Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 32955 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2022, 08:11:19 PM »
I really liked that he spent a lot more time talking about time signatures in this one and a lot less time on the lyrics.

Right. I never knew the verse went in counts of 7-6-5-4-3. I thought that was really interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2022, 09:53:08 AM »
I really liked that he spent a lot more time talking about time signatures in this one and a lot less time on the lyrics.

Right. I never knew the verse went in counts of 7-6-5-4-3. I thought that was really interesting.

Yeah...that may have been the intent, but I've always counted it as 7-6-5-7 (and he mentioned at the end that you could count it that way).  It's cool to think of it as a countdown and, while I haven't written a song in a LONG time, I occasionally come up with snippets and have thought it would be fun to do that.  Of course, Rush did it first (By-Tor at the end of the 7/4 War Furor section).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2022, 02:15:08 PM »
Thanks to TAC posting on the Queen discography in regards to 'The March of the Black Queen' (carryover to 'Funny How Love Is'), I watched his 'Breaking All Illusions' review.  Yeah, he talks over occasional good stuff at times, but, as a wannabe musician, I learn from him.  I also enjoy how he goes along and calls out various notes and time signatures.  And I just enjoy how he presents it all, as an adult and so 'edjumecated' individual :D

Looking forward to hearing various other reviews as time alots. 

btw...on his Fbook page, he makes one hell of a snow angel :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2022, 10:28:35 AM »
Yeah, he talks over occasional good stuff at times, but, as a wannabe musician, I learn from him.  I also enjoy how he goes along and calls out various notes and time signatures.  And I just enjoy how he presents it all, as an adult and so 'edjumecated' individual :D

That's the stuff I like, and he did that for BAI.  His video for Heart of the Sunrise yesterday did virtually none of that.  He yacked and yacked and yacked about the lyrics, often ignoring nuanced musical stuff.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2022, 09:21:17 AM »
I'll be watching the BAI reaction tonight when I'm good and lit.  :hat  :corn :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Mladen

« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2022, 09:47:40 AM »

That part actually blew my mind, given that I've always thought it was 7-6-5-7. It's more fun to look at it as 7-6-5-4-3, as it's one fourth less each time.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2022, 11:00:10 AM »
I'll be watching the BAI reaction tonight when I'm good and lit.  :hat  :corn :2metal:
:corn :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2022, 10:36:16 AM »
Actually, I was slightly underwhelmed by his BAI reaction.  First, he was reciting lyrics when lyric subtitles were already in the video.  Most of it was pretty standard on average, but I think he kind of missed the boat at the end when he called the transition from the last verse into the outro "abrupt and clunky" like they were in a hurry to get to the final progression key.  I guess I sort of see his point, but they did let that last verse slow down a bit before the transition.  I think it works just fine.  It's what they do.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2022, 12:47:53 PM »
Doug said he will be seeing DT live for the first time on this tour and will give a review.  I'll be curious to what he has to say, as long as he doesn't say they were too loud. lol!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2022, 05:01:53 PM »
Actually, I was slightly underwhelmed by his BAI reaction.  First, he was reciting lyrics when lyric subtitles were already in the video.  Most of it was pretty standard on average, but I think he kind of missed the boat at the end when he called the transition from the last verse into the outro "abrupt and clunky" like they were in a hurry to get to the final progression key.  I guess I sort of see his point, but they did let that last verse slow down a bit before the transition.  I think it works just fine.  It's what they do.

For what it’s worth, he didn’t have the context of hearing Far From Heaven before it so he had no idea it was a reprise of the previous song on the album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2022, 04:06:04 PM »
Doug posted his DT in Philly recap video, and he definitely filmed it in cramx3 style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGGL14ayHs

His main comment about the show..."it was too loud."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 04:40:48 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2022, 05:45:37 PM »
Doug posted his DT in Philly recap video, and he definitely filmed it in cramx3 style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGGL14ayHs

His main comment about the show..."it was too loud."
:facepalm:

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2022, 07:10:37 PM »
In his defense, it was a very loud show.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2022, 07:15:33 PM »

Oh yes it was. Arch Echo was practically unlistenable.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2022, 07:40:21 AM »
I've never been to a DT show that was too loud.  What's the story?  Doesn't DT have their own sound engineer?  Couldn't the band tell that it was too loud?  I mean, WTF?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2022, 07:43:47 AM »
Maybe it's a Philly thing. The only time I saw them in Philly the sound was not great (Tower Theater). But I thought the volume for this tour was fine (CT show at least).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2022, 07:45:11 AM »
Almost every DT show I've been to was too loud.  I even told that to JP backstage once, and he smiled and said "You're getting old!"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2022, 07:46:54 AM »
I left this most recent DT show saying "That might have been the loudest concert I've ever been to".

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2022, 07:55:43 AM »

Oh yes it was. Arch Echo was practically unlistenable.
Arch Echo was ridiculously loud,, more like "OUCH Echo".   I couldn't understand why, since their music doesn't call for extreme volumes. 
DT was loud, but a good loud,  whereas AE bass frequencies were pounding through my chest, which I don't like.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2022, 09:17:33 AM »
I've never been to a DT show that was too loud.  What's the story?  Doesn't DT have their own sound engineer?  Couldn't the band tell that it was too loud?  I mean, WTF?

The band mostly hears what's in their in-ear monitors, which is adjusted for them individually.  So, they're relying on the sound engineer.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2022, 09:20:43 AM »

I've never been to a concert that I thought was too loud, and I've never worn ear plugs.  The DT show on this tour was less loud than the last one, but things may be different from venue to venue.  For me, the problem with DT shows has ALWAYS been the mix.  One or the other of the guitar or drums has always been too loud, and the bass is almost never audible.  Maybe that could be corrected by dropping the overall volume, and I'd be ok with that.

Also, the band on stage has no idea what the sound is like for the audience (either volume or mix).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2022, 10:45:13 AM »
Also, the band on stage has no idea what the sound is like for the audience (either volume or mix).

Correct.  And that is ESPECIALLY true with in-ear monitors.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2022, 12:16:51 PM »
Hate to say it, but from those clips there wasn't one line sung by LaBrie where his voice didn't crack or get too whispery or off-pitch or with a unpleasant timbre. Dead horse I know, and if I was there I probably wouldn't have noticed but with audio footage that hasn't been tampered with it was pretty noticeable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #198 on: March 25, 2022, 07:25:15 PM »
https://youtu.be/SIeGbhVYib4

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but Doug released his reaction to "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" a couple of days ago. It was originally a Patreon exclusive recorded back in Mid-December 2021, but he's now put it up on YouTube. Haven't seen it yet but I'm about to.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #199 on: March 25, 2022, 07:38:41 PM »

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but Doug released his reaction to "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" a couple of days ago. It was originally a Patreon exclusive recorded back in Mid-December 2021, but he's now put it up on YouTube. Haven't seen it yet but I'm about to.

-Marc.

Cool. I forgot about that. I don't know if I have the energy to watch it. To me, it's one of the most uninteresting pieces they have, and, well, Doug can be hit or miss.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2022, 02:51:36 PM »

-Marc.

Cool. I forgot about that. I don't know if I have the energy to watch it. To me, it's one of the most uninteresting pieces they have, and, well, Doug can be hit or miss.

I'm about halfway through as I type this.  I LOVE SDOIT, but so far, about 75% of his commentary is on the lyrics.

Offline 425

« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2022, 03:26:54 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on that; that means I don't have much reason to watch. I think it's really unfortunate that he's headed that direction. The reason for me to listen to him is for his expert musical analysis, not his amateur lyrical analysis.

I wonder if a substantial part of the audience for these reactors is encouraging them to move in this direction, for some reason I can't fathom. Some recent Charismatic Voice videos have had more of a focus on the lyrics, though she hasn't turned as sharply in this direction as Doug.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2022, 02:55:37 PM »
I do appreciate that he stated that DT distances themselves from the thousands of wanna-bes because “there’s substance there”. I totally agree.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2022, 03:12:55 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on that; that means I don't have much reason to watch. I think it's really unfortunate that he's headed that direction. The reason for me to listen to him is for his expert musical analysis, not his amateur lyrical analysis.

I wonder if a substantial part of the audience for these reactors is encouraging them to move in this direction, for some reason I can't fathom. Some recent Charismatic Voice videos have had more of a focus on the lyrics, though she hasn't turned as sharply in this direction as Doug.

I probably already said this, but I think it's often difficult to figure out some of DT's musical intricacies on the fly.  Like just when you've determined what time signature they're in, it changes.  I'd really like him to do some deep-dive discussions on some of these songs, rather than pure "reaction videos".

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2022, 06:18:44 AM »

I probably already said this, but I think it's often difficult to figure out some of DT's musical intricacies on the fly.  Like just when you've determined what time signature they're in, it changes.  I'd really like him to do some deep-dive discussions on some of these songs, rather than pure "reaction videos".

I agree and I would also like to see how this compares to classical movements since that's supposed to be his background. In fact, I recall him, when reacting to SDOIT (I think Goodnight Kiss) and during the JP interlude he goes something like 'oh that sounds like the overture' to wit I was thinking duh. I'd have to go back and make sure I didn't imagine that but I'd like to hear more about the structure of songs rather than the meaning of the lyrics or what key they're in.

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2022, 08:40:41 PM »

I agree and I would also like to see how this compares to classical movements since that's supposed to be his background. In fact, I recall him, when reacting to SDOIT (I think Goodnight Kiss) and during the JP interlude he goes something like 'oh that sounds like the overture' to wit I was thinking duh. I'd have to go back and make sure I didn't imagine that but I'd like to hear more about the structure of songs rather than the meaning of the lyrics or what key they're in.

It's hardly fair to say "duh" to someone recognizing a theme he heard only once, 20 minutes beforehand.

I'm quite certain Doug is 100x the musician you are

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2022, 08:45:26 PM »
I've watched a ton of his videos and there's no way these are first listen reactions. I believe he preps for his tapings and is well versed in whatever song he is "reacting" to.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2022, 10:53:19 AM »
They're still reactions nonetheless.  I need to check out his SDOIT bit.  I would imagine this is the one DT song he relates to the most based on the orchestrated intro Overture and how it sets the tone for the song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2022, 10:55:25 AM »
I've watched a ton of his videos and there's no way these are first listen reactions. I believe he preps for his tapings and is well versed in whatever song he is "reacting" to.
Why do you think that?  I have no problem believing these are first listen reactions, unless he specifically says otherwise (which he has a couple of times).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2022, 11:09:23 AM »
He does research, like reading a wiki article or something, so he knows what the lyrical ideas are, the context of the album, etc.  But, I've seen no evidence that he has listened to the songs previously.