Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 195139 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2021, 07:27:56 AM »
I loved it, it felt normal again and so freeing.

Having said that, it's in the back of my mind.... did I get exposed? I'm not worried, just curious.

That's exactly how I felt, and it's all situational.  I'm comfortable being in my office or around a small amount of people that I know without a mask.  But when I'm in a big group or around strangers, I wonder if I've been exposed.  I'm not fearful, but I'm certainly aware.  My wife is more concerned about the kids, since they're too young to be vaccinated yet.

While we were in the south, I just assumed that a lot of people already had COVID and it didn't matter.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2021, 01:54:48 PM »
I'm getting mine on the 27th and the second on August 1st!

Yay! That was today!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2021, 12:29:50 PM »
That would be amazing  :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2021, 02:12:41 PM »
While that may be the case, if have an old work colleague who participated in the first Pfizer trials, and is now participating in a booster trial.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2021, 02:42:40 PM »
I've always kind of felt the vaccines should be good for quite awhile and maybe even a lifetime based on how it's designed to teach your body to fight off the spiked protein which so far hasn't changed from any of the mutations and likely why all the vaccines are still effective.

Having said that, I am reading more and more about how mixing the MRNa and Adenovirus vaccines may actually be the most effective way of being vaccinated.  Makes me consider the idea of getting a pfizer/moderna shot since I got J&J. But so far, the virus really just isn't an issue locally to have me concerned at all and I shouldn't be taking any shot that can go into someone who isn't vaccinated. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2021, 11:49:32 PM »
While that may be the case, if have an old work colleague who participated in the first Pfizer trials, and is now participating in a booster trial.
Of course, they'll need to trial boosters of all the vaccines to see what difference it makes.

If the mRNA ones really do provide lifetime or at least much longer lasting full protection, that would be amazing and would also make it worth how much more they cost than the other jabs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2021, 04:37:41 AM »
Cautiously optimistic.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »
Another 3 day lockdown here in Brisbane Aus starting today.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2021, 02:44:00 PM »

I read something that like Australian only purchased vaccines for like 4% of the population?  I guess because they've overall been pretty good with low infections, but it seems kind of ignorant to not want to vaccinate the country. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2021, 02:54:52 PM »

I read something that like Australian only purchased vaccines for like 4% of the population?  I guess because they've overall been pretty good with low infections, but it seems kind of ignorant to not want to vaccinate the country.

I haven't been following the news that much over here truthfully, mainly because we've had it so easier, but yeah, something like that.  Now though Sydney is in lock down and now us because it's this new Delta strain and now the government is panicking pushing to try and get more people vaccinated.  But I heard the vaccine doesn't work or something against this new strain?  Not sure but it's a mess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2021, 03:02:42 PM »

I haven't been following the news that much over here truthfully, mainly because we've had it so easier, but yeah, something like that.  Now though Sydney is in lock down and now us because it's this new Delta strain and now the government is panicking pushing to try and get more people vaccinated.  But I heard the vaccine doesn't work or something against this new strain?  Not sure but it's a mess.

Nah, as far as I know, all the vaccines (at least within the US, not sure what ones Australia has) are effective against all known varaints at this time. They may be slightly less effective, but so far the evidence seems they work well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2021, 03:20:30 PM »

They work, but the Delta strain can cause hospitalization and has even been the cause of a few deaths of fully vaccinated people here in Canada.  That strain is no joke, so panic is not a bad response.

But yeah, your gov't should get off their asses and get buying some vaccines.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2021, 03:49:27 PM »
Ah fair enough then.  Yeah, I think we were ahead of the pack and then a little bit of complacency may have crept in from the government.  The quick response and panick is real though.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: June 30, 2021, 06:57:38 AM »
Just got home from getting my 2nd vaccine shot. Feels good to be fully vaccinated now - well as full as you can be after two shots.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #226 on: July 01, 2021, 06:12:51 AM »
I got the appointment for my first shot in a week! The second shot is scheduled 12 weeks from now because of a delay with Pfizer, and it will be interesting to see if they shorten the wait again because we're getting more Moderna. I'm surprised my first dose wasn't scheduled as Moderna but as Pfizer tbh, I hope they do more Moderna for a while to bring the wait to a more acceptable interval. AFAIK we are the only country doing this with the mRNA vaccines, when I told people from all different countries about my dates everyone asked if I was getting Astra Zeneca.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: July 01, 2021, 09:11:23 AM »
I got the appointment for my first shot in a week! The second shot is scheduled 12 weeks from now because of a delay with Pfizer, and it will be interesting to see if they shorten the wait again because we're getting more Moderna. I'm surprised my first dose wasn't scheduled as Moderna but as Pfizer tbh, I hope they do more Moderna for a while to bring the wait to a more acceptable interval. AFAIK we are the only country doing this with the mRNA vaccines, when I told people from all different countries about my dates everyone asked if I was getting Astra Zeneca.

No, Canada had all vaccines spaced at 16 weeks once they got past the long-term care residents and staff.  Once supply stabilized and we got to about 65% with 1 dose, only then did they start shortening the interval. I ended up being 8 weeks in between (AZ + Pfizer).  Jingle.kids got bumped up to 5 weeks (Pfizer + Moderna)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: July 01, 2021, 09:36:15 AM »
Here's an example of the delta variants vs. vaccinated, from Sydney

https://www.yahoo.com/news/delta-variant-infected-almost-everyone-194317750.html

A birthday party in Australia has been called a "superspreader" event after 24 guests tested positive for the coronavirus.

The highly infectious Delta variant could have infected every guest at the party had there not been six fully vaccinated healthcare workers in attendance, New South Wales Health Minister Brad Hazzard said on Monday.

Hazzard told reporters that all 24 guests who tested positive were unvaccinated, demonstrating "just how important vaccinations are," per the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #229 on: July 01, 2021, 11:38:38 AM »

I don't know, most of the mainstream science people are saying the vaccines are highly effective against the delta variant.
https://www.uchealth.org/today/vaccines-work-well-against-covid-19-delta-variant/

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: July 01, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »
From what I've read, mRNA and Astrazeneca is nearly as effective after 2 doses, but 1 dose provides significantly less protection, which is what is driving the rise in cases in the UK atm.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01696-3
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline emtee

« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2021, 04:30:36 PM »
Our surgical director and one other staff member have tested positive. Things are better but we still have al ways to go.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #232 on: July 01, 2021, 11:31:59 PM »
From what I've read, mRNA and Astrazeneca is nearly as effective after 2 doses, but 1 dose provides significantly less protection, which is what is driving the rise in cases in the UK atm.

That is to say, significantly less protection against any form of symptomatic infection. But one dose is still highly effective at reducing the severity of infection.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: July 02, 2021, 05:22:19 AM »

That is to say, significantly less protection against any form of symptomatic infection. But one dose is still highly effective at reducing the severity of infection.

This.  Considering the gap of how many people in Canada have 1 dose and who are fully dosed (75% of 12-and-older have 1 dose; 53% are double dosed), and how the case counts have plummeted over the past 2 months (approx 90% reduction in daily case counts), 1 dose does have a meaningful impact.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2021, 05:29:58 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that one dose of the Moderna or Pfizer is just slightly less effective than the current flu shots we get.   The second dose propels it to significantly higher effective rate.   I mean, to some extent we're spoiled with this idea that everything has to be perfect.   I get it, we live in an age of medical marvels and we should take advantage of that; but never at the expense of forgetting that we're here by the grace of god/random chance/dumb luck/fate/whatever you believe in.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2021, 09:19:37 AM »
AFAIK we are the only country doing this with the mRNA vaccines, when I told people from all different countries about my dates everyone asked if I was getting Astra Zeneca.

Finland is also doing the 12 week interval thing to ensure a good coverage of people with one dose. My parents had AZ for their first dose and will be getting Pfizer or Moderna for their second on Monday. I will most likely have Pfizer for both doses.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #236 on: July 03, 2021, 12:48:42 AM »
Recent data showed that of the almost 20 million Californians vaccinated, only 7550 have had breakthrough infections, for a .039% infection rate. Dayum.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #237 on: July 07, 2021, 11:18:52 AM »
It's become much worse in Missouri. Springfield's hospitals are nearly full and they have run out of ventilators and they have had to redirect patients out of State.

The delta variant is infecting mainly the unvaccinated but it's also jumping the Phizer vaccine (No word on Moderna) but vaccinated people aren't getting as sick as they possibly could be. Also, we have a pretty significant outbreak in our assisted living facilities.

Oh - and the Governor has approved of a Federal task force to come in and evaluate things (whatever that means).

Right now, it's the unvaccinated that pose the greatest threat to our way of life.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #238 on: July 07, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »
Why spend the money on a task force, I can do that job.

My report-get fucking vaccinated.

Over 99% of current covid death are unvaccinated. I mean, CA the stats get any more blatant?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: July 07, 2021, 11:56:33 AM »
The delta variant is infecting mainly the unvaccinated but it's also jumping the Phizer vaccine (No word on Moderna) but vaccinated people aren't getting as sick as they possibly could be. Also, we have a pretty significant outbreak in our assisted living facilities.

Israel is showing data that the pfizer is less effective against infection of the delta variant but still highly effective (over 90%) for server infection or death.  So, it's still basically really good at keeping people alive. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2021, 02:04:35 PM »
While the Delta variant may be the prevalent variant right now.....I think it says something when their reporting the percentage of cases are delta......and aren't reporting the actual number of cases. I haven't bothered to really look into it but I suspect that is because it's more frightening to say that 80% of the recent reported cases are the delta variant rather than report the actual number of cases because the cases are low.

Yes, Springfield's ICU's filled up but that also has to do with the fact that the majority of the hospitals have returned to normal operations.....and in normal operations there aren't a lot of ICU rooms.

Listen....I'm not dismissing any of this.....only maintaining that if there is ANY opportunity for the media to pimp fear and milk this covid deal to the last drop they will. At this point, the people who are going to get the vaccine have and those who aren't haven't. If you get covid and are unvaccinated then it's kind of your own fault and it shouldn't be news.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2021, 04:34:05 PM »
Fair points Gary, but two things are still an issue (in my mind).

1 - The vaccinated people that still catch it (whether mildly, or severely), we don't know if those individuals might potentially suffer from 'long haul' effects.  Only time will tell.
2 - You can't convince me that there won't be a "US variant" at some point in the future.  With many southern states as low as the low 30% of fully vaccinated people, I firmly believe it's a matter if when, not if it will mutate in the US.

The Delta variant is something to be 'concerned' about - not nearly to the extent the world was/should've been with the original strain at the start of the pandemic, but it is still something that is going to cause a lot of sickness and death still.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2021, 04:50:23 PM »
Fair points Gary, but two things are still an issue (in my mind).

1 - The vaccinated people that still catch it (whether mildly, or severely), we don't know if those individuals might potentially suffer from 'long haul' effects.  Only time will tell.
2 - You can't convince me that there won't be a "US variant" at some point in the future.  With many southern states as low as the low 30% of fully vaccinated people, I firmly believe it's a matter if when, not if it will mutate in the US.

The Delta variant is something to be 'concerned' about - not nearly to the extent the world was/should've been with the original strain at the start of the pandemic, but it is still something that is going to cause a lot of sickness and death still.

I think there's over 4000 covid variants.  I'm sure many of those are from the US.  It's just a matter if the variant mutates in a way to make it more dangerous.  I have still not seen any data to say any variant is more "deadly" than the other.  There's lots of data to show ones like Delta are more contagious though and because of that, they become dominant.  A US version could become dominant at some point, but a bit less likely due to the overall high vaccination rate.  I read something today that even breakthrough cases of infections, those people aren't likely to create a variant because generally the viral load is too low, similar to how vaccinated people aren't likely to spread covid. 

The only concern to me, are the people who don't get vaccinated because of bogus reasons, not the variants themselves.  The reason this will drag on and more and more people will die is because of people choosing not to vaccinate and the people who can't get vaccinated (whether due to age, health issues, or no access to a vaccine... all legit reasons that the bogus people can very much help with)

Having said that, NJ has reported no deaths today.  Hospitalizations are at all time lows since this started.  Yes, there are still infections happening, but very small amounts.  NJ is ranked around 7/8 in states for vaccinations.  "the proof is in the pudding" as I've said time and time again with these vaccines.  They work, the data shows this.  The side effect risks are very much worth it.  I know this all falls on deaf ears to the anti vaxx people, but I can't help myself from expressing this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2021, 05:46:43 PM »
It feels kind of weird to me that the actual numbers of those fully (or even partially vaccinated) are as low as they still are.  But whatever.  :dunno: 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2021, 06:21:03 PM »
got pfizer dose #2 today. I know there's two weeks before it kicks in fully but it feels good to be here, finally