Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 194418 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #3745 on: February 19, 2022, 11:25:24 AM »
Completely choking off the downtown core
Harassing citizens and businesses
Defacing national monuments
Polluting the air
Noise pollution from the truck horns including overnight
Property damage
Threats to politicians and the Prime Minister “catch a bullet” being a phrase the chief organizer used
Concealed weapons
Numerous bylaw infractions (erecting structures, unsafe fuel storage among others)
General lawlessness

That sounds like an ordinary Tuesday in Seattle.

I am all for protesting, but I don't care who you are or what your cause is, get the fuck off the roads.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3746 on: February 19, 2022, 11:35:13 AM »
Polluting the air
Property damage
Threats to politicians and the Prime Minister “catch a bullet” being a phrase the chief organizer used
Concealed weapons
Numerous bylaw infractions (erecting structures, unsafe fuel storage among others)
General lawlessness

I am all for protesting, but I don't care who you are or what your cause is, get the fuck off the roads.

Why not be like that one guy who rammed down protestors blocking the road?

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3747 on: February 19, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
@Reapsta. You clearly have your sources you will believe, and I if I as a Canadian who has been following this daily for the last 23 days, and who knows people with first hand knowledge, is someone you’re going to contest each and every point, you’re obviously dug in with your tribe.  Not interested in giving you more data points to contest. You’ve obviously done your own research, and drawn your own conclusions. To characterize this as “rowdiness” is a clear demonstration of ignorance, or hard core bias. I don’t care which; you’ve shown your hand, and there’s no useful discourse to be had here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3748 on: February 19, 2022, 11:58:58 AM »
Polluting the air
Property damage
Concealed weapons
General lawlessness

You talking Charlottesville?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3749 on: February 19, 2022, 12:11:02 PM »

Amen to this. The minute you start blocking traffic, threatening motorists, etc., you become just a disruptive asshole, not a good-hearted protestor.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3750 on: February 19, 2022, 12:20:31 PM »
Polluting the air
Property damage
Concealed weapons
General lawlessness

You talking Charlottesville?

That and many others...

That made me type into YouTube, "running down protestors on roads" and I found a lot of news stories of different incidents of people doing this.

And I also found this Vice news story of an Oklahoma law...
https://youtu.be/DsSt2sd-f-c

And here's one from the occupation of Seattle.
https://youtu.be/KxeNxaJqPbE

So what is the difference of these protests and the mandate protest in Canada?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 12:26:50 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3751 on: February 19, 2022, 12:31:01 PM »
Not speaking on Canada since they're under a different rule of law, but in the US you have a right to peaceably assemble to redress grievances. I'd say it's up to the govt and to the collective population to decide what defines peaceable. In the case of the Canadian protest, they didn't qualify

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3752 on: February 19, 2022, 12:46:14 PM »
Not speaking on Canada since they're under a different rule of law, but in the US you have a right to peaceably assemble to redress grievances. I'd say it's up to the govt and to the collective population to decide what defines peaceable. In the case of the Canadian protest, they didn't qualify

Didn't qualify under what determination? It shouldn't matter, the right to protest applies to any human being. And this isn't based on a human law. It's human nature to protest when you feel silenced and ignored. How do children get attention, they cry or act out, this is called "cry for attention".

These behaviors of protesting are how humans handle the situation of being ignored. Or as Stadler puts it, having enough of being treated as the lesser out group, while being excluded from the better in group.

Authoritarianism is fascinating, only due to how it's based on human behaviors and the desire for power and control.

What I do not like is how the authority utilizes Detrimental situations for their own beneficial gain. And this is something that has occurred throughout human history in every culture of the world. I would even say that is the foundation of what history is.

And there are humans out there who are tired of living under the current system of society. They're awakening to the realization of how the world is run and what our sustainability is reliant upon. So they're voicing their concerns and one way is to gather and protest for the world to hear. But based on many different variables, the concerns of the people vary.

Horton heard the whos and had to convince the others to hear the whos. Their needs to be a leader who is the Horton for the people.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3753 on: February 19, 2022, 01:35:18 PM »

Amen to this. The minute you start blocking traffic, threatening motorists, etc., you become just a disruptive asshole, not a good-hearted protestor.

This is where my comments are coming from. You can protest all you like at a school board meeting but the minute you rip people's mask off or threaten their lives then you are trying to restrict others freedoms and you are disrupting their lives and you should be stopped cold in your tracks.

So if you don't want to Vax then don't but don't bitch about wearing a mask on an airplane or when places of education or businesses require masks. They have freedoms too.

It's not that hard folks........

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3754 on: February 19, 2022, 08:56:21 PM »

A problem though is - If you live in a city, is a protest even possible without blocking the roads?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3755 on: February 20, 2022, 04:37:49 AM »

A problem though is - If you live in a city, is a protest even possible without blocking the roads?

Yes.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3756 on: February 20, 2022, 07:30:30 AM »
Their called sidewalks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #3757 on: February 20, 2022, 08:38:42 AM »
No, the truckers just don't want to live under a social credit system linked to a QR code under the guise of public health, but many people are too ignorant to understand this. 

This post (and your subsequent ones) remind me of the old axiom...

You clearly have no knowledge about what those protests were really about, so pretty please, with a cherry on top, ferme la bouche.

@Reapsta.... the Ottawa event was far from a peaceful protest.  I have many colleagues who work in Ottawa, so I'm not solely relying on media reports when I say with absolute confidence, this was more of an occupation than a protest.  It doesn't take too much hunting to provide proof of the that.  Was there direct physical violence - not exactly.  But that's shouldn't be the only yardstick of "peaceful".

This post (and your subsequent ones) remind me of the old axiom...

I have been following the Freedom Convoy since its inception and watching live streams on the ground and video updates from the organizers. It was a peaceful gathering to protest the government's ongoing draconian Covid restrictions and end all mandates. To say that it was about anything other than that indicates either stupidity or willful ignorance.

I don't listen to the demands of authoritarians, so I will continue to speak out against what I know to be wrong.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3758 on: February 20, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »
I have been following the Freedom Convoy since its inception and watching live streams on the ground and video updates from the organizers. It was a peaceful gathering to protest the government's ongoing draconian Covid restrictions and end all mandates.

And that about sums it up.  You've been following the propagandist anarchists that that feed your own echo chamber.  Were there some peaceful participants/activities.  Sure.... but I'll also note that "peaceful" =\= "lawful".  To call it a peaceful protest is viewing it through your own bias and anti-gov't lens - which is fine... you do you. But embrace your inner anarchy if this is going to be your stance. Post and defend their manifesto.  Quote Pat King from his videos.  Acknowledge that they seized public property for 22 days.

To say that it was about anything other than that indicates either stupidity or willful ignorance.

See, now you're getting it!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3759 on: February 20, 2022, 09:57:09 AM »
Over and over again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3760 on: February 20, 2022, 09:59:58 AM »
How inconvenient for them. Better to inconvenience others.  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3761 on: February 20, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3762 on: February 20, 2022, 10:04:19 AM »
Their called sidewalks.

Very cramped!

And uneven!

If you had enough people on the sidewalks, they'd become effectively unwalkable!

How inconvenient for them. Better to inconvenience others.  :)

If it's not inconvenient, it's a crappy protest.
Over and over again

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3763 on: February 20, 2022, 10:15:23 AM »
At least in the city there are alternative routes non-protesters can take. One of the Canadian protests was clogging a main artery between US and Canada. Or was I reading propaganda? ???

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3764 on: February 20, 2022, 10:21:10 AM »
Man, can't believe this thread is going to put me on the side of the freedom truckers.

If the Truckers want to do a little Civil Disobedience, that's their call. If they choose to do it in a way that disrupts daily life, the Government can either remove them (forcibly) or decide to back down on mandates that, quite honestly, don't even make sense from my point of view.

The continued disruption caused by the protests is not the fault of the protestors, but it's the fault of a Government that does absolutely nothing but sit on its hands and wait to see which side public opinion favors for the next election.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3765 on: February 20, 2022, 10:22:25 AM »
At least in the city there are alternative routes non-protesters can take. One of the Canadian protests was clogging a main artery between US and Canada. Or was I reading propaganda? ???

I believe you are correct.

In some broader moral sense, the border blockade might be defensible, but it's a complicated issue that's better sorted out in P/R. No interest in trying to defend it here.
Over and over again

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3766 on: February 20, 2022, 11:12:46 AM »
you know what I kind preferred it when everyone ignored Canada most of the time

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3767 on: February 20, 2022, 11:22:11 AM »
Man, can't believe this thread is going to put me on the side of the freedom truckers.

Here’s the thing, by the time it got to Ottawa, it was no longer a protest about van mandates for truckers crossing the border. This “movement” was co-opted by Canada’s version of the alt right. It was just aided along by a couple dozen big rigs that started the idea, then a couple more dozen truckers who piled on to the “cause”. This was never solely a protest by truckers.

And again, this was far more than civil disobedience.  As for forcibly removing them, that was last weekend at the Ambassador Bridge; and this weekend in Ottawa.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3768 on: February 20, 2022, 12:30:18 PM »
So I woke up this morning congested, with a brutal headache and backache. Of course in these days my mind immediately goes to covid panic mode.. Bust out the rapid test and it comes up negative. Take another a few hours later, negative again. No fever, and I can still taste and smell (especially the atrocious BO of the dude I walked by in the store yikes!!)

It occurs to me, this is the first legit cold I've had since December 2019,and it happened in the first week of being unmasked.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3769 on: February 20, 2022, 03:27:52 PM »
Oh goodie  :P

First we complain about supply chain issues!  Then we incite people to sabotage the supply chain!

And then we try to figure out how to spell the months of the year.  GENIUS! 

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3770 on: February 20, 2022, 03:32:48 PM »
 :lol

I just can't...I'm going back to my soup, 7up and binge watching Punisher. Forgot how relaxing being sick is.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3771 on: February 20, 2022, 03:35:10 PM »
So I woke up this morning congested, with a brutal headache and backache. Of course in these days my mind immediately goes to covid panic mode.. Bust out the rapid test and it comes up negative. Take another a few hours later, negative again. No fever, and I can still taste and smell (especially the atrocious BO of the dude I walked by in the store yikes!!)

It occurs to me, this is the first legit cold I've had since December 2019,and it happened in the first week of being unmasked.

I meant to reply to your post.  You might want to retest again in a couple of days.  I know a number of people who tested negative at the onset of symptoms and then tested positive 2-3 days later.

In any case, I hope you feel better soon.   :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3772 on: February 20, 2022, 03:38:43 PM »

I meant to reply to your post.  You might want to retest again in a couple of days.  I know a number of people who tested negative at the onset of symptoms and then tested positive 2-3 days later.

In any case, I hope you feel better soon.   :heart

Oh I definitely will, got 6 more tests here, and my work will test tuesday upon entry. My symptoms are already lightening up just with good rest, so hopefully it's just a mild bug. Thanks!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3773 on: February 20, 2022, 04:16:41 PM »
Keep us posted! Am I in the growing minority of people who have never taken a Covid test? My wife is stockpiling them here. Our 10 year old will sneeze a couple times and she will give her a test.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3774 on: February 20, 2022, 08:28:58 PM »
Keep us posted! Am I in the growing minority of people who have never taken a Covid test? My wife is stockpiling them here. Our 10 year old will sneeze a couple times and she will give her a test.

Took another tonight, negative again. That combined with no fever, and the fact that my pozole with ghost pepper sauce was delicious and beyond spicy, points to a common cold. I'll test again tomorrow, and Tue am at work, but I think I'm just sick lol.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3775 on: February 21, 2022, 06:40:57 AM »

I've taken two when New York needed them for travel to and from last year but the thought of using one every time you feel a little congested or similar kind of baffles me. Last month I had a cold which morphed into a sinus infection and everything progressed exactly as it has in the past with me but I still got the "did you test yourself?" whenever I mentioned it to someone as if what I have could only be Covid and it was some plague level thing. I suppose it's a peace of mind kind of deal but unless I'm forced to I don't see the need to take a test.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3776 on: February 21, 2022, 08:02:33 AM »

I've taken two when New York needed them for travel to and from last year but the thought of using one every time you feel a little congested or similar kind of baffles me. Last month I had a cold which morphed into a sinus infection and everything progressed exactly as it has in the past with me but I still got the "did you test yourself?" whenever I mentioned it to someone as if what I have could only be Covid and it was some plague level thing. I suppose it's a peace of mind kind of deal but unless I'm forced to I don't see the need to take a test.

I don't get it either. My son has asthma. Am I supposed to stick one of these things up his nose every day?

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #3777 on: February 21, 2022, 09:12:15 AM »
I have been following the Freedom Convoy since its inception and watching live streams on the ground and video updates from the organizers. It was a peaceful gathering to protest the government's ongoing draconian Covid restrictions and end all mandates.

And that about sums it up.  You've been following the propagandist anarchists that that feed your own echo chamber.  Were there some peaceful participants/activities.  Sure.... but I'll also note that "peaceful" =\= "lawful".  To call it a peaceful protest is viewing it through your own bias and anti-gov't lens - which is fine... you do you. But embrace your inner anarchy if this is going to be your stance. Post and defend their manifesto.  Quote Pat King from his videos.  Acknowledge that they seized public property for 22 days.

To say that it was about anything other than that indicates either stupidity or willful ignorance.

See, now you're getting it!

How is viewing raw, live footage of what was actually happening on the ground in Ottawa and listening to what the organizers had to say (something that Trudeau could have easily done) considered "following propagandist anarchists"? What should I have done to educate myself on the convoy, listen to corporate legacy media?

How about acknowledging that the government has seized everyone's LIVES for two years?! I'm sorry the honking upset you.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3778 on: February 21, 2022, 09:18:34 AM »
Our lives have been SEIZED??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3779 on: February 21, 2022, 09:47:57 AM »
Our lives have been SEIZED??

:omg: OMG

Get the torches and pitchforks!!  :biggrin: