Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 193356 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #4340 on: July 11, 2022, 05:54:17 AM »
I'm negative, whoohooo!!!

I'm still not good 'cause the cough has kinda taken over, and this morning I was already resigned to the idea of being already positive, turns out I'm negative and I can go back to work!!!

All things considered, it's been "just" a flu. I had a bad weekend with fever, and lingering coughing fits (plus I had a headache until last thursday), but all in all in the grand scheme of things it's been just a mild annoyance. It's a pity not even the vaccine could protect me fully (had my last shot in January after all, and there are variants), but I'm sure that without a vaccine, this thing would have devastated me.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the other forumers involved!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #4341 on: July 13, 2022, 04:09:35 PM »
Crazy times.

Update: every person my son in law came in contact with got it. Mom, grandkids, daughter, both his parents. Also got a call from my Dad. He and my stepmother in NC both have it. I'm on vacation but the director called me today and begged me to come back because 4 of my colleagues are out with covid. I agreed to cut my vacation short to help out.

I guess the positive is that nobody has been hospitalized...just very sick for 4 or 5 days. Except the grandkids were only 3 days.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4342 on: July 20, 2022, 10:06:08 PM »
emtee, is everything well with your family?

My 4 year old tested positive on Monday. Ironically she was scheduled for her first vaccine dose next Monday. The first day she had a very high fever and no energy. Tuesday her fever was up and down and she was still lethargic, and today (Wednesday) she seems her normal self. The rest of us are vaccinated and have been testing negative all week. The nurse said to try and keep her isolated, apparently not understanding 4 year olds are not totally self-sufficient.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4343 on: July 20, 2022, 10:23:48 PM »
That's rough to hear, hope it gets better. Isolating a kid that age is extremely difficult, when my 4 year old niece got COVID last year, her parents and siblings all masked up in the house when near her and tried to have her stay in just one or two rooms. Hope your daughter gets healthy quickly, this strain seems very infectious though not as serious for the most part.

I too was wondering about you emtee. Hope everyone is doing ok.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4344 on: July 20, 2022, 11:21:35 PM »
That's rough to hear, hope it gets better. Isolating a kid that age is extremely difficult, when my 4 year old niece got COVID last year, her parents and siblings all masked up in the house when near her and tried to have her stay in just one or two rooms.

We basically moved her in to our bedroom, thinking that if anyone gets Covid it's preferable Mom gets it since she is not working over the summer, and I moved in to her room. The first couple days she was content to lay in bed and watch movies and play on the tablet, but she is getting restless now that she feels fine and has her energy back. Our family is feeling a bit disconnected, not having meals together and such, but aside from the uncomfortably small bed I've kinda enjoyed having a room to myself for a change.  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4345 on: July 21, 2022, 08:29:52 AM »
Joe Biden has tested positive for covid.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4346 on: July 21, 2022, 08:36:41 AM »
2-for-2 on POTUS.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4347 on: July 21, 2022, 09:04:00 AM »
2-for-2 on POTUS.

Right? Covid don't give a fuck man.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4348 on: July 22, 2022, 11:26:04 AM »
Anyone ready to get their under 5's vaxxed?
I was a bit apprehensive, but after meetings with both our son's doctors (endocrin and pediatrician), both are wholeheartedly recommending going through with it. So I think we'll be doing it sooner rather than later. Just gotta find a time that works with the schedule.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4349 on: July 22, 2022, 11:35:48 AM »
Anyone ready to get their under 5's vaxxed?
I was a bit apprehensive, but after meetings with both our son's doctors (endocrin and pediatrician), both are wholeheartedly recommending going through with it. So I think we'll be doing it sooner rather than later. Just gotta find a time that works with the schedule.

I don't have an under 5, so kind of a moot point.  But if I did, here's kind of where my thinking is:  I have some concerns about a vaccine for a child in that early a stage in his/her development, and based on what the virus has been doing, who it is affecting, and how, I don't see an overwhelming need to vaccinate at that age.  But I would absolutely consult with our pediatrician, get a second opinion, kick it around with my doctor friends, and do a lot of reading on my own after that to form a better-informed opinion before making a decision.  It could be that any concerns I have, as well as my lack of virus-related concerns for that age group, are completely misplaced.  And I would want to be better informed if I needed to make that decision for someone in my household.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4350 on: July 22, 2022, 11:55:31 AM »
My 4 year old just got his second shot.  He received his first shot on the first weekend that it was available, and his third shot will be in 5 months.  The dosage for the age group is 1/10th of an adult dose, so it's a very small amount.  He really had zero side effects, aside from a likely sore arm and being a little cranky several hours after the second shot. 

I have no concerns about the child vaccine and our pediatrician's office has recommended the shot and/or hasn't stated a position where parents should be concerned about it.  They have a very strict regular vaccine schedule and do not allow ANY parents to deviate from that schedule.  They'd rather you not be their patient than screw around with your kids' regular vaccines.  I've always appreciated that.

As for my kids, they are pretty active.  We have them in summer camp, so they're around other kids on a daily basis.  With cases on the rise, I'd rather have them get the shots than take any chances without them.  School will start in a month as well, bringing all of the additional exposure to illnesses, including covid. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4351 on: July 22, 2022, 12:47:44 PM »
I don't have an under 5, so kind of a moot point.  But if I did, here's kind of where my thinking is:  I have some concerns about a vaccine for a child in that early a stage in his/her development, and based on what the virus has been doing, who it is affecting, and how, I don't see an overwhelming need to vaccinate at that age.  But I would absolutely consult with our pediatrician, get a second opinion, kick it around with my doctor friends, and do a lot of reading on my own after that to form a better-informed opinion before making a decision.  It could be that any concerns I have, as well as my lack of virus-related concerns for that age group, are completely misplaced.  And I would want to be better informed if I needed to make that decision for someone in my household.

I hear you - I was very apprehensive as well. My son's had Covid, and has done fine. That said, he is in one of the risk groups, so that factors into the equation for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4352 on: July 22, 2022, 12:59:58 PM »
They have a very strict regular vaccine schedule and do not allow ANY parents to deviate from that schedule.  They'd rather you not be their patient than screw around with your kids' regular vaccines.

That seems very odd to me, and something I wouldn't get on board with.  And not from a vax standpoint, just in general.  Fundamentally, I view medical care as being a team effort.  It is the doctor's office's job to offer advice, make recommendations, and help me be informed about decisions that I make.  It is not their job to simply present their schedule of treatment and basically say, "This is what we are going to do.  If you aren't on board, there's the door."  Kind of similar to an investment advisor.  My team advises me and provides info, but doesn't unilaterally make investment decisions without my consent (barring an emergency), and if they did, I would no longer be working with them. 

That office's philosophy seems odd to me.  Not that they aren't entitled to do business how they see fit.  More power to them if that is their model, and their customers are on board with it.  But for me, no thank you.

@Skeever:  Yeah, that makes total sense.  That is absolutely a big part of the equation that should be factored in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4353 on: July 22, 2022, 01:12:08 PM »
They have a very strict regular vaccine schedule and do not allow ANY parents to deviate from that schedule.  They'd rather you not be their patient than screw around with your kids' regular vaccines.

That seems very odd to me, and something I wouldn't get on board with.  And not from a vax standpoint, just in general.  Fundamentally, I view medical care as being a team effort.  It is the doctor's office's job to offer advice, make recommendations, and help me be informed about decisions that I make.  It is not their job to simply present their schedule of treatment and basically say, "This is what we are going to do.  If you aren't on board, there's the door."  Kind of similar to an investment advisor.  My team advises me and provides info, but doesn't unilaterally make investment decisions without my consent (barring an emergency), and if they did, I would no longer be working with them. 

That office's philosophy seems odd to me.  Not that they aren't entitled to do business how they see fit.  More power to them if that is their model, and their customers are on board with it.  But for me, no thank you.

I can see both sides, TBH.  And it really depends a lot upon the type of clinic in my experience.  Private office docs/NPs can really run their practice how they want.  With the only exception being that if they see Medicaid patients, there are some rules and stipulations about how they provide those services.

If the clinic is affiliated with a hospital system, then they typically are constrained by that system.

I know some physicians who - for various reasons - have a lot of special needs kids including those with compromised immune systems and severe medical risk factors.  By allowing parents to space vaccines outside of recommended guidelines, that potentially puts their other clients at risk who come into contact with them in waiting rooms and the like.  Families who have these special needs kids appreciate that their physicians and nurse practitioners set policies that keep their kids as safe as possible and follow the vaccine guidelines for all patients.  They are busy enough that if a parent has a problem with their policy, they don't mind if they get their services elsewhere.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4354 on: July 22, 2022, 01:15:49 PM »
^That makes total sense. 

Offline Grappler

« Reply #4355 on: July 22, 2022, 02:03:16 PM »
If the clinic is affiliated with a hospital system, then they typically are constrained by that system.

Yes they are affiliated with a hospital system.  The website states that they follow guidelines recommended by the American Pediatric Association and refers patients to their policy page.  That link is broken right now so I can't delve into it further, but that's the gist of it.  When expecting parents take a tour of the facility, that's one thing they stress - you're on board with the vaccine schedule, or you need to find another pediatrician.

Harmony may be correct in that they hospital affiliation forces them into a certain type of vaccine schedule.  But from my perspective, over the last 15-20 years, parents have become more and more childhood vaccine skeptical, thanks to Jenny McCarthy and her going on TV, stating that vaccines gave her kids autism.

My sister in law has fallen into that set of beliefs, especially after her oldest son was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder.  She "researched" and is adamant that a certain combination of vaccines gave it to the kid.  She shopped around until she found a pediatrician that would let HER create her own vaccine schedule for her second kid (who also has genetic issues).  I agree with you that medical treatment should be a partnership between the patient/family and doctor, but at the same time, I have a great dislike of parents opting out of general vaccinations based on skepticism.  My country bumpkin sister in law does not know more than an MD, nor should she be in charge of determining at what age her children should get these vaccines based on Doctor Google.

I really like how our doctor's office has said NO to parents who want to wrest control over standard childhood vaccines.  If you don't want your kid to get their measles shot, then they don't want to treat your kid.  It's a nice, clean policy that keeps doctors from having to spend time debating the benefit of childhood vaccinations with certain types of parents.  And for the record, the office and doctors are fantastic when it comes to knowledge and treating our kids, and they are a VERY busy office.  So eliminating the constant vaccine debates frees up the doctors time for everyone.

Back on topic though, this all goes back to the covid vaccine debates of the last year and a half - there is plenty of data due to the pool of sick individuals being so large.  History shows that long-term side effects are generally shown within two months of a vaccine dose, and these vaccines have been studied for much longer than that before being given approval. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4356 on: July 22, 2022, 06:59:28 PM »
I've never heard of a clinic refusing to provide care. Are there other instances/conditions where/when this happens?

Regarding the under 5s, our pediatrician and nephrologist (kidney doc) both said they had no problems with our 4 year old getting the vaccine. Like I said, she was scheduled for her first shot a week after she got Covid. On that note, she is back to normal, though her body is a little sore, likely from both the virus and not being active the last few days. Now my wife has is it, and is congested. My 11 year old and myself feel good and are testing negative. If she gets it and I don't, I am probably going to be banished to a hotel.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4357 on: July 24, 2022, 10:25:15 AM »
Never mind. The Cool family is now 4-for-4. Mrs. is feeling much better, the 11 year old has a scratchy throat, the 4 year old is back to normal, and I feel fine.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #4358 on: July 24, 2022, 06:46:09 PM »
I've never heard of a clinic refusing to provide care. Are there other instances/conditions where/when this happens?

They're not refusing service to anyone.  They're just saying that if you want them to be your doctors, you need to go along with their childhood vaccination schedule - they are happy to discuss it with families and talk about it, but they're not going to make changes to the vaccines given and the ages at which they are given.

Case in point - my sister in law found a pediatrician that would let HER (mom) choose what vaccines her kid gets, and which combinations of vaccines at a particular age of her child.  Her (internet) research led her to believe that autism is caused by a certain combination of childhood vaccines provided at the same time and she wasn't going to let her second child be stricken by autism if she could prevent it by being the one to control at what age her child gets a needle in the arm.

My pediatrician's office won't let parents control that aspect of treatment - the changing of vaccines and mixing and matching when they are given.  They have it set in stone for families, so when you schedule your child's X year checkup, they come in with a tray and 1-3 syringes lined up.  I'm sure they deal with plenty of religious exemptions as well, but they don't want parents marching in and demanding control over the process because of what they read online or see on TV.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4359 on: July 24, 2022, 06:55:19 PM »
I get all that, so I should have said they are putting conditions on service. Which I have not encountered before. But my experience with medical issues doesn't stray beyond the basics (other than my lkid's kidney) and I just go with whatever is recommended.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4360 on: July 24, 2022, 08:14:27 PM »
Jingle.son just tested positive. Man, we all just got our 4th shots 1 week ago. No one else is testing positive (yet). Mrs.jingle and I have both been driving him to/from work for the past 5 days as well. So far, no symptoms for me, but I had it just 2.5 months ago. Mrs.jingle is operating Nader the assumption we already has it, it’s it symptomatic or positive yet.

Good times!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4361 on: July 24, 2022, 08:16:58 PM »
Jingle.son just tested positive. Man, we all just got our 4th shots 1 week ago. No one else is testing positive (yet). Mrs.jingle and I have both been driving him to/from work for the past 5 days as well. So far, no symptoms for me, but I had it just 2.5 months ago. Mrs.jingle is operating Nader the assumption we already has it, it’s it symptomatic or positive yet.

Good times!

Any chance it's a false positive? Was he showing symptoms? Are you going to infect Nick's entire wedding party now?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4362 on: July 24, 2022, 08:22:10 PM »
I don’t think false positives are a thing. And yeah, he’s got a lot of symptoms -sore throat, cough, aches, nausea …

Already sent Nick a PM. If I’m still symptom free and test negative on Friday, I’ll likely still go. If I’m positive, I’ll not be - not sure I can cross the border without lying, tbh.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 08:36:33 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4363 on: July 24, 2022, 08:33:19 PM »
I don’t honk false positives are a thing. And yeah, he’s got a lot of symptoms -sore throat, cough, aches, nausea …

Already sent Nick a PM. If I’m still symptom free and test negative on Friday, I’ll likely still go. If I’m positive, I’ll not be - not sure I can cross the border without lying, tbh.

It would suck if you can't make the trip.

My wife's work tests regularly, and they have a bunch of false positives, but if your son is showing symptoms, then yeah, he's got it. I'm sorry the poor guy is going through it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4364 on: July 24, 2022, 08:49:14 PM »
Unless someone tests daily, and gets 1 positive test in the middle of 6 negative tests, I’d go on the assumption that “false positive” = asymptomatic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4365 on: July 24, 2022, 08:52:15 PM »
Right, yeah, that's just it. But the symptoms are the tell tale sign. Hopefully he gets through it without too much hassle.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4366 on: July 25, 2022, 12:05:59 AM »

Good times!

That sucks mate, hopefully you stay in the clear.

Serious question, what makes you go and get another shot after you've already had COVID and quite badly plus already had three shots?  Not trying to start anything, I'm genuinely curious.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4367 on: July 25, 2022, 04:28:47 AM »
To add to minimizing the affects I'd guess. I also got my second booster months ago.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4368 on: July 25, 2022, 04:35:01 AM »
Fair enough.  Sounded like Chad was quite bad the first time so just makes me wonder the thinking behind it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4369 on: July 25, 2022, 04:38:01 AM »
I'd be more open to another booster if they have a new updated vaccine. I know that immunity wanes, but I'm not exactly sure what another dose of the same does at this point when I already recovered from an infection after the booster.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4370 on: July 25, 2022, 04:59:58 AM »
@ Kade... For starters, it's the national health guidance.  The effects of the vaccine and infection "immunity" have been proven to wane over time - reducing effectiveness against infection quite considerably after a number of months (generally, after 6ish months in both vaccine and infection anti-bodies).  The original vaccines are only showing effectiveness of 20% (protection against infection).  Our last shots were in December, so it'd been 7 months - imo, a booster seemed logical.  "Immunity" from infection or vaccines doesn't last forever.  For some viruses is does, not this though.  Flu vaccines are annual, I personally think that COVID vaccines require a more frequent schedule.

More importantly, the current Omicron variants are 'jumping' vaccines and infection protection.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/11/1110804098/omicron-ba5-variant-covid-reinfections

"Not only is it more infectious, but your prior immunity doesn't count for as much as it used to," he explains. "And that means that the old saw that, 'I just had COVID a month ago, and so I have COVID immunity superpowers, I'm not going to get it again' — that no longer holds."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-07-reinfection-pandemic-months-illness-covid.html

Omicron variants, and BA.5 specifically, show several worrying features. They can evade immunity acquired through earlier infections and breakthrough infections in vaccinated people.

Supposedly, Moderna is close to having an Omicron-specific booster in development or in testing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4371 on: July 25, 2022, 05:14:19 AM »
Fair enough mate, that's all totally over my head.  Its just my pig head that doesn't believe everything they read. 

I spoken to a few customers at work that had adverse reactions to it.  So I've always been skeptical, but I don't get shots for anything so each to their own and more fool me.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4372 on: July 25, 2022, 06:03:18 AM »
Well, after weeks of diliberating, I opted to get my second booster Saturday night.

As an original recipient of the J&J, I've been eligable for the booster since March, but have been dragging my feet for a few reasons: lower numbers, mental exhausting with the topic, and the promise of an Omicron-specific booster on the horizon.

The numbers have obviously risen, and after talking to my mom (who works for the board of health in my state) and three different doctors, I realized that the time is now.

For those who are considering waiting for the Omicron-specific booster, all of my sources said the same thing: 'probably' October at the soonest. For me, that's just too long to wait, especially considering my personal health sitation and the fact that I work with the general public.

Surprisingly, I have still not tested positive. I've taken dozens of tests over the past three years, and have been convinced on multiple occasions that I had Covid, but I have yet to see that 'double line.'

Obviously, the tests are suspect, but I have probably taken 60, so you'd have to think any room for error has been nullified. Go figure.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4373 on: July 25, 2022, 06:06:18 AM »
Fair enough mate, that's all totally over my head.  Its just my pig head that doesn't believe everything they read. 

I spoken to a few customers at work that had adverse reactions to it.  So I've always been skeptical, but I don't get shots for anything so each to their own and more fool me.

I don't believe everything I read either - but when it's coming from multiple (most) credible news, medical and scientific sources, I tend to take notice and defer to the expertise and experience of physicians and researchers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4374 on: July 25, 2022, 07:15:59 AM »
Well, after weeks of diliberating, I opted to get my second booster Saturday night.

As an original recipient of the J&J, I've been eligable for the booster since March, but have been dragging my feet for a few reasons: lower numbers, mental exhausting with the topic, and the promise of an Omicron-specific booster on the horizon.

The numbers have obviously risen, and after talking to my mom (who works for the board of health in my state) and three different doctors, I realized that the time is now.

For those who are considering waiting for the Omicron-specific booster, all of my sources said the same thing: 'probably' October at the soonest. For me, that's just too long to wait, especially considering my personal health sitation and the fact that I work with the general public.

Surprisingly, I have still not tested positive. I've taken dozens of tests over the past three years, and have been convinced on multiple occasions that I had Covid, but I have yet to see that 'double line.'

Obviously, the tests are suspect, but I have probably taken 60, so you'd have to think any room for error has been nullified. Go figure.

Funny enough, I had this conversation just this weekend.   And it's not like I've lived a hermit life.  I've seen concerts, flew more times than I can count, etc.   I'm still careful, but I'm living my life.  COVID at this point is a real thing, but it's not a controlling thing.