Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195187 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #2205 on: September 21, 2021, 11:16:29 AM »
No argument here, Chad, just explanation:  I'm getting a little tired (generally, not with you or DTF) of this idea that there is an explanation for everything.   Our society is devolving into a cesspool of rationalizations.   Watch any reality TV show, and the worst behavior is ALWAYS justified.  "He did this".  "She said that".   The cooking shows I watch:  EVERYONE has a story or an angle that somehow makes them more deserving of winning. When EVERYONE has a story or a rationalization, by definition - in a society that adheres to the rule of law - NO ONE does.    Except in the most egregious of cases, where a distinct "right" is at risk, I don't really care what the rationalization is at this point. 

I think from the standpoint of the patron, and their presence in the restaurant (or not), it doesn't matter what the owner thinks.  There's no moral high ground with "mask" or "no mask" for those of us that feel he can refuse service for any reason or no reason at all.

:clap:  No disagreement.

Yes, a business owner can refuse service for any goddamned reason he or she wants.  My only point was that (imo) there is a reasoned justification to do so in one case; but not in the other.  Otherwise, we're on the same page here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2206 on: September 21, 2021, 11:27:29 AM »
It seems like more people these days want to flex their political muscle for all to see these days.

In the past, a business owner would never want to lose a dollar over some political stance.  Now everyone is willing and proud to show you. 

I miss the days of personal beliefs staying personal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2207 on: September 21, 2021, 11:32:37 AM »
San Francisco mayor London Breed, in defense of being photographed at a night club mask less...

"Like, we don't need the fun police to come in and try and micromanage and tell us what we should or shouldn't be doing. We know what we need to do to protect ourselves,"

Liberal politicians make it really hard to defend them sometimes....

Seriously though, she needs to fuck off with this attitude.

Or they just don't care, and are trying to save face when they get caught. They're humans, and are prone to all the faults of the common man. Just because they're a politician doesn't mean they are not capable of this kind of attitude. She's just being exposed by getting caught.

Her initial defense was that "you don't understand, it was the first time in over a decade that the original members of Tony, Toni, Tone performed together"

And when pressed, she doubled down on it.

She's getting dragged in glorious fashion on the radio

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: September 21, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »
San Francisco mayor London Breed, in defense of being photographed at a night club mask less...

"Like, we don't need the fun police to come in and try and micromanage and tell us what we should or shouldn't be doing. We know what we need to do to protect ourselves,"

Or they just don't care, and are trying to save face when they get caught. They're humans, and are prone to all the faults of the common man. Just because they're a politician doesn't mean they are not capable of this kind of attitude. She's just being exposed by getting caught.

Her initial defense was that "you don't understand, it was the first time in over a decade that the original members of Tony, Toni, Tone performed together"

Well!  In that case, carry on. Nothing to see here.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2209 on: September 21, 2021, 11:39:23 AM »

It doesn't bother me when personal beliefs become public.  It just bothers me when judgment happens because of personal beliefs or when people become jackasses in how they express their personal beliefs.  If I thought you were a great person that I enjoyed being around, why should that change if I later discover that you believe something I disagree with?  You are still the same person.  If I enjoy eating at your restaurant because the food is good, I like the service, and/or I like the atmosphere, why would I stop liking any of those things if I later discover the owner believes something I disagree with?  The things I like have not changed.  Cutting off a person or a business I enjoy and care about just because I later discover that their personal beliefs do not align with mine says more unfavorable things about me than about that person, IMO. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2210 on: September 21, 2021, 11:42:41 AM »

Can't find the exact quote, but there is another part of her response that was actually pretty reasonable.  She basically said [paraphrase]: "Everyone at the table was vaccinated, and we knew it was safe.  There's no reason to mask in between bites or sips.  That isn't realistic or helpful."  And she's right.  The problem is, that directly contradicts the indoor mask mandate for everybody that she advocated for and she put in place.

Glad I don't live in that city/county.  In mine, the rule is that you are supposed to mask up when you enter, regardless of vaccination status, and then can unmask once seated.  That still doesn't completely follow logically from what health officials say we should do, but it's reasonable, and most don't seem to have a problem with it.  I see a lot of people (myself included) who take it one step farther and will mask up again at the table when the server comes to take the order or drop off food, and I think that's reasonable as well, even though not spelled out as a requirement.  But the SF rule makes little sense, and this latest incident highlights that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:47:55 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2211 on: September 21, 2021, 11:44:07 AM »
I think that is the problem though these days bosk1.  We could disagree and still be friends but it never got too deep.  Now, there are those willing to destroy relationships over politics and it's maddening. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2212 on: September 21, 2021, 11:50:04 AM »
I think that is the problem though these days bosk1.  We could disagree and still be friends but it never got too deep.  Now, there are those willing to destroy relationships over politics and it's maddening.

This happened last weekend in my gamer friends discord channel.  Just a massive fight between the anti-vaxxers and the pro-vaxxers.  Ended up with one person who's been active in the channel for years being banned.  I think that person went below the belt and too far, but still, an example of this type of mentality ruining friendships.  Granted, I actually never liked that guy so I'm not upset, just more so the idea that these conversations can go south so quick and take a turn for the worst when these people have been gaming together for so long.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2213 on: September 21, 2021, 12:03:55 PM »

Can't find the exact quote, but there is another part of her response that was actually pretty reasonable.  She basically said [paraphrase]: "Everyone at the table was vaccinated, and we knew it was safe.  There's no reason to mask in between bites or sips.  That isn't realistic or helpful."  And she's right.  The problem is, that directly contradicts the indoor mask mandate for everybody that she advocated for and she put in place.

Exactly.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2214 on: September 21, 2021, 12:04:29 PM »
And.. It was TONY TONI TONE!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: September 21, 2021, 12:43:57 PM »

It doesn't bother me when personal beliefs become public.  It just bothers me when judgment happens because of personal beliefs or when people become jackasses in how they express their personal beliefs.  If I thought you were a great person that I enjoyed being around, why should that change if I later discover that you believe something I disagree with?  You are still the same person.  If I enjoy eating at your restaurant because the food is good, I like the service, and/or I like the atmosphere, why would I stop liking any of those things if I later discover the owner believes something I disagree with?  The things I like have not changed.  Cutting off a person or a business I enjoy and care about just because I later discover that their personal beliefs do not align with mine says more unfavorable things about me than about that person, IMO.

I don't disagree, but there's a continuum of "personal beliefs" that can be tolerated and those that can't be.  Like, if I find out my favorite chef likes growls in his death/doom metal, I'll still eat at his restaurant.  If I find out he is required to wear an ankle bracelet and isn't allowed within 500 yards of public schools or childcare centres... I might find a new favorite restaurant.

I mean, Stads and I are still planning a beer together sometime, so I mostly agree with what you say - but there are limits.  I guess when another's beliefs start entering a grounds that aren't congruent with my own morals/ethics/values, that's where the tipping point starts to give way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2216 on: September 21, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
There's a strong believe these day that my thought process means more than your thought process and I'm going to let you know that these days.  It's funny, I never once asked anyone their political leanings.  It was, did they treat others with respect?  They were a good person.  I enjoyed hanging out with them.  There's an inclusiveness these days that is not healthy as all.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2217 on: September 21, 2021, 01:19:25 PM »
I'm sorry, and I know this makes me part of the problem, but I just can't not rag on someone who says things like:

"The point of mandatory vaccination is to identify the sincere Christians in the ranks, the free thinkers, the men with high testosterone levels, and anyone else who doesn't love Joe Biden and make them leave immediately," Carlson said. "It's a takeover of the U.S. military." - Tucker Carlson

It's my personal belief that Tucker is a shithead who is intentionally exploiting people's hesitancies and beliefs for the sole purpose of lining his pockets. His actions/words bring actual harm to people and their families. In no scenario would I ever show that man an ounce of respect. I'm not going to go out of my way to egg his house, or scream obscenities at him should I see him on the street, but I wouldn't waste one second of my life having a beer with that man.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:31:40 PM by Chino »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: September 21, 2021, 01:23:11 PM »
That's my point. We never did those things 20 odd years ago.  Or at least most.  Today the % of those who say what they believe and feel has risen to extreme levels.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2219 on: September 21, 2021, 01:47:36 PM »
I'm sorry, and I know this makes me part of the problem, but I just can't not rag on someone who says things like:

"The point of mandatory vaccination is to identify the sincere Christians in the ranks, the free thinkers, the men with high testosterone levels, and anyone else who doesn't love Joe Biden and make them leave immediately," Carlson said. "It's a takeover of the U.S. military." - Tucker Carlson

It's my personal belief that Tucker is a shithead who is intentionally exploiting people's hesitancies and beliefs for the sole purpose of lining his pockets. His actions/words bring actual harm to people and their families. In no scenario would I ever show that man an ounce of respect. I'm not going to go out of my way to egg his house, or scream obscenities at him should I see him on the street, but I wouldn't waste one second of my life having a beer with that man.

I'm pretty sure the bold is 100% true. As having spoken to someone who knows him, he even agreed with this.  Tucker is not nearly as stupid as the things he says.  But apparently doesn't have much morals. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2220 on: September 21, 2021, 02:16:06 PM »
That's my point. We never did those things 20 odd years ago.  Or at least most.  Today the % of those who say what they believe and feel has risen to extreme levels.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the likes of Carlson/Hannity/Jones don't personally believe 1/2 or more of the BS lies information content they spout, but don't care because - as Chino said - they make bank on it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2221 on: September 21, 2021, 02:32:20 PM »

If what he says only affects those unaware/gullible enough to believe his words, why do you care so much?

The ones who should be caring for those people are the ones that are close and personally know them. I could honestly give two shits about someone I don't know, that is until I talk to them and get to know who they are, and that includes their perspectives about politics and religion. Which is quite telling when relationships can be threatened when these two topics are not touched upon at all. This is where one assumes something about a person and acts upon it.

If you talk to people and ask them, they may tell you and they may not, they may also take time to open up to other people about personal matters because they don't want to feel like an outcast and be shunned for even speaking their minds.

But hero's need enemies and someone to tar and feather as it's a part of the game. When that person goes away, people will find another to tar and feather and name-call.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2222 on: September 21, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »

If what he says only affects those unaware/gullible enough to believe his words, why do you care so much?

Because I love people who are unaware and gullible.

My grandmother was gullible like you wouldn't believe in her later years. Tucker's program was her favorite show. She couldn't tell you what she had for breakfast as she was taking her last bite of it, but she could rattle off every problem talking point the left had with Kavanaugh when he was being vetted. Had she not died in late 2019, I'd bet my left testicle, my dog, and my home that she would have refused a vaccination solely because of Tucker Carlson.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2223 on: September 21, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »

Yeah, no kidding.  I wish I had the full story here before passing judgement!  HAHA  :) :) :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2224 on: September 21, 2021, 02:59:38 PM »

Yeah, no kidding.  I wish I had the full story here before passing judgement!  HAHA  :) :) :)

Here's the video, she comes out strong with the Tony Toni Tone defense, then doubles down around 4:40.

https://youtu.be/H03Ds3GNaBo

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2225 on: September 21, 2021, 03:15:06 PM »
I usually don’t post very often and not nearly with this much content, but this has been weighing on me for a couple weeks now.

I noticed some posts here earlier talking about regret.  Here’s a shitload of regret to ponder.  My aunt and uncle on my mom’s side couldn’t get vaccinated because of certain physical conditions.  At least that’s what I was told.  Well, you’d think that they would be hunkering down, distancing and following the necessary guidelines instead of going on vacation back in July in the middle of a global pandemic.

Well, guess what?  They both get Covid and end up in the hospital.  My aunt made it out of the hospital but my uncle didn’t.  Ventilator, Tracheotomy, blood transfusion.  His body was so worn out from fighting the virus, he died of cardiac arrest.  The last thing he knew was giving them permission to induce a medical coma before going on the ventilator.  Why anyone would take a chance and put their family through that much grief is unfathomable to me.  Completely selfish and ignorant.  As tragic and sad as it seems, I’m more pissed off than anything else.  WTF were they thinking?  A great guy who touched so many lives is senselessly gone.  Leaving many family members grieving and scratching their heads.  Not only is my aunt living with survivor’s guilt and without her husband, but also with a massive amount of regret for such a bad decision.  Baffling.  I’m finding it extremely difficult to have any sympathy for that situation.  Something that could’ve been avoided with just a shred of common sense (if there is such a thing these days).

It’s been 2 weeks and I’m still pissed off about the whole thing.  One of the things that pisses me off the most, hits pretty close to home.  5 years ago my late GF died of a brain hemorrhage due to a cancerous tumor which was previously undetected by doctors.  She was gone so suddenly and unexpectedly through no fault of her own.  Just gone and didn’t deserve what happened to her.  On the other hand, some people make bad decisions and end up paying for it with their lives.  Oh and get this.  They don’t want to have a memorial service right away because of the pandemic.  Duh!!!  Sorry, but I can remember a great man on my own without a memorial service thank you very much.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: September 21, 2021, 03:37:19 PM »
That is horrible. I'm so sorry.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2227 on: September 21, 2021, 03:53:13 PM »
Steve, I'm sorry to hear that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2228 on: September 21, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate that but don't feel too sorry for me.  Although, it was a stark reminder of my own grieving, this post was more of a rant than anything else.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2229 on: September 21, 2021, 04:08:56 PM »
If there was a medical reason, as you were told, it's tragic, really.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2230 on: September 21, 2021, 04:20:21 PM »
Yeah, I echo the sympathy others have expressed.  So sorry to hear that. 

I feel fortunate that most of my family and other loved ones have been reasonably careful, in terms of getting vaccinated if able, and/or other reasonable precautions.  And of those who have not, they have either not gotten it or not gotten sick enough for it to be an issue.  I do have two friends that passed away.  Both were older.  Both were reasonable careful, but knew there could be problems if they got it due to their age and other likely complications.  Still, they lived their lives rather than hiding in a hole in the ground.  They were both very godly men who knew where they were going if they passed, and as a result of that confidence, there were no regrets on their part, or from their wives or families about anything.  I can only wish that for all who may themselves or have family members have a serious run-in with this virus.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2231 on: September 21, 2021, 04:31:30 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friends Bosk.  Yeah, I don't envy the choices that some people are struggling to make, but they do have to be smart and careful choices, or reasonable at best.  Not only for themselves but for loved ones as well.  We are definitely living in a different reality these days.  I'm still trying to come to grips with a few things myself.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: September 21, 2021, 04:33:55 PM »
Breaks my heart to hear that bosk1.  I'm not a religious MSN but my thoughts are with them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2233 on: September 21, 2021, 04:56:11 PM »
Really terrible to read about this, sorry for your losses dubleagent and bosk. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2234 on: September 21, 2021, 05:03:51 PM »

It’s been 2 weeks and I’m still pissed off about the whole thing.  One of the things that pisses me off the most, hits pretty close to home.  5 years ago my late GF died of a brain hemorrhage due to a cancerous tumor which was previously undetected by doctors.  She was gone so suddenly and unexpectedly through no fault of her own.  Just gone and didn’t deserve what happened to her.  On the other hand, some people make bad decisions and end up paying for it with their lives.  Oh and get this.  They don’t want to have a memorial service right away because of the pandemic.  Duh!!!  Sorry, but I can remember a great man on my own without a memorial service thank you very much.

I am very sorry about your family...

The bolded is one area where it could be said...How is one supposed to know that she did not deserve what happened to her? There are people who believe in Karma, and likely would have said, "She likely did something in her past life to warrant getting cancer in this lifetime", or "She did something in her past to have the Karma rebound on her now"...The point being, you can't really be saying this either as we do not know whether one deserves to die a certain way. What if this Covid sickness and disease is Karma rebound for all the crap we humans are doing to the Earth? How is one to know that we do not deserve the sicknesses we get because we are damaging the Earth so bad?

It's sad what happens. Here's another story about not having control over people's lives. I have lost many people to issues related to Alcohol Abuse, I am not blaming them for their own decision to drink themselves to death and doing nothing to get help. They chose to continue doing what they're doing, they made that choice with their own judgement. I may not like it, but it's what they chose and I can only accept it because they are in control of THEIR life, not me or anyone else.

This is the decision making process, and these decisions are determined by many, many factors. I talk about people enjoying the comforts of life and not wanting to put them away for awhile for the supposed "better good" of humanity. Such as, traveling to places around the world when there is a pandemic. I really do feel that halting traveling would've been the best possible solution to completely help in wiping the virus as humans transmit the virus by traveling. How else did Delta get here, that strain did not mutate in the US.

This is why I asked the question, Is anyone even asking how these people that can not take the vaccine due to health issues feel about this pandemic? Obviously your uncle and aunt determined that they would rather live their lives and enjoy the comforts rather than stay home and keep safe. They determined they would rather live life than stay at home cooped up and bored.

I know people who got the vaccine and then went to Florida in the middle of their outbreak, and then when they got back, tested positive. They are okay and fine, but there are people out there whom thought and think the vaccine was what they needed to do and did it so they could go wherever the hell they want, and get covid and test positive because they don't have to worry about dying now they got the vaccine.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2235 on: September 21, 2021, 05:09:15 PM »
Yeah, I echo the sympathy others have expressed.  So sorry to hear that. 

I feel fortunate that most of my family and other loved ones have been reasonably careful, in terms of getting vaccinated if able, and/or other reasonable precautions.  And of those who have not, they have either not gotten it or not gotten sick enough for it to be an issue.  I do have two friends that passed away.  Both were older.  Both were reasonable careful, but knew there could be problems if they got it due to their age and other likely complications.  Still, they lived their lives rather than hiding in a hole in the ground.  They were both very godly men who knew where they were going if they passed, and as a result of that confidence, there were no regrets on their part, or from their wives or families about anything.  I can only wish that for all who may themselves or have family members have a serious run-in with this virus.

Now that is very fascinating. It makes one wonder about accepting Death and having regrets. How people with this belief of knowing where they're going in the afterlife, are accepting of their death and do not regret on their death bed. And this knowing extends to those that believe as well, such as the family. Compared to those that do not know what's going to happen to them when they die. And this perception of what happens after I die, can impact a persons decisions on life and death situations and how they accept or come to terms with the consequences for those life and death situations. And whether the dead persons loved ones will accept the death or not, as they may have some regrets for not being there more for that person that died, or regret for that person for some other personal reasons altogether.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2236 on: September 21, 2021, 05:59:35 PM »
Dublagent66, sorry to read that as well.  My gosh.  :( :(

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: September 22, 2021, 05:41:08 AM »

I don't disagree, but there's a continuum of "personal beliefs" that can be tolerated and those that can't be.  Like, if I find out my favorite chef likes growls in his death/doom metal, I'll still eat at his restaurant.  If I find out he is required to wear an ankle bracelet and isn't allowed within 500 yards of public schools or childcare centres... I might find a new favorite restaurant.

I mean, Stads and I are still planning a beer together sometime, so I mostly agree with what you say - but there are limits.  I guess when another's beliefs start entering a grounds that aren't congruent with my own morals/ethics/values, that's where the tipping point starts to give way.

But those examples aren't personal beliefs, Chad.  You don't get an ankle bracelet because "you believe age laws are silly".  You get it because you broke a law on the books. ACTION. You're just retconning the "belief" into it; there's a very real chance that guy never put an ounce of thought into rationalizing what he did and merely acted on urges.  Like you or I did when we walked up to our wives the first time and said "Hey, baby!".    You liking a certain music is a visceral physical response to an outside stimulus. 

If you start weighing the merits of someone else's PERSONAL BELIEFS - that is the very definition of "judgement" - that's exactly what Bosk is talking about. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: September 22, 2021, 05:44:15 AM »
There's a strong believe these day that my thought process means more than your thought process and I'm going to let you know that these days.  It's funny, I never once asked anyone their political leanings.  It was, did they treat others with respect?  They were a good person.  I enjoyed hanging out with them.  There's an inclusiveness these days that is not healthy as all.

I grew up thinking that you don't ask.  I never knew who ANYONE in my friend circle voted for up until pretty much the 2008 Obama election (For perspective, I was 41 when that election occurred).  I know I never told anyone for whom I voted (and still rarely do; my wife knows but most of my friends outside of here have no idea).  Now it's like a badge of courage and if you voted for the "wrong" person, you're a pariah.  Fuck that; my decision on who I vote for is complicated and CANNOT be reduced to that simplistic a level.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2239 on: September 22, 2021, 05:50:43 AM »

I (respectfully) disagree with you, but I also believe, more strongly, in personal autonomy.  YOU get to decide what's right for you, not me.  Having said that, I would hope that when you see OTHER people intentionally exploiting people's hesitancies (I'll use "fears" here) you voice the same objection.  Like when Kirsten Gillebrand says "Women will DIE if Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed!".  I'm not defending Tucker Carlson - he's a sensationalist that is also part of the problem - but it's not JUST him, it's not JUST vaccines, it's not JUST conservatives.  This is all part of the problem we're talking about here.