Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 194611 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #3780 on: February 21, 2022, 10:40:10 AM »
Our lives have been SEIZED??

No.  You weren't paying attention.  He said our LIVES have been seized.  Big difference.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3781 on: February 21, 2022, 11:51:18 AM »
 :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3782 on: February 21, 2022, 12:39:35 PM »
Thanks Bosk for the facts!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3783 on: February 21, 2022, 12:43:20 PM »

I am all for protesting, but I don't care who you are or what your cause is, get the fuck off the roads.

Amen to this. The minute you start blocking traffic, threatening motorists, etc., you become just a disruptive asshole, not a good-hearted protestor.

This is where my comments are coming from. You can protest all you like at a school board meeting but the minute you rip people's mask off or threaten their lives then you are trying to restrict others freedoms and you are disrupting their lives and you should be stopped cold in your tracks.

So if you don't want to Vax then don't but don't bitch about wearing a mask on an airplane or when places of education or businesses require masks. They have freedoms too.

It's not that hard folks........

So.... it's stepping over the line to rip off someone else's mask, but not stepping over the line for them to demand (that is to say, enforce consequences for failure to perform) you wear one?  So really only one side's freedom matters there...

(Quick note: no one has the right to be "free from virus" as far as I know.  The U.S. Constitution, for example, promises the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, not " a viral free experience at the local strip mall"). 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3784 on: February 21, 2022, 01:08:47 PM »
So I tested again this  morning, and it came back positive. Motherfucker, looks like a paid week off for RJ.

I guess that's why we vigilantly test, I could've assumed I was fine today, and gone around my town being a little plague spreader, but took a cautionary stance instead.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3785 on: February 21, 2022, 01:14:37 PM »
So I tested again this  morning, and it came back positive. Motherfucker, looks like a paid week off for RJ.

I guess that's why we vigilantly test, I could've assumed I was fine today, and gone around my town being a little plague spreader, but took a cautionary stance instead.

I'm sorry to hear that, RJ.  I hope you feel better soon.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3786 on: February 21, 2022, 01:17:03 PM »

I'm shocked I haven't contracted it yet.  I was sick once, but was negative and found out it was a viral infection that was not covid.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3787 on: February 21, 2022, 01:17:20 PM »
I know I probably don't need to say this, but be careful and stay on top of your symptoms, bro.  I'm glad it is feeling relatively mild, and in all likelihood it will stay that way, but I know you have some underlying stuff that could potentially cause problems, so PLEASE stay on top of it and stay safe. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3788 on: February 21, 2022, 01:18:17 PM »
I know I probably don't need to say this, but be careful and stay on top of your symptoms, bro.  I'm glad it is feeling relatively mild, and in all likelihood it will stay that way, but I know you have some underlying stuff that could potentially cause problems, so PLEASE stay on top of it and stay safe.

Absolutely.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3789 on: February 21, 2022, 01:21:29 PM »

I'm shocked I haven't contracted it yet.  I was sick once, but was negative and found out it was a viral infection that was not covid.

I kind of feel the same way.  Over the last few months, I've taken more tests than I can count (including the more accurate PCR tests) but all negative.  I have actually felt really good over the last month and a half or so, so have only taken a handful of tests, but still.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3790 on: February 21, 2022, 01:23:07 PM »

I kind of feel the same way.  Over the last few months, I've taken more tests than I can count (including the more accurate PCR tests) but all negative.  I have actually felt really good over the last month and a half or so, so have only taken a handful of tests, but still.

Why so many tests?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3791 on: February 21, 2022, 01:23:20 PM »

Indeed. Be well.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3792 on: February 21, 2022, 01:34:53 PM »

I am a broken record, but since most things have reopened after winter 2020/2021 (the last time a lot of us were on strictly serious social shutdown "I'm not seeing anyone for any reason" mode), it is in fact still possible to get a flu, or a cold! I would know, I tested negative four times for four different newly occurring symptoms/illnesses, including one that EXTREMELY kicked my ass and had me convinced it would be COVID, from late November to mid-January. Then I got the thing too lol, at least that one went well.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3793 on: February 21, 2022, 01:48:56 PM »
I am another of the ( suppose) few who haven't ever taken a COVID test. 

This is the longest stretch I've ever had in my life of not feeling sick.  Which means I've probably had COVID asymptomatically 6 or 7 times lol.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3794 on: February 21, 2022, 01:57:55 PM »
I've taken one covid test during this whole ordeal. I hosted a poker game a few weeks back and woke up the next morning feeling the worst I have since maybe the flu a couple years ago. I got my CVS thermometer and it read 93.4. I got one of my meat probes and it gave me the same reading. My head hurt so bad, and I couldn't swallow anything without puking it up violently within just a few seconds.

Showed up negative for Covid and was fine by 9pm that evening (though dehydrated as hell). Must have just been a stomach thing, or just the strangest hangover I've ever experienced.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3795 on: February 21, 2022, 02:07:53 PM »
Chino, you are not a brisket.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3796 on: February 21, 2022, 02:14:46 PM »
Back when I found it more of a concern a local gas station I frequented was closed due to a COVID test among its staff. Went and got a test to be sure.

Have not gotten one since then. Found out I had it when I had an antibody test done.
Over and over again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3797 on: February 21, 2022, 03:37:35 PM »

Why so many tests?

"An abundance of caution".  I was traveling, including flying, a lot, both for work and to see my parents (in Florida) and felt obliged to test after each trip.   With parents in their '80s at one end, and young children (my step son has a 4 year old and a 6 month old).

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3798 on: February 21, 2022, 05:00:07 PM »

I am all for protesting, but I don't care who you are or what your cause is, get the fuck off the roads.

Amen to this. The minute you start blocking traffic, threatening motorists, etc., you become just a disruptive asshole, not a good-hearted protestor.

This is where my comments are coming from. You can protest all you like at a school board meeting but the minute you rip people's mask off or threaten their lives then you are trying to restrict others freedoms and you are disrupting their lives and you should be stopped cold in your tracks.

So if you don't want to Vax then don't but don't bitch about wearing a mask on an airplane or when places of education or businesses require masks. They have freedoms too.

So.... it's stepping over the line to rip off someone else's mask, but not stepping over the line for them to demand (that is to say, enforce consequences for failure to perform) you wear one?  So really only one side's freedom matters there...

(Quick note: no one has the right to be "free from virus" as far as I know.  The U.S. Constitution, for example, promises the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, not " a viral free experience at the local strip mall").
Yeah - exactly!

What about violence do you not understand?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3799 on: February 21, 2022, 06:20:43 PM »

Yeah - exactly!

What about violence do you not understand?

I think we're clearly talking past each other. I saw no violence in merely "threatening someone's life" as opposed to an actual battery.  If that is an assault on someone's freedom, then so is threatening their liberty.    If you're literally talking touching someone, there's a difference there, for sure.  I've always said, everything I say is valid UP TO a provable crime occurs.   

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3800 on: February 21, 2022, 06:31:52 PM »
Also, if you make a law to do something, by definition it is violence. If you don't comply, the cops are coming with their guns.
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3801 on: February 23, 2022, 02:01:05 PM »
NJ governor announced today that March 4th will be the final weekly Covid briefing as we transition to the new normal where covid reporting isn't needed weekly.  That date also coincides with the 2 year anniversary of the first confirmed covid case in the state.  What a wild and sad 2 years it's been. 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3802 on: February 23, 2022, 02:12:18 PM »
I'm also in the minority that have not been COVID tested... I did Antibody test prior to receiving the vax just to see if I had the Antibodies as I was uncommonly sick for three days at the beach in Oct 2019 (weirdest experience I've ever had). 

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 02:36:11 PM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3803 on: February 23, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »
In our city and county, mask mandates fall by the wayside as of this coming Monday, since case counts have fallen quite a bit.

I hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass like it did the last time they let the mandates go.  I really do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3804 on: February 23, 2022, 02:34:00 PM »
That's my fear as well. But I am a little more hopeful this time. Just have to wait and see.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3805 on: February 23, 2022, 02:53:00 PM »
If it comes back, it's not likely (IMO) due to loosening of the restrictions but due to a new variant.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3806 on: February 23, 2022, 03:03:40 PM »
Just because mandates fall doesn't mean you have to take yours off.

Signed-someone who caught covid on day one of mandates being dropped :p

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3807 on: February 23, 2022, 03:59:56 PM »
If it comes back, it's not likely (IMO) due to loosening of the restrictions but due to a new variant.

To this I only say BA.2.

Just because mandates fall doesn't mean you have to take yours off.

Signed-someone who caught covid on day one of mandates being dropped :p

I'll still be masking indoors in populated places (I'm looking at you, Costco) for quite some time, and will probably break it out again in the usual cold/flu season.  That's prolly gonna be my new norm for at least 1 more year - and I doubt I'll be the only one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3808 on: February 23, 2022, 04:27:05 PM »

To this I only say BA.2.

BA.2 has been around too long for me to think of it as a concern.  I think we would have seen more upticks since it's discovery a couple months ago.  I mean, it only took a few weeks from when omnicron was first discovered to it becoming an issue and BA.2 has been advertised as more contagious so I feel like, and I could be wrong, if it was a major variant of concern, we would know by now.  It may also just be that it being a subvariant of omni that natural infection from omni also protects you from BA.2 (I have no idea, just thinking aloud if that could be the case)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3809 on: February 23, 2022, 05:09:08 PM »

Given variants are more likely the more infected people there are, they are correlated factors.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3810 on: February 23, 2022, 05:15:18 PM »

Given variants are more likely the more infected people there are, they are correlated factors.

Yes I can see that, but we aren't going to go to 0 infections and we can't control everyone.  We have to accept as the NJ governor called it in his announcement today the "new normal" where covid isn't going away and we can't have restrictions and mandates forever. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3811 on: February 23, 2022, 05:48:39 PM »
So just an update...all in all my covid experience has been rather bland. Monday was the worst with fever, chills, and brutal bodyaches, but the fever broke that night, and now I'm just resigned to a good sore throat and getting tired easily. Looking to be back at work on Monday if everything goes as planned, not sure how it's gonna pan out though since we're supposed to get tested upon entry, but my boss assured me there's different protocol for anyone who recently tested positive and went through quarantine. Very thankful for the vaccine, being over 50 and a type 2,this could've gotten really ugly, and I could see exactly where it would've gotten ugly on that Monday when my breathing was tight.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3812 on: February 24, 2022, 05:04:19 AM »
It's not too often one sees the word "bland" from a chef, and is very happy about it
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3813 on: February 24, 2022, 05:58:45 AM »

CORRELATED, not CAUSAL.   I'm cool with however this plays out, as long as 1) the pandemic isn't further weaponized to achieve non-COVID goals, and 2) we remember that COVID's gonna do what COVID's gonna do regardless of what we humans do.  If you want to improve your odds, by all means you should be able to without rancor, abuse or ridicule.  If you DON'T want to improve your odds, by all means you should be able to without rancor, abuse, or ridicule.   I get that "masks are not for you, they're for everyone else", but as I've said numerous times, we don't have a fundamental right to be optimized against viral infection. 

Me? I have a mask with me wherever I go; I'm also very cool with holding it up and saying "yes or no?" and going with what makes my immediate company comfortable.   I'm decent at reading rooms, and I'm not a "fuck you I do what I WANT" kind of guy, so it will be case-by-case no doubt.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3814 on: February 24, 2022, 06:20:57 AM »
CORRELATED, not CAUSAL.

I've worked in science for two decades and have 70+ papers under my belt in the field of correlation spectroscopy. Can we work on the assumption that I am aware of the difference?

I'm cool with however this plays out, as long as 1) the pandemic isn't further weaponized to achieve non-COVID goals, and 2) we remember that COVID's gonna do what COVID's gonna do regardless of what we humans do.

How well it can do it is very much dependent on what humans do though. It's much less likely to evolve the fewer people who have it, and the more of those people who are vaccinated. Otherwise medicine and public health measures would be worthless endeavours.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman