Poll

Would you have any regrets?

Yes
23 (67.6%)
No
11 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: If you died tomorrow, would you have any regrets?  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
If you died tomorrow, would you have any regrets?
« on: May 15, 2021, 07:45:36 PM »
If you died tomorrow, would you have any regrets? And If so what are they? 

My only regret would be not being able to be a father yet, besides that I am really happy with how my life has played out.

How about you guys?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: If you died tomorrow, would you have any regrets?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 07:58:01 PM »
Nope.

There are many things I still plan to do but I do not regret not having done them yet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 08:08:04 PM »
If I died tomorrow, I'd regret I didn't live longer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 08:08:43 PM »
I'd be alright because I believe.....

Let's just get it out of the way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 09:05:26 PM »
If I went down that path, my list of regrets would be longer than the number of bands Mike Portnoy's been part of. But I don't want to live with that mindset. It can lead me to an unhappy place.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 10:10:04 PM »
I do have regrets in my life right now that I wish I had done. And, as I grow more older, I will have more regrets. To me, regret is what occurs when you begin to reflect and ponder about you and your life, and whether you feel you have lived a fulfilling life. It's hard for me to regret things I have yet to experience, or experiences I haven't been able to see as I don't have the opportunities, but for me, that is just how life is, you can't always do and see everything.

If I were to have died tomorrow, I guess my one regret would be that I didn't come out sooner than when I did. But I know, this was no fault of my own, and is what it is, and I have learned how to deal with it and to continue forward with the acceptance I gained for myself.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 10:38:11 PM »
Nah. I am what I am. Just as the Gods made me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 03:12:14 AM »
If I died tomorrow - I *Genuinely* think more people would be relieved than upset.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 04:33:05 AM »
No, I would be dead, I wouldn't have any regrets or feelings or even knowledge that I'm dead.

:P

If I knew however that I would die tomorrow, I would be sad about:

- Not having travelled as much as I wanted (I can't die before seeing the northern lights)
- Dying so young generally
- Leaivng my still living parents behind
- Dying without seeing the end of the pandemic and the return to concerts
- All the concerts to come
- All the other personal relationships I could have had
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 05:04:24 AM »
If I died tomorrow - I *Genuinely* think more people would be relieved than upset.

That's a strong statement, but I can see where you are coming from, even though I think 'relieved' is probably not the right word.

The last couple of years and as I get older, my attitude has slipped into a mentality of 'what's the point of doing anything, achieving anything or giving a fuck when you could die tomorrow and it's all for nothing.'  It's morbid as fuck and hard to shake.

So basically, I don't think I'd have any regrets.  I'm living well, stress free (except for superficial stress like work), no health complications and done what I wanted.  I can't complain.  We are all in control of our actions, so I'm not going to regret things when I could have physically done them and chosen not to.  That's probably stating the obvious on the meaning of the word 'regret,' but most regrets I feel are things that could have been done, just chosen not to, or at least tried and done everything possible to make them a reality.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 05:41:09 AM »
20 years ago the answer would have been an unqualified "yes" and the list of regrets would be quite long.  Now, I think the biggest regret would be that I still had more to give to the world.  I spent the first half of my life being a taker.  In the last 20 years I've tried to do more giving than taking.  I'm not always as successful at it as I'd like, but I suppose it's the effort that counts most.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 06:16:42 AM »
20 years ago the answer would have been an unqualified "yes" and the list of regrets would be quite long.  Now, I think the biggest regret would be that I still had more to give to the world.  I spent the first half of my life being a taker.  In the last 20 years I've tried to do more giving than taking.  I'm not always as successful at it as I'd like, but I suppose it's the effort that counts most.

I would imagine that life experience and age would be a natural part of that, no?  We grow and mature as we age and realise perspective, honesty, graciousness all that good stuff.  I'm still only young so tell me to zip it, but I too felt like as a age, I can see that exact thing you speak of.  Don't think I would have ever seen that at 20 though.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 06:25:50 AM »
It's amazing how much my perspective has changed as I approach 60 years old.  So yes, life experience definitely changes us.  Sounds like you are already aware of that  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 06:28:45 AM »
It's amazing how much my perspective has changed as I approach 60 years old.  So yes, life experience definitely changes us.  Sounds like you are already aware of that  :)

I think I'm currently going through that sort of thinking mate.  Turning 37 in a couple of weeks and perspective shift over the last 12 months is massive.  I guess that would be common with how the world has been over the last year.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 07:23:10 AM »
No, I would be dead, I wouldn't have any regrets or feelings or even knowledge that I'm dead.

^^^^^
This.

None of us would know we're dead so regret would be difficult.  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 08:30:09 AM »
I'd love to hang around as a ghost for about a week to see what hilarious nonsense people said about me at my funeral etc...

:lol wow so you DID all like me ! Perhaps if you'd actually told me more often I wouldn't have jumped off that skyscraper !

;D

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »
I'm not sure honestly. There are things I definitely would've done differently but I've had a good life so far. I ultimately went with yes though.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 09:12:39 AM »

Can you (try to) explain why you feel this way, because I find messages like this troubling in a sense?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 10:55:31 AM »
Karen Elliott from junior hs.

But seriously, I would say no.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 12:25:12 PM »

I think I'm currently going through that sort of thinking mate.  Turning 37 in a couple of weeks and perspective shift over the last 12 months is massive.  I guess that would be common with how the world has been over the last year.

I see the same thing too.

How what the world went through caused people to reflect upon where they are at in their life, and whether they regret certain choices they made in their life?

What made me realize for myself, was how bad of an alcoholic I was, and the pandemic actually helped me with dealing with it, as I a social drinker, and things were closed so I had no where to enjoy my drinking, this helped me quit easier, because I would rather be out than at home drinking, when I did drink at home I tended to want to go somewhere, but I didn't because I had no car.

So it's interesting to see how many people actually changed their life perspective and started bettering their lives to be where they feel and know they should be at in this moment in life. So there will be no regrets as you grow older, or end up dying the next day.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 01:42:26 PM »
No regrets about the road I’m currently on. But SO MANY regrets about the stupid decisions from my past, and how long it took me to get to that “OMG I’M THE MONSTER!” revelation that led to me getting myself straightened out.

Now there’s just a mixture of relief that I’m on a much more positive path, and guilt from all the damage done that you can’t take back.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 01:46:57 PM »

We talked about it before, but turning 36 really affected me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 02:19:53 PM »
After I had kids the answer tilted to "No". Because I feel like the major work is done and anything else is just an enhancement. But ask me again when they are out of the house I guess.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2021, 03:15:55 PM »

We talked about it before, but turning 36 really affected me.

Indeed mate, kind of weird in a sense haha.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2021, 03:16:37 PM »

Can you (try to) explain why you feel this way, because I find messages like this troubling in a sense?

I still think he used the wrong choice of word.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2021, 03:51:46 PM »
Relieved as in - I genuinely think nobody outside of family - cares about me - and everyone I know merely puts up with me.

If my manager turned up to work one day and said " David has crashed his motorbike and we won't be seeing him again "

I'm convinced they'd all be like " ok. "

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2021, 04:35:08 PM »
Relieved as in - I genuinely think nobody outside of family - cares about me - and everyone I know merely puts up with me.

If my manager turned up to work one day and said " David has crashed his motorbike and we won't be seeing him again "

I'm convinced they'd all be like " ok. "

Relieved is definitely the wrong term to the kind of thing you are saying.  That's harsh and a bit silly.

I don't think that's all that uncommon the reactions you speak of though. I'm sure they would have more of a reaction than that but life does go on.  People would be sad but they would grieve and quickly move on, especially workmates which aren't 'friends'.

The thing is though, would you really give a shit if your manager had that reaction?

I'm one where I wouldn't expect people to carry on though or really give a shit though honestly.  I never have parties and shit like that and revolve things a round myself so a small funeral with my family and misses is more than I would ask for. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2021, 04:48:43 PM »
Do you want a list?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »
No.  Even with the various mistakes I have made, I am blessed beyond measure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
It's a mixed bag.  My life is pretty good, but...there are things that I regret.  As most of the prior responses have noted, however, some of those decisions brought me to where I am today, and what's done is done, so it's not like I lose sleep over these things.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 12:17:28 PM »
I'm one of those who's life views are in the process of changing pretty significantly.  A big part of that is letting things go.

I'm not sure I have "regrets" in the sense of death-bed confessions, or things I'd have to "rectify" if I was given a finite time to live.  Of course I have moments where I was at a cross-roads and I wonder what would have happened.   Of course I have moments that in the cold light of hindsight I could have perhaps handled better.    But I'm also a "it's not the mistake, it's how you respond" kind of guy, so it's all a part of the tapestry that is Stadler.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2021, 12:44:17 PM »
It might be interesting to have a "lynchpin" decisions thread.  Decisions that genuinely changed your life.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2021, 01:43:48 PM »
It might be interesting to have a "lynchpin" decisions thread.  Decisions that genuinely changed your life.

I've got three:

Choosing my law schools;
Breaking up with my then-quasi-fiance in '96-ish;
Leaving GE (the first time) in 2003.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2021, 02:52:14 PM »
I live in constant regret, so I guess my answer is yes. Most of it has to do with how I am wired. I've mentioned this before, but having learned about my son's autism has made me realize I am probably someone in that boat as well. My complete inability to interact with people in person has always held me back. I see someone I know and my first instinct is to immediately change directions and get away from said person so they don't see me and I won't have to talk to them. The fact that I do this with people I genuinely like is even more baffling to me.

I fully admit that I am a ball of untapped potential and it mostly has to do with the fact that I cannot focus in a learning environment. I know I could be way more than I am and be making way more money than I am and giving my family a better life than they have. Not that it's bad, but it could be so much more.

My doctor had to put me on meds for OCD which has helped me a bit. I used to focus only on the bad and could never enjoy anything. If anything, that makes the regret worse because it made me take more in.

Yikes, that was depressing.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2021, 03:15:34 PM »
 The one regret was not being able to have children with my loving wife.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC