Author Topic: Coping with mental health conditions (either yours or others)  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Coping with mental health conditions (either yours or others)
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2022, 07:12:31 PM »
Alrighty, so here goes a new one.

Anybody ever have to deal with anyone with Borderline personality disorder, aka BPD?

I don't think I know anyone personally, but after reading the symptoms I'm really starting to think I might have it  :blush   and all I can say is that I really feel bad for anyone that has had to put up with it or is rubbed the wrong way by it. I honest to god didn't even realize anything was out of the ordinary until like my late 20's and am now starting to zero in on these issues for what they actually are.

And despite being aware of it, it can be very difficult to keep under control unfortunately. But one day at a time I guess.

Someone I've written about extensively here I believe has it.  The book "Walking On Eggshells" was an eye-opener, to say the least.

I'm... this is difficult to say, but I almost wonder if you don't have it because of your insight into having it, if that makes sense.  The person I know acknowledged - briefly - certain feelings of "being scared", but was also just as likely to say "there's nothing wrong with me, asshole, fix yourself".  It can be difficult, and it was a key part of that person not being a meaningful part of my life now (though, from all appearances, she's a LOT better than she was, and I give her credit for that). If you do have it, and you do acknowledge it, get help; it's some that can be improved with time, but it is, like you said, one day at a time.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2022, 07:21:07 AM »
Alrighty, so here goes a new one.

Anybody ever have to deal with anyone with Borderline personality disorder, aka BPD?

I don't think I know anyone personally, but after reading the symptoms I'm really starting to think I might have it  :blush   and all I can say is that I really feel bad for anyone that has had to put up with it or is rubbed the wrong way by it. I honest to god didn't even realize anything was out of the ordinary until like my late 20's and am now starting to zero in on these issues for what they actually are.

And despite being aware of it, it can be very difficult to keep under control unfortunately. But one day at a time I guess. 

I'm convinced that mrs.jingle suffers from this.  No professional diagnosis, but she (not as much nowadays) exhibits many of the traits (fear of abandonment, volatile mood swings, unstable relationships, lack of anger control), and some of the others to a very small/lesser degree.  Thankfully, no impulsiveness or suicidal thoughts.  The book I tackled years ago was called When Hope Is Not Enough (WHINE, lol).

It is admirable to acknowledge / admit it.  Not something mrs.jingle has ever recognized, despite acknowledging some of the individual symptoms.  It's baffling (to me), because she gets hung up on the word "disorder" the couple of times BPD came up in discussions, but fully acknowledges/understands/accepts that she has S.A.D.  :lolpalm:

As GI Joe taught us all, knowing is half the battle.  Hope the best for you.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:36:54 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2023, 10:10:45 AM »
Just curious about long term use of SSRIs, SNRIs, or any other anti depressant

so basically, prozac, Wellbutrin, lexipro, cymbalta, effexor, zoloft and so forth (or their generic counterpart)

If anyone has used them or is currently using them, are you satisfied?

and If you are using them long term, are you still feeling satisfied or do you think they aren't working as well as they once did. And for those that tried them and stopped, what didn't you like?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2023, 08:49:18 PM »
I took Paxil for the better part of a decade while in my 20s. I definitely believe I benefited from it in tangible ways. I thought I would take them for the rest of my life, I couldn't imagine not being on those meds, but there were various changes in my life, mostly good, some bad, that resulted in me stopping. My life and my tools to deal with it are much better than they were, so I don't even think about it these days. I have pursued seeing a counselor to work through some other issues, but have not made any traction on that front. That is honestly what I should have been doing all that time while on the meds.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'