Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 32994 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Classical Composer Reacts to OCTAVARIUM
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2021, 06:33:48 AM »
Didn't think this was worth a separate thread, but a pretty enthusiastic reaction to Metropolis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFiEtcuKiPA
Photobucket sucks.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2021, 08:39:24 AM »
I've seen it as well Hunnus and I totally liked it. The Scenes From a Memory-part I didn't liked but he is such a fan of beautiful music and really gives our favorites a chance.

And he's gonna see Dream Theater live in november, so curious what he's gonna say about that.
I wonder which venue he's seeing them in November?  If it's in Seattle, I'll buy him a beer and tell him to refrain from yelling out loud what key they're playing in or pausing the show during a song.  🍺  :chill

Just wait til he complains about every time Mike does any extended amount of double bass drumming! "It takes away from the power of the song!"  :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2021, 02:20:58 PM »
Didn't think this was worth a separate thread, but a pretty enthusiastic reaction to Metropolis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFiEtcuKiPA

Wow, I haven't watched her channel in a while, but this was a fantastic reaction. Seeing her giddy during the instrumental breakdown brought me back to my first experience with the song.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2021, 09:46:22 AM »

Cool reactions and all, but she drives me insane with stopping every song every five seconds to spend five minutes talking about the prior five seconds.  That's how a 9+ minute song turns into a nearly hour long reaction video.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online The Letter M

« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »

Cool reactions and all, but she drives me insane with stopping every song every five seconds to spend five minutes talking about the prior five seconds.  That's how a 9+ minute song turns into a nearly hour long reaction video.

I liked her reaction to Metropolis, but I agree, the stopping every minute got fairly annoying after awhile. You could probably hear the whole song at least twice with the amount of times she backtracked.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2021, 04:20:05 PM »
I liked his recent reaction to The Alien.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2021, 02:03:24 PM »
I liked his recent reaction to The Alien.  :tup

me too. Especially his compliment on Mangini.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2021, 07:56:40 PM »
I like Doug. I am very skeptical of the genre of reaction videos, but I think Doug does a nice job of pointing out some things...and obviously there's an endless appetite for confirmation bias amongst metal fans  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2021, 04:34:06 AM »
Yeah reaction videos on the whole are like ??? Why ? Especially when the people watching are usually clearly over-acting for the views.

They're getting silly now too.

Things like " Man who has been walking his whole life REACTS to walking scenes in movies!!! :o :o :o "

They're obviously better when they get like a world expert to talk about things. Like getting Chris Hadfield to comment on space scenes

and laughing along with them at how preposterous Armageddon is.

Offline krands85

« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »
Doug just posted a video of a chat he had with Jordan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOA3R0ISOVQ
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNM9XGK3J8

A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD (track)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »
That was super cool, thanks for the link.  I agree with Doug about the last section,  even though it is still pretty awesome.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online The Letter M

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »
So Doug has covered ACOS, 8VM, TCOT, IT, and now AVFTTOTW. I guess all that's left is ITPOE and SDOIT as far as DT Epics go. I'd like to see him cover SDOIT as a whole album and do it in 2 videos (one for each disc).

As far as his take on AVFTTOTW, he's definitely got some great thoughts on it. I agree, it's not my personal favorite DT epic, but it's got some really great ideas and sounds. I haven't really dived deep into the lyrics of the piece yet, though, to really have a say on what he was talking about with the ending, but musically speaking, the ending did throw me for a loop with no bombastic vocal outro like you'd expect them to do, but then again, this album is all about breaking some expectations and finding new ways to develop the music, and I applaud the band for taking those sorts of chances.

-Marc.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »
I'm glad he went into the theory of the song - not like when he did Scenes From A Memory and just sort of went ooh and ahh.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2021, 04:22:44 PM »
I was thrown by the last vocal line of the song. I felt the same. What a dud way to close the vocal, along with a jarring transition to the outro. You could see how his mood totally changed when that happened.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2021, 05:08:41 PM »
I was thrown by the last vocal line of the song. I felt the same. What a dud way to close the vocal, along with a jarring transition to the outro. You could see how his mood totally changed when that happened.
It's like somebody fell off the cliff on the album cover while enjoying the view, and all that's left are the boots.

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »
 :lol yeah, something like that..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2021, 08:18:55 PM »
I still haven’t come to terms with the ending yet myself.  Love the rest of the song so I will always listen to it and will therefore get more used to it but I struggle with how it ends, especially the transition from the last vocal into the riffing.  I think, if you sit through a 20 min song, you’ve earned a satisfying epic crescendo ending, rather than something that just meanders to a close.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2021, 03:24:35 AM »
Was a very nice episode and I follow his opinion completely. Only, dude... Doug needs to clean his glasses.

Offline Kram

« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2021, 09:09:12 AM »
I still haven’t come to terms with the ending yet myself.  Love the rest of the song so I will always listen to it and will therefore get more used to it but I struggle with how it ends, especially the transition from the last vocal into the riffing.  I think, if you sit through a 20 min song, you’ve earned a satisfying epic crescendo ending, rather than something that just meanders to a close.
I agree that it's not the most satisfying ending, however, I like that they did something different and not what we'd all expect.  I also feel like live, the ending will come across a bit more satisfying, as I'm envisioning MM going crazy, and bringing the energy level up a notch or two live.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2022, 11:05:28 AM »
Our dear friend Daily Doug did the Glass Prison monday and is planning on a reaction to the whole Twelve Step suite. Nice knowing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2022, 11:15:38 AM »
Doug has become VERY focused on lyrics, which is much less appealing to me.  I started following him because of his theory analysis, where he's forgotten more than I know.  With lyrics, though, he's got no more expertise than any of us.  I still like his videos, but I wish he'd get back to more of the musical analysis.

Also, I think he said he's going to do the 12SS on his Patreon.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2022, 11:17:45 AM »
I still like his videos, but I wish he'd get back to more of the musical analysis.

Me too for sure.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2022, 10:59:34 PM »
Really liked his TGP reaction.  Probably the most entertaining one to date based on his prog metal tendencies!  Loved it!  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2022, 07:19:09 AM »
Also, I think he said he's going to do the 12SS on his Patreon.

I believe he said he'd do them separately on his channel.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2022, 07:40:52 PM »
Doug has become VERY focused on lyrics, which is much less appealing to me.  I started following him because of his theory analysis, where he's forgotten more than I know.  With lyrics, though, he's got no more expertise than any of us.  I still like his videos, but I wish he'd get back to more of the musical analysis.

I agree with this.

To be fair, he did mention that TGP is mostly in B minor, with some F# overtones, and many of the riffs during the second section were chromatic, but yea, he doesn't seem too interested in discussing the theory or progressions as much in recent videos, instead focusing on lyrics or meanings to songs, often talking over parts of a song he should be focused on, and missing crucial sections that he could be dissecting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2022, 07:54:40 PM »

I agree with this.

To be fair, he did mention that TGP is mostly in B minor, with some F# overtones, and many of the riffs during the second section were chromatic, but yea, he doesn't seem too interested in discussing the theory or progressions as much in recent videos, instead focusing on lyrics or meanings to songs, often talking over parts of a song he should be focused on, and missing crucial sections that he could be dissecting.

This I agree with.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2022, 07:05:02 PM »
As part of Doug's Metal Mondays, he's covered "Breaking All Illusions" as a specifically requested Patreon pick. He covers the live version from BTFW.

-Marc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2022, 07:16:27 PM »
I literally just watched this. Such a great tune.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2022, 07:24:52 AM »
As part of Doug's Metal Mondays, he's covered "Breaking All Illusions" as a specifically requested Patreon pick. He covers the live version from BTFW.

-Marc.

He did the one thing you may never do... talk through the beautiful intro of Breaking All Illusions and therefore missing it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2022, 07:45:36 AM »
Welp, I asked for that I guess. Someone in the comments spoiled one song from the current setlist  :tdwn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online The Letter M

« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2022, 07:56:17 AM »
Welp, I asked for that I guess. Someone in the comments spoiled one song from the current setlist  :tdwn

This is why you never read the (YouTube) comments!

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2022, 08:54:55 AM »
Modified the thread title
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2022, 09:51:06 AM »

-Marc.

Can't wait to check that out.  :corn

Offline pg1067

Re: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2022, 10:05:55 AM »
I really liked that he spent a lot more time talking about time signatures in this one and a lot less time on the lyrics.

I'll be REALLY interested to hear his review of the concert in a month or so.