News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs

Started by PetFish, May 14, 2021, 08:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Letter M

Quote from: pg1067 on March 27, 2024, 09:04:18 AM
Every once in a while, I go back to some of his earlier videos, and there was so much more meat to them.  I like Elizabeth Zharoff's ("The Charismatic Voice") style so much more than what Doug is doing now, but I'm not as interested in the vocal focus.  If she had Doug's overall musical knowledge, it'd be perfect.

I've seen a couple of her videos and while her analysis is pretty good, she's the only "music reaction channel" I know that can make a 40 minute video out of a 5 minute song.

-Marc.

pg1067

Quote from: TAC on March 27, 2024, 09:11:42 AM
I think it was her that pointed out how Michael Kiske stands while he's singing and how it affects his ability to sing.

Yep.  She's done the same with JLB (either LALP or BT4W or maybe both).  She really emphasizes how one's overall body position impacts the ability to hit high or otherwise difficult notes.  She also emphasizes the singer's mouth position.

One of my favorite of her videos was an analysis of one of her own live performance from X years prior.  Her worst habit is occasionally picking an inferior version (live or studio) or using a video where live footage is synced to the studio version and (seemingly) not knowing that's what it is.

Quote from: The Letter M on March 27, 2024, 09:22:50 AM
she's the only "music reaction channel" I know that can make a 40 minute video out of a 5 minute song.

Yeah...whereas Doug almost never stops the song to analyze something, Elizabeth is at the other end of the spectrum in that regard.

Dream Team

Elizabeth does a great job, I love how she analyzed some of Ann Wilson's songs. But yeah her stuff drags on too much so I don't watch anymore. She also did a really good one on Russell Allen's amazing singing on The Odyssey.

Wim Kruithof

Daily Doug uploaded his reaction to The Dark Eternal Night... worth watching.

brakkum

Nice! He's the only "reacts" videos I watch, because he actually has something interesting to say musically

Wim Kruithof

Quote from: brakkum on June 15, 2024, 02:25:28 PM
Nice! He's the only "reacts" videos I watch, because he actually has something interesting to say musically

exact the same for me.

pg1067

I didn't care for his TDEN video.  Pretty much zero analysis.

TheHoveringSojourn808

Maybe the first DT single from the new album will get a Daily Doug Reacts video the hour it drops

hefdaddy42

Quote from: brakkum on June 15, 2024, 02:25:28 PM
He does when he actually does that.  He went through a stretch where he seemed to focus more on lyrics than music, so I stopped watching.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

MinistroRaven

Ha ha, Doug clapping and dancing through TDEN was so funny. But aside from that and some funny faces, he didn't say anything interesting.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

MinistroRaven

Quote from: TAC on June 17, 2024, 11:20:23 AM
He never does.

When he started doing the DT songs I think he added some interesting comments, then he started analyzing lyrics, and now he doesn't say anything at all. Just funny faces, drink his scotch and that's it.

Orbert

I saw one a while back where he lit up a bowl of pot and hit it a few times.  That surprised me, not that he smokes, but that he'd do it in a YouTube video.  But hey, his channel, he can do whatever.

TAC

Quote from: Orbert on June 17, 2024, 11:27:18 AM
I saw one a while back where he lit up a bowl of pot and hit it a few times. 

Oh, that's sooo cool.  :\
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

pg1067

Quote from: MinistroRaven on June 17, 2024, 11:23:04 AM
When he started doing the DT songs I think he added some interesting comments, then he started analyzing lyrics, and now he doesn't say anything at all. Just funny faces, drink his scotch and that's it.

I'm watching him doing "the rest of" Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (i.e., the songs on the album to which he hasn't yet reacted).  So far, he's about halfway through Moonchild.  He's done a slight bit of analysis, but he mostly just sits there air-drumming and reading the lyrics.  Granted, 90% of Maiden is just I-vi-vii, but bands like Yes and Dream Theater deserve some actual musical analysis.

TheBarstoolWarrior

I would like to see classical composer reacts to classical composition from Doug. Maybe that would be more in the wheelhouse.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

TheCountOfNYC

For people who want more musical analysis than Doug offers but don't like how often Elizabeth stops the song she's reacting to, I recommend Critical Reactions. He quietly shares some initial thoughts as the music is playing and lets the song play without stops, then at the end of the first listen he gives a longer, more in-depth analysis. He hasn't really reacted to Dream Theater in a while because he's covered most of the longer epics already, but his channel is worth checking out, as he covers a lot of other prog bands as well.