Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 194348 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Coronavirus Thread v.2
« on: May 28, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 06:56:22 AM by ariich »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 01:17:53 PM »
Finally getting a vaccine next month, first shot scheduled in the middle of June.

I won't show up in this thread again though, the discussion is a bit too much for me honestly.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 01:25:37 PM »
We're still doing this coronavirus thing then?

:(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 01:33:44 PM »
It’s just the flu

/sarcasm
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 01:41:20 PM »
The old thread wasn't that long... Shit it was only #5 on the list.

Still, it will always be remembered for having the best opening response ever... Nice work Bill

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 02:20:18 PM »
Did the last thread finally got its vaccination?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 02:38:17 PM »
I lived through the pandemic apocalypse and all I got was a lousy mask...

And the sniffles.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 08:27:45 PM »
Still, it will always be remembered for having the best opening response ever... Nice work Bill

Those first could pages are a fascinating time capsule. I've read through them a couple times these past 12+ months.

Second shot today at a county mass vaccination site. Still impressed by how the processed was managed. Hats off to that crew.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 11:15:19 PM »

Those first could pages are a fascinating time capsule. I've read through them a couple times these past 12+ months.

Second shot today at a county mass vaccination site. Still impressed by how the processed was managed. Hats off to that crew.

There's a brilliant transition right around pg 3 or 4 where everyone is realizing that 'holy shit...we might be in deep trouble'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 03:43:32 AM »
I got my first shot yesterday. My Wi-Fi has been acting up all day today. Hmmm...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 05:05:51 AM »

Definitively. None of us was prepared for it, I was one of those who took it immediately seriously, and yet I was thinking it was a short time problem. I was thinking that spring 2020's lockdown was the equivalent of staying in a refuge while the hurricane is passing, and once it passed, the sky would be clear. I remember someone planning a trip to Italy and discussing it with me, and I was saying stuff like "well, spring is gone, I believe that by July it will all be over and you can travel freely".

Boy I was wrong.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 06:20:14 AM »
I didn't verbalize it to anyone around me at the time as I didn't want to come off as Mr. Pessimist, but I remember last March a few friends and family members saying stuff along the lines of, "I hope this is over in a few weeks," or something to that effect, and I just remember thinking, "No way will this be over that quickly. The country doesn't shut down for something that will go away quickly."  Sadly, I was right.  To be at the point we are now is a great feeling, though, and I pray the worst really is over and we do not see relapse with the virus here soon.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 06:53:46 AM »
I got the second shot today and I'm looking forward to start seeing friends again after fifteen months.  ;D

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 07:00:16 AM »
I too didn't take it seriously at the start. I figured it'd be similar to the SARS pandemic years ago but not on the scale that it turned out to be.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 07:40:03 AM »
I too didn't take it seriously at the start. I figured it'd be similar to the SARS pandemic years ago but not on the scale that it turned out to be.

Me too, and I think that was one of my first initial posts on the matter.  Someone shared with me a site that talked about the math of virus and epidemiology, and that was my holy-fuck / aha (not in a good way) moment.  That was the first Thursday in March - I remember because it was on a team call that I got that website.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 07:41:49 AM »

That's where I was as well. It wasn't till Italy went down for the count and I started getting really frightening reports from an old flame who lives in Milan that I got really scared and really serious about it.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 08:09:25 AM »
I didn't verbalize it to anyone around me at the time as I didn't want to come off as Mr. Pessimist, but I remember last March a few friends and family members saying stuff along the lines of, "I hope this is over in a few weeks," or something to that effect, and I just remember thinking, "No way will this be over that quickly. The country doesn't shut down for something that will go away quickly."  Sadly, I was right.  To be at the point we are now is a great feeling, though, and I pray the worst really is over and we do not see relapse with the virus here soon.

I'm with ya on this. I was the same way. I saw a Joe Rogan podcast with Michael Olsterholm and knew we were in for a shit-storm. It isn't as much about pessimism as much as it is about realism. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 08:40:41 AM »

There's a brilliant transition right around pg 3 or 4 where everyone is realizing that 'holy shit...we might be in deep trouble'

It's fascinating to watch that in hindsight, isn't it?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 08:48:05 AM »

It's fascinating to watch that in hindsight, isn't it?

Yup, akin to reflecting on one's youth and thinking "awwww, we were so cute and naive back then"  :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »
My kid got his first shot yesterday, he’ll be last in my immediate family to be fully vaccinated. It’s a different feeling having your kid get it then getting it yourself.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »
Getting my first shot next Tuesday, after my parents got one last week, grandparents got both already. I'm relieved but also kinda scared. I don't believe in any conspiracy theory but my FB has been full of it lately and I can't help but read comments, like someone trying to poison us with it, people are dying from blood cloths etc. Just came here for some light comments as I see most of you are happy and well with it :hug: I hope we all see the end of it soon
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2021, 03:29:25 AM »
Getting my first shot next Tuesday, after my parents got one last week, grandparents got both already. I'm relieved but also kinda scared. I don't believe in any conspiracy theory but my FB has been full of it lately and I can't help but read comments, like someone trying to poison us with it, people are dying from blood cloths etc. Just came here for some light comments as I see most of you are happy and well with it :hug: I hope we all see the end of it soon

"They're poisoning us with it" is so lame and stupid that doesn't even need a comment, not everything is a global conspiracy FFS, and even if it was, it certainly wouldn't be discovered by your Aunt Karen on Facebook.

Blood cloths... shit can happen once in a million or even less. Every medication you take has potential damages. I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but in Italy with every medicine you buy there's a small paper with tiny writing describing everything, from way to take to medicine, to possible collateral damages, if you have those too, go and read them, even the aspirine is a potential threat. Everything is a potential threat, included planes flying over your house and then crashing, from soneone running you over with the car while you're going to take the vaccine. The benefits of the vaccines, in the entire history of vaccines, have always greatly outweighed the possible risks, risks that are potentially present in the common aspirin as well.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 06:45:55 AM »
Yup... Blood clot rate from the vaccine is about 1/200,000. Rate from dying of covid in the USA is about 1/500.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2021, 10:18:49 AM »
I'm on blood thinners the rest of my life. I got 2 shots. I'm ok.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2021, 03:28:29 PM »
NJ lifted the mask mandate on Friday, I went to the grocery store and a wawa, both had signs up saying to still wear a mask so I did.  Sunday I went on a date to an arcade and dinner, nieither had people with masks on so we took ours off as well.  It was soooo nice to have a normal day in public without wearing a mask.  Went back out today with out it, even to another grocery store.  Feels good.

And all of what I wrote above is only posible because of the vaccines.  So you definitely should not feel worried and be happy to have it available to you so everyone can get back to "normal" sooner than later.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2021, 04:24:34 PM »
I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but in Italy with every medicine you buy there's a small paper with tiny writing describing everything, from way to take to medicine, to possible collateral damages, if you have those too, go and read them, even the aspirine is a potential threat.

Never seen an American TV commercial for prescription drugs, huh?  Half of every commercial is spent rhyming off the possible side effects and dangers. Even in a 1 minute commercial.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2021, 04:26:55 PM »

Never seen an American TV commercial for prescription drugs, huh?  Half of every commercial is spent rhyming off the possible side effects and dangers. Even in a 1 minute commercial.

Sometimes you think, yeah, I'll just take my chances with the disease.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2021, 06:02:17 PM »

Reminded me of this

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2021, 06:14:39 PM »

Ever since drug commercials started drug costs went through the roof. 

That's because those dumb commercials cost crazy money. Big business again for something that shouldn't be big business. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2021, 07:24:30 AM »
Attended a wedding over the weekend.

Everyone was vaccinated, so no masks.  Big fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2021, 07:32:37 AM »

Everyone was claims they were vaccinated, so no masks.  Big fun.

Fix'd :neverusethis:

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »

Everyone was claims they were vaccinated, so no masks.  Big fun.

Fix'd :neverusethis:
Close enough for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2021, 11:16:04 AM »

That's because those dumb commercials cost crazy money. Big business again for something that shouldn't be big business.

Arguably one of the three greatest marketing coups of all time (from a marketing standpoint): getting patients - who are not a front-line customer of most pharmaceutical companies - to lobby their doctors to get certain drugs.  Sheer brilliance.  Built in, invested sales persons who won't take no for an answer, and complicit doctors who now have to consider losing a patient base because they are not informed or willing to prescribe the latest and greatest. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2021, 11:18:55 AM »
Are people experiencing others who are lying about receiving the vaccine?   I'm not sure how we would really know; I know for me, far more have gotten the vaccine than are saying "I'm going to wait", but I haven't been checking cards (I do carry mine with me).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2021, 12:00:18 PM »

Arguably one of the three greatest marketing coups of all time (from a marketing standpoint): getting patients - who are not a front-line customer of most pharmaceutical companies - to lobby their doctors to get certain drugs.  Sheer brilliance.  Built in, invested sales persons who won't take no for an answer, and complicit doctors who now have to consider losing a patient base because they are not informed or willing to prescribe the latest and greatest.

Add to that doctors promoting these drugs instead of a generic drug that can do the same for a lesser cost.  You have to ask or you won't get that info from a doctor.  That irks me as well.  LOL