »
I can't remember the last time I took an anti-biotic

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4394 on: July 26, 2022, 07:17:33 PM »

You can catch more than one disease at a time. A weakened immune system and damaged lung tissue from COVID makes you more susceptible to secondary bacterial infections. A large number of covid deaths were from secondary bacterial pneumonia.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-92220-0
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4395 on: July 26, 2022, 11:59:09 PM »

Yeah....this is kind of what I was alluding to.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4396 on: July 27, 2022, 12:03:51 AM »

While the replies above certainly have their circumstances around it, yeah, this is what I meant, they pump them out too frequent too often.

Fair enough, giving antibiotics to be proactive though seems odd but what the fuck would I know.  I just feel the more drugs are pumped into people the more susceptible we get to things.  I kinda believe the more we take the more the immune system weakens.  Again, I have nothing to base that on, just myself really and my own history.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4397 on: July 27, 2022, 12:04:49 AM »

OK, I'll be sure to follow random advice from the internet than that if my doctor.

No ones giving advice, just thoughts and opinions.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4398 on: July 27, 2022, 04:23:30 AM »

Fair enough, giving antibiotics to be proactive though seems odd but what the fuck would I know.  I just feel the more drugs are pumped into people the more susceptible we get to things.  I kinda believe the more we take the more the immune system weakens.  Again, I have nothing to base that on, just myself really and my own history.

Doctors have been encouraged for years not to prescribe antibiotics unless there is clearly a bacterial infection present as the more of them out there the less effective the antibiotics get as the bacteria become resistant.  Less 'shock value' so to speak.

There may be some special cases where some judgement can be exercised but on the whole way too many antibiotics are prescribed.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4399 on: July 27, 2022, 04:36:39 AM »

Doctors have been encouraged for years not to prescribe antibiotics unless there is clearly a bacterial infection present as the more of them out there the less effective the antibiotics get as the bacteria become resistant.  Less 'shock value' so to speak.

There may be some special cases where some judgement can be exercised but on the whole way too many antibiotics are prescribed.

Generally speaking, I agree 100%.  Given my specific situation and history, I had no issue taking the meds at the time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4400 on: July 27, 2022, 04:46:00 AM »

Cheers Brent, my thoughts too. 

Generally speaking, I agree 100%.  Given my specific situation and history, I had no issue taking the meds at the time.

Fair enough man.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4401 on: July 27, 2022, 06:34:42 AM »

I don't know if it's a code to live by, but I think there's some underlying truth to that.  I've had this conversation with my doctor (we're both sort of nerds in that way) and my therapist (who has no hard and fast rules, but generally stays away from recommending medication unless the benefits are clear).  The prevalence of medications and the immediacy of social media has, in my opinion, promoted a kind of impatience that has not been a positive for our society.  We've abdicated control to our dopamine receptors.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4402 on: July 27, 2022, 03:56:23 PM »

I don't know if it's a code to live by, but I think there's some underlying truth to that.  I've had this conversation with my doctor (we're both sort of nerds in that way) and my therapist (who has no hard and fast rules, but generally stays away from recommending medication unless the benefits are clear).  The prevalence of medications and the immediacy of social media has, in my opinion, promoted a kind of impatience that has not been a positive for our society.  We've abdicated control to our dopamine receptors.

Thank you, well said, 100% agree.  I'm just a big advocate for natural immunity unless completely necessary.  I think people these days (not meaning anyone here) are quick to get some drugs from their doctor when it's something quite mild that will take its own course in a couple of days.  Doctors also seem to just write people scripts and get them in and get them out.  Doctors I feel really should look more at the underlying causes to things instead of prescribing some pills to put it at bay.

Again, I'm ignorant when it comes to doctors, I don't have a GP and haven't been to a doctors clinic in over 10 years.  I know that will change as I get older but so far so good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4403 on: July 27, 2022, 03:57:29 PM »
My wife has been beating the natural immunity drum, especially when it comes to masks for children.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4404 on: July 27, 2022, 03:59:13 PM »
My wife has been beating the natural immunity drum, especially when it comes to masks for children.

She's against the masks for children?  Yeah, I kind of get that.  Do we want to impair their immune systems at a young age before its properly even developed?  Seems like a recipe for disaster when they become adults.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4405 on: July 27, 2022, 04:02:55 PM »

She's against the masks for children?  Yeah, I kind of get that.  Do we want to impair their immune systems at a young age before its properly even developed? Seems like a recipe for disaster when they become adults.

Right, that's exactly it.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4406 on: July 27, 2022, 04:11:53 PM »
Mask use doesn’t impair the immune system.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4407 on: July 27, 2022, 04:18:27 PM »

I think you're taking that too literally.  It's just the whole wrapping them in cotton wool kind of concept from a young age, I think that's what MrsTAC is getting at.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4408 on: July 27, 2022, 05:05:50 PM »

I think you're taking that too literally.  It's just the whole wrapping them in cotton wool kind of concept from a young age, I think that's what MrsTAC is getting at.

Hey, I’m not too far from your position. Before Covid, I hadn’t gotten any medication (minus oral surgery stuff since I’m a pussy when it comes to mouth pain) and I still don’t take meds other than the vaccines for Covid/flu. I’m a big supporter of building up natural immunity. That said, while I agree that kids need to build it up and be exposed to stuff, the mask won’t have an impact on that. So while it’s literal, best I can read, that is how Mrs. Tac was meaning it. Though he can correct me if I’m wrong.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4409 on: July 27, 2022, 06:18:22 PM »
I’m a big supporter of building up natural immunity. That said, while I agree that kids need to build it up and be exposed to stuff, the mask won’t have an impact on that. So while it’s literal, best I can read, that is how Mrs. Tac was meaning it. Though he can correct me if I’m wrong.

Generally speaking, aren't the masks designed to keep germs out (or in)? If they have no impact on exposing kids to stuff, why do the kids have to wear them?