Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 33051 times)

Offline PetFish

Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs
« on: May 14, 2021, 09:45:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8r6T6kGZ2g

Not your typical reaction video.  This guy is awesome.  You can tell how much he loves music and what he does.  He really goes into detail about the musicianship/arrangement/etc and how in awe he is of Jordan and really the whole band.

The best part is how "spent" he looks at the end of the video and how full of joy he is going into the final few minutes.  He's literally going "TOUCHDOWN" with his arms when the song *cough* climaxes.

Watching this gave me a new appreciation for Dream Theater and how complex the music is that they write.  I feel like I/we take DT for granted sometimes cuz we're so familiar with them and have such a history.

But then I see something like this which gives me a fresh perspective from someone else's first-time and it's amazing.

I think he should have found the live version but this is still great.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 08:54:34 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Classical Composer Reacts to OCTAVARIUM
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 11:42:46 PM »
Great video. Worth it for the lyrical interpretation alone.

22:45
30:30
39:20
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 12:13:19 AM »
His reaction of „the count of tuscany“ is great two, he is my favourite reaction guy and he really knows, what he is talking about, I like all his reactions 👌🤘
Carpe diem baby

Offline mariner

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 07:41:31 AM »
Yes, and he also has perfect pitch, so he names chords as he hears them, and breaks down what they are doing from a theory standpoint, which you can really learn from.  I know that I do...

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 07:46:37 AM »
He is the only reaction person I continuously follow since he actually does analysis of every song. Rhapsody in Blue was cool since I didn't know the backstory. Seems like a nice guy as well 😊

Happy he gave 8V a listen and could give credit to the structure and feel excited to hear it again. At the same time i remember 8V was too much for me to understand it initially. I couldn't wait to spin it more but maybe took 5-10 times to get that mind-blowing sensation. Now it's my all time favorite and still love every second.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 06:51:05 PM »
Well...we now have a discussion about Doug in the Yes thread, a dedicated thread about Doug ( https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56455.0 ), and now this thread about his 8VM reaction video.   :)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 02:26:11 PM »
Yeah, watching his reactions is entertaining.  He had a pretty good review on The Odyssey by Symphony X.  He's a cool guy.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »
I've recently caught up on some of Doug's prog/prog-metal reaction videos, and I just laugh every time he brings up his aversion to rampant double-bass drumming. He's gonna have a hell of a time listening to more prog-metal if that's the case, so hopefully he doesn't pick some of the heavier DT/SX songs that are like that (so no Twelve-Step Suite songs!  :lol ).

His Octavarium reaction was really on point, and I love his ability to call out chords and key changes as the song goes along. I said to one friend "This guy really paid attention in Ear Training class!", and it really shows. Dude has an impressive ear, and I suspect his discovery of prog epics has been one of the best things he's done for his channel. Loved his reactions to "Close To The Edge" and "Supper's Ready" as well! He's definitely one of the best "music reaction" YouTubers I've ever seen, and I don't even mind that he stops the song every now and then because his comments are very enlightening, even to me, as someone who has known these songs for so long, because he brings up things that I might not have heard before!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 02:38:41 PM »
I've recently caught up on some of Doug's prog/prog-metal reaction videos, and I just laugh every time he brings up his aversion to rampant double-bass drumming. He's gonna have a hell of a time listening to more prog-metal if that's the case, so hopefully he doesn't pick some of the heavier DT/SX songs that are like that (so no Twelve-Step Suite songs!  :lol ).

His Octavarium reaction was really on point, and I love his ability to call out chords and key changes as the song goes along. I said to one friend "This guy really paid attention in Ear Training class!", and it really shows. Dude has an impressive ear, and I suspect his discovery of prog epics has been one of the best things he's done for his channel. Loved his reactions to "Close To The Edge" and "Supper's Ready" as well! He's definitely one of the best "music reaction" YouTubers I've ever seen, and I don't even mind that he stops the song every now and then because his comments are very enlightening, even to me, as someone who has known these songs for so long, because he brings up things that I might not have heard before!

-Marc.

I love how detailed he is. Even though I can't understand anything at all when it comes to music theory, he still makes it interesting, but yeah, he complains about double-bass drums a lot, which kinda annoys me :P

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 11:02:55 AM »
Maybe MM watches his videos too and decided to switch to a single bass drum.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 08:50:09 AM »
Octavarium was one of the songs I should have been given more time I did. Your link changed that and played a huge roll in understanding the song and therefore, lovin’ it so much more.

Thank you for this, what a talented guy he is...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 03:26:09 PM »
Octavarium was one of the songs I should have been given more time I did. Your link changed that and played a huge roll in understanding the song and therefore, lovin’ it so much more.

Thank you for this, what a talented guy he is...

If you haven't already, I recommend googling all of the theories behind the song, like the meaning of the numbers 5 and 8. If anyone has a good link to give you a headstart, go ahead and post it as I suck at remembering those thing xD

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 04:25:01 PM »
Octavarium is indeed a concept album no matter what the general masses define a "concept album", no matter what people on this board say and no matter what MP says, art is with the interpretation of the recipient and the artist risks interpretation when they present their art.

So suck it bitches !!!!!  :xbones

:metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 08:15:02 PM »
He just posted one for Illumination Theory. Best one yet.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 09:44:39 PM »
I never, ever tire of watching this video of IT. It evokes such emotion, has great energy and beautiful music. A top 5 for sure for me.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2021, 02:05:58 AM »

Thank you, kust checked it. Illumination Theory is without a doubt on of my all time favorites...

Offline krands85

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2021, 05:40:28 AM »
I was hoping he'd do one for IT  :coolio

Having no knowledge of music theory, I have no idea what he's talking about most of the time  :lol But I've really been enjoying his videos.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2021, 09:50:55 AM »
This is the same guy that did Close to the Edge by Yes as well.   I do enjoy watching these,  as long as they are legit.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2021, 10:00:14 PM »

Such good stuff!  When he stopped down and really got into the theory of the middle section was great.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2021, 10:25:35 PM »

Such good stuff!  When he stopped down and really got into the theory of the middle section was great.

Exactly, perfect part. He did the same on the Count of Tuscany. Must say, the four songs he already did, Dance of Eternity, Count of Tuscany, Octavarium and Illumination Theory... he choses from the very best. Hope he will do Change of Seasons or the Twelve Step Suite in the future...

Offline darkshade

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 07:59:03 AM »
I never, ever tire of watching this video of IT. It evokes such emotion, has great energy and beautiful music. A top 5 for sure for me.

I prefer it over the studio version.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 10:47:38 AM »
Another nice video. I was surprised that he didn't mention Tchaikovsky  :P

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 05:33:34 PM »
He did a spot-on great job explaining the chord phrasing and time sigs. I think he was fairly close on the meaning of the lyrics too.  Gotta love his enthusiasm, great video!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 09:17:42 AM »
Any time more people can get into DT it’s a good thing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2021, 03:48:05 PM »

This guy is just so cool!  I wish I had one tenth of his knowledge on music theory,  and perfect pitch.  I bet he'd be a lot of fun to sit with at a DT concert, as you could see the immense amount of appreciation on his face the whole time.   His reaction video's should become a weekly thing on the music Axis channel  or something like that.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2021, 01:23:03 AM »
I normally despise the idea of ˇREACTION OMG!!! videos but this one was really good as he definitely knows his theory and seemingly has perfect pitch.

I was bored one day so watched the whole video. I like hearing his thoughts based in theory and composition rather than OMG THIS IS KEWL or OMG LOL THIS SUCKS!!!!

I will watch the Illumination Theory one at some point but IT is nowhere near one of my fave DT songs. It definitely feels like a hodge-podge rather than a song - just to get it to 20+ minutes.

EDIT - Listening to Octavarium ( song ) again just highlights, for me the idea that Scenes - Octavarium was their magic period and Systematic onwards was missing...something.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2021, 02:04:06 AM »

EDIT - Listening to Octavarium ( song ) again just highlights, for me the idea that Scenes - Octavarium was their magic period and Systematic onwards was missing...something.

Same exact thing happened to me last week, and actually going back to Octavarium was promped by Doug reaction video (first reaction video i've ever seen).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2021, 02:20:57 AM »
Systematic Chaos was for me - an attempt to redo the Octavarium album but darker / heavier. With less than stellar results. The entire second half of SC is so slow and dull.

Repentance followed by Ministry is a SLOG.

Yes even ITPOE part 2. I think Black Clouds was a better album overall. Dranatic Turn a little better. DT12 a little better except for the snare sound. I loved TA and D/T is like they

recaptured their SFAM-OCT mojo.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2021, 06:48:39 AM »
D/T is probably the MM album that I listen to the most in its entirety in one sitting. The other ones are mostly one song here and there.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2021, 09:05:11 AM »
The entire second half of SC is so slow and dull.

Well, that's because your missing the energetic song that is between Repentance and The Ministry Of Lost Souls... :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2021, 11:26:45 AM »

Well, that's because your missing the energetic song that is between Repentance and The Ministry Of Lost Souls... :lol
POW! 💥

Offline darkshade

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2021, 02:16:27 PM »
I love Octavarium (the album) and Systematic Chaos has aged well for me, but 8vm was the end of an era, the classic DT era (IaW-8vm). BC&SL was a better album, and showed promise of what could have been, but MP leaving DT shook up the band to my ears. ADTOE sounds inspired, due to the events leading up to its creation, but it was obvious something was off (whereas you could argue the shift from Moore on Awake to DS on FII wasn't such a dramatic shift in the band's core sound, just that the writing changed a little on FII.) and the production values, for the most part, have been questionable between the 4 albums with Mangini IMO. I actually think they sounded best on ADTOE, JP's clean guitar is great, Myung is very present, as is JR, it's just that the drums are mixed too low and the heavy guitars are not beefy like they had been on the previous 5 albums.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2021, 03:46:47 PM »

:hat I listen to SC so little to care. Prophets is not even as good as Never Enough.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 10:43:06 PM »
I love Octavarium (the album) and Systematic Chaos has aged well for me, but 8vm was the end of an era, the classic DT era (IaW-8vm). BC&SL was a better album, and showed promise of what could have been, but MP leaving DT shook up the band to my ears. ADTOE sounds inspired, due to the events leading up to its creation, but it was obvious something was off (whereas you could argue the shift from Moore on Awake to DS on FII wasn't such a dramatic shift in the band's core sound, just that the writing changed a little on FII.) and the production values, for the most part, have been questionable between the 4 albums with Mangini IMO. I actually think they sounded best on ADTOE, JP's clean guitar is great, Myung is very present, as is JR, it's just that the drums are mixed too low and the heavy guitars are not beefy like they had been on the previous 5 albums.

I pretty much agree with everything here- including the opinion that ADToE, with all of its own problems, is the last DT album that sounds like it had a budget and wasn’t written and recorded in a closet over a long holiday weekend  (although Astonishing definitely has some positives in the the sound department).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2021, 04:07:58 AM »

I pretty much agree with everything here- including the opinion that ADToE, with all of its own problems, is the last DT album that sounds like it had a budget and wasn’t written and recorded in a closet over a long holiday weekend  (although Astonishing definitely has some positives in the the sound department).

Also, The Astonishing definitely sounds like it had some budget. And it had to have some. Including three choirs, an orchestra and Dave Campbell must have cost quite a few bucks...
any rock can be made to roll