Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 194647 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #4235 on: June 10, 2022, 08:25:20 PM »
.oraziB sa ti depyt I

.dnatsrednu lliw imadA   .sseleulc  ,miT

Indeed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4236 on: June 10, 2022, 08:30:50 PM »
.oraziB sa ti depyt I

.dnatsrednu lliw imadA   .sseleulc  ,miT

Indeed.

:lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4237 on: June 10, 2022, 08:36:41 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4238 on: June 11, 2022, 04:20:52 AM »
  Maybe you just need to be in a line of work that I'm in to get a different perspective, I'm not sure.  I just see things how they are and call a spade a spade.

Maybe ... but I definitely know something about calling a spade a spade.   ;)

I know you do, you're not an idiot and I'm not saying anything about your line of work, you're more successful than I'll ever be but I think it could have an influence on things.

I never thought you were saying anything about my line of work (nor was I trying to imply anything about yours.  Also, I was just trying to be cheeky with the comment about knowing how to call a spade a spade.

Trying to work the quoting part out took more time than the responses, brutal.

Chat with me and Bill for long enough, you'll get the hang of it.   :rollin :rollin :rollin

Anyway, back to how this all started.... I guess Melphina is still banned for breaking the unwritten rule of hurting Bosk's feelings?   :lol :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4239 on: June 11, 2022, 04:30:03 AM »
Yeah....uhh......sorry Mike.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4240 on: June 13, 2022, 07:28:52 AM »
If Kade is a life guard (I know you're more than that, buddy, but bear with) I DO need to know if he can swim.  I DON'T need to know if he's vaccinated.

Bingo. 

I'm a pretty damn good swimmer, a good lifeguard, can maintain pool pumps and water quality.  I need certificates for all those, being vaccinated or not, that doesn't come into the conversation.

Totally fine, and totally accurate.  I just have trouble with the notion of people (generally) being supposedly "against mandates" around vaccination, but don't balk at other mandates - especially when they're are all designed to accomplish the same fundamental thing - public safety.

You and me both; I've alluded to this idea elsewhere in the P/R forum to other issues.  For me, I'm NOT cool with other mandates, as a general proposition.   I approach these things criticially. For me, I start with the premise that "Government ought to mind their own bee's wax" and rationalize from there.  Then there's the role of the individual in a democratic society.  I have to decide whether I want to live in this America, and I have to realize that - despite what various TikTok influencers tell you - I don't get to set the terms of that "living". I've chosen to live my life in a way that isn't a constant battle; if the mandate passes through the appropriate steps of Congress, I'm going to get vaccinated.  Doesn't mean I AGREE with that, but it does mean that I accept my responsibility to be a good citizen more than I want my opinions validated and affirmed.  There's a LOT I do on a daily basis to live in our society that I disagree with.

I think others might disagree, but I don't consider this hypocrisy. It's a series of choices that may or may not all fit together snugly.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4241 on: June 13, 2022, 10:50:12 AM »
If Kade is a life guard (I know you're more than that, buddy, but bear with) I DO need to know if he can swim.  I DON'T need to know if he's vaccinated.

Bingo. 

I'm a pretty damn good swimmer, a good lifeguard, can maintain pool pumps and water quality.  I need certificates for all those, being vaccinated or not, that doesn't come into the conversation.

Totally fine, and totally accurate.  I just have trouble with the notion of people (generally) being supposedly "against mandates" around vaccination, but don't balk at other mandates - especially when they're are all designed to accomplish the same fundamental thing - public safety.

I think others might disagree, but I don't consider this hypocrisy. It's a series of choices that may or may not all fit together snugly.

I don't think I see any hypocrisy there.  You have your belief systems, but will still do your parts as/when required (or mandated) in a democratic nation.  Seems legit to me
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4242 on: June 13, 2022, 07:25:25 PM »
*Clank*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4243 on: June 15, 2022, 04:25:30 PM »
Fauci tested positive. Guess it had to happen eventually.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4244 on: June 15, 2022, 07:10:06 PM »
I can't wait till famous people getting Covid stops being a news story.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

« Reply #4245 on: June 15, 2022, 07:11:01 PM »

I generally only care if it’s an older celebrity I like. Cause then I get nervous.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4246 on: June 15, 2022, 07:51:33 PM »

Same here...though I thought the Fauc getting it was noteworthy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4247 on: June 15, 2022, 07:52:52 PM »

That's cute. Does he call you Lone?   :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4248 on: June 15, 2022, 08:25:58 PM »

That's cute. Does he call you Lone?   :lol

No.. He calls me The Lone

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4249 on: June 15, 2022, 08:39:51 PM »
I call you, Mr. Thrust.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4250 on: June 16, 2022, 08:44:55 AM »
Gotta believe the Fauch was double vaxxed and double boosted, like many of us, and still got it.

It seems far less lethal now so that's good. Maybe it's time to move on and realize we're stuck with this forever. I've been wearing a mask at the hospital now for 27 months. I'm over it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4251 on: June 16, 2022, 09:22:29 AM »
Gotta believe the Fauch was double vaxxed and double boosted, like many of us, and still got it.

It seems far less lethal now so that's good. Maybe it's time to move on and realize we're stuck with this forever. I've been wearing a mask at the hospital now for 27 months. I'm over it.

Same dude... We're still required to mask. Just us, the food servers, all the employees I serve are mask less. And we test twice a week..

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4252 on: June 16, 2022, 09:51:30 AM »
To this day, I still don't know if I've had it or not.  Either had it with little to no symptoms (possibly allergies) or never had it.  Had my 2 shots, but passed on the 3rd booster. :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4253 on: June 16, 2022, 10:27:22 AM »

Same dude...

Same as well.  I was a bit past the time frame for the second booster, so I got it done just because it seems like the smart thing to do to keep my risk of bad symptoms if I get it as low as possible.  But not particularly concerned, and haven't been for awhile.

And, yeah, I know "the virus doesn't care whether I'm 'over it.'"  Yeah.  Viruses aren't capable of "caring" about anything.  We get it.  But we've long been past the point where most of us understand that it is going to spread regardless and that it is not going to have more than a bad flu's or bad cold's impact on the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who get it, which is why most people are out there living their lives and not worrying about it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4254 on: June 16, 2022, 11:37:07 AM »
Yeah, and that seems to be a general consensus, even in my area where everyone has been overtly strict in following the mandates. Alameda County just re-installed their mandate and I'd say half the population are basically 'whatevs'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4255 on: June 16, 2022, 01:49:40 PM »
All the way back to the beginning of this it was never about trying to stop people from getting it.....it was about not overwhelming the hospitals. Never say never....but, I think we're past that point and we can all agree that Covid (or variants of Covid) is not going to vanish....it'll be a part of our lives for years if not forever.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

« Reply #4256 on: June 16, 2022, 01:53:50 PM »
All the way back to the beginning of this it was never about trying to stop people from getting it.....it was about not overwhelming the hospitals. Never say never....but, I think we're past that point and we can all agree that Covid (or variants of Covid) is not going to vanish....it'll be a part of our lives for years if not forever.

I think that was a main part, but also minimizing harm. If Stadler gets some mild covid and recovers, who cares? Right? Hell, we can probably point and laugh. But the problem is when people are dying, getting long covid, etc. Not avoidable by any stretch, but something to always try to reduce.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4257 on: June 16, 2022, 01:59:02 PM »

I think that was a main part, but also minimizing harm. If Stadler gets some mild covid and recovers, who cares? Right? Hell, we can probably point and laugh. But the problem is when people are dying, getting long covid, etc. Not avoidable by any stretch, but something to always try to reduce.

For sure.....it's still a scary ass virus. Just recently a guy I knew socially, we'd hung out a dozen or so times and our kids hang out.....he had a pretty major back surgery. After the surgery the meds he was on hammered his immune system....he catches Covid....spends three months in the ICU and ultimately died. Dude was 44 years old.....more or less in good health other than that back surgery but still.....'young' guy who's body couldn't handle the virus due to his weakened state.

I am under no illusions that the virus can still kill and can still cause issues. I just think that 'we' as a society....America in particular.....are past the point of restrictions and lockdowns etc etc. Not saying that's right or wrong or whatever....I just don't see us ever going back to what it was as far as the mandates and what not.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4258 on: June 16, 2022, 02:03:31 PM »

Yup.  I still regularly check the NJ stats.  I find it interesting.  This current wave is already a good ways down from the peak (still has a lot to go though) but it's very noticeable on the curves to see how this wave the death curve didn't shoot too far up.  It did go up as a 4 week lag over cases but it has never rose anywhere near the heights of previous waves although the cases went past all but the January wave.  To me, it seems covid is not as deadly as it once was.  It's not going anywhere and I still believe it will take a miracle to never get covid, but this is life now.  There will be another wave, I'd guess later in the fall.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4259 on: June 16, 2022, 02:25:18 PM »
it will take a miracle to never get covid

Every person that I knew who hadn't had covid and had made it the past two years without getting it......has come down with it in the past few months. I don't know that I personally know anyone who hasn't had it at least once.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4260 on: June 16, 2022, 02:33:15 PM »

Every person that I knew who hadn't had covid and had made it the past two years without getting it......has come down with it in the past few months. I don't know that I personally know anyone who hasn't had it at least once.

*raises hand*  That isn't to say that I think I won't get it.  But so far, nothing (or have been asymptomatic and didn't know I had it).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4261 on: June 16, 2022, 02:36:45 PM »

We don't know each other from anywhere but here, but I have not had it, my husband has not had it, my kids have not had it (that we know of).  That said, I fully expect to come into contact with it at some point.  I am not looking forward to it - who has time to be sick? - but am confident that I will be fine because of my vaccines and my dedication to hand washing and avoiding people who are sick.  I must say I am getting less patient with people who come to work and attend meetings when they have had close contact exposure.  Yesterday a woman came to a meeting at work and her child had just tested positive that morning - though she did wear an N95 mask.  But this same woman also attended a retirement dinner last night for a coworker and guess what?  You can't wear a mask when you eat.   :tdwn

She made her own choice and I have to live with that.  But it does annoy the fuck out of me.  I have a friend who just began chemo for breast cancer.  I'd like to go and spend some time with her but just this one possible exposure makes me feel like that is too big of a risk.  I feel like 2 1/2 years in, the notion of being aware of risking others' health shouldn't be a hard ask.  And I'm not talking about going to the store or a concert - if I don't want the risk, I don't have to take it.  I don't have that choice at work if people come in sick or exposed.

I had the flu about 5 years ago.  I was sicker than I have ever been in my entire life.  NO WAY I want to go through that again.  I even missed Christmas with my family.  And I had gotten a flu vaccine that year.  I can only imagine how sick I would've gotten if I hadn't.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4262 on: June 16, 2022, 02:38:02 PM »

It seemed from my own anecdotal evidence that most (almost all that I personally know) of the people who got covid on this current wave had never had it before. 

However, my gf and her sister and parents have not had it yet.  I woke up in their house sick with covid and they didn't get it  :lol so I don't know how that family has skirted it for so long, but I keep telling my gf that her time is coming  :lol I do think they survived my infection because they got their 3rd moderna shot right before I got sick with covid so their immunity was probably pretty strong then.  And generally, it seems the moderna shots are the strongest. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4263 on: June 16, 2022, 02:44:17 PM »
I hear you, Harmony.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4264 on: June 16, 2022, 02:51:19 PM »
To Bosk and Harmony.....I hope your continued avoidance of 'the Covid' continues!  :tup

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4265 on: June 16, 2022, 03:18:57 PM »
To Bosk and Harmony.....I hope your continued avoidance of 'the Covid' continues!  :tup

Yeah, I'll try to do the same too.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4266 on: June 16, 2022, 03:38:31 PM »

Me too--especially since I have 2 weeks of back to back summer camps with the kids coming up shortly.  Glad I just got me second booster.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4267 on: June 16, 2022, 06:25:12 PM »
I read a nice article yesterday titled What does it mean to say ‘COVID is over’?.  And while the dire crisis of the pandemic is over, COVID will never be over.  It was a really good op ed about the one side that COVID still kills (at least in Ontario) 20-ish people a day - which at that rate, sustained across a year, would put it in the running for one of the major contributors to overall mortality.  On top of the deaths it is causing, it is also inflicting illness, including serious illness, that continues to exact a real toll on our health-care system, though the hospitalization metrics are improving at this time. Even beyond all of that, there are still social, emotional, and economic costs incurred by COVID-19 that are being felt widely across the population — and medically compromised or otherwise vulnerable individuals still must live their lives with extreme caution.

But there actually is a strong case that it *is* over, in a meaningful sense. Ontario just weathered a wave in which all indicators pointed to widespread infection. We can look at scientific indicators like wastewater, or we can look at the anecdotal ones. As Gary pointed out, so many households, including my own, have had a case of COVID-19 in the past couple of months. That was not the case in any previous wave. And yet we got through this wave, despite the obvious widespread infections, with virtually no public-health measures. Masking is not mandatory outside a few logical, niche environments. Schools stayed open. So did restaurants, bars, entertainment venues, sports complexes, and businesses of all kinds. There were no capacity limits. Hospital utilization certainly rose, but in the most critical metric — ICU occupancy — we never came close to the levels we have seen in previous waves.

I think the journalist summed it up perfectly - COVID-19 will always be with us, but maybe the pandemic is about as "over" as it’s ever going to be. It won’t get much better than this anytime soon.  Are we at the point where this is what COVID-19 will be like going forward?

Ya know, after reading the article, it dawned on me that there is a very good chance the people I love will die of COVID-19.  Again, as Gary recounted, as friends and loved ones get older and more medically vulnerable, it seems like a grim inevitability that, sooner or later, instead of falling victim to cancer or seasonal influenza, or some other illness or ailment, they may pick up COVID-19 and die from it. Depending entirely on when that happens, though, they may not be considered a victim of the pandemic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4268 on: June 16, 2022, 07:02:57 PM »

Ya know, after reading the article, it dawned on me that there is a very good chance the people I love will die of COVID-19.  Again, as Gary recounted, as friends and loved ones get older and more medically vulnerable, it seems like a grim inevitability that, sooner or later, instead of falling victim to cancer or seasonal influenza, or some other illness or ailment, they may pick up COVID-19 and die from it. Depending entirely on when that happens, though, they may not be considered a victim of the pandemic.

This is a fucked up thought. I mean, why even think it?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4269 on: June 16, 2022, 07:14:10 PM »

This is a fucked up thought. I mean, why even think it?

It's already happening.  It doesn't even have to be an age-related thing.  People have put off care because of the pandemic and are now finding out they have cancer and a lot of other life-threatening diseases.

My sister did not die of Covid but she very likely died because of Covid.  She had health problems that her doctors and 3 hospital stays did not manage well because of the pandemic.  She received sub-standard care because of Covid.  It cost her her life.  We are in the process of obtaining her medical records and working with a malpractice attorney.  We don't expect to even go to court.  We expect the pandemic to be the excuse for any issue that we may uncover during the records review.  It is going to be a long haul.  We have been told the process of obtaining the records and having them reviewed by experts will take over a year.  We are in a long line of families doing the exact same thing. 

And yes, Covid will be around like the seasonal flu.  And it will kill people every year, just like the seasonal flu.

It is not a fucked up thought, it is reality.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad