Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 32962 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: Classical Composer Reacts to OCTAVARIUM
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2021, 08:38:19 AM »
I wonder what he thinks of tremolo guitar / violin etc., considering his distaste of double kicks.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2021, 09:00:01 AM »
It's not like MP was double bass crazy on SFAM anyway. He used it tastefully.

I've enjoyed some of his DT reactions, but the guy is kind of a douche.

I’ve met some grade A douches in my life. But I always thought Doug came across as a pretty good guy  🤷‍♂️

Offline HOF

« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2021, 10:18:59 AM »
These things are genre conventions of metal. It's like listening to Jazz and being like "and then they had to ruin the song by putting a saxophone in it" 

To be fair, as someone who listens to a ton of jazz and jazz related music, there is a ton of it out there with no sax in sight, and when there is sax, I often react similarly: "they had to ruin this by putting a saxophone in it."  :lol There is lots of metal out there that's doesn't use, or rely on, fairly simple double kick drums playing quarter notes or eighth notes in 4/4 or 6/8 and acting as a mechanical metronome, and doesn't always contribute to the actual music/composition, which is what I think Doug's main complaint about their use is.

*I find most jazz sax players don't have enough melody in their playing, their playing can be grating on the ears, and/or blare and honk their horn too much.

I’d say it’s more like listening to a Van Halen song and complaining about Eddie tapping during a solo. Double bass drumming is a stylistic trademark for MP.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »

I’ve met some grade A douches in my life. But I always thought Doug came across as a pretty good guy  🤷‍♂️

He is a good guy.  Tastefully critical.  Douche never really crossed my mind.  But hey, TAC doesn't like Power Windows either, so you kinda have to take that with a grain or two of salt.  Just messin' with ya Tim.  You know I love ya!  :-*
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2021, 01:09:20 PM »
Hah!

Yeah, maybe douche is a little strong. A little..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2021, 01:21:19 PM »
Hah!

Now your Power Windows take is douchey. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »
Hah!

Now your Power Windows take is douchey. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2021, 01:46:00 PM »
Exactly you douche! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2021, 02:02:42 PM »
Hah!

Now your Power Windows take is douchey extremely astute, well-reasoned and insightful. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

ftf all of us.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2021, 02:04:42 PM »
Hah!

I've seen far douchier music react channels. There's one of two dude-bro guys who say they have to stop the song every 20-30 seconds because of YouTube rules and what not when I watch plenty of other music react channels play songs all the way through with no issue, even without any talk (so the whole song plays un-interrupted, like JustJP does on his channel).

I'd rather have Doug be jokingly annoyed at double bass every few videos than have folks who just have lame "OOOOOOH!!" exclamations every few moments of a song and don't really add much other than base-line reactions without any further thought to the music or lyrics.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2021, 02:26:45 PM »
I don't watch reaction videos regularly, unless it's black guys reacting to Bill Burr.

Musically, I'm not going to watch a reaction to something I don't care for, and I don't really care what some dud thinks about what I do like.

I saw Doug's TCOT reaction in my feed, and it was quite enjoyable. As was 8V. I watched a couple Maiden ones, but he was too engrossed in his piano and missed some important moments.

I'll take back the douche comment, but he does kind of come off as a bit snobby musically.

And he's not joking about double bass. Not that I care, but he was way off regarding the use of the double bass on SFAM.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2021, 02:47:44 PM »
Hah!

Now your Power Windows take is douchey extremely astute, well-reasoned and insightful and full of baloney. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

ftf 3 of you.

FTF back at ya.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2021, 02:52:41 PM »
DTF to all of you!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2021, 03:04:56 PM »
 :lol You guys are killin' me!  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2021, 03:37:18 PM »
 :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2021, 04:05:01 PM »

Thank you.

I've watched a few of his videos now and really don't see what the fuss is about.  I'm impressed with his ear, but I agree his manner and the way he comes across sometimes is a bit like he has a high opinion of himself or something, can't quite put my finger on it.

I always expect a bit more insight also to his thoughts on the music.  Most of what I've seen is just him telling us the chord progressions and key changes.  Well duh, I can figure that out.  I don't know his exact background but more interested in his thoughts on the tunes and songwriting of these bands that are not familiar styles for him.

I mean, I watched one he did for Holy Wars and he ripped it to shreds.  Didn't mention much about Marty as a guitarist and ripped the song for not having much variety musically.  What the hell does he expect, it's classic thrash, you don't like it that's fine, but don't rip it because it has no key changes or anything technically amazing going on.

Also, something like the Jason Becker Altitudes video he did.  He appreciated the song but then carried on how the song ended.  Saying it shouldn't have resolved like that.  Whatever dude, it's one of the most amazing masterclasses in guitar shred and he carries on about that.  Has this guy done anything more worthwhile than the artists he's reacting to?  I think now.

I don't know, ignore my rant, don't mean to derail the thread, but yeah, not a fan.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2021, 06:58:04 PM »
I also have gotten kind of a weird vibe from him. Part of the problem is he looks and sounds like an old friend of mine whose personality can rub me wrong at times. So maybe I’m projecting. I do get some enjoyment out of him digging the music (the Spock’s Beard one was cool, some of the Genesis ones too). Mostly though I watch them just to kind of see whether he likes a song and not really for his insights.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2021, 07:18:11 PM »
I also have gotten kind of a weird vibe from him. Part of the problem is he looks and sounds like an old friend of mine whose personality can rub me wrong at times. So maybe I’m projecting. I do get some enjoyment out of him digging the music (the Spock’s Beard one was cool, some of the Genesis ones too). Mostly though I watch them just to kind of see whether he likes a song and not really for his insights.

If you guys want to see a real douche, Watch The TAC Reaction Channel when he does Genesis. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2021, 12:45:34 AM »

If you guys want to see a real douche, Watch The TAC Reaction Channel when he does Genesis. :lol

I legit searched for TAC reaction channel in youtube.  Left disappointed.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2021, 02:52:50 AM »
After the Dance, the Count, Illumination Theory and Octavarium, I figured this would be his best piece so far. But it’s the least in my opinion. That’s too bad and the whole Scenes unworthy, I would say.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Evai

« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2021, 02:58:18 AM »
It's the daily dog
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2021, 06:18:03 AM »

DTF is not only my facebook, instagram, twitter, and yes..it also serves as The TAC Reaction channel.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2021, 08:17:35 AM »

DTF is not only my facebook, instagram, twitter, and yes..it also serves as The TAC Reaction channel.

I get that TAC Channel via Can and String.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2021, 08:59:06 AM »

I get that TAC Channel via Can and String.

Oh good. That means the aluminum foil on the antenna worked.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »
Remember when you were the antenna for your dad?  LOL  No turn the left rabbit ear back.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2021, 09:10:31 AM »
Remember when you were the antenna for your dad?  LOL  No turn the left rabbit ear back.

Yup!
“Don’t move!”

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2021, 09:17:29 AM »
My dad still brags that he had the 1st remote controller.......... me. :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
DTF to all of you!

And also with you.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2021, 02:39:38 PM »

Of course, silly me.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2021, 03:58:23 PM »
I mean, I watched one he did for Holy Wars and he ripped it to shreds.  Didn't mention much about Marty as a guitarist and ripped the song for not having much variety musically.  What the hell does he expect, it's classic thrash, you don't like it that's fine, but don't rip it because it has no key changes or anything technically amazing going on.

Also, something like the Jason Becker Altitudes video he did.  He appreciated the song but then carried on how the song ended.  Saying it shouldn't have resolved like that.  Whatever dude, it's one of the most amazing masterclasses in guitar shred and he carries on about that.  Has this guy done anything more worthwhile than the artists he's reacting to?  I think now.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves, when the commentator in question just flat out refuses to engage the music on its own terms.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2021, 10:15:15 AM »
Well, it is his YouTube channel so he can do whatever he wants on his own terms.  Over 100k subscribers pretty much tells the story.  All the haters can just get fucking lost. :p

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2021, 04:54:15 AM »
Well, it is his YouTube channel so he can do whatever he wants on his own terms.  Over 100k subscribers pretty much tells the story.  All the haters can just get fucking lost. :p

This doesn't quite feel applicable when many of the people criticising him here otherwise enjoy his content in some manner. I think constructive criticism is fair for someone who seems to be getting renown from critiquing and analysing music. Just because his channel might be a step above other reaction content in terms of substance, doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement in cases where his insights seem shallow or contrived. Whether he chooses to listen to it or not is his choice, but people should be free to point out their issues as consumers of his work.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2021, 07:59:38 AM »
Someone I think posted this earlier but Doug has posted a first reaction to The Alien which is pretty much predictable and was similar to the reaction on this board that DTF members first had. He did however gush about the drumming and was discussing time sigs.

That got me to thinking, I would pay to watch a discussion between him and MM about that kind of stuff! Most of it would go over my head but I'm certain I would still find it enjoyable!  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLzWyiJ8Hc

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »
I've seen it as well Hunnus and I totally liked it. The Scenes From a Memory-part I didn't liked but he is such a fan of beautiful music and really gives our favorites a chance.

And he's gonna see Dream Theater live in november, so curious what he's gonna say about that.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2021, 05:38:13 AM »
I've seen it as well Hunnus and I totally liked it. The Scenes From a Memory-part I didn't liked but he is such a fan of beautiful music and really gives our favorites a chance.

And he's gonna see Dream Theater live in november, so curious what he's gonna say about that.
I wonder which venue he's seeing them in November?  If it's in Seattle, I'll buy him a beer and tell him to refrain from yelling out loud what key they're playing in or pausing the show during a song.  🍺  :chill
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP