Author Topic: Another crazy gig  (Read 763 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Another crazy gig
« on: June 20, 2021, 09:22:36 PM »
Regular readers know that I play in the church band, which basically consists of whoever we can get who can play an instrument, and I have to somehow make it all work.  This often includes people who don't read music, but who can play from chord charts or plunk root notes on a bass if I write them down.  Our organist has been home in Korea since before the lockdown.  She was visiting when things went crazy, and then it became very difficult for her to get back, so the ensemble has been providing the music for all the services for the past year or so.  The foundation of our little group is me on the piano and Michael G on violin.  Michael can play a strong melody, and can fake a decent countermelody.  By time we add the occassional Steve on guitar and/or Michael P on bass, we've got something that sounds pretty good.  Our choir director Shirley sings to lead the hymns, and strums her autoharp when she can manage to do both at the same time.

Mijin came back a week and half ago (yay!) so she played the piano last week, and I sat out.  No problem; this is her gig.  But now that she's back, there are more possibilities.  This week I brought my Melodica, so I'd have something to play.

No guitar this week, but I figured with violin, bass, and piano and we had melody, bass, and chords covered, so whatever else I added would be gravy.  Then came the unexpected.  We could not get the piano to power up.  It worked fine last week; this week it is DOA.

So we did the service with me on "keyboards", bass, electric violin, and autoharp.  I very eclectic group indeed.  Also, we had a guest pastor today, and he was... suprised, amazed, confused, impressed?  Take your pick.  Four musicians including two playing instruments he's never seen before.  But it sounded pretty cool.

Every gig is unique.  Every gig is an adventure.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Another crazy gig
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 07:04:19 AM »
I know some people find that frustrating, but for me, that's what makes music fun.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Another crazy gig
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 08:09:16 AM »
Agreed.  While the others were trying to get the piano to work, I was already figuring out how things would work if we didn't have the piano.  I would have to provide chords on the Melodica.  We had the bass covered, and we had the violin for a lead line.  Suddenly, part of me was almost hoping they didn't get the piano working, because I realized that the bizarre ensemble that remained could actually work.

It was certainly one of the strangest gigs I've ever played, and it was awesome.  We had all the parts covered.  You make it work.