Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 33083 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs
« Reply #245 on: August 17, 2022, 11:15:54 AM »
I'm glad he decided to do the final 2 songs together.

Really enjoyed those final two installments of the 12 SS.  :tup
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:23:40 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #246 on: September 17, 2022, 01:42:07 AM »
You’ve probably have seen it already, but the Doug reacted on Sacrified Sons, the Score-edition. I enjoyed his reaction much, ‘cause it’s a really musical one.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2022, 09:48:43 AM »
I liked how he had the piano out with him.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #248 on: September 21, 2022, 11:38:35 AM »
Can I assume that most of it is him napping through Repentance?  Probably his first DT video that I won't watch.

Without spoiling too much, he absolutely loved it, and claims it's one of his favorite DT songs he's heard so far.

Definitely NOT the reaction I expected so it was exciting to see him be excited about the song!

I wasn't surprised by his reaction. look, it's one of my least favorite DT songs, but I think it's cool as hell, and I totally respect what they were going for. It's just not something I personally want to listen through if I don't have to.

That sums up my feelings toward that song perfectly.  But Doug's video was still enjoyable.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2022, 02:43:40 PM »
You’ve probably have seen it already, but the Doug reacted on Sacrified Sons, the Score-edition. I enjoyed his reaction much, ‘cause it’s a really musical one.

Yeah, this was another really good one.  Especially how he commemorated the 911 attacks.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #250 on: April 02, 2023, 01:30:42 PM »
Bumping this thread because Doug will be doing the first half of Images and Words tomorrow on the channel. Should be a 4:30pm Eastern premiere.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #251 on: April 02, 2023, 03:27:22 PM »
Bumping this thread because Doug will be doing the first half of Images and Words tomorrow on the channel. Should be a 4:30pm Eastern premiere.

I'll watch it (although not live), but he's like 85-90% talking about lyrics nowadays.  Almost no analysis of the music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2023, 04:40:04 PM »

I'll watch it (although not live), but he's like 85-90% talking about lyrics nowadays.  Almost no analysis of the music.

Just listened.  It was pretty good.  I was about 20 minutes behind, but I jumped into the chat and suggested he take a look at some Fates Warning.  He responded and said they're looking at doing some FW.  Someone else mentioned that the subject had come up on his Patron thing.

Also, this reminded me how much I love the production on I&W.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #253 on: April 04, 2023, 09:39:02 AM »
Haven't seen much of Doug lately but will have to check that out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #254 on: April 04, 2023, 12:56:34 PM »

He didn't talk about the lyrics any more than the music this time around, so if you're worried about that, I'd say he did a pretty good job of balancing what he was listening to/for.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #255 on: April 04, 2023, 02:43:16 PM »
I think he tends to talk music more with the complicated arrangements.  You know, the kind of stuff that challenges him.  DT's stuff tends to do that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2023, 03:41:03 PM »

He didn't talk about the lyrics any more than the music this time around, so if you're worried about that, I'd say he did a pretty good job of balancing what he was listening to/for.

-Marc.

Agreed.  I haven't followed a lot of his channel for awhile because the music analysis, which is what he is good at, had tailed off.  But I saw this and thought he did a pretty good job. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #257 on: April 06, 2023, 11:08:11 AM »
Surely gonna check this one out soon enough. The Doug more than often gave me so much to chew on with Dream Theater tracks. And although it's not always as the same quality as with the Octavarium reaction, it's always worth watching, for me. Some of them I've seen a couple of times already (Count, Illumination Theory, Glass Prison).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #258 on: April 06, 2023, 12:21:54 PM »
Just finished watching this.  Very nice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #259 on: April 07, 2023, 09:45:08 AM »
I'll be checking that out with a well adjusted attitude later on tonight.  :biggrin: :hat:corn

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #260 on: April 10, 2023, 06:10:08 AM »
Was indeed a very nice reaction video. Makes me more aware of how complex Another Day really is. And of course, Surrouned stands out as one of their all times best ballads.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: April 27, 2023, 06:31:53 AM »
He did Lines in the Sand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acf8N_-5O-4

For some reason I thought he had done it before.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #262 on: April 27, 2023, 08:07:22 AM »
Still waiting for him to do the 2nd half of Images, especially Learning to Live.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #263 on: April 27, 2023, 09:23:37 AM »
He said in the chat when the first half of I&W was premiering that the second half would probably be sometime in May (and note that he's already done Met1).

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #264 on: April 27, 2023, 09:24:06 AM »
Still waiting for him to do the 2nd half of Images, especially Learning to Live.

That's coming in I think early to mid May. Maybe with the Score version of Metropolis since he already did the studio version alongside SFAM.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #265 on: April 27, 2023, 10:09:08 AM »

I like Doug. Seems like a cool dude and super smart, but I watched a good amount of this and got bored. He pointed out that part of it was in D, said the lyrics had Christian imagery, and pointed out how much he dug it. Not much there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #266 on: April 27, 2023, 01:14:42 PM »

I like Doug. Seems like a cool dude and super smart, but I watched a good amount of this and got bored. He pointed out that part of it was in D, said the lyrics had Christian imagery, and pointed out how much he dug it. Not much there.

I agree.  He's deviated a great deal from musical analysis.  It wasn't really applicable with LITS, but with some of the more complex stuff, I think it would be beneficial for him to pause the recordings now and then.  He misses a lot because there are things you just can't pick up with an uninterrupted listen through.  He's done a few Genesis songs with an accompanying keyboard score, and those are fascinating.

Online Adami

« Reply #267 on: April 27, 2023, 01:16:59 PM »

I agree.  He's deviated a great deal from musical analysis.  It wasn't really applicable with LITS, but with some of the more complex stuff, I think it would be beneficial for him to pause the recordings now and then.  He misses a lot because there are things you just can't pick up with an uninterrupted listen through.  He's done a few Genesis songs with an accompanying keyboard score, and those are fascinating.

Yea, just not sure how pointing out the time signature or root note is analysis.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #268 on: April 27, 2023, 01:17:55 PM »
The novelty has long worn off for me. Now he just mugs at the camera while the song is playing. It's really not all that entertaining.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #269 on: April 27, 2023, 01:53:39 PM »
The first vid or two of his I watched I really enjoyed because he was talking about the music most of the time. I'm not a musician at all really, but I still found it entertaining and interesting, especially the way he approached it from a classical standpoint.

Just sitting there and reading off lyrics as the song plays does nothing for me.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: April 27, 2023, 11:07:14 PM »

Please tell me he will actually say he "dug" a tune.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2023, 04:24:11 AM »

I feel like it's a missed opportunity if he doesn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2023, 09:16:21 AM »

It might have been particularly appropriate with LITS.  However, his research done before listening apparently didn't include the horrid guest vocal because he didn't know who was doing it (he speculated it might have been DS).

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #273 on: April 29, 2023, 08:44:46 AM »
Thing is, after a certain point there isn't much to 'react' to in live time. If he wants to pick the song apart and explain to viewers what's happening harmonically that's a different type of content, but these reaction videos are just supposed to make us feel warm and fuzzy. Once in a while he'll point out the intervals that go by, but that's not why we watch.

Most of us cannot talk to wives or friends about DT because they'll roll their eyes or fall asleep. So here is a guy with some musical chops who is going to listen to it allegedly for the first time and have the reaction that we wish people in our inner circles would have. That's all these reaction videos are.

Offline HOF

« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2023, 12:45:07 PM »
Thing is, after a certain point there isn't much to 'react' to in live time. If he wants to pick the song apart and explain to viewers what's happening harmonically that's a different type of content, but these reaction videos are just supposed to make us feel warm and fuzzy. Once in a while he'll point out the intervals that go by, but that's not why we watch.

Most of us cannot talk to wives or friends about DT because they'll roll their eyes or fall asleep. So here is a guy with some musical chops who is going to listen to it allegedly for the first time and have the reaction that we wish people in our inner circles would have. That's all these reaction videos are.

Yeah, that is exactly what these videos are for. I might prefer to watch something with some in depth analysis, but I’ll admit it brought me some joy to see him apparently digging this magnificent song.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #275 on: May 15, 2023, 11:29:45 AM »
Part 2 of Images and Words debuts at 4:30 today!
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2023, 03:20:54 PM »
Part 2 should be better.  It's a bit more proggy and complex.  I thought part 1 was a little underwhelming.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #277 on: May 15, 2023, 05:43:44 PM »
Spending time on Under a Glass Moon lyrics  :facepalm:

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2023, 07:49:32 AM »
I found part 2 similarly underwhelming. He did react so the video fulfilled its purpose but I think the next thing to do to make these these things more interesting is for Doug to talk about what's going on in the song or in a section. It doesn't have to be a deep dive, but just reading some of the lyrics and making drum movements gets boring. That's why part 1 and 2 are basically the same.

He obviously has the knowledge to talk about these songs in more depth so would love to see him react maybe to the different musical ideas employed in the songs. That would take a lot more work on his end so I get why it's probably not happening but just a thought.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2023, 09:11:06 AM »
I notice that, somewhere along the way, he has stopped complaining about double bass drum parts.