Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 194722 times)

Offline emtee

Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #2940 on: December 30, 2021, 02:07:46 AM »
Blew our daily record out of the water. 46K new cases. I'm guessing the true number is triple because everyone who thinks they have a cold probably has it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2941 on: December 30, 2021, 05:37:50 AM »
Blew our daily record out of the water. 46K new cases. I'm guessing the true number is triple because everyone who thinks they have a cold probably has it.

That's the prevailing thought by the medical community here - the real case count is 3-4x the official results - assumptions of having it, asymptomatic, can't get a test scheduled, longer delay in test results, + at home tests being the reasons.  New records are being broken everywhere.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2942 on: December 30, 2021, 06:32:08 AM »
NY's previous record was 22K from January, over the past 2 weeks we've been having "record" numbers almost every day. We are up to 67K now.

Anyways, got my booster yesterday, other than a sore arm and feeling a bit light headed, I'm feeling alright. Hope the side effects don't get worse.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2943 on: December 30, 2021, 07:26:43 AM »
Dumb question but are the numbers supposed to be new cases for just that day or an updated cumulative total?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2944 on: December 30, 2021, 08:08:23 AM »
Dumb question but are the numbers supposed to be new cases for just that day or an updated cumulative total?

Daily/new
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2945 on: December 30, 2021, 08:15:25 AM »

That's the prevailing thought by the medical community here - the real case count is 3-4x the official results - assumptions of having it, asymptomatic, can't get a test scheduled, longer delay in test results, + at home tests being the reasons.  New records are being broken everywhere.

During the 'initial' covid wave or whatever our household made it all the way to december then caught it and I only knew a handful of people who'd had it. As I sit today....and I just counted this number.....between co-workers and family I know 27 people who've come down with it over the past week...week and a half.

Scary thing is that had my sister in law not tested positive I don't even know if we'd have tested or thought we had it. Very light symptoms. Outside of a low fever two nights ago where I also had some small body chills and aches.....lasted maybe two hours.....what I've experienced could have easily been dismissed as a cold. Some dry coughing and head congestion. That's it. I wonder how many folks experienced the same but didn't quarantine and exposed people?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2946 on: December 30, 2021, 08:39:39 AM »
Scary thing is that had my sister in law not tested positive I don't even know if we'd have tested or thought we had it. Very light symptoms. Outside of a low fever two nights ago where I also had some small body chills and aches.....lasted maybe two hours.....what I've experienced could have easily been dismissed as a cold. Some dry coughing and head congestion. That's it. I wonder how many folks experienced the same but didn't quarantine and exposed people?

But isn't that actually the opposite of scary?  I mean, the fact that the symptoms were so mild that you wouldn't have even bothered testing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2947 on: December 30, 2021, 09:06:44 AM »

But isn't that actually the opposite of scary?  I mean, the fact that the symptoms were so mild that you wouldn't have even bothered testing.

True. I guess I was meaning more that I would have just went along and probably infected dozens of people. Personally, I think that the push by the powers that be now should be you get your Corona vaccine with your Flu shot every fall and that's that. We all go about our lives as 'normal'. This thing isn't going to vanish but ones things clear, being vaccinated significantly diminishes the effects of Covid.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2948 on: December 30, 2021, 09:32:53 AM »

Isn't that the goal?

What is the outcome anyways?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2949 on: December 30, 2021, 10:12:02 AM »
Side note: while my symptoms to this point have been pretty mild....I'm experiencing quite a bit of dizziness today. It's odd. I'm drinking a ton of water so I don't think I'm dehydrated.....just am having some bouts of dizziness. I don't recall that being a major symptom or side effect....but I got it.

Online Skeever

« Reply #2950 on: December 30, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »

Yeah, I hear this. And this is why I'm not testing unless I absolutely have to. I'm triple vaccinated. If I'm sick I'll stay home until I'm not sick anymore. If I'm not sick, I'm just going about my life. Unless the Government wants to guarantee everyone's unlimited paid sick time for each 10 day isolation period. Because otherwise I frankly cannot afford it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2951 on: December 30, 2021, 10:47:01 AM »
Hospitalizations in Ontario went up 47% in one day (491 people to 726 = 235 people hospitalized in one day); cases went up from 10,400-ish to 13,800-ish ... 32% increase).  But don't worry, it's jut mild symptoms, everyone... and this shouldn't be scary or alarming at all.   ::)

Online Skeever

« Reply #2952 on: December 30, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »

Isn't that the goal?

Yes... this is the goal for most aside from some who still seem to be under the impression that there is some kind of 0 Covid scenario on the table (see above).

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2953 on: December 30, 2021, 11:08:22 AM »

Isn't that the goal?

Yes... this is the goal for most aside from some who still seem to be under the impression that there is some kind of 0 Covid scenario on the table (see above).

Is it the goal of the authorities in charge of all these mandates and lockdowns?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2954 on: December 30, 2021, 11:18:46 AM »
I think that, as with all things, assuming there is one single unifying goal of "the authorities" is missing the mark.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2955 on: December 30, 2021, 11:43:38 AM »
I think that, as with all things, assuming there is one single unifying goal of "the authorities" is missing the mark.

Oh I know that all too well. And that's the answer then, there is no One Unified goal to handling this virus.

And to me, it has to do with the idea that Human Beings are our own individual with a unique mindset. The idea that Human Beings are a conscious spirit that becomes the identity of the design that is presented on this Earth.

NO OTHER has control over that besides YOU. In the end, whatever one believes lies only with YOU and the other higher belief. Just because YOU don't believe or think certain thoughts DOES NOT mean the other DOESN'T.

That is the issue with doing what is supposedly right, and doing what is supposedly wrong. The issue is that Two people can think and believe two totally opposing things.

For me, it's like we're being pulled to go either this or that way with a disregard that there is a middle path we can use, even if it is weedy and full of snakes lurking in the tall grass.

Online Skeever

« Reply #2956 on: December 30, 2021, 02:59:20 PM »
Is it the goal of the authorities in charge of all these mandates and lockdowns?

Building on what Bosk says, at least in the US, there are all different states with different prerogatives for how they are handling things. Some states have more people who want their governments to "DO SOMETHING!" and so they fight to keep certain mandates in place regardless of whether they are really doing anything at this point. Other states have the opposite. But I think overall, lockdowns and mandates are not being used to great effect in the US. Just turn on the tube for Sunday Football and you'll see bleachers filled from sea to shining sea. So as per usual, our politicians already agree on most of the big thing ("there will be no lockdowns; we have to learn to live with it; encourage vaccines") and are chiseling away at the most divisive inconsequential wedge issues they can find, like masking and protocols.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2957 on: December 30, 2021, 04:24:40 PM »
Welp, I finally joined the covid party. I managed to dodge the previous variants but omicron got me. I spent two days in bed with a high fever and now I'm feeling much better. Cases have been surging here in Argentina and I'm not surprised one bit. People stopped caring about wearing masks ans distancing and these are the results. I honestly don't know how we get out of this. This virus spreads like wildfire and does not seem to stop mutating. Unless we take pretty drastic measures, this thing will be with us for long.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2958 on: December 30, 2021, 04:59:56 PM »
Where I am in the world we've had it as good as anywhere if not better.  State borders opened and now cases surging.  Have 2 staff members been confirmed cases this morning...........awesome.

One went to a music festival where there were no real restrictions in place and caught it from there, as have many others.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2959 on: December 30, 2021, 05:10:08 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/france-implements-popcorn-ban-for-movie-theaters-amid-record-covid-surge/ar-AASi4Ma?li=BBnb7Kz

Lol France.

C'mon in and sit with a hundred other people and watch a movie....but for your safety..NO POPCORN!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2960 on: December 30, 2021, 05:51:58 PM »
Wife says she can’t really taste anything while eating dinner tonight. Meanwhile I still am not having any symptoms.

Did find out our neighbor (J&J no booster) has it. He’s in his mid 60’s, smoker, bad heart and has half heartedly been taking things seriously. Their daughter has had it twice, isn’t vaccinated, his step son had it recently and isn’t vaccinated, and his wife (J&J no booster) has COPD and is on oxygen. To say I’m concerned about their situation is an understatement.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2961 on: December 30, 2021, 06:20:26 PM »
Wife says she can’t really taste anything while eating dinner tonight. Meanwhile I still am not having any symptoms.

Did find out our neighbor (J&J no booster) has it. He’s in his mid 60’s, smoker, bad heart and has half heartedly been taking things seriously. Their daughter has had it twice, isn’t vaccinated, his step son had it recently and isn’t vaccinated, and his wife (J&J no booster) has COPD and is on oxygen. To say I’m concerned about their situation is an understatement.

Sorry to hear about your wife. That symptom sucks so bad.
As for your neighbours, you are right to be concerned, but ultimately it is their choice to get vaccinated or not, as much as I hate to say that. I would avoid being near them though.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2962 on: December 30, 2021, 07:20:36 PM »

You have to make a decision for you and your family. He has his problems so I think you know the answer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2963 on: December 31, 2021, 03:05:27 AM »
Hospitalizations in Ontario went up 47% in one day (491 people to 726 = 235 people hospitalized in one day); cases went up from 10,400-ish to 13,800-ish ... 32% increase).  But don't worry, it's jut mild symptoms, everyone... and this shouldn't be scary or alarming at all.   ::)

There's actually legit data now that omicron is 40-60% less severe than delta in terms of symptoms, but this just shows that mere volume can be enough to cause trouble with this. Less severe symptoms should also mean hospitalizations will be shorter on average.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2964 on: December 31, 2021, 04:58:06 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/france-implements-popcorn-ban-for-movie-theaters-amid-record-covid-surge/ar-AASi4Ma?li=BBnb7Kz

Lol France.

C'mon in and sit with a hundred other people and watch a movie....but for your safety..NO POPCORN!

How does eating food increase the risk of transmission?

If anything, choking on the kernals would be far more riskier!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2965 on: December 31, 2021, 04:59:01 AM »
Where I am in the world we've had it as good as anywhere if not better.  State borders opened and now cases surging.  Have 2 staff members been confirmed cases this morning...........awesome.

One went to a music festival where there were no real restrictions in place and caught it from there, as have many others.

Now, 3 staff members.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2966 on: December 31, 2021, 06:07:42 AM »

Lol France.

Well, you can lol Canada then too, as entertainment venues are not permitted to sell food or drink - but you can buy it for take-out!  @ Kade, just removing masks to eat/drink will spread this. jingle.son and I saw Matrix earlier this week (there were about a dozen people in a 450 seat theatre).  The staff monitored the theatre, and at one point did actually ask someone to put their mask back on.  Omicron is an airborne virus, whereas the original strains were believed to have to travel on breath droplets.  I believe that's part of the reason is spreads so much - it simply lingers in the air ... and cloth masks do jack-shit.

Also, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (owner of the Leafs and Raptors) are not permitting any ticket-holders in the arena.  New limitation is for 1000 people, so they'll be only permitting invited guests of the teams.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2967 on: December 31, 2021, 10:47:14 AM »
I assume the logic behind the popcorn ban is so you keep the mask on throughout the film.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2968 on: December 31, 2021, 11:33:55 AM »
I'm reading reports of people getting it from obvious sick people who are coughing and/or sneezing in public.  Some people take off their mask to cough or sneeze.  What's "a little cough" or "sniffles" to one person can KILL SOMEONE ELSESTAY HOME if you have ANY symptoms!!!  >:(
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2969 on: December 31, 2021, 11:56:48 AM »
I'm reading reports of people getting it from obvious sick people who are coughing and/or sneezing in public.  Some people take off their mask to cough or sneeze.  What's "a little cough" or "sniffles" to one person can KILL SOMEONE ELSESTAY HOME if you have ANY symptoms!!!  >:(

People were doing that before. And if it doesn't hinder there day to day activities, people will continue to leave the home, even with a little cough or sniffle. There's not much you can do about that. You'd have to make people change a behavior that they don't see as hindering their daily life to live and get things done.

Also, some people can not afford to just stay home when sick. Priorities take over as they might need food, need something around the house that they need to go to the store to buy, like baby essentials. Also, people need to make money and most people can't even afford to miss work, or else that pushes back their bills and financial situations.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2970 on: December 31, 2021, 02:47:38 PM »
Along those same lines I will say the one "good" thing about this is that prior to the start of it all our HR department was not allowed to send people home even if they came in visibly sick and admitted they were sick but they've since switched their tone and rules. I had asked a manager one time what the deal was and she didn't get a straight answer from HR but it was something along the lines of potential discrimination or however they felt like covering their ass. I had a fellow co-worker, a very obvious sick time abuser who used his sick time for sporadic extra personal days, interact with me when he admitted he was sick and when I told him he should go home he laughed and told me he didn't have any sick time. Sure enough I myself got sick over the next couple of days and it was over the start of a Christmas break which annoyed me.

Cut to now my office mandates are a bit too intense and I was just informed that we need to operate at a 50% capacity "until further notice" since we're in NY state. Nothing I can do about it but the mandates now are way worse than the ones last year during the much more potent strain of the virus.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2971 on: December 31, 2021, 03:13:53 PM »
So the situation is you could either let that side take a bigger hit, which does effect everyone on this planet. Or, try and balance it to where it can still be stable enough to not cause a massive struggle on the entire construct of the system humans currently live by.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: January 02, 2022, 01:41:26 PM »
Pretty sure I have covid.  My brother and his gf tested positive a few days after Christmas, after I was at their place.  I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and by the evening had a low grade fever.  Seems exactly the same symptoms as they had.  Fairly mild overall, like a light flu. I can't find a test ANYWHERE though to confirm the suspicions.  The state (NJ) will send you a free at home test so I ordered one, but it won't be here until Tuesday and then takes a few days to get the results.  My doctor friend said he could give me a PCR test tomorrow but it will take 5 or so days to get results.  Every store in the area is out of at home tests.  I did actually buy a few online last week but they won't be here until Thursday the earliest.  Oh well, I am going to assume I have covid and just lay low for the 5 days recommended by the CDC (assuming my symptoms go away, they are actually already slightly better today so I think this will pass quick).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2973 on: January 02, 2022, 01:45:26 PM »
Pretty sure I have covid.  My brother and his gf tested positive a few days after Christmas, after I was at their place.  I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and by the evening had a low grade fever.  Seems exactly the same symptoms as they had.  Fairly mild overall, like a light flu. I can't find a test ANYWHERE though to confirm the suspicions.  The state (NJ) will send you a free at home test so I ordered one, but it won't be here until Tuesday and then takes a few days to get the results.  My doctor friend said he could give me a PCR test tomorrow but it will take 5 or so days to get results.  Every store in the area is out of at home tests.  I did actually buy a few online last week but they won't be here until Thursday the earliest.  Oh well, I am going to assume I have covid and just lay low for the 5 days recommended by the CDC (assuming my symptoms go away, they are actually already slightly better today so I think this will pass quick).

Sounds like you got it. I'm glad you're not panicking about not getting a test. Seems there's way too much of that. People should just do what they always do when they get sick. Stay home and lay low.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2974 on: January 02, 2022, 01:54:18 PM »

You'll receive your test results to see if you are positive with Covid after the end time the CDC recommends a person to quarantine?

???