Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 32966 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2022, 11:11:30 AM »
I've watched a ton of his videos and there's no way these are first listen reactions. I believe he preps for his tapings and is well versed in whatever song he is "reacting" to.
Why do you think that?  I have no problem believing these are first listen reactions, unless he specifically says otherwise (which he has a couple of times).

Not sure. It's just a feeling I get. Not all of the time, but sometimes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2022, 11:49:50 AM »
He does research, like reading a wiki article or something, so he knows what the lyrical ideas are, the context of the album, etc.  But, I've seen no evidence that he has listened to the songs previously.

I agree, although he has done songs with which he has some familiarity, and he mentions that up front.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2022, 12:10:07 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on that; that means I don't have much reason to watch. I think it's really unfortunate that he's headed that direction. The reason for me to listen to him is for his expert musical analysis, not his amateur lyrical analysis.

I wonder if a substantial part of the audience for these reactors is encouraging them to move in this direction, for some reason I can't fathom. Some recent Charismatic Voice videos have had more of a focus on the lyrics, though she hasn't turned as sharply in this direction as Doug.

I probably already said this, but I think it's often difficult to figure out some of DT's musical intricacies on the fly.  Like just when you've determined what time signature they're in, it changes.  I'd really like him to do some deep-dive discussions on some of these songs, rather than pure "reaction videos".

I agree and I would also like to see how this compares to classical movements since that's supposed to be his background. In fact, I recall him, when reacting to SDOIT (I think Goodnight Kiss) and during the JP interlude he goes something like 'oh that sounds like the overture' to wit I was thinking duh. I'd have to go back and make sure I didn't imagine that but I'd like to hear more about the structure of songs rather than the meaning of the lyrics or what key they're in.

It's hardly fair to say "duh" to someone recognizing a theme he heard only once, 20 minutes beforehand.

I'm quite certain Doug is 100x the musician you are

And precisely none of that is relevant to what hunnus said. 

I've watched a ton of his videos and there's no way these are first listen reactions. I believe he preps for his tapings and is well versed in whatever song he is "reacting" to.
Why do you think that?  I have no problem believing these are first listen reactions, unless he specifically says otherwise (which he has a couple of times).

I have some issues with Doug's videos, but "lying" about them being first time reactions isn't one of them.  Yeah, he could be lying about them being first listens, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2022, 12:31:09 PM »
FTR, I am not accusing the guy of lying. I just feel there's a preparedness to some of these videos, and I sometimes have the feeling that it is more than simply looking it up on wiki.

Not a big deal. I'm not flaming the guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2022, 03:06:08 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on that; that means I don't have much reason to watch. I think it's really unfortunate that he's headed that direction. The reason for me to listen to him is for his expert musical analysis, not his amateur lyrical analysis.

I wonder if a substantial part of the audience for these reactors is encouraging them to move in this direction, for some reason I can't fathom. Some recent Charismatic Voice videos have had more of a focus on the lyrics, though she hasn't turned as sharply in this direction as Doug.

I probably already said this, but I think it's often difficult to figure out some of DT's musical intricacies on the fly.  Like just when you've determined what time signature they're in, it changes.  I'd really like him to do some deep-dive discussions on some of these songs, rather than pure "reaction videos".

I agree and I would also like to see how this compares to classical movements since that's supposed to be his background. In fact, I recall him, when reacting to SDOIT (I think Goodnight Kiss) and during the JP interlude he goes something like 'oh that sounds like the overture' to wit I was thinking duh. I'd have to go back and make sure I didn't imagine that but I'd like to hear more about the structure of songs rather than the meaning of the lyrics or what key they're in.

It's hardly fair to say "duh" to someone recognizing a theme he heard only once, 20 minutes beforehand.

I'm quite certain Doug is 100x the musician you are

To that I would say - duh - of course. :)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2022, 03:05:23 PM »
Doug is usually upfront when he's doing a song that he's heard before. I know he does do a decent amount of prep ahead of time (or "reading in" as he calls it) with regards to the song/album/band before, and some bands he's done multiple times can be somewhat predictable (looking at you Iron Maiden).

I actually joined Doug's patreon back when he announced that he was going to do all of SFAM and it's a pretty great community. I also ended up going to a Tool concert with him because he had an extra ticket to sell, nice guy in person.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #216 on: April 08, 2022, 01:34:22 PM »
I actually joined Doug's patreon back when he announced that he was going to do all of SFAM and it's a pretty great community. I also ended up going to a Tool concert with him because he had an extra ticket to sell, nice guy in person.

Nice
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #217 on: May 11, 2022, 11:16:09 AM »
This Dying Soul is on Youtube by the Doug, that will be my next one to watch...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #218 on: May 11, 2022, 11:55:54 AM »
It should be interesting to see how he reacts to the TDS wankfest.  I'm sure the look on his face will be priceless.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2022, 01:23:13 PM »
It should be interesting to see how he reacts to the TDS wankfest.  I'm sure the look on his face will be priceless.  :lol

The thumbnail to the video says it all, really. Watched this one the other night! Hopefully he doesn't take another 90 episodes/4 months to get to "The Root Of All Evil"!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2022, 01:50:18 PM »
I'd love to see him watch Beyond This Life from LAB.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2022, 01:50:42 PM »
I mean...if his future reactions/reviews are just going to be "whoa...they're all really amazing" and "lyrics, lyrics, lyrics," then...whatever.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2022, 08:36:10 PM »
The dude’s a classical composer, he needs to pick songs better suited to his comfort zone. He did great with songs like TCOT because it was worthy of such analysis, TDS is not. Wankfest with a lot of crappy vocals.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2022, 05:04:47 AM »
The dude’s a classical composer, he needs to pick songs better suited to his comfort zone. He did great with songs like TCOT because it was worthy of such analysis, TDS is not. Wankfest with a lot of crappy vocals.

Well, it's part of the 12 step suite, it's the reason why he's doing this.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2022, 05:42:45 AM »

I don't mind him doing songs like TDS at all. I like when he starts breaking down the riffs. I'm not very musical, so I like hearing him call out the riffs and interesting changes that I otherwise wouldn't be able to hear myself.. if that makes any sense. I wish he'd do more of that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 07:07:08 AM by Chino »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2022, 07:02:47 AM »

Well, it's part of the 12 step suite, it's the reason why he's doing this.

You're right, duh, I forgot.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #226 on: May 12, 2022, 04:04:48 PM »
I have some catching up to do.  Haven't even seen TGP yet.  Better get on that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #227 on: May 12, 2022, 10:32:34 PM »
After seeing the TDS video I appreciated the song more. Good on him for showing it some love.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2022, 04:06:38 PM »
Watched TGP and TDS over the weekend.  Both were excellent.  I think his facial reactions and movements to the music is what I enjoy most.  :2metal:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: July 15, 2022, 01:08:33 PM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2022, 11:53:44 AM »
I still need to check that out.  Glad he decided not to wait 4 months this time.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2022, 09:38:06 AM »
Really enjoyed the 3rd installment of the 12 SS.  So cool how he notices things in songs that have managed to escape me all these years.  ??? :eek

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2022, 11:39:07 AM »
He does one video a month on his patreon where members submit and vote on songs for a given theme and he does the top 10-12 in one long video. This month's theme is cover songs and it looks like both the Elton John cover from ACOS and the Queen medley from the Black Clouds bonus disc are going to make the cut.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2022, 02:17:25 PM »
Nice.  Love all the covers on ACOS. :tup

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2022, 03:00:16 PM »
Yeah, they're great. He's also had the big medley from ACOS on his master list for a while now, I'm hoping he'll check that out and then edit in the two from this upcoming patreon video for a DT covers edition of his longer Friday reactions.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2022, 09:35:41 AM »
He does one video a month on his patreon where members submit and vote on songs for a given theme and he does the top 10-12 in one long video. This month's theme is cover songs and it looks like both the Elton John cover from ACOS and the Queen medley from the Black Clouds bonus disc are going to make the cut.

Will these eventually make their way to YouTube or are they Patreon-exclusive?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2022, 06:11:14 AM »

Will these eventually make their way to YouTube or are they Patreon-exclusive?

He doesn't post the whole videos to YT, but will sometimes take excerpts out of them to put on the channel if there's a song he thinks will do well on it (plus it makes for an easier work day as he just needs to record an intro/outro).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2022, 04:44:45 PM »
Queen medley from the Black Clouds bonus disc
I hope he's going to talk about the fact Queen very rarely did songs where Freddie sings the lead and then stays out of (most of) the remaining backing vocals, and Mike Portnoy is a diehard who KNOWS THAT and yet he did all the BVs by himself instead of recording them together with James :P it sounds plain wrong, especially when you consider the fact MP can't really hit the required notes anyway.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2022, 04:18:58 PM »
https://youtu.be/dG-RFMrIaxM

Doug just posted his reaction to "Repentance" AND "The Shattered Fortress", both in one video!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2022, 04:27:22 PM »
Can I assume that most of it is him napping through Repentance?  Probably his first DT video that I won't watch.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2022, 04:44:26 PM »
Can I assume that most of it is him napping through Repentance?  Probably his first DT video that I won't watch.

Without spoiling too much, he absolutely loved it, and claims it's one of his favorite DT songs he's heard so far.

Definitely NOT the reaction I expected so it was exciting to see him be excited about the song!

-Marc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2022, 07:04:09 PM »

Without spoiling too much, he absolutely loved it, and claims it's one of his favorite DT songs he's heard so far.

Definitely NOT the reaction I expected so it was exciting to see him be excited about the song!

I wasn't surprised by his reaction. look, it's one of my least favorite DT songs, but I think it's cool as hell, and I totally respect what they were going for. It's just not something I personally want to listen through if I don't have to.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2022, 09:20:28 PM »
Repentance is one of my favorite DT songs. I really really love it. Even if it's a bit too long.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2022, 07:47:42 PM »
Great song, some really nice melodies and the only song on that album featuring genuine emotion from real life experiences.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #244 on: August 17, 2022, 08:22:26 AM »
Great song, some really nice melodies and the only song on that album featuring genuine emotion from real life experiences.

You hit the nail on the head here. Where the rest of the album is fairly bombastic, even TMoLS with its instrumental section in the middle, Repentance is the one song where the band laid back and gave the emotions within the song the proper space to breathe. Beautiful melodies, an incredible guitar solo, and the layered confessions right after the solo gives me chills every time. It’s moody in a way that’s pretty unique to their discography, with only Space-Dye Vest and Disappear being comparable. As someone who isn’t that big of a fan of the 12SS to begin with, I think the final three songs in the suite far outclass the first two.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask