Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 193195 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #2590 on: November 04, 2021, 07:05:21 PM »
Here, for Pfizer or Moderna, we need to be outside of 6 months from second dose and be in one of the following groups

-Age 18+ who are at increased risk due to social inequity, or

What?

Exactly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2591 on: November 05, 2021, 07:34:26 AM »
I get my Moderna booster shot today at 4:00. A friend of mine told me to go the CVS or (in my case) HyVee and fill out the form and tell them you are high risk because they do not check or confirm your risk status.

But I called our local county health center and I do qualify because of my hypertension. I really believe they are playing loose with the guidelines because there is a lot of vaccines going to waste.

If you want  and are eligible (more than 6 months with Phizer and Moderna) for a booster shot, I suggest you just sign at your local pharmacy or grocery store.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2592 on: November 05, 2021, 08:08:34 AM »
I know Cram mentioned he got the J&J vaccine. After seeing this published study that was done with Veterans, you probably want a booster.

By the end of September, Moderna’s two-dose COVID-19 vaccine, measured as 89% effective in March, was only 58% effective.

The effectiveness of shots made by Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine, which also employed two doses, fell from 87% to 45% in the same period.

And most strikingly, the protective power of Johnson & Johnson's single-dose vaccine plunged from 86% to just 13% over those six months.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2593 on: November 05, 2021, 08:15:02 AM »
Yeah, I remember hearing something along those lines.  J&J vac'd folks really should get that booster.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2594 on: November 05, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »
I will probably get one before Thanksgiving.  I haven't seen any data that shows it's effectiveness wanes that much though as the above example.  Of the handful of people I know who got J&J, none so far have had breakthrough cases (including my parents in Florida who live like covid doesn't exist) and myself who has gone to 25 concerts now maskless. 

My point, I know I've been exposed to covid from my neices who were sick with it and I didn't get sick.  Also I have not gotten sick from being exposed to at least 100k people combined from all those concerts.  I'm thinking I don't "need" the booster to be honest.  But it will put some ease on me when I travel because I just don't even want to catch a mild infection and be stuck in limbo. 

Having said that, I should have gotten the boost this week and let it slide.  I'm heading to Atlanta tomorrow and Metallica's concert doesn't require any vaccination or negative test to enter sooooo let's see what happens.  (that should be another 50k or so people exposed).  But I think I want to get the boost for sure before I go to Florida to see my parents for Thanksgiving and definitely before my 15 day trip to Europe in December.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2595 on: November 05, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »
Having said that, I should have gotten the boost this week and let it slide.  I'm heading to Atlanta tomorrow and Metallica's concert doesn't require any vaccination or negative test to enter sooooo let's see what happens. 

My daughter's school (and other things I've read, like health department contact tracing) considers exposure to be 15 minutes in the immediate vicinity of a covid-positive individual.

I saw a small concert in August and it was like walking through a restaurant.  Pass one person here, stand next a few people there.  So my exposure, despite having 150 people in the room, was fairly minimal.  I was in the direct vicinity of a handful of people, but some dude in the back that coughs into the air, may not infect me being 30 feet away, even if we were both in the same concert hall for 2 hours.

So I'd think your actual exposure in terms of numbers of people at shows, would be less.  Maybe you're actually close to and interacting with 50-100 people throughout the night. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2596 on: November 05, 2021, 10:03:39 AM »
Sold out 20k concerts like Maroon 5 and Dave Matthews on the lawn means I'm spending significant amount of time without any distance from people.  Also mosh pits and what not for the metal/punk shows Ive attended.  There's very little examples of me having my own space at concerts because I like to get involved.  I also chat with people.  Now that I think of it, Guns N Roses was like the only concert where no one was sitting near me.  But then again I sat on packed trains to get there (albeit masks are required on public transportation).

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2597 on: November 05, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
That's cool - I wasn't sure what your interactions/exposure was like.  It just seemed like saying "50,000 capacity = 50,000 person exposure" may not be fully accurate, as you might not be close to every single person during the night. 

I tend to believe in my vaccine as you do, and I'm trusting it to do the job.  Though I am a bit more selective with my behavior, since I don't want to bring covid home to my unvaccinated kids. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2598 on: November 05, 2021, 10:24:31 AM »
I try to be conscientious, but I'm not perfect. I've flown to Florida, and when I was there I wasn't isolated or quarantined. I lived my life, including going to some of the bars near the shore.  I can't for the life of me believe I haven't  been exposed to it in some form or fashion.  I too know of no one personally that got a breakthrough case (that's not to imply that I don't believe it happens; it does).   I will get the booster too, to be safe, but I'm waiting until right before T-Giving, when I will be home and (except for my wife) alone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: November 05, 2021, 10:30:07 AM »
That's cool - I wasn't sure what your interactions/exposure was like.  It just seemed like saying "50,000 capacity = 50,000 person exposure" may not be fully accurate, as you might not be close to every single person during the night. 

I tend to believe in my vaccine as you do, and I'm trusting it to do the job.  Though I am a bit more selective with my behavior, since I don't want to bring covid home to my unvaccinated kids.

Yeah, I live alone so I don't really have that worry about bringing something home.  And if I added the capacity of all those shows, it would be way over 100k as well.  I mean I was on a packed floor for Bad Religion, about 5k attendance total indoors.  Could barely move.  I didn't have exposure to 5k people, but it would definitely be significant.

Actually I know of one breakthrough case but he got pfizer.  His symptoms were just a cold but he did loose sense of taste/smell.  It also doesn't seem like he spread it to anyone (including his wife and two children) so I'd say the vaccine likely still performed well.

I should add, NJ/NYC area is an area of the US with not only high vaccination rate, but high infection rate so the immunity in this area is likely pretty strong.  The more I think of it, the more I feel like I should have gotten that boost on Monday because I really am not sure the general immunity of Atlanta will be near as strong as it is here, plus there's not any requirements to attend this concert at Mercedes Benz Stadium.   I could get it today, but then I risk feeling like crap all day tomorrow and I don't want that. 

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2600 on: November 05, 2021, 11:39:35 AM »
Everyone I know that received the Pfizer shot had very few side effects.  Shot 1 was just like a flu shot, with no side effect.  Shot 2 gave my wife and I some tired-ness, but that's all.   She just got her 3rd shot and she had a big headache and some nausea overnight, but no fever.  I'm not sure how receiving Pfizer shot #1 on top of a J&J shot would work when it comes to side effects.

On a side note, my daughter had yet another bad cold/respiratory virus last week.  100 to 102 degree fever, some vomiting in the morning (just due to the fever and maybe swallowing a lot of mucus).  It really knocked her on her butt for about 4-5 days.  We kept her home from school for one day and the school nurse once again requested a covid test to rule it out.  She had a strep test too and said she preferred that to the covid test, even though it made her gag.  Thankfully the had the weekend to get over the fever. 

I'm glad that the school is very proactive and on top of child illness, but I'm so damn tired of having to get her covid tests every single time we keep her home from school.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2601 on: November 07, 2021, 06:42:21 AM »
Booster update - other than a sore arm I have not had any adverse reaction to the Moderna booster.  :metal (deep sigh of relief)

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2602 on: November 09, 2021, 07:50:12 PM »
Snipping this from my post in P/R:

Went and got a booster yesterday - marked the "high risk" box due to my job.  I do take public transportation weekly and am around more people in the city.  Pfizer just asked the FDA to allow all 18+ individuals to get boosters and Chicago's top doctor said that they won't turn any 18+ person away if they want a booster.  My arm is sore again and last night I got fairly tired and felt a bit out of it.  Other than that, no side effects.

Oh - and my 6 year old daughter got her first shot on Saturday!  The day they approved the kids' vaccine, I signed her up on the pediatrician's portal page.  They called a couple of days later and ended up having a cancellation for the next day.  We took it - she was SO excited to get her covid shot.  I told her that I was proud of her for making the decision on her own (she said that she wants to be protected).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2603 on: November 11, 2021, 06:30:31 AM »
Winter arrived here and the situation is once again turning bad (The Netherlands).

Both the Jansen and Astrazenica groups are apparently at quite the risk of Delta still and the average age of the non-vaccinated hospitalised people has gone down to 59 years. And the elderly (and immuno compromised people) do really need that booster, it seems. I sincererly hope they will start giving boosters asap and get the plan to vaccinate children greenlit soon. Because as is I feel we are once again running well behind the facts, which is super frustrating.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: November 11, 2021, 02:49:36 PM »
Received my Pfizer booster Monday.  I can finally raise my arm up with no pain.  I am still experiencing the occasional slight chill, some slight sweats, and a slight fatigue today after sleeping about 12-16 hours total yesterday.  But I am 'old'.  And we're experiencing a Maryland November, where it hits the mid70s one day, then low 50s the next.

My older best friend suffered severe chills his first night, then was OK.  His wife never experienced extreme discomfort, but it took her days to finally feel 'good'.

I just figured that the more I felt like crap now, the more effective it is. 

Next up is my second shingles shot in mid December.  The first one was a real  :censored  :censored
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2605 on: November 11, 2021, 04:43:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1458898859242012675?s=20

It isn't very often that I agree with Gene fucking Simmons, of all people, but it has been a weird couple of years, eh?  ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2606 on: November 11, 2021, 05:24:05 PM »
DragonAttack, got my 1ST shingles shot with my flu shot. The shingles shot arm really hurt for 2 days compared to the flu shot.

My booster shot is tomorrow after work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 05:37:17 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2607 on: November 11, 2021, 07:16:09 PM »
My wife and sons get their booster tomorrow evening.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: November 11, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »
I hope it doesn't affect me so I can see my nephew play on the Garden ice Saturday.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2609 on: November 11, 2021, 07:18:17 PM »
Good luck with the shots, fellas, for realz. :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2610 on: November 11, 2021, 07:22:20 PM »
I hope it doesn't affect me so I can see my nephew play on the Garden ice Saturday.

You'll be there. If you have to play hurt, so be it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2611 on: November 11, 2021, 07:27:21 PM »

If they do a temp check is my worry.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2612 on: November 11, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »

Bring the cowbell just in case.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2613 on: November 11, 2021, 07:31:40 PM »

Oh gotcha!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2614 on: November 12, 2021, 06:35:33 AM »

I'd bring the vaccine card or a photo of it - if you have a slight temp, you can show them the card that confirms that you are vaccinated and received a booster just prior to going. 

You could also call the venue and talk to someone about how strict their rules are for fevers - would they let you in if you can show that the fever is from the booster shot that you received a day prior to the event?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2615 on: November 12, 2021, 06:43:00 AM »
Massachusetts, well, Boston is very strict so I'm not sure.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: November 12, 2021, 07:15:24 AM »
Massachusetts, well, Boston is very strict so I'm not sure.

Pop some Advil starting Saturday morning. That helped control my feverish symptoms with my two doses.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: November 12, 2021, 07:18:30 AM »
No can do.  I'm on blood thinners.  I can take acetaminophen. (Tylenol)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: November 12, 2021, 07:19:13 AM »
No can do.  I'm on blood thinners.  I can take acetaminophen. (Tylenol)

Ok, that then.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2619 on: November 12, 2021, 07:23:02 AM »
WHISKEY
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2620 on: November 12, 2021, 07:25:53 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: November 12, 2021, 07:36:35 AM »
WHISKEY

Too bad Lisa is getting her eyes checked that morning.  This would work.  LOL

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2622 on: November 12, 2021, 09:32:58 AM »

Bring the cowbell just in case.

I was thinking the same thing!   :) :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2623 on: November 20, 2021, 02:22:30 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: November 20, 2021, 02:48:38 PM »
No idea. This never made much news use here. Senators in Canada are not the same as US Senators. I honestly don’t know what function they form in our government system.