Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 32957 times)

Offline nikatapi

Re: Classical Composer Reacts to OCTAVARIUM
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2021, 06:29:34 AM »

I pretty much agree with everything here- including the opinion that ADToE, with all of its own problems, is the last DT album that sounds like it had a budget and wasn’t written and recorded in a closet over a long holiday weekend  (although Astonishing definitely has some positives in the the sound department).

Have to disagree a bit on the ADTOE comment, i actually find it to be one of the worst sounding DT records.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2021, 01:42:19 PM »
The entire second half of SC is so slow and dull.

Repentance followed by Ministry is a SLOG.

Well, that's because your missing the energetic song that is between Repentance and The Ministry Of Lost Souls... :lol

:hat I listen to SC so little to care. Prophets is not even as good as Never Enough.

LOL, I almost spit out my beverage.  That's like saying a kick in the nuts is just a little more painful than a sharp stick in the eye. :lol  Both songs are bottom of the DT barrel.  The question of which one is better never even entered my mind.  ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2021, 01:56:59 PM »
The entire second half of SC is so slow and dull.

Repentance followed by Ministry is a SLOG.

Well, that's because your missing the energetic song that is between Repentance and The Ministry Of Lost Souls... :lol

:hat I listen to SC so little to care. Prophets is not even as good as Never Enough.

LOL, I almost spit out my beverage.  That's like saying a kick in the nuts is just a little more painful than a sharp stick in the eye. :lol  Both songs are bottom of the DT barrel.  The question of which one is better never even entered my mind.  ???

:rollin

I can't say I disagree...

I prefer POW, though, because it's a bit more original than just a Muse song re-written. NE has that pretty cool JP/JR unison, tho.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2021, 03:52:42 PM »

Both songs are bottom of the DT barrel.

But saying Myungs lyrics are over rated is 'against forum rules'.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2021, 08:38:47 PM »

Both songs are bottom of the DT barrel.

But saying Myungs lyrics are over rated is 'against forum rules'.

The bottom of a barrel of chocolate or bacon isn’t an insult.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2021, 10:39:01 PM »
I watched his Octavarium video again and he's just so fun to watch.  He's just a big kid passionate about music.

"OH MAN!  THEY WENT TO C#!!!  AHHHHHHH!!!!"

"THAT'S A DOMINANT OVER B-FLAT!"

"Y'ALL!!!"

"DID YOU HEAR THOSE HORNS?!!  REAL HORNS!!  YES!!!"

At the end:  "IT'S MAJOR!!!"

He throws up the TOUCHDOWN arms a lot but the best is right before the final solo.

He also gives that side-eye "bitch, please" look when DT does something amazing.  Like "wtf are they doing" stuff.

He's so happy.  So great.

Seriously makes me appreciate DT even more.  Really opened my mind to how complex they actually are even though it's just another day for most of us.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2021, 10:57:58 AM »
I never understood the hate for Never Enough around here. I think it's a pretty awesome rockin song!  In fact, I turned at least three people on to DT with that song. It led them to buy the Octavarium album.   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2021, 01:11:40 PM »
I never understood the hate for Never Enough around here. I think it's a pretty awesome rockin song!  In fact, I turned at least three people on to DT with that song. It led them to buy the Octavarium album.   :metal

Honestly, I haven't listened to it in a long time, but it was never a favorite, and a lot of it has to do with the lyrics.  It's one of those rare songs where lyrics are so bad that they drag the song down.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2021, 01:13:13 PM »
James is fantastic on Never Enough. The lyrics have never really bothered me. It's the delivery that I like a lot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2021, 09:11:52 AM »
The lyrics are a little, well, whatever, but the groove on that song is outrageous, even if it is a Muse ripoff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2021, 05:31:56 AM »
Can't wait for this guy to tackle some Transatlantic, Neal Morse and Flower Kings epics.

Offline HOF

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2021, 10:58:38 PM »
The lyrics are a little, well, whatever, but the groove on that song is outrageous, even if it is a Muse ripoff.

The reason it's an awful song is that it sounds like Muse, a truly awful band.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2021, 08:03:28 AM »

I always thought the song sounded better than Muse, I never liked them. The middle unison section always sounded badass to me.
By contrast, their other Muse-sounding song, Prophets of War, with it's metal riffing, and with its Queen-esque sound mixed in, is awful.

Offline HOF

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2021, 08:31:20 AM »

I always thought the song sounded better than Muse, I never liked them. The middle unison section always sounded badass to me.
By contrast, their other Muse-sounding song, Prophets of War, with it's metal riffing, and with its Queen-esque sound mixed in, is awful.

Panick Attack has that same Muse-ish vocal style in parts. It's the vocals more than the riffage that turn me off of Muse/songs that sound like Muse.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »
I guess I'm in the very small minority with regards to Doug.  I watch a LOT of reaction vids and while Doug is indeed very knowledgeable I find him a tad annoying with the CONSTANT key change notifications during the songs.  An occasional "Hey this is in B flat" is cool, but I don't want to hear about every key change.   Personal preference I guess...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2021, 11:58:51 AM »
Looks like Doug just covered "A Change Of Seasons".

https://youtu.be/jeHN2Rl16E8

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »
Personally I put ACOS in much higher regard than Octavarium. I think he didn't give the same attention to ACOS as he did to 8V, and the analysis was not in the same level. But he clarified some interesting points regarding tonality, song structure, etc. which I enjoy in all of his videos. Maybe my expectations of his reaction were higher than his own xD

Offline HOF

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2021, 01:06:11 PM »
Personally I put ACOS in much higher regard than Octavarium. I think he didn't give the same attention to ACOS as he did to 8V, and the analysis was not in the same level. But he clarified some interesting points regarding tonality, song structure, etc. which I enjoy in all of his videos. Maybe my expectations of his reaction were higher than his own xD

Same re ACOS over 8V. I watched this one last night, and while I still don’t get much out of his analysis or silly faces, I did enjoy jamming out to ACOS for the first time in a while.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2021, 08:09:30 PM »
Maybe it's more difficult to pick up on in a first listen, but I think Doug often misses out on a lot of the interesting time signature tricks that DT does -- especially in ACOS.  I also think he's been going more heavily on lyrical analysis, and I don't think that's his strong suit.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2021, 02:21:25 PM »
Doug’s gonna give his reaction to both Metropolis pt 1 and the whole Scenes from a Memory, next sunday. Just letting you guys know…
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
This is the first time i've heard A Change Of Seasons in YEARS and I still can't get into it. Why does so much of it remind me of Erotomania ?

LaBrie sounds great obviously but it's far too disjointed for me. It's still my least favourite DT 'epic'.  :sadpanda:

Sorry y'all.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2021, 05:02:01 PM »
Doug’s gonna give his reaction to both Metropolis pt 1 and the whole Scenes from a Memory, next sunday. Just letting you guys know…

my body is ready
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »
Looks like Doug just covered "A Change Of Seasons".

https://youtu.be/jeHN2Rl16E8

-Marc.

I enjoyed that a lot!  :tup

This is the first time i've heard A Change Of Seasons in YEARS and I still can't get into it. Why does so much of it remind me of Erotomania ?

LaBrie sounds great obviously but it's far too disjointed for me. It's still my least favourite DT 'epic'.  :sadpanda:

Sorry y'all.

No need to apologize.  It's your loss. :p  Not sure what you mean by disjointed.  Everything in that song works even though a couple of sections take an abrupt turn.  It all comes back full circle.

Looking forward that.  Thanks!  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2021, 01:58:14 PM »
I've watched like 40 of this guys videos thanks to this thread.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2021, 08:24:25 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PetFish

« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2021, 10:12:19 PM »
I've watched like 40 of this guys videos thanks to this thread.

That's great (for me)  to see!

Usually I kill threads cuz after I say something it just dies so it's nice to see something different for a change.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2021, 07:29:39 AM »
Usually I kill threads cuz after I say something it just dies so it's nice to see something different for a change.

Really, because of this thread I’ve been appreciating Octavarium so much more then I did. I’m very thankful of that.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2021, 08:09:13 AM »
Other people who do this kind of show usually hit the pause button while they're explaining something. He needs to do that because he misses cool stuff while he's talking.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2021, 08:58:53 AM »
Other people who do this kind of show usually hit the pause button while they're explaining something. He needs to do that because he misses cool stuff while he's talking.

Don't disagree but I doubt he's making much money from these videos (reacting to copyrighted content) and is doing it primarily for fun. If he has a real life to get back to why make the videos take longer to produce?
Over and over again

Offline pg1067

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2021, 10:01:30 AM »

He did it more when he first started, but I agree.  On the other hand, there are a couple folks who do these who seem to pause after every bar.  THAT is WAY more annoying, so if Doug is going to err either way, he's on the right side of the line.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »
^Agree.  Especially on the longer songs.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2021, 05:36:00 PM »

Currently Patreon only should be released this Thursday to the public
Over and over again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2021, 05:59:34 PM »

He did it more when he first started, but I agree.  On the other hand, there are a couple folks who do these who seem to pause after every bar.  THAT is WAY more annoying, so if Doug is going to err either way, he's on the right side of the line.

Yeah there’s a redhead who analyzes singing and she pauses after every bar. Too much.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2021, 06:19:28 PM »
My issue with Doug is that when he's in front of his piano, he's too distracted from the song because he's trying to play it. He misses some important parts because he's dicking around.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
My issue with Doug is that when he's in front of his piano, he's too distracted from the song because he's trying to play it. He misses some important parts because he's dicking around.

I get what you're saying Tim, but I think those are some of the older reactions.  He pretty much ditched the piano on the newer ones.  :tup

Haven't seen this yet but looking forward to it.  :tup