Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 34585 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs
« Reply #350 on: September 21, 2023, 01:03:57 PM »
I'll make the analogy of going to the movies with a friend. Would you rather go with a friend who knows a bit about the film going in, like who the stars are, maybe the director or producers, the studio, the composer, and is mostly silent throughout the viewing? Or a friend who goes in completely blind and has to ask questions through the whole thing, especially if it's a film you know and are showing them for the first time?

I'm quite puzzled by this analogy.  If I go to a movie, I want the people I go with to be quiet, regardless of their prior knowledge of anyone involved with the movie.  If I go to a movie with someone who sits there and asks questions through the whole thing, it'll likely be the last time I attend a movie with that person.

Doug Helvering does homework (I don't think he did for his earliest reaction videos, but he certainly has for quite a while).  He makes no secret that he does that, and I don't see how it diminishes things.  I don't think he listens to songs ahead of time, though.  There are, of course, some songs he's reacted to that he's heard before (e.g., I think he reacted to Back in Black for some reason), and he says so when that's the case.  For bands like Rush and Dream Theater, he doesn't react the same way as when he first listened to them because he's become somewhat familiar with their style (compare his reactions to LVS and Octavarium with any of the more recent reactions).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #351 on: September 21, 2023, 01:59:17 PM »
No one has ever asked me who the director of the movie is during the movie and that would be pretty silly.

I used to enjoy big doug's reactions for their genuine, raw responses. Learning that he does research beforehand does give his analyses more depth, but it does take away from the authenticity of the initial reaction. It's like finding out your favorite magician's tricks – it makes you question what's genuine and what's staged.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #352 on: September 21, 2023, 02:16:56 PM »
if you're watching a movie and you don't know who the director is, are you even watching it?  :corn :rollin
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #353 on: September 21, 2023, 02:29:33 PM »
I don't care whether a reactor has heard a song before or done research before.  It's only "staged" or "fake" when they say or imply that they haven't, when in fact they have.  Personally, I love it when a reactor says "I've heard this song before," or "I've seen this movie before," or "I've done some research beforehand so I can make some educated comments."  Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.  Just be honest.  I've heard some really insightful reactions from many who are upfront about already being familiar with the content they are watching.  Those kinds of videos and the analysis and discussion you get are just as valid as those where the person is experiencing something for the first time and just having something that is truly a "reaction."  They're both fun, for different reasons.

What kills me is the ones that are lying.  I remember a video awhile back where someone was reacting to Pisces, and like most other reaction videos, swore they had never heard the song before.  There were a few tells they were lying, but the funniest was when their timing was off, and they did the obligatory eye-pop and jaw-drop--a split second BEFORE Tatiana started growling.  :lol 

Anyway, as far as Doug's channel specifically, I grew tired of it a long time ago and dislike it for other reasons that have nothing to do with him having done research.  But good for him that he is doing something he likes, and is building a community of devoted supporters and making a bit of money from doing that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #354 on: September 21, 2023, 03:12:40 PM »
I grew tired of it a long time ago and dislike it for other reasons that have nothing to do with him having done research

is it the ganja?  :hat
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #355 on: September 21, 2023, 03:17:02 PM »
Don't think I ever saw that, so no, not directly.  But it doesn't help his case. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #356 on: September 21, 2023, 03:20:06 PM »
Don't think I ever saw that, so no, not directly.  But it doesn't help his case.

ah, ok. yeah the first time i saw doug light up a bowl during a review (the other day when energythief shared the video, see above) i was a little shocked, lol. i don't have a problem with it but i probably wouldn't do it in my videos if it was me personally
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #357 on: September 21, 2023, 03:25:01 PM »

ah, ok. yeah the first time i saw doug light up a bowl during a review (the other day when energythief shared the video, see above) i was a little shocked, lol. i don't have a problem with it but i probably wouldn't do it in my videos if it was me personally

When I first saw him do that a year or two ago, it definitely caught me by surprise but I initial reaction was more along the lines of "Oh...so he's THAT kind of music fan. Nice." and every time he's done it since, it doesn't bother me much. Heck, some songs/bands are enhanced by that and I don't blame him for taking that into consideration when listening to music. It's legal in many states now anyways, so it's not like he's breaking any laws. He's also partaken in many beers and liquors while reacting as well, and I'm sure a lot of folks here have done that themselves, or know people who have, so I don't begrudge Doug for doing it himself.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #358 on: September 21, 2023, 03:27:52 PM »

When I first saw him do that a year or two ago, it definitely caught me by surprise but I initial reaction was more along the lines of "Oh...so he's THAT kind of music fan. Nice." and every time he's done it since, it doesn't bother me much. Heck, some songs/bands are enhanced by that and I don't blame him for taking that into consideration when listening to music. It's legal in many states now anyways, so it's not like he's breaking any laws. He's also partaken in many beers and liquors while reacting as well, and I'm sure a lot of folks here have done that themselves, or know people who have, so I don't begrudge Doug for doing it himself.

-Marc.

totally. i guess i just wouldn't film myself smoking weed on a monetized platform. not a judgement call, i smoke plenty of herb lol, but just something of myself i wouldn't want out there in public generally. again, it's not something that turns me away either but i am always like "huh" when i see it lol.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #359 on: September 21, 2023, 04:16:13 PM »
if you're watching a movie and you don't know who the director is, are you even watching it?  :corn :rollin

Aside from Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark movies (and probably a few others), I doubt I've ever known who directed the movies I've seen.  I've seen three movies in the theater this year and have watched several others at home, and I have no idea who directed any of them.

I don't care whether a reactor has heard a song before or done research before.  It's only "staged" or "fake" when they say or imply that they haven't, when in fact they have.  Personally, I love it when a reactor says "I've heard this song before," or "I've seen this movie before," or "I've done some research beforehand so I can make some educated comments."  Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.  Just be honest.

Bingo.  When Doug did side 1 of Blizzard of Ozz, he noted that he had, of course, heard Crazy Train before, but he noted that he had never given it a critical listen.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2023, 03:11:23 PM »
Doug did a reaction on In the Presence of Enemies, pt. I & pt.II. "They gave it the good old Shine on You Crazy Diamond-treatment, by splitting it up." Very nice reactionvideo.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2023, 03:35:54 PM »
Doug did a reaction on In the Presence of Enemies, pt. I & pt.II. "They gave it the good old Shine on You Crazy Diamond-treatment, by splitting it up." Very nice reactionvideo.

is that a new video?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2023, 04:14:29 PM »

is that a new video?

New as of today.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #363 on: September 22, 2023, 04:27:42 PM »
Awesome.  I'll have to check that out later tonight after I self medicate.  lol   :hat :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

« Reply #364 on: September 22, 2023, 06:45:10 PM »
Awesome.  I'll have to check that out later tonight after I self medicate.  lol   :hat :2metal:

can i hear an amen!
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2023, 10:34:38 PM »

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #366 on: November 02, 2023, 02:22:34 PM »
The Doug is doing another one this monday and let us choose which one,

- A Nightmare to Remember
- In the Name of God
- The Best of Times
- The Big Medley

I chose The Big Medley, which is obviously not gonna win. Looking forward to the reactionvideo, from probably In the Name of God.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #367 on: November 02, 2023, 02:31:42 PM »
I really hope it's ITNOG.  It'll be fun to see him catch the Battle Hymn of the Republic at the end.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #368 on: November 02, 2023, 07:53:38 PM »
I really hope it's ITNOG.  It'll be fun to see him catch the Battle Hymn of the Republic at the end.

Assuming that ITNOG wins, he may end up doing the live version from Budokan
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #369 on: November 02, 2023, 10:06:32 PM »

Isn't ITNOG one of the few album epics he hasn't done yet for a DT Video? Probably that and the AMBI suite are all that's left.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #370 on: November 03, 2023, 09:56:19 AM »

That would also be excellent.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #371 on: November 03, 2023, 10:03:06 AM »

I hope not.  There have been several songs where he's picked live versions.  He really ought to do the studio version.  We'll see in a few hours next week, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 01:05:05 PM by pg1067 »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #372 on: November 03, 2023, 12:46:20 PM »

Isn't ITNOG one of the few album epics he hasn't done yet for a DT Video? Probably that and the AMBI suite are all that's left.

-Marc.

Pretty much. I've been banging the drum for Awake to get the same treatment he did for I&W where he breaks the album up into sides over a couple episodes.

I hope not.  There have been several songs where he's picked live versions.  He really ought to do the studio version.  We'll see in a few hours, I guess.

He might well do the album version, but at least one or two people in his Discord have been lobbying for the live version.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #373 on: November 13, 2023, 02:51:04 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggrYzHpH3ko

Studio version.  Decent analysis.  Lots of focus on the lyrics.  I really wish he'd stop the recording once in a while to try and pick up on some of the timing nuances.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #374 on: November 17, 2023, 06:00:15 PM »
Yeah that wasn’t one of his best. Lots of head banging, air drumming, and lyrical commentary.   :tdwn

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #375 on: November 18, 2023, 04:57:37 AM »
Decent, but surely not one of his best. Illumination Theory, The Count and Octavarium (studio version), those remain his best I would say... all downhill after that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #376 on: November 18, 2023, 07:45:57 AM »
Doug air-drumming to any song is the whitest white man shit I have ever seen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #377 on: January 24, 2024, 02:24:13 PM »

if anyone was interested in Doug's DT take. maybe the youtubers should have invited him to join DTF!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2024, 01:32:38 PM »
Haven't look at his channel in a while. Decided to look today and he just posted Trial of Tears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZYoih2gFRg
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #379 on: March 09, 2024, 05:10:00 AM »
Thank you Lonk, was an enjoyful reactionvideo.

Strange although it seems, but Falling Into Infinity is one of their least albums for me, but it surely 's got some pearls in their tracklist there. I just can't really connect to it as a whole. With When Dream and Day Unite the two albums I do not listen on a regular base, Trial of Tears however is a really beautiful piece.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #380 on: March 26, 2024, 06:03:06 PM »
I want to like Doug's videos more but I dropped off because I found a lot of them to be lyrical analysis and air drumming. There hasn't been much musical analysis in the videos I watched. It made me question why am I watching this and why does it matter that he is a classical composer when he isn't talking about the music.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #381 on: March 26, 2024, 07:35:39 PM »
The epics contain his best musical breakdowns by far.

« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2024, 07:25:43 AM »
i definitely prefer the daily doug to guitargate's crying on stream videos
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2024, 10:04:18 AM »
I want to like Doug's videos more but I dropped off because I found a lot of them to be lyrical analysis and air drumming. There hasn't been much musical analysis in the videos I watched. It made me question why am I watching this and why does it matter that he is a classical composer when he isn't talking about the music.

Exactly!

I watched his "Battle of Evermore" video, and it was nothing but him sitting there smiling and reading the lyrics.  He also seems to be spending more and more time before the video talking about the background of the song and they at the end of the video summing up the lyrical message.  And he has said he doesn't want to stop the music to talk because he doesn't want to make the videos too long.

Every once in a while, I go back to some of his earlier videos, and there was so much more meat to them.  I like Elizabeth Zharoff's ("The Charismatic Voice") style so much more than what Doug is doing now, but I'm not as interested in the vocal focus.  If she had Doug's overall musical knowledge, it'd be perfect.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #384 on: March 27, 2024, 10:11:42 AM »

Every once in a while, I go back to some of his earlier videos, and there was so much more meat to them.  I like Elizabeth Zharoff's ("The Charismatic Voice") style so much more than what Doug is doing now, but I'm not as interested in the vocal focus.  If she had Doug's overall musical knowledge, it'd be perfect.

I think it was her that pointed out how Michael Kiske stands while he's singing and how it affects his ability to sing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol