Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 194372 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #4270 on: June 16, 2022, 07:29:38 PM »
I’m not sure what’s fucked up about it … as Harmony said, it’s happening already. Happened to Gary’s friend. And realizing / accepting that COVID will be with us forever also brings about future deaths will occur after the “pandemic” is unofficially and officially over.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4271 on: June 16, 2022, 07:32:34 PM »
OK. I see.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4272 on: June 17, 2022, 12:51:21 AM »
I mean, we're all gonna die of something.  I don't understand what changes just because it's COVID. 

I’m not sure what’s fucked up about it … as Harmony said, it’s happening already. Happened to Gary’s friend. And realizing / accepting that COVID will be with us forever also brings about future deaths will occur after the “pandemic” is unofficially and officially over.

Sorry mate, I don't fully understand your point.  You do everything you physically can to avoid and manage it so I wouldn't waste energy worrying about it.

Just add it to the list of cancer, flu's, disease, suicide, old age, freak accidents, allergic reactions, heart attacks, strokes, choking, drowning, aneurysms, violence.........meh.  Such is life.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4273 on: June 17, 2022, 04:33:04 AM »
I mean, we're all gonna die of something.  I don't understand what changes just because it's COVID. 

Sorry mate, I don't fully understand your point.  You do everything you physically can to avoid and manage it so I wouldn't waste energy worrying about it.

Just add it to the list of cancer, flu's, disease, suicide, old age, freak accidents, allergic reactions, heart attacks, strokes, choking, drowning, aneurysms, violence.........meh.  Such is life.

I don't waste energy worrying about it.  My comment was "It dawned on me"... the thought came, and it went.  I just thought I'd comment on it.  100% agree with your second point up there.  To that end, I do actively take reasonable steps to avoid accidents, heart disease, violence etc ...  And so I do/will with COVID as well.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4274 on: June 17, 2022, 05:12:10 AM »
I mean, we're all gonna die of something.

Speak for yourself.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4275 on: June 17, 2022, 08:17:42 AM »
Neither I nor anyone in my nuclear family, nor my Mom nor my brother, have gotten COVID yet, although I suppose an asymptomatic case can't be ruled out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4276 on: June 17, 2022, 08:37:25 AM »
Neither I nor anyone in my nuclear family, nor my Mom nor my brother, have gotten COVID yet, although I suppose an asymptomatic case can't be ruled out.

This.

At this point, my wife, two kids, and I are the ONLY people I personally know who have NOT tested positive, This includes my extended family and dozens of co-workers and even all 4 members of my band?!?

And it's not for lack of trying–I have taken every available precaution, worn masks religiously, got every shot when I was supposed to, and have probably taken 50 tests at this point (due to constant close contacts).

I don't want to minimize or trivialize the risk (frankly, it's simply not in my nature to do so), but I made the decision a few weeks back to stop wearing a mask (which I've long questioned the sense in wearing).

If, after all of this time, I haven't caught it, then if/when I do, I will chalk it up to God's plan.

That, or, as Hef pointed out, I've had asymptomatic cases, which is entirely possible.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4277 on: June 17, 2022, 10:11:42 AM »

I wonder how many people have died in car wrecks on the way to getting a vaccine.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4278 on: June 17, 2022, 10:42:41 AM »

I wonder how many people have died in car wrecks on the way to getting a vaccine.

Probably a shit-ton fewer than died alone in a hospital with a tube down their throat.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4279 on: June 17, 2022, 10:46:09 AM »

Probably a shit-ton fewer than died alone in a hospital with a tube down their throat.

And several other tubes as well.  I wish I could post it here but there was a TikTok video of a nurse describing all the tubes.  Believe me, you want NONE of those.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4280 on: June 17, 2022, 10:52:25 AM »
Well, congratulations on completely missing the point.

:clap:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4281 on: June 17, 2022, 11:13:05 AM »

It's kinda hard to miss nothing.   :biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4282 on: June 17, 2022, 11:21:40 AM »

It's kinda hard to miss nothing.   :biggrin:

You went right past irony into whole new category.  It certainly can't be understood for you.  :loser:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4283 on: June 17, 2022, 03:33:02 PM »

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4284 on: June 17, 2022, 03:34:26 PM »
I mean, we're all gonna die of something.

Speak for yourself.

:lol  Touche.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4285 on: June 17, 2022, 03:49:09 PM »

Are you anti seatbelt?  That's the real question? 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4286 on: June 18, 2022, 03:51:39 AM »

Current estimates of US traffic accidents during 2020 were 1.31 deaths per 100,000,000 miles driven.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/2020-fatality-data-show-increased-traffic-fatalities-during-pandemic

According to this site, the vast majority of the population live within 10 miles of a vaccination site, but lets assume a worst case scenario of 50 miles (an hours drive).

https://www.westhealth.org/resource/vaxmap-potential-covid-19-vaccine-locations/

In 2022 there were 228.2 million registered drivers, lets assume that all of them decide to drive to get vaccinated, and also actually decide to get vaccinated (again not realistic, but a fairly reasonable "worst case"). That equates to 228.2 million multiplied by 100 miles = 22.8 billion miles driven to get vaccinated.

Multiply that by the death rate = (28,800,000,000/100,000,000)*1.31 = 378 deaths, or approximately 0.04% of the current COVID death toll.

So, to answer your question: not many.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 04:02:43 AM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4287 on: June 18, 2022, 04:24:46 PM »

I personally feel that Jingle's takes on the pandemic have mostly been all wrong since day 1, so don't make the mistake of thinking I am taking his side when I say this:  I have no idea what point you were trying to make.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4288 on: June 18, 2022, 04:44:11 PM »
That you have a better chance of dying in a car crash than you do from Coronavirus.  That's what he meant by it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4289 on: June 18, 2022, 07:13:31 PM »

I personally feel that Jingle's takes on the pandemic have mostly been all wrong since day 1, so don't make the mistake of thinking I am taking his side when I say this:  I have no idea what point you were trying to make.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4290 on: June 18, 2022, 07:49:43 PM »

Hmmm…. Never knew there was a right or wrong to one’s own personal risk assessments.  Really not sure what the need or point was of making the first 1/2 of that post was if not to pass your judgment of my attitudes.

Stay classy, Sacramento.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4291 on: June 18, 2022, 10:25:58 PM »
The "need or point" was fully explained in the second half of the post, so grow up and read before opening your mouth.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4292 on: June 19, 2022, 03:15:25 AM »
That you have a better chance of dying in a car crash than you do from Coronavirus.  That's what he meant by it.

Road related fatalities are between 30-50k a year (in the USA), whereas COVID killed 375k in 2020, and over 1 million since the pandemic started. So it's not a view backed by the numbers.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 03:21:23 AM by XJDenton »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4293 on: June 19, 2022, 05:44:36 AM »
The "need or point" was fully explained in the second half of the post, so grow up and read before opening your mouth.

What purpose did the first half of that comment serve? All it accomplished was pointing out you literally believe / think you're more "right" than me.  I've got no problem having a difference of opinions or attitudes, but to call out mine as "wrong" is .... well, I don't know the right adjective.  If you'd said something like "Chad and I see things quite differently when it comes to COVID, but on this comment, I too am not sure what the point is".. that'd be totally fine.

I'm really unclear about the need for the backhanded swing at me, while pointing out we're on opposite "sides" - Americans are all about their divisiveness, eh?  IMO, there need not be "sides" when it comes to sickness, health.  Different views and opinions and attitudes... fine.  But "sides"??

And with your response, I guess the personal attack rule doesn't apply to you?

Still keepin it classy.  :tup  I guess I get to find out if the block function works on mods.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4294 on: June 19, 2022, 06:40:20 AM »

Road related fatalities are between 30-50k a year (in the USA), whereas COVID killed 375k in 2020, and over 1 million since the pandemic started. So it's not a view backed by the numbers.

I agree with you. Just pointing out what he meant.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4295 on: June 19, 2022, 07:04:17 AM »
Huh.  Maybe I’m cynical but I assumed he meant trying to get the shot killed more people than Covid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4296 on: June 24, 2022, 07:49:23 AM »
Wife just got it for the second time after chaperoning our kids school trip on the east coast. So far just cold like symptoms, but we were planning on spending the weekend at a lake house with extended family which is why she tested herself as her cousin is a breast cancer survivor.

Too short of notice to cancel the reservation obviously, so we’re out a chunk of money, plus we bought a ton of food as well.

Funny enough, she got it 6 months ago and we had to cancel Christmas visits with everyone.

I hate Covid.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4297 on: June 24, 2022, 07:58:07 AM »
Fuck, that blows Mark.  Good to hear it's just like a cold, but sucks to miss the family trip/vaca.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4298 on: June 24, 2022, 08:09:18 AM »
My wife has been very concerned and cautious about avoiding Covid as the family is going to HI on Sunday, with me joining them next Sunday. I'm not overly concerned about getting it while there, as we will be in a fairly isolated area and really only interacting with her family. But I have told her I have no intention of staying there if I get Covid while we are there. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4299 on: June 24, 2022, 08:18:47 AM »
I received three packages all on the same day containing a total of (16) at home covid tests? I'm assuming this was the whole government provided stuff from ages ago but I have no idea. Never ordered these or anything.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4300 on: June 24, 2022, 11:09:35 AM »
I received three packages all on the same day containing a total of (16) at home covid tests? I'm assuming this was the whole government provided stuff from ages ago but I have no idea. Never ordered these or anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't those tests come with an expiration date?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4301 on: June 24, 2022, 11:24:53 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't those tests come with an expiration date?

I'll have to take a look....I'm sure you're right. It was just odd to get them all on one day.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4302 on: July 02, 2022, 12:14:32 PM »
It finally happened, damn.

I wanted to live through all of this as a proud person who immediately took this seriously, but alas, I fell.

As of today, I'm positive to Covid... and I'm 99% sure I got it at the Alice Cooper concert wednesday. Last night I started to feel bad, and today I did the test.... I'm positive.

I have to say so far it's just a normal flu.... I'm not devastated, I "just" cough from time to time and I have a headache. I still feel the smells. I hope this is already the worst I'll ever be and shake it off soon, I mean, I had three vaccines, they must be useful for something right?

What can I say? we have to go on living at a certain point, but beware! never lower your guard down. Now I wish I had kept the mask at the concert, but it was no longer mandatory and nobody was wearing it and it was so hot.........
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4303 on: July 02, 2022, 12:19:25 PM »
Feel better soon, man, and take it easy.  Sounds like your symptoms are similar to what mine were (awful flu, but mild overall by COVID standards), and hopefully they stay that way.  :tup :tup

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4304 on: July 03, 2022, 12:12:59 PM »
I wanted to live through all of this as a proud person who immediately took this seriously, but alas, I fell.

I wouldn't take it so hard on yourself.  Hope you feel better soon.

It seems this current wave isn't just dying off though.  The numbers went down a bunch locally but about half way to low numbers it starting creeping back up and I've noticed some more people getting sick here who hadn't caught covid yet.  But all cases I'm familiar with inside my circle of people I know, it's all been very flu like and nothing more serious.  I see most people back in action in 5 days which is better than the 7 day sickness I had in January.